Rare events in your Civ 5 games.

Callonia

Deity
I'm not sure on how to explain this but things that basically almost never happen because geography never favors it. But when it does, it is awesome big time.

To try explain it, I shall start with few pics!

First one!
I was able to leverage an citadel to lay siege on Iroquois capital that's on coastal because I settled the islands near his capital during classical era. (The city of mine just south of Onondaga, actually built the prora!) And that citadel was instrumental in making sure my ships was healed and sustain it's bombardment onto enemy units + capital. It was very tough nut to crack, I didn't dare to start the bombardment until I have the Frigates because they're tough enough to avoid being oneshotted.

And what any of Iroquois navy that existed couldn't really push me away because I have the citadel to protect them! It was pretty much an sea fortress in that game.

Spoiler :

This Victoria Lake is the only time I've seen it in fertile lands that isn't snow. EVER. It was such a prime location that first settler I built was sent immediately with almost my entire military to ensure the settlement remain in my hands. To the point where I started a war with Ethopia for settling that poorly located settlement of Harar. That war didn't end until it burnt. By end of the game, it was extremely powerful city. Eclipsed my capital which was already in pretty good location.

Spoiler :

This is the second or third time I have seen Krakatoa in workable distance!!! It was awesome, I sent an settler here and it became one good port city thats faraway from me with big navy protecting it. It ended up being a good location to prune what majority of barbarians before they reach the most of the shipping lanes in the world.

Initial beginning of the colony was almost overwhelmed by the barbarian navy but they just didn't have enough just barely. If they had five more ironclads or six more privateers, they would've done me in and pillaged the colony. :lol: And that is with me going in there and fortifying it with 10+ privateers and few frigates eventually supported by a couple of ironclads. After major threat passed, they split up to stomp onto more patrolling barbarians.

Spoiler :

Here's a few:

1. An AI swapping great works of art with me. I've only seen it once, every time I swap.

2. Cities revolting and joining other civs, I've only seen that happen maybe 2-3 times.

3. AI giving me strategic resources for free. I needed some Iron once and asked for the price and the AI (Japan) was like bro, you can take it.

I had an AI vote for me to be host -- once and only once. No bribes involved. I had not been playing any differently than usual.

I reloaded because I put all my votes towards him to have him win, but then a third party won -- and I could not figured out why my usual ploy didn't work. The friendly AI had given me all their votes instead of voting for his own self.

So that “I will return the favor” message? Not totally BS!

I'm not sure on how to explain this but things that basically almost never happen because geography never favors it. But when it does, it is awesome big time.
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

Here's a few:
I have given up on looking for (1). I have gotten two AI initiated swaps, but neither one helped me. (2) is not that rare in my experience. I think I have only gotten a city once, and it probably was not at Deity. But I think AI cities revolting to join another AI civ happens about one in five games. I don’t think twice about it any more. (3) I have never experienced! Good for you!

Had an allied City State (nearly) entierly razing an ennemy.

I shared borders with Ethiopia, who was land-locked on the bottom right hand side of the map, with my allied CS right behind him.

Ethiopia declared war on me (just like everyone in this game as I was REXing like crazy), and started sending units on our border. I was having a hard time (because i was at war with everyone as I said), but I found it weird that he was sending so few units. By the time I killed the units and reached his first city, I saw the message popping on the screen that Ethiopia had lost its capitol. I took a look at the situation, and this allied CS (that I wasn't even really aware of) had an insane army, had already took and razed another city before the capitole, and was moving its troops towards Ethiopia's last city. I took the border city, the CS took Ethiopia's last city, razed it, and we never heard of Ethiopia again.

Most of the times, allied CS are buffer state at best, and very rarely send their troups out of their soil. Not only this one did, but it went on a rampage far away from its original land.

Great pics, Callonia. I love that citadel. I'd love to have a game like that :)

I once was playing as the Aztecs and my starting point was right next to Lake Victoria and a river. I ended up building the hanging gardens and the temple of artemis, and that combined with the floating garden my capital grew like crazy. I couldn't believe all the food. And all that jungle for science!

That was the only time I was able to settle near Lake Victoria, though I have had maybe two games where I was able to settle a second or third city near it. I hardly see Lake Victoria.

I love that citadel. I'd love to have a game like that
Me too! I have planted a defensive citadel on a 1-tile island outside one of my own coastal cities -- but they never see any action. That would only have been in games where I have GG to spare.

@OP, would I be correct to assume that the Landsknecht on the citadel in your screenshot has the medic promotion? It is a sweet setup!

In one game Spain was in war with Rome. CS (spains ally) captured Rome (capitol). Rare. What was odd, that when Spain/Rome war ended, Spain attacked that CS, captured CSs original city so Rome become sort of a City State.

Had an allied City State (nearly) entierly razing an ennemy.

You are lucky Venice or Austria wasn't in that game. They would've puppeted that CS empire so quick! ;)

Rare events that happened in my games:

- REXed 12 cities and founded the world's most powerful religion on pangaea/huge expecting tons of fun wars and conflict. Had 2 religious neighbors with their own religion that I boxed in and they still wanted to be best friends along with every other neighbor. Never sent missionaries or prophets, never attacked or was mean to me...seriously? boring game to say the least...I guess everyone rolled peaceful flavors for once including Rome who consistently kept one of the weakest armies all game. Huns started next to Venice and never attacked him either. :p

- One game I started near a nice-looking northern tundra sea. I quickly put two nice cities up there for trading only to realize 80 turns later that the sea was entirely sealed by ice on both sides. It was huge, with enough room for 3 CS and a few of my cities, but no connection to the outside world. It became my private little trading playground all game lol.

- On a recent Byzantine game the entire, huge world chose order, with the sole exception of Korea who went freedom. They then proceeded to denounce everyone, including backstabbing all their friends, for choosing order, then everyone in the world attacked them at once. I didn't really care about the fight but he was the only real tech contender so I sent over a fleet of battleships to xp farm and watch the show. Most entertaining late game I've seen yet. So many subs and ships dying every turn! :D by the end most of my battleships were near logistics.

In one game Spain was in war with Rome. CS (spains ally) captured Rome (capitol). Rare. What was odd, that when Spain/Rome war ended, Spain attacked that CS, captured CSs original city so Rome become sort of a City State.

I would love to see it happen but I always love having Rome as my favourite CS:lol: I leave Caesar with one city empire and then threaten him or pay others to attack him just for fun. And if they exterminate him then they will be denounced and I too will join the plot of enforcing justice to a new villain:D

I've only had one game where Cracker-toes was in a useful location as you noted.

I rarely get starting locations where my capital will be surrounded by hills or inaccessible terrain or a deep cove, where as it seems to happen much more to the AIs (two caveats on that, I don't care to try and hunt down a better location at the start, at most I might delay a turn or two; there are a lot more AIs than just me so it would be natural to see them get these locations more).

And as brought up in another thread, I've yet to see a city-state take someone's capital, can't wait to try and make it happen.

Me too! I have planted a defensive citadel on a 1-tile island outside one of my own coastal cities -- but they never see any action. That would only have been in games where I have GG to spare.

@OP, would I be correct to assume that the Landsknecht on the citadel in your screenshot has the medic promotion? It is a sweet setup!

Nah, only double shock or Raw Recruit fresh out of city. Its rare for me to have infantry units with medic promo.

Playing OCC, I had set up my religion to exert pressure +30% distance, and set up +2 faith per city outside your civ that has the religion, and to only get 50% removed when Inquisitors or GPs use their abilities.

I had converted CSs around all the major civs on a Oval map so I was slowly flipping cities and having fun watching the AIs waste 2 Missionaries per 1 use of mine on their own cities. I had already told Casimir he could F off when he asked me to stop spreading. That's the kind of reaction you get from me when you've already invaded my lands twice!

Now, this whole time I'm allied to Nebuchadnezzar but he's off to the side of the Oval with me between him and everything but 1 or 2 CSs. All my missionaries and GPs had been sent to the other side so I hadn't actually flipped any of his cities yet even though all 3 of them had followers of my religion in them. None had a majority religion. Finally I get around to sending a Missionary over there. While in transit one of his expos flipped to my religion and his 2nd expo flipped to another. Then the World Congress was founded. Because I'm OCC I was nowhere near being able to propose.

Nebuchadnezzar proposes my religion as the world religion!!!

Every so often I'll see two neighbouring CSes locked in a perpetual thousand year war because at one point they were on opposite sides of a war but there was never peace between the CSes probably because one civ lost support or both or something.

I found a double Holy City once. Edinburgh was captured by someone, can't remember who. But anyway, I guess they maybe grabbed it as Boudicca generated a second or third GP? And then it was the AI, with a GP, in a city, without a home-grown religion yet, and they pressed the found button.

Had 2 Culture jungles without BWCs recently. I was filling Piety, and I decided to make my second city my Holy City as it was Coastal and I wanted East Indies + Great Temple passive spread. My Pantheon was the main faith in my Capital... followed by my Religion's pressure-driven spread, which stacked with the 'pure' Pantheon due to Tolerance.

Currently on a GLib-HG-Petra-no settlers conquest game. About to build a long chain of Citadels to grab some luxes that'll keep the Empire functional when I puppet a sixth capital.

Once saw an American Samurai. Wished there was an editor like Civ IV, I'd have renamed him Tom Cruise XD

Today: "Singapore has proven that the Earth is round"

Every so often I'll see two neighbouring CSes locked in a perpetual thousand year war because at one point they were on opposite sides of a war but there was never peace between the CSes probably because one civ lost support or both or something.

This happens quite a lot in my games but I only play to conquer the world. One thing I have noticed is if you make peace with somebody but the deal doesn't include making peace with their city-states, if you do make peace with them on the same turn you get the perpetual war thing but if you wait a turn or two than your city-states will make peace with them when you do...of course this only works when you're involved.

Edit: per lindsay40k below: this also works if you wipe out a civ, wait a turn before making peace with the city states.

Oh yeah, once I found a trireme at an isolated island that was surrounded by deep water, had no roads (hence no city was razzed) and King K was not in that game, if I remember right it belonged to China...my theory is it got washed there by a tsunami.

Isn't it most likely to happen when you wipe out someone when both of you have allies? I quite want to conquer Alexander now, and watch the mayhem :D

this may not be a rare event but Genghis has something wrong in the head.

This happened:

1. Started on a tiny continent with Mongols. Thought "this'll be interesting"
2. T50 Mongols start wiping out the 2 city states between us. They finish in about 20 turns.
3. T90 Mongols DOW me. (not a surprise) I war them for a while. Reconquer both CS. Conquer another native city, get another in tribute for a total of 4/6 of their cities then make peace.
4. T95: Mongols call up friendly as can be and ask that we be friends. It must be the "deceptive" status I think, but no, they still offer full-price on everything and all modifiers show. They apparently "don't hold it against me".
5. Mongols remain good friends for thousands of years.

seriously? What does it take to get on this guy's bad side? :D

We would've been friends forever, but T210 he tries to take the liberated CS again that I have pledged protection too so I crushed his capital and kicked him off-continent. Due to the poor way they are coded he's unable to realize this was the result of his decision to invade a CS though. A red neg appears for the first time: "he misses his capital". Almost feel sorry for him, he was an interesting AI.

Top Bottom