Summer 2017 Patch Notes Discussion

I don't think Nubia gets a desert start bias. I restarted four times already trying to find desert near my capital. Glad to have the restart button!

Same here. I actually saw one desert tile (which turned out to be half of the desert, by the way) when I started. I did see like eight pasture resources though, so I was already crying I wasn't playing Australia.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was exaggerating. There were only 7 visible at the end of turn one.

So made building new cities a lot more expensive (via the Settler change) but developing cities should be a little easier with the district reductions.

Trade Route chooser automatically selects previously completed trade route
Huzzah!!!!!

"Increased the discount for districts you have less of from 25% to 40%"

I guess I had better get back to working out exactly when the discount happens

" increased per settler cost bump by 50"
Bye bye peaceful builds, just encoutrages more war

Greece: Award an envoy whenever they complete an Acropolis.
Wowser, that makes a very powerful greece

Catherine’s Flying Squadron: now awards a free Spy when the extra capacity is earned at Castles. All spies start as Agents with a free promotion.
This is not to be underestimated, France is going to be a pain to play against
Especially as spies are reduced by 25%

This is a HUGE change.. massive benefits all over, wellk doine Firaxis! well worth the wait

Last edited:
Added the saving of game setup configurations to reuse when starting future games
Hmm.. How do you save a game setup? I can't seem to find it

Edit:
Nevermind, apparently it's not implemented for multiplayer, yet :(

Edit2:
Restart is also not available in multiplayer (although I can see how that could be abused in online games and such)

Last edited:
"Increased the discount for districts you have less of from 25% to 40%"
I guess I had better get back to working out exactly when the discount happens

I'm not sure - as someone who often plays more peacefully (or take the nearest neighbor who is encroaching on my space and then play peacefully), my first thought is it will just cause me to do more mid game expansion (when my production is higher compared to the Settler cost) instead of early expansion. We'll see how it plays out though, and if the AI leaves spots to expand to. And also if they've improved the AIs city defensive abilities to make conquering them more expensive.

I'm seeing a lot of items that were on people's wishlists around here!

I had just started my first Spain game yesterday, but I didn't like how it was going. My biggest issue was how on the higher difficulty setting the AI just pulled out way ahead in the beginning and Spain doesn't get anything to compete for a long time, but these boosts should help once Spain's main uniques kick into gear. I think a boost to constructing holy sites would have had the greatest effect.

Interesting: There seem to be some disparities between the game and the civilopedia, as well as some more unmentioned changes:

The camp I built gave +2 gold instead of +1 gold (Civilopedia says +1, as does the tooltip). This might also be a Nubia bug, however.
Additionally, and unless I am very mistaken this was added in this patch, the mercantilism civic gives +1 food and +1 production (according to mercantilism tooltip and civilopedia entry) or maybe +1 food +2 production (according to camp tooltip and civilopedia entry).

The only change I'm unhappy about. It's already so hard to compete with the AI when expanding peacefully. At least for me.

Can anyone explain that
  • Increased costs of district buildings by 10% (except Aerodrome buildings), and increased per settler cost bump by 50%
? I don't quite get it.

You're ahead of me. Mine just says "Update queued". Download hasn't begun yet.

You can force-start the download. Right-click on the game name and select manage downloads or something like that, then just click the download icon.

Can anyone explain that
  • Increased costs of district buildings by 10% (except Aerodrome buildings), and increased per settler cost bump by 50%
? I don't quite get it.

All buildings in districts are 10% more expensive, excluding the Hangar and Airport. Settlers before this patch started at (if I remember correctly) 80 production with every next one becoming 20 more expensive, now they instead all get 30 more expensive for every next one.

As for Jebel Barkal: Grants +4 faith as well as +4 faith to every city center within 6 tiles, as well as (and this is why it's unlocked at Iron Working) 2 free iron.

Really happy with the patch. The "love" for Spain and Norway specially is so necessary. The patch fix and add many things people demanded, not so big like a expansion, but for a simple patch Firaxis did it so nice by the moment. I´m with a Nubia game, and for me at least, I had a desert start bias so nice, so I hope build in the future Petra and become my capital in a monster. (Desert start bias means that with Nubia in the map, we can´t now built Petra?) I just played a game with them, so I can´t ensure their start bias.

I noticed changes like another and bigger font in leaders scenes.

• Battering Ram and Siege Tower now upgrade to the Medic support unit, and no longer are functional against a city with Urban Defenses
Bombard class just became a lot more useful/needed

Do you mean the Bombard and Artillery siege units?

Settlers before this patch started at (if I remember correctly) 80 production with every next one becoming 20 more expensive, now they instead all get 30 more expensive for every next one.

Thank you. So settler bump does not affect district buildings now, does it? I was a bit confused because it is mentioned together.

This will be interesting

AI will now better handle air attacks
  • Bombers will attack Districts, Improvements, and then Units in that preference
  • Fighters will prefer to attack other air units
I look forward to seeing this. Not sure I'll have time to play today.....

Top Bottom