The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Belgium not that strange. Croatia more surprising

Less. Belgium isn't a crappy team like Greece was, and they were among the favourite from the get-go, and Croatia has a hard time but they hardly come from nowhere.

Wait, Thierry Henry is an asst coach for Belgium? Is that a felony in France?

We had the chances but did not take them.
Congratulations to the Blue team.

We've never been higher than fourth place so we might still write history. Just not as much as we had hoped.

Last edited:
The amount of car horns tonight is through the roof, will be a difficult night :p

Quick, one-match update. Small, but momentous changes.

There's now a group of three leaders, tied at eleven points: caketastydelish, Ozbenno and Uberfrog. They all picked England for tomorrow, by the way.

At ten points, with three matches to go, are AdrienIer, BirraImperial, ThERat and Turquoiside. It's still open.

Close, but with less chances as the tourney is wrapping up, is the nine-pointers group of red_elk, shadowplay and Sofista.

Next at eight points, Ferocitus, Rik Meleet and Snerk.

Behind them, at seven, is Takhisis. Raen closes the tally at six points.

It's been a good game, decided by a corner. Lukaku did very, very little, not helped by his team. Martinez's changes at one point went too far: once Carrasco came in, Belgium's attacks became more and more scarce. Not because of Carrasco himself, but because the midfield had become barren.
Damn convincing France though, they withstood pressure coolly and attacked effectively. They could have scored more, but got the job done, and look at the 15th confidently.

There were good chances on both sides, a very close game with real swings in momentum. But France, with some excellent goalkeeping, proved more dominant.

1-0 was a little disappointing, there were some cracking chances on both sides. I’m sorry to see Belgium miss their shot, but this French side is very worthy indeed.

Belgium got robbed of what should have of been a free kick right outside penalty range. Ref totally missed that.

True.
But the good thing is, there were a few bad fouls but overall it was a somewhat clean match. Not the battlefield of England vs Colombia.

My best watching so far was the second half of the Belgium - Japan game.
Good timing since nothing happened in the first half.
Yes, but the dull first half was a good setup for the real pratfall that was the second half.
Definitely not political.
It's comedy gold. The staffer can go, the player who scored, who did the same thing, stays. Si duo faciunt idem, non est idem. :lol:
To quote the Divine One: when it's about a player the situation is ‘un po piu complessa’. ;)
If Belgium or Croatia end up winning the whole thing, would that be more or less strange than Greece winning Euro 2004?
Less, definitely. The peiratikós incident will certainly not be repeated.
Behind them, at seven, is Takhisis.
I'm losing my touch.

I wanted Belgium to win, but I think that France was a bit better overall...It was a great game and as anticipated, it could have gone either way...France are gonna be the World Champions...I don't think England or Croatia can beat this team...

Yes… as I predicted, FIFA's new rule that previous cards are deleted means that ‘stars’ are at liberty to dive and kick and punch and waste time to kill the game as much as they want to. The worst offenders are out but Mbappé should have some dignity.

Went to bed after the 1-0. I wanted Belgium to win as they approached the game a lot more positive. At this point, I don't care who wins and I think, I won't even bother to watch any of the games any longer. Living in Asia doesn't help with kick off times.

Victory celebration, French style:

I didn't think South Korea could beat Germany or Russia could beat Spain. Strange old World Cup :crazyeye:
As I remember, almost all World Cups had games with very unexpected results. Last time the most memorable was Brazil losing 7:1.

Last-second, totally uninformed prediction: England 2:1 Croatia

Also, I'm officially tired of "Seven Nation Army."

Luka Modric. I've heard of him. He can play, yeah?

Yes… as I predicted, FIFA's new rule that previous cards are deleted means that ‘stars’ are at liberty to dive and kick and punch and waste time to kill the game as much as they want to. The worst offenders are out but Mbappé should have some dignity.

Well the time wasting is easy to deal with. Just have the refs tell the players that time-wasting will be dealt with by adding disproportionately more time to the game, and have them follow through.

What a resistance from Croatia! This team deserves to win! 4.3 mln people -- and all Slavic team to rival Brits with all their Primer League.

Top Bottom