Civ VI early game guide for the Decidedly Average (feedback welcome!)

If it hasn't been brought up already, I would like to add that the Military Tradition civic is also very useful for the flanking and support bonuses, which can make or break an early war.

Also, I haven't had much direct experience with the Diplomatic Victory. But one thing that I've noticed is that Emergencies seem to be VERY important for a Diplomatic Victory. Most (if not all) emergencies grant you a diplo victory point, and I've failed a couple attempts at Diplo Vic because I didn't get any VCs from emergencies, and there just weren't enough World Congress sessions for me to earn all 10.

A strong army, and a strong religious game seem to be the two best ways to win emergencies, since most of the ones that I've seen (outside of aid requests) are to liberate a conquered capital / city state, or de-convert a converted holy city.

Last edited:
So how does this apply or change with the June patch? Excellent write-up, very clear and structured!

I tend to downvote this one.

Many of the things mentioned are severely outdated. If I don't look at the lower-right corner I'll consider this as a vanilla guideline published in year 2016 or 2017, instead of a guideline to Gathering Storm in year 2019 when walls are bonused to 100 outer defense, 3 city strength, and some types of walls begin to neglect rams/towers.

Pingala, religious settlements, Diplomatic favour. A full starting guide is a lot of work and upkeep.

Yes, apologies. Masters Thesis > Civ 6 guide writing. It is in need of updating, but I do believe in the premise still - there always seems to be a lot of basic questions that people need answered when they are just starting out.

Yes, apologies.
No, you have gone where few do, to walk out on the target range. Full marks.
Factual not critical, you still have my respect.
My comment was to a degree introspective.

So much to consider in a starters guide, pretty much the whole game. Perhaps a more conceptual guide would survive time hmmm. There I go again.

No, you have gone where few do, to walk out on the target range. Full marks.
Factual not critical, you still have my respect.
My comment was to a degree introspective.

So much to consider in a starters guide, pretty much the whole game. Perhaps a more conceptual guide would survive time hmmm. There I go again.

In a sense a written starters guide for civ 6 is not far off from a thesis. I remember in Civ 4 Sisiutil's guide was quite in depth. I believe he made a pdf out of it.

Edit: His civ 4 guide is 46 pages :crazyeye:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sisiutils-strategy-guide-for-beginners.165632/

Last edited:
as someone similar to the OP I had a phase of what I called the 'murderous' start it involved eliminating the nearest civ and inheriting their land 'thanks for the writing boost now meet my archers' not very ethical but it certainly gives you the room to build a decent size empire is this a standard strategy for other players?

as someone similar to the OP I had a phase of what I called the 'murderous' start it involved eliminating the nearest civ and inheriting their land 'thanks for the writing boost now meet my archers' not very ethical but it certainly gives you the room to build a decent size empire is this a standard strategy for other players?

There are definitely variations, and they've since made updates to the game that makes this a little harder so you can't just depend on having a neighbor to squelch (namely, the AI favors ranged units for defense much more now which can put a hard stop on your early expansion). Peaceful expansion into a peaceful endgame (or a later rush like Knights or Musketmen) has always been perfectly viable. I wrote this with a newer player (or someone recently popping up from King to Emperor) in mind. I envision the "basic" way to play as fire up the game, pick Rome on Continents or Pangea, build 3-4 cities, rush to Iron Working, build your Legions and smash your neighbors. There's much more to this game but I just see a lot of people always poking around the forums saying, basically "I have no idea how to play or what's good" and I wrote this with them in mind.

I wrote this with a newer player (or someone recently popping up from King to Emperor) in mind
I'm a decidedly average player wishing to raise my game so I can get to diety & win,I hope you don't mind me asking questions in this thread, (one of the delights of civ6 is there is always more to discover

Thank you for the guide. It's well done.

I think this:
....There's much more to this game but I just see a lot of people always poking around the forums saying, basically "I have no idea how to play or what's good" and I wrote this with them in mind.
is a pretty common problem with new Civ players. I know it was in C3C, and I can't imagine that it's any different in C6 (or any of the other iterations. I was moderately well versed in C3C at one time and even I'm a little lost in C6. So, again, thank you for the guide.

Yes, apologies. Masters Thesis > Civ 6 guide writing. It is in need of updating, but I do believe in the premise still - there always seems to be a lot of basic questions that people need answered when they are just starting out.

goood luck with the Masters!

I'm not sure what the best approach to fast expanding is these days. When harvest was a thing I did the monumentality golden ages with it and used faith to expand but now it seems much slower. Should I just go early empire and pump/chop out settlers or wait for ancestral hall?

Edit: Also when expanding builder first for new cities or monument first?

I'm not sure what the best approach to fast expanding is these days. When harvest was a thing I did the monumentality golden ages with it and used faith to expand but now it seems much slower. Should I just go early empire and pump/chop out settlers or wait for ancestral hall?

fast expanding at the beginning is something Ive never mastered,I tend towards a cautious rate of growth

Fast expansion is one of the key factors to faster victory times and winning Deity, and it's notoriously difficult to get right. I fail in most of my games, or at least I look back and easily see where I made mistakes. There are many approaches to settling fast.

1. Ancestral Hall: When you have tons of free land available and are expecting to do well in culture (maybe you are Rome or Greece) to get a fast Feudalism, this might be the strategy to go for.
You want to get two Settlers out very early, either through building both or via the Settler Pantheon. Your first 2 expansions should have a decent amount of production, so hills are good, as are pastures. Strategics should also be a priority. You will probably want to start building settlers as your 2nd, 3rd or 4th build (requires some decent growth, you might want to purchase a tile). Having your cities down by around t30 is key. Get a builder first in both those cities and improve their production. Meanwhile, get the capital to at least 4 pop (one for your first district, four for the government plaza). Prioritize getting the Govt. Plaza, then Early Empire, then Political Philosophy, then Feudalism. As soon as you get Early Empire, when your Workers are finished, you start producing Settlers in your expo while still working on the Plaza/ Hall in your capital. It's fine, they'll have to walk around for a few turns anyway before plopping down. After AH is build you want to spam settlers for the next 20-50 turns in your capital depending on how much space there is. Make sure you have Magnus with Provision promoted, sitting in the capital, before that first Settler from the cap is built. Make sure you have your builder charge card in before you settle your later cities (you'll want Feudalism asap, t55-75 would be ideal, but not always realistic). It can be worth to wait one or even two turns with settling a city just for those 2 charges. Monumentality is almost a must.

2. Early Empire: When you have decent amounts of free land and aren't looking very strong in terms of culture.
Ancestral Hall is not required or always ideal depending on how much space you have. With this approach you will build only one city before EE, and you'll likely build it later in order to fit a monument, which will in turn speed up EE. This way you can build your second settler with the +50% production card slotted in. Needless to say for this approach go EE over the Government Plaza. You are not reliant on getting your cap to pop 4 and you're also much more flexible in the ways you settle. Choose your city spots freely, focus on cutting enemies off and securing territory always, instead of settling cities that are convenient. Look for mountain ranges, water, city states and the like to box your opponents in and stop their settlers before they're even built. I often times run into the situation where I am seeing an enemy settler running out of their borders and mine is already in place to forward settle, that is probably the ideal scenario. With this strategy you can still go AH, or you could go Warlord's and take out one neighbor. This mixed strategy has also worked pretty well for me and is recommend for people who have already played lots of AH games and want something new. Monumentality is welcome, but not a must.

3. Domination: When you have little space, but many close-by neighbors
You usually only want to settle two cities, preferably very close to a neighbor with one good Encampment spot. After you build your cities you will likely only expand through conquest, unless you need a specific spot for a strategic. Note that this can work for science, culture, etc. games as well, not just for pure dominations. Monumentality isn't needed, but isn't bad either.

Of course there are many other ways to expand rapidly, but these are some of the more common ones and cover most scenarios.

Builders when you can afford Ilkum (maybe as Greece, or when you get a lightning fast govt), or when you have very strong tiles to improve (mining luxes, horses, iron for ex.). Monument first when you are lacking culture and don't have very strong tiles to improve (farming ressources, production-less luxuries, fish or crabs).

Fast expansion is one of the key factors to faster victory times and winning Deity, and it's notoriously difficult to get right. I fail in most of my games, or at least I look back and easily see where I made mistakes. There are many approaches to settling fast.

1. Ancestral Hall: When you have tons of free land available and are expecting to do well in culture (maybe you are Rome or Greece) to get a fast Feudalism, this might be the strategy to go for.
You want to get two Settlers out very early, either through building both or via the Settler Pantheon. Your first 2 expansions should have a decent amount of production, so hills are good, as are pastures. Strategics should also be a priority. You will probably want to start building settlers as your 2nd, 3rd or 4th build (requires some decent growth, you might want to purchase a tile). Having your cities down by around t30 is key. Get a builder first in both those cities and improve their production. Meanwhile, get the capital to at least 4 pop (one for your first district, four for the government plaza). Prioritize getting the Govt. Plaza, then Early Empire, then Political Philosophy, then Feudalism. As soon as you get Early Empire, when your Workers are finished, you start producing Settlers in your expo while still working on the Plaza/ Hall in your capital. It's fine, they'll have to walk around for a few turns anyway before plopping down. After AH is build you want to spam settlers for the next 20-50 turns in your capital depending on how much space there is. Make sure you have Magnus with Provision promoted, sitting in the capital, before that first Settler from the cap is built. Make sure you have your builder charge card in before you settle your later cities (you'll want Feudalism asap, t55-75 would be ideal, but not always realistic). It can be worth to wait one or even two turns with settling a city just for those 2 charges. Monumentality is almost a must.

2. Early Empire: When you have decent amounts of free land and aren't looking very strong in terms of culture.
Ancestral Hall is not required or always ideal depending on how much space you have. With this approach you will build only one city before EE, and you'll likely build it later in order to fit a monument, which will in turn speed up EE. This way you can build your second settler with the +50% production card slotted in. Needless to say for this approach go EE over the Government Plaza. You are not reliant on getting your cap to pop 4 and you're also much more flexible in the ways you settle. Choose your city spots freely, focus on cutting enemies off and securing territory always, instead of settling cities that are convenient. Look for mountain ranges, water, city states and the like to box your opponents in and stop their settlers before they're even built. I often times run into the situation where I am seeing an enemy settler running out of their borders and mine is already in place to forward settle, that is probably the ideal scenario. With this strategy you can still go AH, or you could go Warlord's and take out one neighbor. This mixed strategy has also worked pretty well for me and is recommend for people who have already played lots of AH games and want something new. Monumentality is welcome, but not a must.

3. Domination: When you have little space, but many close-by neighbors
You usually only want to settle two cities, preferably very close to a neighbor with one good Encampment spot. After you build your cities you will likely only expand through conquest, unless you need a specific spot for a strategic. Note that this can work for science, culture, etc. games as well, not just for pure dominations. Monumentality isn't needed, but isn't bad either.

Of course there are many other ways to expand rapidly, but these are some of the more common ones and cover most scenarios.

Builders when you can afford Ilkum (maybe as Greece, or when you get a lightning fast govt), or when you have very strong tiles to improve (mining luxes, horses, iron for ex.). Monument first when you are lacking culture and don't have very strong tiles to improve (farming ressources, production-less luxuries, fish or crabs).

Thank you for this, exactly the answer I was looking for!

@yung.carl.jung Thanks for the write up. My questions are directed specifically towards expansion for science victories.

What tier 1 government do you choose? Autocracy or Classical Republic? Classical Republic has a nice housing/amenity bonus and can run 3 economic cards, but the diplo slot doesn't seem useful to me except when slotting Diplomatic League for the extra envoy. Autocracy provides extra yields in the cap and eventually whichever city builds AH, and the military policies can be leveraged for building things for future eurekas (i.e. 3 heavy chariots, 3 archers, 3 warriors, harbors/encampment, etc.).

I'm going to continue to flesh out the "Magnus chop settlers while building AH but don't settle them until AH is done" strategy. They can at least arrive at their destination and get the free builder asap. Then the AH city can continue to build them once complete. I'm not sure I've played a game where Feudalism was researched at T55...I can see beelining it with chopping an early wonder like Oracle and throwing down some TSs around it and getting it around T65-70. Greece and Japan are especially good since they build them faster. I never get the games and recreation boost it seems and if not declared upon, the D tactics is failed as well.

What about governors? I'm thinking between Early Empire, State Workforce, and the Gov Plaza, one could go Liang for the extra builder charges (huge in the early game), Magnus, then Magnus Provisions. The extra charges from Liang can help chop the settlers, chop an early wonder, get luxuries/strategics online, or at the very least build some farms for the Feudalism boost. Then Pingala can be prioritized. What do you think?

Top Bottom