New Open Dev out now! :D

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio Dev
And here I was planning on playing the new patch for Civ today but I missed Lucy so sounds like that patch will wait a little :p

Great news! But sadly, not available for Mac or Geforce Now once again. Well, better for my time management if I just watch a video or two...

BazFrazzlingBarglenabit: I've got three major projects to finish up, the new April release for Civ VI, and now this! I think Civ VI and at least two projects are about to go on One Week Holds . . .

So I have a bug that prevents me from really trying the OpenDev: the camera continuously pans to the top left no matter what I do. Also, whenever I move the mouse it switches to a smaller cursor, which creates an annoying flickering effect between large and small cursors, but that doesn't prevent me from playing.

Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

So I have a bug that prevents me from really trying the OpenDev: the camera continuously pans to the top left no matter what I do. Also, whenever I move the mouse it switches to a smaller cursor, which creates an annoying flickering effect between large and small cursors, but that doesn't prevent me from playing.

Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution?
Do you have a controller plugged in?

Do you have a controller plugged in?

Brilliant idea. It is a Gamecube controller that the computer shouldn't know how to read without a special plugin running (which it hasn't been), but unplugging it didn't help. Restarting the computer afterwards didn't help. Now I'm trying to reinstall.

Edit: Also I am honored that you left lurker mode to give me this excellent suggestion. Thanks for helping, and welcome!

Are they seriously putting Twitch streamer avatars into the game? Gross.

Personally I feel like it is kinda a way to address the "recognizability" of AI factions.

Back in Civ, it is very easy to recognize and identify the AI as a "stable" figure. You meet Gilgamesh in 2000 BCE, he will stay the same Sumerian Gilgamesh well into 2000 CE, and still being the friendly bro. You meet Alexander in 2000 BCE, he will stay the same Macedonian Alexander well into 2000 CE, and still being the annoying kid.

Humankind, with its Era system, doesn't really have this effect. You meet AI 1 in 2000 BCE, they are Assyrians; one Era later they become Mauryans; another Era passed they turned into Teutons. The players won't have an easy time trying to remember which AI "being" which culture; and the AI avatars would change their clothings based on their culture picks, which make recognizing them more harder.
From the experience of Lucy Opendev, I found that the Brown AI left the most impression among players, since that AI would stick to a culture throughout the game, thus become easily identifiable. Also, as a Civ player, I sometimes feel a sense of estrangement with other AIs in Humankind, since their identity isn't that stable.

With Twitch streamer Avatars (again, from my personal experience, that is), the AI figures can become a bit a more stable, since I can recognize them as unique established figures (IRL content creators) instead of someone who would change their appearance per Era. I am able to get the "Gilgamesh all the way" feel a bit with this set up.

In general, "de-figurization" (or "dehumanization") is one of the main features of Humankind, as well as the main direction it departs from Civ series (which had a "leader" system from the very beginning). So I guess having Twitch streamer avatars is a natural progression of Humankind - the last HMK Opendev already have this system.

@8housesofelixir: I get that. I think one of the problems with Beyond Earth was the random people that nobody cared about leading each faction. The problem is even worse when you constantly change "cultures". But... Twitch players? Ew. No thanks. I don't want them anywhere near my game. It's gross.

@8housesofelixir: I get that. I think one of the problems with Beyond Earth was the random people that nobody cared about leading each faction. The problem is even worse when you constantly change "cultures". But... Twitch players? Ew. No thanks. I don't want them anywhere near my game. It's gross.

Ignore that they're twitch streamers. They're just other human avatars.

And here I was planning on playing the new patch for Civ today but I missed Lucy so sounds like that patch will wait a little :p

Is it a coincidence the Victor OpenDev coincided with the Civ VI final free patch? :mischief:

Apr 22 was a big day.
I'm loving Humankind so far. It feels very next gen.

I think it has Civ's "one more turn" in its genes as it keeps making me want to reload :D

Though I find the language of Humankind a little strange, probably thanks to French devs. (I'm not knocking French devs, as I myself have worked in France and with Francophone devs in the past who can hold their own as demonstrated by Amplitude).

I've been playing the Humankind VictorOpenDev and I am astounded at the quality of the game.
And Amplitude didn't release it?! :wow:

2K+Firaxis would've shipped it months ago :lol:

Moderator Action: We dedicated this forum to Humankind. Please keep your comments on topic for that game. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
after digging there is a lot of issues regarding pacing balancing and game mechanic but still, there is lot of improvement and this opendev shows amplitude willing to listen the community and shipping an unbroken product (not pointing at a 6th game made for mobile("artistic choice yeah... never again will i trust this")).

for firaxis... civilization 6... let's not talk about this.. by delaying for the sake of the community, and showing what has been made and asking for another review. amplitude, thanks!

I've been playing the Humankind VictorOpenDev and I am astounded at the quality of the game.
And Amplitude didn't release it?! :wow:

2K+Firaxis would've shipped it months ago :lol:
They haven't release it yet because of the large amount of feedback for the previous OpenDev and the need to make the game better. But already the game is almost in a quasi-finished state, even at the very first OpenDev which I was lucky to be a part of.

I know I'm not a moderator, but I think this thread is better to be merged with the other OpenDev threads, either the old one or the new one.

Top Bottom