August 2023 Update - Patch Notes Discussion (Celebrating 32 Years of Civ!)

Nikolai II

King

Leader Pass NOW on consoles!

Caesar available to all console players linking their account.

"A few more Civilization VI celebrations in store"

Everyone on PC should have received a 582.9 MB download.
Game version has been updated to - 1.0.12.53

August 2023 Game Update

We're excited to announce that a new update is now available for the Steam, Epic, Mac App Store, iOS, PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch versions of Civilization VI. In addition to addressing some reported issues, this update also improves the Leader Abilities of some of the Leaders introduced in Civilization VI: Leader Pass.

Julius Caesar also benefits from an updated Leader Ability. If you haven't already, you can add him to your Civilization VI roster simply by linking your 2K Account to the account of the same platform that you use to play. Here are instructions on how to create and link a 2K Account.

LEADER ABILITIES

Julius Caesar - Veni, vidi, vici

New: +300 Gold whenever you conquer a city for the first time or when you earn Gold from a Barbarian Outpost. The Gold becomes 500 after researching Metal Casting and 700 after Steel (on Standard Speed). When targeting Barbarians, receive +5 Combat Strength and always earn normal XP.
Old: Receive 200 Gold whenever you conquer a city for the first time or 100 Gold when you clear a Barbarian Outpost. These Gold amounts increase to 500 after you research Steel.

Wu Zetian - Manual of Entrapment

New: All Spies operate at 1 level higher. Whenever an offensive spy mission is successful, you also gain 100% of the Culture, Science, and Faith that the targeted city made that turn. Receive a free spy at Defensive Tactics and +1 Spy Capacity. You can purchase Spies with Faith.
Old: All offensive Spies operate at 1 level higher. Whenever an offensive spy mission is successful, you also gain 50% of the Culture and Science that the targeted city earned that turn. Receive a free Spy (and extra Spy Capacity) after discovering Defensive Tactics.

Harald Hadrada (Varangian) - Varangian Guard

New: (Base game) 75% discount on levying units, and all units pay 2 less Gold maintenance. +1 Influence Point per turn from the Stave Church.
Old: (Base game) 75% discount on levying units, and all units pay 2 less Gold maintenance.

New: (Rise and Fall & Gathering Storm DLCs) All units pay 2 less Gold maintenance. 75% Discount on levying units, and levied units receive Culture, Faith, and Science from kills equal to 50% of the opponent's Combat Strength. +1 Influence Point per turn from the Stave Church.
Old: (Rise and Fall & Gathering Storm DLCs) 75% Discount on levying units, and levied units receive Culture, Faith, and Science from kills equal to 50% of the opponent's combat strength.

Abraham Lincoln - Emancipation Proclamation

New: Industrial Zones give +2 Amenities and +3 Loyalty per turn, but your Plantations give -2 Loyalty per turn. Receive a free Melee unit after constructing Industrial Zones and their buildings. The free unit does not require resources when created or to maintain and receives +5 Combat Strength.
Old: (Base game) Industrial Zones give +2 Amenities. Receive a free Melee unit after constructing Industrial Zones and their buildings. The free unit does not require resources when created or to maintain and receives +5 Combat Strength.
Old: (Rise and Fall & Gathering Storm DLCs) Industrial Zones give +3 Loyalty per turn but your Plantations give -2 Loyalty. Receive a free Melee unit after constructing Industrial Zones and their buildings. The free unit does not require resources when created or to maintain and receives +5 Combat Strength.

AI UPDATES
  • Changed Kongolese leader Nzinga Mbande's preferred settlement placement; she now dislikes foreign settlement a great deal more.
  • Fixed an issue that was preventing Barbarian attack forces from spawning properly on Immortal difficulty.
ACHIEVEMENTS
  • Added Victory Achievements for Leaders introduced in Civilization VI: Leader Pass.
  • Abraham Lincoln can no longer complete the "A Man A Plan A Canal Panama" Achievement that requires you to build the Panama Canal as Teddy Roosevelt.
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Fixed a reported issue that was preventing pillaged Dams from being repaired.
  • Fixed a reported issue with Ottoman Empire leader Suleiman's (Muhtesem) secondary agenda not working properly.

Moderator Action: Several posts merged into the OP and reformatted to match other patch notes threads ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator:
Started up civ VI launcher and it had an update waiting.

I have Anthology for Switch. Did I hear correctly that I will get this for free? If so, I am not at the moment. I see it in the eShop to buy, but I don't see it in the game. Is there something I need to do?

For the PC version it was so that if you had all the other DLC, you could select the Leader Pass in the shop, and you could add it for free.
No idea if it's also like this on console though, someone else will have to say.

Nope.

I updated my Switch and got JC but the Leader Pass is £17.99(?) in Nintendo eShop.

I have Anthology for Switch. Did I hear correctly that I will get this for free? If so, I am not at the moment. I see it in the eShop to buy, but I don't see it in the game. Is there something I need to do?
On Xbox I needed to go to the Store but instead of buying it was available as an install option.

Out of all of the balance changes, Caesar’s and Wu’s seem the most influential. Caesar’s change especially seems really strong!

Stacking it with other XP modifiers could make his units pretty crazy… wondering if that’ll open up some new Domination prep strategies (sticking around barb camps to farm promotions and then going in).

Edit: I didn’t read Varangian Harald closely enough. -2 Maintenance, and +1 Influence Point per Holy Site potentially (+1 per city, really- with even just 8 cities?). Wow.

Last edited:
So ... what's the state with all the major bugs that came with the LP, like the Corporations bug, the natural disasters visuals bug, and I don't even recall any longer what the others were ... are they still a thing, or have they been fixed previously?

Yongle's achievement is called "Live Yongle Reaction."
Gotta love them referencing memes from their own fandom!

Top Bottom