The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Good frantic pace really adds to the tension with 2-1 Croatia.

I guess it is NOT coming home after all!

Wtf I love Croatia now

Good match. Croatia really dialed it up in the second half.

That was England’s game to lose, I’m surprised they didn’t concede during that appalling period of panic following the equaliser.

Croatia deserve a lot of credit for hanging in there, especially since they went to half time rattled. I hope they give France a run for their money in the final!

Still, semi-finals is way better than I expected. Overall I’m pretty impressed with Gareth Southgate and his squad, especially Pickford.

I'm so damned happy to have England kicked out. This forum has been relaxed, but the neverending obnoxiousness of "it's coming home" everywhere just made me feel near-hatred against them, and I really wanted them to lose.
I don't think I've been invested like that in a game where my team didn't participate since a lot of years.

Gratz Croatia.
And respect for a team who can manage THREE 120 mn match and still win. That's either impressive, of they got their hand on some russian stuff.

And also they were 3 times trailing and still won! This was an epic win, I was so happy it did not go to penalties, so that no one could say Slavs were just lucky. No, they were skillful, strong and tenacious. But unfortunately France will stop them. Too much power in that team.

I'm so damned happy to have England kicked out. This forum has been relaxed, but the neverending obnoxiousness of "it's coming home" everywhere just made me feel near-hatred against them, and I really wanted them to lose.
I don't think I've been invested like that in a game where my team didn't participate since a lot of years.

For what it’s worth, that meme definitely started off as self-deprecating irony. The problem was when people started believing it. I agree it’s been annoying– if you think the memes are bad, we’ve been beset by advertising quoting those lyrics for the last several days.

And this means that the obnoxious “years of heart” will only continue into future tournaments :p

I started out rooting for Croatia, and I still want them to win first place, but they played a bit dirty and it seemed like the referee was on their side. Far too forgiving.
Still a very good game. During the first half the English were so well organized that it looked like they had more players on the field, but in the second half Croatia's offense was relentless.
I hope they didn't tire themselves out too much for the match against France.

The England team didn't let up and made it the best game I've seen so far this
Cup. Now the English can now concentrate on winning Brexit.

Gratz Croatia.
And respect for a team who can manage THREE 120 mn match and still win. That's either impressive, of they got their hand on some russian stuff.

I wonder how much an extra rest day helps France.

I hope they didn't tire themselves out too much for the match against France.
I wonder how much an extra rest day helps France.
I'm going to be a bit unsportmanlike and hope the Croatians are dead on their feet sunday :D

France has always been incredibly unreliable, managing to win upset that no one thought they could, but also to lose when being the overwhelming favourite (Euro 2016 is still a very painful memory). So I'm fully expecting a surprise defeat in the final.

I don’t think Croatia can beat France. Still, this World Cup has had no shortage of upsets. Anything can happen.

I'm going to be a bit unsportmanlike and hope the Croatians are dead on their feet sunday :D
Maybe the French team will overdo it with the wine and rich sauces on Bastille Day. :)

Two games to go, another match to process. Next time we'll have to start, well - at the beginning.

At the forefront, still at eleven, AdrienIer, caketastydelish, Ozbenno, ThERat and Uberfrog. You're just going to squeeze onto the podium, lads.

Ten points, and proudly so, for BirraImperial and Turquoiside.

Behind them, with nine points, we see Ferocitus, red_elk, shadowplay, Snerk and Sofista.

Eight points, but with the chance to make it to ten, for Rik Meleet and Takhisis. Raen is just trailing them with seven points. CFC vote would have sole lead, with a whopping 12 points

It was a great game, beyond analysis for me right now. What can I pinpoint as decisive tonight? Trippier was Man of the Match in the first half, then ran out of steam just as Perisic was waking up from a beauty nap and remembered where he was. Big Mario the gladiator scored, as he deserved for all the sweat he put to keep his team going forward. England controlled most of the game, but maybe, just maybe, not having a Modric or a Rakitic in the midfield proved their Achilles' Heel in the end.

My final bid:
Belgium vs England (to the Belgians, third place is still a historical result, while the English will be IMO overcome with regret, duly poured on by their media)
France vs Croatia (the Balkan Boys would gladly give at least a finger for their team... but call me cynical, for my money, there's no miracles in football. And France DOES have the midfield to face Croatia's, and much more rested to boot)

Final is between the two best midfields of the competition. Midfield quality has really shined during this competition

Belgium vs England
France vs Croatia

I think Belgium certainly have the better team, and will come away with bronze.

France certainly seem like they should win, but I don’t think we can rule out a Croatian fight-back. They’ve certainly proved they have endurance over the last six hours (!) they’ve played.

Should be a good final.

Belgium vs England
France vs Croatia

who knows, maybe Croatia can do what most people feel is unlikely to happen. I would love the underdog to win.

Top Bottom