Nolition's CivIII Chronicle (Now Playing Game 3: Maya, Emperor)

Not too sure about researching Republic and using it. You are on an island and will need to be at war a great deal. Republic is ok for war, IF you have lots of lux. Otherwise it can be a WW nightmare.

Did you raze that Dutch town? It was size 2 and could have been kept.

A little cheese you can use to foil those landings, if you have enough units. Just put units along the landing spots, so they cannot land. Move the units to the next spot they are going to try to land upon. Workers can be use for the blocking as well as troops.
This is costly as you need to build and pay maints on the units.

You will need roads to all corners now to deal with invasions. The good news is the AI is horrible at invading. Even on Sid it is easy to deal with invasion. Though I once had Montie send 21 galleys at me on a Sid game. Where he got that many so soon, I will never know. Still it was a long line and only a few dropped in any one turn.

Settlers were slow as there are few roads. How many workers do you have? I see 6 towns and I think you have at least one not visible. So 10 workers a least, 12 to 14 is better. I try to make a road to my next site to speed that settler along. The biggest issue is the lack of water and bonus food. Once you get the land mass to yourself, consider not making peace, unless they pay something. You can afford to squeeze them some, if WW is under control and you have roads to all towns.

Hope you do not have lots of medium size islands to capture as they are tough. The AI will build lots of units and take a lot of fighting. GL

Type two unit is a settler, so they have 2 at 4000BC, you have 1.
No, at Emp they 'only' get an extra Worker (plus the off/def units): it's at DG+ that the AI-Civs start getting an extra starting Settler as well.

(I'm still struggling to beat DG at my preferred "All-Random Maps+Civs" setting, not least because the AI-Civs expand so damn fast in the early game).
You are on an island and will need to be at war a great deal.
I think he's technically on a Continent. This is a Small map with Random geography, and he's sharing his 'island' with the Celts and the Chinese at least, possibly also the Dutch: it seems rather unlikely that the map generator would put 3-4 out of 6 Civs on a single island of a Small Archi-map.

I suspect he's rolled an 80% water map though, given its stringiness -- and it's likely also Wet but Cool, given the Forest/Jungle and the Tundra reaching so far south (he started near the Equator, but there's Tundra not far north of him...).

Last edited:
Lurker:

tjs282, thanks for the correction. All these years and I never notice that note was incorrect. I have edited it to say worker is type 2. I should have caught that long ago. Anyway you can look at the editor and see the correct info.

Did you raze that Dutch town? It was size 2 and could have been kept.
I did end up razing it, thinking that keeping it would have led to crowding and already having built the settler.
A little cheese you can use to foil those landings, if you have enough units. Just put units along the landing spots, so they cannot land. Move the units to the next spot they are going to try to land upon. Workers can be use for the blocking as well as troops.
Oh, kind of like I did with the Enkidu wall, but on the coast.[/QUOTE]
Thank you!
How many workers do you have? I see 6 towns and I think you have at least one not visible. So 10 workers a least, 12 to 14 is better. I try to make a road to my next site to speed that settler along. The biggest issue is the lack of water and bonus food.
Not enough. I didn't recognize this until too late, and then built a semi-decent number, which was what caused the almost complete depopulation of my eastern cities.

I think he's technically on a Continent. This is a Small map with Random geography, and he's sharing his 'island' with the Celts and the Chinese at least, possibly also the Dutch: it seems rather unlikely that the map generator would put 3-4 out of 6 Civs on a single island of a Small Archi-map. I suspect he's rolled an 80% water map though, given its stringiness -- and it's likely also Wet but Cool, given the Forest/Jungle and the Tundra reaching so far south (he started near the Equator, but there's Tundra not far north of him...).
I also was thinking that it was a continent map, because I haven't met a number of civs and don't think they could all be hidden away on the far end of this landmass.

Spoiler Part 3 (hidden for quick page load) :

This is a long walk to all of these techs. I am slightly glad that I can't see everything that the AI has researched! I'll get there, though. Just have to try to be as smart about this as I possibly can.

I begin Operation: Cleanse by attacking the Chinese.

This highlights a low point in my strategic planning. There was a wonder cascade that this triggered, which eventually ended in massive waste, seen in a few screenshots:

Macao (and China) is easily eradicated from the coast. I raze the city and rebuild my own with my waiting settler.

There was nothing else that I could put the shields into. This is super, super unfortunate because the waste would to be a massive wasted opportunity.

The settler finally arrives.

Only one more technology to Construction. Now I feel like I am finally getting somewhere!

I wanted to go to war with the Dutch next, so I demand they remove their forces and let them be the aggressors.

I'm already feeling much better about this plan. I was initially hesitant about going to war with the Dutch while still at war with China, but I still managed to get the city and raze it.

A few turns later, Mao is willing to give me Mysticism for peace.

My final settler moves into position and founds Der.

And William is willing to concede Polytheism for peace. So far, so good! Two technologies and two hostile cities removed and replaced. Time for the final phase:

He was my biggest supporter at the time, since he was only annoyed with me.

I decided to break with tradition and keep Augustodurum, since the positioning was good and I didn't have a settler sitting around to use. I decide to ignore the barbarians for now, and move my troops to the east. I want to see if I can get more out of this war than just one city.

Just as I am about to take the city, Brennus builds his first Pikeman. I manage to kill it, but the back and forth nature of this warfare is depleting my forces. Even in victory, they are unable to heal while parked outside the city and I do not have an overwhelming number of reinforcements to bring to bear.

Definitely time to get this one out of the way. I just want to advance out of this age, finally. Unfortunately, the Celts swept in with a bunch of medieval infantry (ouch!) and gutted my swordsmen.

Taking extremely heavy casualties and with no hope of taking the city, I take the best deal that I can get. Two techs, bringing my total for these conflicts up to 3 cities and 4 technologies. Not too bad, considering that I'm warring against AIs who have a definite technological advantage and are beginning to demonstrate clear military superiority.

Horseback Riding is the last mandatory technology in the Ancient Age for me. I need to get moving badly. The good news is that my heroic Curragh explorer managed to make contact with the Koreans. Unfortunately, I cannot trade any technologies with them, but at least they don't completely hate me. They're only annoyed.

I am thinking that the best thing to do is transition into a Republic and then go about rebuilding my military, and then attempt to fight this war more effectively. I currently believe that most buildings are not going to really help me, and what I really need is swordsmen. Lots and lots of swordsmen, backed up by cheap Enkidu Warriors to blunt his Medieval Infantry counterattack. Maybe some Archers, too. Lots of units. I sense that their tech lead is only getting larger, and that it is in my best interest to attack before they amass a huge amount of knights and come murder me.

Last edited:
It is always a good idea to have a decent handle on the production of the main foe(s). Then you can make an estimate of the completion of any wonder they have going. Compare your completion date and see, if you are in the running.

Remember they pay 80%, you pay 100%. If the wonder is 200 shields, they get it for 160, you for 200. If you expect they are making 10 shields per turn, they need 16 turns. If you make 10 spt, you can only beat them by increasing your spt over any increase they may accomplish.

Should I elect to go for a wonder, I will look to get some workers to that town and get mines down, water, if need to support full city size. I want that town at size 12 asap and all tiles worked mined or as many as can be and still feed the place.

If it is a critical wonder, like Sun Tzu in a AW game, I may add workers to get to size 12 quickly.

As to the razing of Middelburg, you put down one town in the area. One thing I like to do with tundra is to pack towns there. CxC. Immediately set the citizen to sciencetist and not let it grow. Now I do not have to spend anything to built it up and it gives me 3 beakers, regardless of corruption. I only need to road tiles there, not improve them.

Towns time help with free troop support (yeah I am a war monger, so I need the support). You place the towns close to good towns as they will not work any good tiles anyway, so the good town works them.

In this game you had to go to war, but always be thinking about the rival. In the case of the China, they have Rider for a UU. Very nasty early in the game. The Dutch have a def 4 UU, very hard to kill till 4 or better att units. Even then no fun in towns.

Looks like you make stellar progress, GG.

That iron in Richborough, is that the only Celtic iron? If so, it should be "liberated" quickly.

Lurker:

I left out using pre builds. I figured that is not going to be much of a factor in your case as you needed your better towns to make units. The idea is to use a structure, often the palace, and start building it to hold shields, till you get the tech for the wonder you actually want. You likely would want to have a temple in this town to help with keeping all the pop you can to work tiles. Remember no tainted shields can be in the box or you will not be able to switch to a wonder later. Tainted shields come from chops or disbanding.

As to the razing of Middelburg, you put down one town in the area. One thing I like to do with tundra is to pack towns there. CxC.
While I'd agree that generally, Tundra-trash towns usually aren't good for much else except ICS'd beaker-farming, that end of the landmass is still effectively Sumerian core territory. So all that razing was kind of my 'idea', because he was making room for the towns that I'd dotmapped (which were/are all mostly 2nd and 3rd-ringers, so will eventually be useful, one way or another)... ;)

For example, Der is still close enough to Ur that it could be a useful core-town -- far more useful than Middelburg was, stuck 1 tile away from the coast (Willy's Seafaring, what the hell was he thinking?!?) -- especially if Zabalam builds Gilgamition's Forbidden Palace (@Nolition: you should have had the pop-up by now, with 13 towns on a small map?).

Once Der's borders are popped, it should be able to get pretty close to Pop12, and its fishermen can rake in commerce-beakers from the coast tiles. Admittedly, to do that it will need (a Courthouse,) a Harbour, a Lib and a Duct (in that order), but that's do-able. Those 2 existing Forests will chop to Der, rather than Kisurra or Augustodorum, and then once Engineering comes in (cross your fingers: maybe you'll get it for free!), there's all that bare Tundra still to be lumberjacked as well. Sure, even at Pop12, it won't be shield-rich, but shields aren't everything: it can always build Galleys/Caravels.

That said, I would also point out that it wasn't actually necessary to DoW the Chinese and raze Macao just yet: you could still have planted my mapped towns just outside its borders, and with (your cheap) Libs in those towns (the Chinese get no cheap Culture), plus the FP in Zab, Macao's citizens would have ended up being forced out to sea. The town might even have flipped to you, given how far it is from Mao's main territory...
Horseback Riding is the last mandatory technology in the Ancient Age for me. I need to get moving badly.
You'll need Lit too, for Libraries.

Still, nice work with the pointy-stick research...
I am thinking that the best thing to do is transition into a Republic and then go about rebuilding my military, and then attempt to fight this war more effectively. I currently believe that most buildings are not going to really help me, and what I really need is swordsmen. Lots and lots of swordsmen, backed up by cheap Enkidu Warriors to blunt his Medieval Infantry counterattack. Maybe some Archers, too. Lots of units. I sense that their tech lead is only getting larger, and that it is in my best interest to attack before they amass a huge amount of knights and come murder me.
Yes, absolutely!

If you're currently at peace with everyone, you should revolt to Republic immediately. Really, you should have done that a long time ago already, as soon as was practical after you got it -- part of the reason your own research has been so slow is that you've been running a Despot-penalised, highly corrupt empire for much longer than you needed to.

Don't worry about the turns lost on your current research-project, and don't worry about the unit support-costs (for now). Your Republican commerce-boost should more than make up for both those problems (and don't forget that you can still use Scientists during Anarchy, in your food-rich towns).

If it is a critical wonder, like Sun Tzu in a AW game, I may add workers to get to size 12 quickly.
I haven't been using this feature, but now I am considering it. Is it wise to use it to re-distribute my population between cities?
As to the razing of Middelburg, you put down one town in the area. One thing I like to do with tundra is to pack towns there. CxC. Immediately set the citizen to sciencetist and not let it grow. Now I do not have to spend anything to built it up and it gives me 3 beakers, regardless of corruption. I only need to road tiles there, not improve them. Towns time help with free troop support (yeah I am a war monger, so I need the support). You place the towns close to good towns as they will not work any good tiles anyway, so the good town works them.
I hadn't thought about packing a few size-1 towns for unit maintenance. This is the main reason why I have avoided going to Republic - very few of my cities are above size 6, so my total unit allowance would be tiny. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and disband a bunch of Enkidu warriors.
Looks like you make stellar progress, GG.
My position has imprved with that turnset, but it still seems like I've got a long way to go.

That iron in Richborough, is that the only Celtic iron? If so, it should be "liberated" quickly.
Is there any way to use the advisors to tell how much of a resource the AI have? I can't seem to find that information out - I can only see their quantities of resources that I do not have.

So all that razing was kind of my 'idea', because he was making room for the towns that I'd dotmapped (which were/are all mostly 2nd and 3rd-ringers, so will eventually be useful, one way or another)... ;)
Yes, this is accurate. And I had the settlers sitting there, so decided to stick to the original plan.
Zabalam builds Gilgamition's Forbidden Palace (@Nolition: you should have had the pop-up by now, with 13 towns on a small map?).
Yes, I remember it coming up. I didn't start building it because I was thinking that (long-term) it would be more useful to build in the east where I hope to conquer territory. Those cities will be quite corrupt and I wanted to de-corruptivize them.
Once Engineering comes in (cross your fingers: maybe you'll get it for free!), there's all that bare Tundra still to be lumberjacked as well. Sure, even at Pop12, it won't be shield-rich, but shields aren't everything: it can always build Galleys/Caravels.
Is it a general rule to plant forests in tundra? Should I do this en-masse once Engineering is done?

This set of turns was played in many very small pieces over the last two days. It's a bit disjointed.

Spoiler Part 4 (hidden for quick page load) :

A new era. I got Monotheism as my free technology.

Feudalism's next. I am going to need some bigger sticks.

Now I truly have met everyone.

Taking advantage of his temporary annoyance, I work out an unbalanced trade before he becomes truly enraged with me. I am continuing to build up my military and prepare for war.

I really do not need to deal with the annoyance of the dutch. Since they are far away and I have multiple sources of iron, I decide to give in. Let him fight whatever war he wishes with it.

I attempt to make use of Chinese territory to get to the iron quicker, but it fails because Mao forces me out.

I can't remember why I took this screenshot. Maybe it was a comment about how this map does seem to be a Pangaea? Something weird was going on with my game.

Since everyone already seems to hate me, I return to the cheesy tactics of last game to get that extra step on the Celts.

Success! Richborough is now mine, and its silks alleviate some of the unhappiness that's crept into my cities.

Verulamium is next to fall. This seems like some pretty awful city placement, but I don't have a settler ready to shift it and I am willing to bet the AI would beat me to it. I just don't understand why Brennus would settle out of range of the fish!

He has massed knights and is sending them in to slaughter my swordsmen + medieval infantry. These are a major, major annoyance because I have no horses of my own to build fast units. Constant harassment. I need to restage, reorganize and rearm. So I take this peace deal. Chivalry isn't really useful in my position, but it might come in handy later so I am not complaining. Unfortunately they didn't research Theology yet, which was what I was hoping for.

My original thoughts were to go to war with China next, capture Tatung (which has shrunk in size down to 1... would I be forced to raze it?) and then try to make peace in exchange for a technology after a few turns. I already have enough forces in place to do this within a turn or two. With this accomplished, I would again turn my attention to the Celts and attempt to start really moving into the heart of their territory. But then I realized that it may be smarter just to leave this Chinese city and move directly against the Celts to avoid the headache of another war with Mao. I'd probably still have to wait the same amount of time, however, in order to re-arm my forces and get a few Pikemen out to help cut down on the hit and run losses. I'm also still not a republic, so on reflection I will change that immediately upon loading the game up.

Last edited:
Going to break this post up for easier consumption.

"Is it wise to use it to re-distribute my population between cities?" As a rule I wold say no. The reason is it takes pop from a solid (hopefully) town and sends it off to a less solid place. The lost of production during the travel time and the normal lower resulting production in the new town.

IOW in most cases the town sending a citizen has better infrastructure than the receiving one. Not to mention it is tedious on a scale large enough to matter and towns tend to be more corrupt the fasrther asway they are. Not that I am very concerned about corruption.

"Maybe I should just bite the bullet and disband a bunch of Enkidu warriors."
Can't speak to that as I have not loaded the game to see what is going on and do not even have a clear picture of the known world. Known to you.

In the main cheap obsolete units are useful as militia to provide content faces in most governments. They can be upgraded in a pinch, if you get desperate. I prefer to just increase my unit support with more and larger towns or if I must gold.

"Is there any way to use the advisors to tell how much of a resource the AI have?"
In CA2 you can see their resources under trade options. This is the same as going around trying to do a trade wit all the civs you know. IOW no info that is not directly available in game.

Where it says zero, that really means they are using it/them directly or indirectly (trades) and none are available to trade you. At least that is what I remember. Playing AW, I cannot make a trades, so I no longer use this info.

"Yes, this is accurate. And I had the settlers sitting there, so decided to stick to the original plan."
That is fine, just remember that the settler could be use in another spot, if you can keep the town. IOW raze and replace, you now need to build another settler for the next spot, so you delay that next site.

I merely wanted to present the concept of packing tundra towns and that spot was at the end of the land mass.

"Yes, this is accurate. And I had the settlers sitting there, so decided to stick to the original plan."
In C3C it is often better to just slam the FP down quickly and not worry about future corruption. The payoff for the FP is not that great and it is usually better to just get the boost now, rather than wait for a long time for some land that will not be all that much better with the FP.

It is not likle PTW or vanilla, where the FP made a huge impact. Main thing it does is to increase the number of towns you can have, before corruption grows.

"Is it a general rule to plant forests in tundra? Should I do this en-masse once Engineering is done?"
No. That is labor intense and workers should have better things to do. If they don't then as you please. There can be many cases to plant trees for a chop, but there are mainly earlier in the game, rather than later. I want workers to work the core and make roads to or in the new lands, so I can keep pushing forward.

Never fond of trading two luxs for one. I will do it for a backward civ as they cannot hurt me. I may do it in a desperate situation. I can think of two right off:
1- hurting for happy face and WW
2- potential to keep this civ from DOW

In AW none of them is possible, no trades allowed.

Really hate to give away a resource that allows units to be built.

In std SG rules, no dropping troops prior to DOW.

One reason the AI settles like that is they know that something like Oil is near and they want that. Otherwise, just a std dump AI move.

If a town has popped border the size does not matter, it will not autoraze.

Those cities will be quite corrupt and I wanted to de-corruptivize them.
Like @vxma says, that doesn't really work: the C3C-FP has only a minor effect on the cities adjacent to it, but it does increase the maximum town-rank before rank-corruption increases sharply, so your total number of 'less-corrupt' towns increases. So in Conquests, it's better to plant it sooner rather than later. (Ironically, if you'd starting the MoM-build in a neighbouring town rather than Ur, you could probably have converted it to your FP rather than wasting all the shields.)
Is it wise to use it to re-distribute my population between cities?
As always, 'it depends'!

If all towns are kept at roughly the same population level at all times, then your (LUX%-)slider settings/outputs may become more efficient. And one of the ways you can ensure this, is to join (spare!) Workers from the larger/faster-growing towns, to the smaller/slower-growing towns. And if you are really hurting for unit-support (under Republic), joining one Worker to a town saves you 2 GPT, and increases the town's commerce-output by 2 (provided the new citizen can work a roaded tile, or a water-tile), so can thus pay (one way or another) to keep a second Worker in the field. But no Worker should ever be joined to any town where the new citizen will be working an unimproved tile (or even worse, turned into a Specialist in a core town!).

Alternatively, if you have a town which has the potential for fast growth at 4-5 FPT, but not quite enough SPT to act as a classic 'Settler-pump' (builds a Granary, and harvests 5 FPT + 7-8 FPT, allowing it to produce a Settler every 4 turns from Pop4-6, or Pop5-7), you can use it as a Worker-pump instead: 5 FPT + 5 SPT can produce a Worker every 2 turns, with a Granary; or a Warrior+Worker every 4 turns, without a Granary. Having set up such a pump, it is then more efficient to spin Workers off that town and join them to (wet or already 'Ducted) Pop7+ers, than to leave the larger towns to grow naturally. Assuming that a Pop7+ town would otherwise be getting 2FPT net, without a Gran it would need 40 food (i.e. 20 turns) to add 1 pop-point, but by joining a Worker, you get the same effect for only 10-20 food + 10 shields, so Worker-joining gives a cost- as well as a time-advantage. You can also keep the Pop7+er at 0 FPT net (i.e. maximising shield-output), but still have it grow (if each new Worker-joined citizen can work a new 2FPT+1SPT tile).

(The disadvantages of this setup is that first of all you need a suitable town for the Worker-pump, and secondly you need to keep that town stunted at Pop6.)
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and disband a bunch of Enkidu warriors.
If Feudalism is going to arrive soon, I might keep 1 vet Enk per border-/coastal-town, for upgrading to Pikemen (although this will be expensive: 60 gold per head), and I might keep any elites that haven't yet spawned a MGL, either as backup defenders in those border-towns, or as stack-defenders for an invasion force.

But as for the rest, yeah, junk 'em (but do it in a town, so you at least get 2 shields back!). You have Swords and will soon have Maces (or Knights, if you know anyone who has Horses?), and your GA is long passed, so most Enks aren't worth keeping any more.
Is it a general rule to plant forests in tundra? Should I do this en-masse once Engineering is done?
Not en masse, but if you have a (Tundra) core town which needs infrastructure and a Worker or 2 to spare, then having one Worker on Forest+Chop duty would give that town's current build a 10-shield boost every 18 turns (1 turn to arrive, 10 turns to Forest, 4 turns to chop, 3 turns to road) -- or every 15 turns, if you don't bother roading (but you should!). Or 2 Workers can road 2 tiles (1+3 turns each), then Forest+chop each of them (5+2 turns per tile). Whether it's worth diverting Worker-effort to doing that really depends on how valuable the town is going to be to you. If your choices are basically 'chop+mine+road jungle' or 'forest+chop+road tundra', then (IIRC) Tundra-development may actually be quicker, but will give less payoff in the long term.

But if I were in your position, my current terrain-improvement priorities would be focussed partly on the northern grassland and forest, and partly towards the south, where there is the freshwater you need in your core: if you're committed to taking Tatung, then I would advise the following sequence:

Spoiler Detailed instructions :

1. Any Workers doing long jobs south/east of Ur (mining Hills, chopping Jungle, etc.) should be checked on their progress, interrupted if they're still, say, >10 turns from finishing, and moved towards/through Umma
  2. The Forest(?) SW of Umma should be chopped (4 turns for one Worker) into the current Barracks-build(?) and roaded, and the road continued towards Tatung.
  3. Once you have a road from your core onto the Hill NE of Tatung, move your troops into position to take the town, set it to build a Settler at minimal net FPT (<2 FPT, preferably 0 FPT), and make peace with Mao as soon as you can
  4. Ideally 3 Workers (preferably guarded by 1-2 eEnks) should then (stack-)road all the way from Tatung towards that coastal Hill SW of Verulanium (which you should leave intact for now, but don't put up any buildings there).
  5. While the road-Workers are on their way, you should be building a Settler and a 4th Worker* to follow the road-builders, and plant another town on that southern Hill (ideally just as the Worker-stack finishes their last Desert-road)
  6. Once that Hill-town is in place, the 4 Workers should road + irrigate the Plains just beyond it (3 Workers can stack-road while 1 Worker begins watering; then 2 Workers can finish the irrigation on the second turn), then all 4 Workers can stack-irrigate (1 turn per roaded tile) back through the Hill-town, towards Tatung
  7. On the turn that the 4 Workers arrive back in Tatung, cash-rush the Settler to complete it on the interturn (note that this will only work if you can get net FPT = 0 or negative; so if you are a Republic by then, you will need to get Tatung to Pop2, to be able to cancel out the 3 FPT from the town-tile using a 1 FPT Jungle/Hill/Mountain tile).
  8. On the next turn, 3 Workers should stack-road the ruins (1 turn), allowing the new Settler(Chinese) to move to the Hill, and found New Tatung immediately. The 4th Worker should begin irrigating in place (4 turns); on the next turn, stack-complete the irrigation, and move 1, 2, or 4 spare Worker(s) to the Grassland between New Tatung and Umma
  9. Irrigate back into and through your core, prioritising Bonus Grassland tiles for preference (so you get more food but still get a shield).
Those are your main Worker-priorities right now, never mind chopping the remaining Jungle. You can do that later, after all your core-towns have got to Pop12 and can pop out Workers in 1 turn if needed.

*(And if you haven't already built Ducts in Sumer and Kish, then DON'T: I would strongly recommend rather using them to produce the Settlers and Workers you need for the above projects, then Worker-shrinking/Settler-disbanding them, and re-founding them N/E on the coast, where they should have been founded to start with).
Where it says zero, that really means they are using it/them directly or indirectly (trades) and none are available to trade you. At least that is what I remember.
Yup. But if you hit CTRL+SHIFT+N, you can adjust the "clean map" options to hide units, cities and terrain improvements (and hills and mountains if you like), but keep borders+roads -- which means you'll be able to see exactly where all the (visible) resources are, and thus who's currently claiming them.
Really hate to give away a resource that allows units to be built.
I agree. And giving Iron to the Dutch is especially sub-optimal, since it allows them to build their Swiss Mercs -- which is not only their UU, but also the most shield-efficient defender in the game (so will likely give them a GA the first time someone runs up against one).

If the Dutch don't already have Gunpowder/Saltpeter, then they're stuck with Spears. And if they have Salt but no Iron, it's actually far better to 'force' them to build Muskets: same D-value as SMercs, but twice the price (so they can only build half as many). Also, Muskets actually 'upgrade' to SMercs, which means that the Dutch can continue to build SMercs even after their GA is over...

I mean, I understand you didn't want another war, but the minimap suggests that the Dutch are quite a long way from you, so you could have enjoyed free War Happiness for all the turns it would have taken for their troops to reach you by land (and even Seafaring AI-Civs still suck at naval invasions!)...

Last edited:
Lurker:

Found the article on opening moves:

https://web.archive.org/web/2004122...cs.com/doc/civ3/cracker/civ3_starts/index.htm

It is actually called improving your opening play skills.
Thanks for (re)posting this link. It's always worth a good (re)read, no matter what the context.

Should point out though (@Nolition) that this massively useful article was originally prepared for PtW, and while a lot of the general principles regarding terrain assessment and Worker-job prioritisation is still good, some of the actual details are now outdated (because from PtW to Conquests, Industrious-Worker speed was nerfed from 100% faster to 50% faster, and the base Worker-turn numbers for the Forestry jobs were also changed).

And a small part of it ("Forestry operations priority 1", where @cracker describes how the chop-shields are directed) is flat out wrong: chop-shields are not assigned according to which town is using the Forest-tile at the time, but rather according to where a town lies relative to the Forest-tile being chopped. Here's a very rough pic, based on one of your earlier screenies:

Forest ops.jpg

Imagine a 'BFC' centred on the Forest tile (I added crude gridlines, to make it easier to see). Move 1NE from the Forest-tile, and then circle clockwise round the 8 tiles of the 'inner BFC', to the tile 1N of the Forest. Then move outwards 1NE again, to the most northerly of the 3 tiles to the NE of the Forest, and circle clockwise round those 12 tiles of the 'outer BFC'. The first town encountered on that widening spiral (in this case, Middelburg) would get the chop-shields from that Forest tile.

Lurker:
While I was sitting in the Doctor's office I remembereed the term for the number of towns. OCN or optimal city number or something like that. The default ocn is a function of map size. The FP increase that number.

While I was sitting in the Doctor's office...

vmxa, I have never forgotten what you posted about your health at CFC some years ago and I wish you all the best.

Lurker:

Thanks Civinator, looking forward to the next release of CCM2. The good news is the doc is very pretty, the bad is she took a lot of my lower lip.

In C3C it is often better to just slam the FP down quickly and not worry about future corruption. The payoff for the FP is not that great and it is usually better to just get the boost now, rather than wait for a long time for some land that will not be all that much better with the FP.
Got it. Sticking it quite close to the capital, then, where I can get decent production.
In std SG rules, no dropping troops prior to DOW.
One reason the AI settles like that is they know that something like Oil is near and they want that. Otherwise, just a std dump AI move.
This is another reason not to do so. All the more reason to cut this bad habit out. And good call on the AI, I'm thinking that this is the reason.

But as for the rest, yeah, junk 'em (but do it in a town, so you at least get 2 shields back!). You have Swords and will soon have Maces (or Knights, if you know anyone who has Horses?), and your GA is long passed, so most Enks aren't worth keeping any more.
I disbanded a bunch, for economic reasons. That's just life, I guess. Disbanding doesn't make me happy, but it's the right decision.
Not en masse, but if you have a (Tundra) core town which needs infrastructure and a Worker or 2 to spare, then having one Worker on Forest+Chop duty would give that town's current build a 10-shield boost every 18 turns (1 turn to arrive, 10 turns to Forest, 4 turns to chop, 3 turns to road) -- or every 15 turns, if you don't bother roading (but you should!). Or 2 Workers can road 2 tiles (1+3 turns each), then Forest+chop each of them (5+2 turns per tile). Whether it's worth diverting Worker-effort to doing that really depends on how valuable the town is going to be to you. If your choices are basically 'chop+mine+road jungle' or 'forest+chop+road tundra', then (IIRC) Tundra-development may actually be quicker, but will give less payoff in the long term.
I was actually under the impression that chopping planted forests didn't give shields. Although I have no idea where I got that idea.
Spoiler Detailed instructions :

1. Any Workers doing long jobs south/east of Ur (mining Hills, chopping Jungle, etc.) should be checked on their progress, interrupted if they're still, say, >10 turns from finishing, and moved towards/through Umma
  2. The Forest(?) SW of Umma should be chopped (4 turns for one Worker) into the current Barracks-build(?) and roaded, and the road continued towards Tatung.
  3. Once you have a road from your core onto the Hill NE of Tatung, move your troops into position to take the town, set it to build a Settler at minimal net FPT (<2 FPT, preferably 0 FPT), and make peace with Mao as soon as you can
  4. Ideally 3 Workers (preferably guarded by 1-2 eEnks) should then (stack-)road all the way from Tatung towards that coastal Hill SW of Verulanium (which you should leave intact for now, but don't put up any buildings there).
  5. While the road-Workers are on their way, you should be building a Settler and a 4th Worker* to follow the road-builders, and plant another town on that southern Hill (ideally just as the Worker-stack finishes their last Desert-road)
  6. Once that Hill-town is in place, the 4 Workers should road + irrigate the Plains just beyond it (3 Workers can stack-road while 1 Worker begins watering; then 2 Workers can finish the irrigation on the second turn), then all 4 Workers can stack-irrigate (1 turn per roaded tile) back through the Hill-town, towards Tatung
  7. On the turn that the 4 Workers arrive back in Tatung, cash-rush the Settler to complete it on the interturn (note that this will only work if you can get net FPT = 0 or negative; so if you are a Republic by then, you will need to get Tatung to Pop2, to be able to cancel out the 3 FPT from the town-tile using a 1 FPT Jungle/Hill/Mountain tile).
  8. On the next turn, 3 Workers should stack-road the ruins (1 turn), allowing the new Settler(Chinese) to move to the Hill, and found New Tatung immediately. The 4th Worker should begin irrigating in place (4 turns); on the next turn, stack-complete the irrigation, and move 1, 2, or 4 spare Worker(s) to the Grassland between New Tatung and Umma
  9. Irrigate back into and through your core, prioritising Bonus Grassland tiles for preference (so you get more food but still get a shield).
Those are your main Worker-priorities right now, never mind chopping the remaining Jungle. You can do that later, after all your core-towns have got to Pop12 and can pop out Workers in 1 turn if needed.
Quoted so that this is lower and easier to see. I tried to follow it, but had a question: is irrigation generally superior to mining for all Agricultural purposes? Running specialists for production once cities become very large?
*(And if you haven't already built Ducts in Sumer and Kish, then DON'T: I would strongly recommend rather using them to produce the Settlers and Workers you need for the above projects, then Worker-shrinking/Settler-disbanding them, and re-founding them N/E on the coast, where they should have been founded to start with).
I did not read this very clearly before playing this set of turns. I didn't build any aqueducts, there - but upon reading this sentence now I have to ask: you can "raze" your own cities to move them by building a settler? If this is the case - I was completely unaware.
Imagine a 'BFC' centred on the Forest tile (I added crude gridlines, to make it easier to see).
Is there any way to get the game to produce gridlines like that? They make it much easier for me to see the layout.

vmxa, I have never forgotten what you posted about your health at CFC some years ago and I wish you all the best.
I hope that things are okay, as well.

Writeup:

Spoiler Part 5 (hidden for quick page load) :

I am long past the point where this should have been done. No more Despotism.

Sumeria is now a Republic. I go about completing the worker-missions and generally building troops to attack China.

The Hittites are attacking the Chinese. I also notice that size-1 Tatung is now Mao's capital. Looks like his days are numbered.

Well. This is a big annoyance.

I declare war on china and then attack the injured Longbowman on the hill.

A turn of good fortunate! A MGL, which I turn into an army and fill with Medieval Infantry.

Tatung puts up some mild resistance, and then falls.

The Chinese are destroyed! I had hoped to sue for peace and get a technology or two out of them, but at least I'm not the first to be eliminated. The Hittites now have cavalry. That's a scary thought.

Invention. Slowly chugging through the techs.

Wang Kon wants iron. Taking your previous advice into consideration, I allow him to declare war on me. I'm hoping that he is ineffectual at landing a force.

The current state: I have my army and some support troops ready to march into the Celtic territories. A settler with some protection is close to settling on the hill, and workers are standing by to begin irrigation. The dilemma of Verulamiam: diverting troops to go re-take it might limit the effectiveness of my drive into the Celtic heartlands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom