BNW question, am I doing something wrong?

WeirdAl

Chieftain
Hi all.

I've been a civilization nut since way back in the mid nineties, I've loved all the iterations of the game and have racked up hundreds of hours on civ 5 up til now.

A couple of years ago, I got the Brave New World expansion. I thought first that the additions it made were great, they really fleshed out many of the game's parts and added whole new onjectives and ways to play.

But then i went theough three whole games without a war. I'm a defensive player and play only on single player, so usually I avoid war unless I'm attacked or there's some tyrannical empire on the planet I can fight against. I noticed that as well as hardly ever finding myself at war, the AI players now seemed massively stunted. Most games now end with around half of the land in the world uncolonised, it's not unusual to see luxury and tactical resources uncaptured just outside AI borders. The AI player seem to be totally uninterested in expansion at all, and when they do, they tend to spread out widely and end up as small island cities not connected by and cohesive border.

I decided to myself that my play style just wasn't compatible with the new expansion, but even if I was attempting conquest victories it would be mostly a walkover, as the AI players usually have only a few cities. Turning the difficulty level up doesn't alter the way the AI players now work, it just makes it more difficult to grow my own empire.

It made me leave the game. I really love the additions of BNW, but it seems to have made the game pointless. I keep returning to it, thinking maybe an update will correct it, but usually I get halfway through a game and lose interest. I decided to try again last week, a few days later I feel let down again.

Yet I've seen no-one else mention this anywhere. Have I got something set up wrong? Or is everyone just playing multiplayer? Everybody seems to be unanimously agreed that BNW has improved the game and nobody else ever mentions the stunted AI empires, lack of any real aggression in either expansion or warfare, or the fact that most ganes now end with most of the worlds uncolonised.

Am I the only one this is happening to, or does nobody else mind?

Check your game cache (in case something got messed up somewhere), and what difficulty level do you play at? I feel that in Immortal and above the AI are massively land / power / culture hungry and will steam roll you if you give them the chance.

What difficulty do you normally play?
I find that the AI players do expand quite a bit so this is not really normally a problem

At least on deity, the AI will settle any piece of land that can be settled. It is common for AI to settle every island on the map. It also makes culture victory hard as large empire means that their culture is massive.

Did notice a weird one in a game the other day. Was playing on immortal, took over Korea's capital, they had several unimproved resources nearby, within their borders. Considering it was the industrial era I was surprised.

AI expands continuously and consistently throughout the entire game on immortal/deity in my experience

Did notice a weird one in a game the other day. Was playing on immortal, took over Korea's capital, they had several unimproved resources nearby, within their borders. Considering it was the industrial era I was surprised.

This shouldn't happen on immortal either, maybe they just recently acquired the tile, and your conquest shifted their priority?

Below Immortal, AI feels like its half dead and the other half is asleep.

There are mods that can help. Google something like "Civ 5 more aggressive AI" or "Civ 5 more war". Something in that direction. "War", "expansion", "aggressive", "better AI".

Civ5 is like Skyrim. Nice, ok-ish. Much better with mods.

Ta for the replies :)

It sounds like the difficulty might be the issue, I've always just played on "hard" mode, is it king level? I usually play marathon length games on huge continental worlds, and anything above hard seems a bit unbalanced for the way I play, I like long leisurely games with a few bursts of frantic war. Up til BNW everything was great, i reckon the trading system has probably just stunted the AI players at difficulties less than immortal.

I'll maybe try upping the difficulty or maybe a mod or two to try and get them going. I feel better just hearing that the AI is a bit crappy at hard level, nobody seemed to havebnoticed at all 😂

Hard mode means immortal and above. I think King/Emperor is pretty much medium. Anything easier is too easy.

You're better off at King (even though less wars).

One can build classical wonders at King, but at Emperor or above it's near impossible.

One can build classical wonders at King, but at Emperor or above it's near impossible.

Nonsense. On Emperor you can get like 90%+ of the Ancient Wonders if you try and have a semi decent start. The main "problem" comes from Wonders way off the usual tech path like Colossus.

If you want, roll a start that you consider at least decent with a Civ of your choice and I'll demonstrate with a video.

Classical wonders are pretty easy on immortal too. Only on deity where classical/ancient wonders get into difficult to build category.

Classical wonders are pretty easy on immortal too. Only on deity where classical/ancient wonders get into difficult to build category.

Eh. Sometimes stuff like Great Library can go really fast even on Immortal -- you could still get it if you really, really, really wanted it but you might have to sacrifice a lot. And it becomes less feasible to snatch all or nearly all of them...though you can get specific ones that you desire, yeah.

GL is ancient era, but yes, even on deity it is possible but almost never worth the investment unless the game is specifically OCC with very strong start.

It sounds like the difficulty might be the issue, I've always just played on "hard" mode, is it king level? I usually play marathon length games on huge continental worlds, and anything above hard seems a bit unbalanced for the way I play, I like long leisurely games with a few bursts of frantic war.

I like to play the same way, and have the same frustrations. On King or Emperor and especially on the larger map sizes it's frustrating to see large swathes of decent land empty next to cities and then the AI will choose to pop up a city in a :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) location the other side of the continent. Also leaving just three hexes between cities drives me mad, why do they do that?

When I've finished my current game I'll download Acken's AI mod, which apparently greatly improves AI decision making in things you're after like war and expansion. It makes the game harder, not by giving the AI more of a headstart but instead by making it better.

I just may take you up on your offer one of these days, LordBalkoth.

GL is ancient era, but yes, even on deity it is possible but almost never worth the investment unless the game is specifically OCC with very strong start.

Right, Ancient. Used to things like the Pantheon belief and the Marble bonus applying to Ancient AND Classical wonders and mentally combined them into the Classcient era or something.

Top Bottom