The new looks

ahengle

Chieftain
It's been a while since I've been here, but got the craving to play C2C again. :)

But I must be honest here, the new UI, world, units looks in v40 turned me off quickly.

So I've settled for playing v39 (also new since I last played!), but it's sad I won't be able to keep up with new updates.

Am I the only one to think the graphic change was for the worse?

V39 has 2x slower turns than V40 on average.

You can change icon sizes - in BUG options for unit action buttons, and city build icons on top left of city build window.

By the way there are bugs, that were fixed in V40

Unit looks weren't changed - make sure you have medium render quality (low is glitchy).
You can't have selected Low Resolution Textures, Animations Frozen and Effects Disabled - this breaks other stuff.

Try SVN, as some stuff were adjusted here, and there are even more fixes and speedup.

Last edited:
Adjust FoV.

As for fonts I set them to those values for myself.
Code:
            {
                GFont .Size0_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 13, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size0_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     13, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size1_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 14, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size1_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     14, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size2_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 15, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size2_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     15, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size3_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size3_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size4_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 17, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size4_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     17, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));
            }
File is in Resource\Theme and name is C2CTheme_Common.thm

I fully disagree.
Can't say anything about the look of units.
CAN say that you can adjust the size of all icons (and it changes a lot of the game's visual perception, when you DO) - you really need to choose the size that fits YOU.
And the separation of build-types is a HUGE UPGRADE for someone like me (hint: I usually go for building everything at once, so this change made it immensely more clickable and enjoyable, as opposed to the cramped endless line previously).
That's besides a much clearer unit info positioning - less cramped for higher levels, and actually even looks more badass to have a WHOLE ROW of UPGRADES, lol.
All of this is still not PERFECT, of course, but it's a much more pleasant feel now than before, hehehe.

I'm not playing on low res, I have everything on high.

looking side by side, the units do seem to be the same, but smaller.

v39: https://i.imgur.com/5qeIhva.png
v40: https://i.imgur.com/njVPXzt.png

also, the fonts in v40 seem pretty messed up. I'm using 1920 x 1080 resolution
What you are seeing is a change in the camera angle. No more no less. Toffer90 when he added the PPIO UI changed this angle. That is why when you view your 2 images there is a change. The 42 setting for view for these 2 versions uses a slightly different camera angle.

Otherwise there is no difference.

As has been mentioned play around with the settings for the new UI to find out what suits you best. Overall v40 is hands down better than v39.

It's been a while since I've been here, but got the craving to play C2C again. :)

But I must be honest here, the new UI, world, units looks in v40 turned me off quickly.

So I've settled for playing v39 (also new since I last played!), but it's sad I won't be able to keep up with new updates.

Am I the only one to think the graphic change was for the worse?
It is much worse for me. I can't play C2C for more than 30 minutes without getting a vision migraine. Turns out it is in part the fact that I have to have it in high res. I can't play any BtS game at that resolution for long. The ones I can play the longest are the ones with the default terrain graphics.

It is much worse for me. I can't play C2C for more than 30 minutes without getting a vision migraine. Turns out it is in part the fact that I have to have it in high res. I can't play any BtS game at that resolution for long. The ones I can play the longest are the ones with the default terrain graphics.
You can play at resolution you used to play just like StrategyOnly (1024x768).
Change font sizes in file
...\Resource\Theme\C2CTheme_Common

I set font sizes to
Code:
{
                GFont .Size0_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 13, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size0_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     13, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size1_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 14, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size1_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     14, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size2_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 15, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size2_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     15, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size3_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size3_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     16, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));

GFont .Size4_Normal    = GFont("Sylfaen","Regular", 17, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA),                  0, GRectMargin(2));
                GFont .Size4_Bold    = GFont("Sylfaen","Bold",     17, GFlags(GFontFeature, GFC_FONT_ALPHA, GFC_FONT_BOLD), 0, GRectMargin(2));
            }
and I have 1280x1024.

You can adjust FoV slider too.

You can play at resolution you used to play just like StrategyOnly (1024x768).
Change font sizes in file
...\Resource\Theme\C2CTheme_Common

I set font sizes to
Code:
{

}
and I have 1280x1024.

You can adjust FoV slider too.
I did try some initial ones of these to no affect but will try these.

How do I get rid of the annoying tick marks? There used to be an option for it but I can't find it.

New game just started on latest SVN and I did not get a Tribal Guardian with my first city. Has that been changed?

Even though I have "Remember FoV" on it does not remember it when I load a game. Assuming scrolling in with the mouse view is the same as FoV. edit it isn't even though it does the same thing. Looks like the link was either not done or is now broken.

edit I have changed the icon size in the city screen (down by one size) but how do I do the same thing in the main screen? Those icons are still the same size as they were before.

Last edited:
How do I get rid of the annoying tick marks? There used to be an option for it but I can't find it.

New game just started on latest SVN and I did not get a Tribal Guardian with my first city. Has that been changed?

Even though I have "Remember FoV" on it does not remember it when I load a game. Assuming scrolling in with the mouse view is the same as FoV. edit it isn't even though it does the same thing. Looks like the link was either not done or is now broken.

edit I have changed the icon size in the city screen (down by one size) but how do I do the same thing in the main screen? Those icons are still the same size as they were before.
@Toffer90 can add option to toggle tick marks.

You should get Tribal Guardian otherwise somehow game bugged, or your installation is messed up.

Unit action icon sizes are in BUG settings.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2020-01-27 22-10-30-13.png

@Toffer90 can add option to toggle tick marks.

You should get Tribal Guardian otherwise somehow game bugged, or your installation is messed up.

Unit action icon sizes are in BUG settings.
1. The tick marks used to be optional, so don't know why they were made mandatory.

2. Hopefully it also does the tech icons at the top of the page also.

3. However since I did not get a Tribal Guardian and that Villages (goodies) are not showing up even though they are there, I suspect something wrong in my install.

On the good side I have been playing for over half an hour so far with no problems.

1. The tick marks used to be optional, so don't know why they were made mandatory.

3. However since I did not get a Tribal Guardian and that Villages (goodies) are not showing up even though they are there, I suspect something wrong in my install.

On the good side I have been playing for over half an hour so far with no problems.
Update to latest SVN again. Looks like it could stopped updating halfway trough.
Or redownload SVN from scratch.

Tick marks were removed in PPIO before getting put back.
Also you can't change tech icon sizes - Toffer can add option to resize them.

Update to latest SVN again. Looks like it could stopped updating halfway trough.
Or redownload SVN from scratch.

Tick marks were removed in PPIO before getting put back.
Also you can't change tech icon sizes - Toffer can add option to resize them.
Not icon size on the Tech Screen but the Tech Icons that appear in the city and main screen when you have no research yet.

Not icon size on the Tech Screen but the Tech Icons that appear in the city and main screen when you have no research yet.
That's what I meant - size of tech icons (those that appear on top of screen if you don't have selected techs for research).

I originally removed tick marks completely due to them not actually serving any purpose and because they require quite extensive code to exist. SO went apehorsehocky over the removal of the tick marks so I added them back in, but didn't bother adding in the option again. Guess I have to add in the option again too.
I'll make a separate BUG option for it, makes sense to have an option for that.
That's odd. . . Something might be wrong with your installation.

I originally removed tick marks completely due to them not actually serving any purpose and because they require quite extensive code to exist. SO went ape**** over the removal of the tick marks so I added them back in, but didn't bother adding in the option again. Guess I have to add in the option again too.
I'll make a separate BUG option for it, makes sense to have an option for that.

That's odd. . . Something might be wrong with your installation.
Are you talking about all those UNNECESSARY ALERT MINI-POPUPS that litter the map screen whenever some action starts happening?
I'd be SUPER GLAD to get rid of them ASAP (at least optionally).
They aren't helping horsehocky and are annoying as I dunno what.

Are you talking about all those UNNECESSARY ALERT MINI-POPUPS that litter the map screen whenever some action starts happening?
I'd be SUPER GLAD to get rid of them ASAP (at least optionally).
They aren't helping **** and are annoying as I dunno what.
Its completely different thing.

We were talking about tech progress bar on top of screen.
These green tick marks are shown if it takes more than two or something turns to research tech.

Top Bottom