Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

I like all of the concepts and new things they are doing. I kind of expected this sooner or later but was not sure when. They just confirmed what they do, release final expansion of previous game then the next year do another one.

I like the cartoonish graphics I think they are cool. Too me I cannot tell if they are doing hexagons again or something else, most likely they are being the tiles are rounded. Excited!!!

There seems to be two kinds of coastline- one is a cliff and the other is a plain. Harbours presumably won't be buildable on the cliffs.
Spoiler :

been playing Civ since number one and every release has been better than the last, loved Civ V its brilliant in every way but the new GFX in CIV VI are simply spectacular, its beautiful to look at and a major upgrade to the series. can’t wait to play it.

The only thing I don't like are strange graphics. I liked more the style Civ 5 which was more darker and realistic, but still not too dark. I hope they will tone it down a little bit as we approach release now it looks like Clash of clans.

Aside from that I am super excited. Civ VI is going to build upon Civ V. They say almost all features from Expansions will be in it (Trade Routes, Religion, Archaelogy etc.). So cool that they are not splitting the features. And Ed Beach and Sean are working on the game. More info on new stuff here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/11/civilization-vi-details/

Research is cool now.

Looks interesting. I've been playing Civ since its second inception. I also do not like the cartoon style too much but I'm convinced that with a decent mod support there will be many alternative graphic styles soon.
With regard to city graphics I do hope that the developers will design distinct cultural versions for all buildings, not just houses: an Asian library, a Asian university, a Middle Eastern barracks, a Middle Eastern lighthouse. It did break the immersion that you would have an Asian city style but with a Greek looking library.
Both in Civ4 and 5 eventually there were mods that addressed this issue and provided cultural appropriate graphics (and names) for certain buildings.

Surprised by screenshots. I think if you show Civ4, 5 and 6 screens to someone who haven't played those games he'll say that Civ5 is probably the latest game. I like Civ4 and it's OK they're going back to cartoon style but I don't get why.

And they already talk about leaders in DLC. I hoped Civ5 taught them it's a bad idea.

Not sure how I feel about it being iterative design. I still think Civ4 is the best Civ (even though many Civ5 features make it obsolete and hard to play) and it was sort of iterative entry unlike Civ5. But we already had CivBE, which was iterative upgrade of Civ5 and it didn't go well. Hope they'll make Civ6 based on Civ5 the same way as XCOM2 is based on XCOM1.

Graphics is ok, but it looks like they are working on smartphone/tablet version. But the main question is: what will be removed from vanilla version and then added as DLC?

I found this bit to be discouraging:

The AI begs to be thrown out and be something totally new, not “implemented from scratch to fit”.
"implemented from scratch" is the same as "totally new". From scratch == starting from nothing, i.e. starting again.

Huge fan of the Civ franchise I've played every form of Civ whether it be on my phone, console or PC. I've been wanting number 6 to be released for months and to me I don't think I'm going to be disappointed. People complain of the cartoony graphics yet I bet a bottom dollar there is more detail than civ 5, I think firaxis are trying to appeal to all ages yet still appealing to the Civ community. I think from 3 pictures it's hard to give an opinion on graphics or game play but to me it's detail is beautiful and we'll crafted I'm just worried that balloons in a circus in the ancient era's actually existed? Lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

it seems districts are to replace terrain improvements so there will be less micromanagement and no workers what is actually great
i think there will also be no starvation like in civ rev.

I just made that realization too: does this mean no workers???

I mean, I can't say it's bad, as I'm really excited about the possibilities of the new city development system, but talk about a colossal change!

(It would also remove one of the AI's weaker traits of managing workers efficiently)

There seems to be two kinds of coastline- one is a cliff and the other is a plain. Harbours presumably won't be buildable on the cliffs.
Spoiler :

Judging from the screenshots, the cliffs is just the graphic for coastal hill tiles. Would be cool though if it had any gameplay effects.

I´m very disappointed from what I have seen. :( They present the game in the - in my eyes - old ugly style and the graphics are done for little children. Mods can improve the graphics, but not that "brush-like" presentation of the game on the map.

Not that hyped. The cartoon graphics are a huge turn down , and 2 Upt is still not a great solution ( a supply system like paradox games would probably be far better) I' m getting it, buy I hope is not like civ V at release (although considering that BE was really bland and starships sucks, I have no faith in firaxis)
Meh, can't say I'm a huge fan of the graphics.....far, far too bright & cartoon-ish. Civ4 & Civ5 had fantastic graphics.....I really see no reason to go backwards in this regard.

Exactly
I'm just outraged by the graphics. :mad:
This is not civrev.. What kind of strategic depth we can hope for, if the graphics are this childish???
I guess Civ IV will remain the superior iteration by far in the series.
Which is kinda sad with all the cool possibilities that came up in Civ V, and which they are promoting Civ VI with...

I just made that realization too: does this mean no workers???

I mean, I can't say it's bad, as I'm really excited about the possibilities of the new city development system, but talk about a colossal change!

(It would also remove one of the AI's weaker traits of managing workers efficiently)

no-workerness was already tested in civ rev
it played well though without improvements the map felt quite static
districts mechanic may be something between the two approaches
it will also put the city development more in line with other things like policies and religions where you cant switch stuff around and so the player will have to plan ahead more

Not convinced by Combined Arms.

1upt was implemented to give tactical depth to combat. Front lines, Flanking, Cover, etc... It was in itself an interesting idea, but due to the scale of the game, it raised many new issues: moving a large army became tedious, to name one. But overall combats DID gain in tactical depth (until you got yourself a carpet of doom, that is).

Now allowing for support units to be protected on the same tile by other units kills every tactical gain that was made with 1upt, without even beginning to solve the new issues raised by its implement. It looks like a lose-lose situation: lose the advantage of stacks, lose the advantages of 1upt.

I'd much rather have stacks with HUGE cumulative penalties (in movement, attack and such) to deter players from stacking too many units, except when moving armies in safe territory (thus giving scouts a new - and realistic - importance: you'd have to make sure there are no enemies around before stacking all of your army to pass an isthmus or a notch).

That is what they did in Realism Invictus (awesome mod for civ4) and it works pretty well (even though the Civ4 AI is not trained to use this kind of combat system). They simply call it 'overcrowding'.

I do not like the Artstyle. looks like something out of a pre-alpha build. or something akin to Torchlight 2.

the combined arms feature is what they should have done for civilization 5.

no-workerness was already tested in civ rev
it played well though without improvements the map felt quite static
districts mechanic may be something between the two approaches
it will also put the city development more in line with other things like policies and religions where you cant switch stuff around and so the player will have to plan ahead more
From the core line, I mean. CivRev is very much in the offshoot lineage.

Hmmmmmmm........:):):):)

Can't wait for more details! :D

Top Bottom