Funny - haha - things/features/short cut/hacks etc.

Space_76

Chieftain
Have you found a funny og interesing way of playing that can inspire me and others?

Allow me to start.

I play the Cartagenians and I create Maoi-statues on Ponta Delgada (Portuguese).
I find the Maoi statues quite powerfull.

When the Portuguese arrive I go to war against them and can fairly easily beat them as I am quite powerfull and continued after winning the Historical Victory.

I've always been tempted to play Carthage, built Moai on Ponta Delgada, then swap to Portugal once they spawn so that the super-city flips to them. Never actually done it, but still tempted. (...I wonder if it's possible to build Moai Statues and then Colossus, just for extra silliness. Maybe use Greece instead, to ensure no else builds the Colossus elsewhere.)

Not really sure how much of a hack that is but some UHV can be made easier by going out of your way to get a different state religion:
1) India: early settling of a city in Zoroastrianism's territory but out of Persia's flipzone, found and adopt Zoroastrianism for extra temples (and possibly Apadana Palace for faster workers and Edict in every city).
2) Russia: adopt Catholicism ASAP (can spread there but capturing a European city like Budapest or Helsinki will work best) for better relations with the European civs and wonders (potentially Santa Maria del Fiore + Great Engineer'd Versailles, for a Great Statesman farm and an Estate in your many cities). You can gamble on Protestantism if you want cash and more wonders (The Bourse in the aforementioned farm can give you some Great Merchants). The best part is that nobody else but Byzantium is Orthodox and they'll typically collapse during the Renaissance so a state religion switch or Secularism can give you some extra Orthodox wonders.
There are problably lots of other examples.

As Russia I also like to settle Minsk instead of letting Kiev spawn. Kiev is hard to conquer with your starting army (meaning some other civ can get it before you) and is a prime target for Crimea's barbarians. Meanwhile Minsk is a very good site even with Poland's spawn, and Poland is likely to peace vassalize to you, which gives you cultural priority over some of its resources-rich tiles in Minsk's cross. Of course, you can also conquer its cities if you want to, but I usually find that unnecessary. The main downside of not settling Kiev or another southern/eastern city is that you don't get Iron for your Lancers, which is why Kherson 1E of the Kiev Iron should be a priority once you have enough defenders.

I like to play civs that should be dead but keep on living.
The best example is playing as Egypt and surviving till the end. It's micro heavy, because Egypt has 5 billion different things to deal with and also UNHEALTHINESS

Does settling Australia with Polynesia count?

Of cause it does :)

And so does playing with an ancient civilization - all the way - and some of the other "crazy" ideas.

@Dragosolon: Any favorite quotes from youtien you prefer?

Edit:
Spelling...

I have found it is the best Spanish starting strategy to burn down the two independent cities in France with your starting army and settle Pamplona as your capital. It gave me enough core-city mass to make the UHV on emperor.

Polynesia are islands, so is Australia... and Japan :crazyeye:

Tried to win domination with polynesia by settling papua new guinea with my first settler and building Samoa in Japan. It's hard to not collapse until getting into the classical age but was able to beat the japanese spawn by beelining to bloomery and combining swords with walls. Once I ate their settlers, they eventually made peace -> never dies -> never respawns. It's ridiculously hard (probably impossible) to catch up because of the 200% tech rate modifier so the best I was able to do was conquer China, India, Iran, Istanbul with tanks before getting wiped out by German modern armor and helicopters and timing out at 2020. Won't say it's impossible but it's stupid hard

I've always been tempted to play Carthage, built Moai on Ponta Delgada, then swap to Portugal once they spawn so that the super-city flips to them. Never actually done it, but still tempted. (...I wonder if it's possible to build Moai Statues and then Colossus, just for extra silliness. Maybe use Greece instead, to ensure no else builds the Colossus elsewhere.)

Really enjoyed building the Moai like you say but with Greece. It's a good setup for a speedrun.. After conquering Egypt with the initial troops (reset if they didn't build pyramid and sphinx) your first great person is going to be an engineer -> build moai in Azores. Corinthos (not athens) gets an extra fish and ridiculous pre-medieval bonuses with cothon and colossus. While building up cities and pulling an Alexander much later with heavy spearmen, you can save up GPs by putting research to 0% and not entering the medieval age. When ready, go 100% research and found islam + house of wisdom. Skip half the renaissance (until the last guy bulbs optics). If lucky, can also get Protestantism in ponta delgada and get oxord etc. The silk road is ridiculously good especially with all the resources you get. What's even better is combining that with textile industry, which is possible before 1400AD. Anyways I plowed over musketeers with modern armor using GPS to win domination. 10/10 would recommend

Really enjoyed building the Moai like you say but with Greece. It's a good setup for a speedrun.. After conquering Egypt with the initial troops (reset if they didn't build pyramid and sphinx) your first great person is going to be an engineer -> build moai in Azores. Corinthos (not athens) gets an extra fish and ridiculous pre-medieval bonuses with cothon and colossus. While building up cities and pulling an Alexander much later with heavy spearmen, you can save up GPs by putting research to 0% and not entering the medieval age. When ready, go 100% research and found islam + house of wisdom. Skip half the renaissance (until the last guy bulbs optics). If lucky, can also get Protestantism in ponta delgada and get oxord etc. The silk road is ridiculously good especially with all the resources you get. What's even better is combining that with textile industry, which is possible before 1400AD. Anyways I plowed over musketeers with modern armor using GPS to win domination. 10/10 would recommend
Just started your scenario. Very funny and I am soooo much ahead of the the other civilizations around BC 0.
Remember to send an early work boat to Azores so you dont waste a whip on that item.

Have you found a funny og interesing way of playing that can inspire me and others?

I play the Cartagenians and I create Maoi-statues on Ponta Delgada (Portuguese).
I find the Maoi statues quite powerfull.

Been there done that by starting as Greece, shipping a settler there and founding the city veeery early. Then switch to playing Rome and increase the city with buildings and the Moai statues, and then finally flip to Portugal and use both Lisbon and Ponta Delgada as these are big big cities already.

This idea of using a "precursor civilization" is really OP and is my preferred way to make Emperor gameplay possible: The "precursor civ" is totally underpowered, when compared to their competition, and cannot win, no-how. But that precursor civ goes to the core area of the future civilization that you intend playing later. After the flip, you'll be able to make use of all that infrastructure to the fullest, and despite playing on Emperor, you're dominant from the start.

Example builds:
  • Harappa building 4 cities in south India, or three cities in North India --> Tamils / India
  • Egypt only building a capital city in the Nile delta --> Greece can then easily snatch it up from sea
  • Egyptian start as above --> enable multiple flips in the game --> Greece founds Athens and a city north of Naples --> Rome flips that city, Greece declares war and gives Rome a lot of units that way, then Rome conquers Carthage+Athens+the Nile delta city, which is the entire mediterranean by 500 BC. Note, Rome's economy tanks that way, and you cannot continues expansion for quite a while after gobbling up so much so early.
  • Rome as normal, conquers and concentrates on only improving Gallia / Hispania, ignoring the rest of the world --> France / Spain
  • Rome conquers Greece and really fortifies Asia Minor --> Byzantium, which then needs to make sure that the Turks never get territory, preventing Turkey's spawn
  • China builds up infrastructure and cities in Tibet, Korea or Japan --> Tibet / Korea / Japan
  • China builds up infrastructure in the extended (!!) core of Mongolia --> Mongolia
  • England or France, building up infrastructure in North America --> USA or Canada
  • Spain or Portugal building up one of the areas in South/Central America --> Colombia, Mexico, Argentina or Brazil (your choice)
  • HRE very focused on maximizing the Prussian core --> strong German start
A bit more insane?
  • Greece defends against Rome, makes strong core, then expands into 3 strong cities in Russia --> flip, Super-Russia from the beginning
  • Rome settling all the way down in the heart of Africa, paving lots of roads through Ethiopia --> flip, Super-Kongo
  • Harappa sending a settler and a worker to East Asia just in time before China spawns --> doesn't really work out because China's economy tanks on that setup
  • Vikings setting up Poland is a really really strong combo!
  • Harappa setting up cities (and losing them) in the Central Asian Turk core, wait out the Persians which is hard, and then --> flip to the Turks
  • Harappa can even wait out the millenia and finally flip to the Mughals. Requires taking control of the iron in central India
  • I have so far not found a way to manage a single-civ precursor for Italy, on Emperor settings. Would be curious on how to do so.
  • I also couldn't yet find a way to make Babylon have a more meaningful precursor-impact to any other civilization, than Harappa (for Persia) or Egypt (for Greece/Carthage/Arabia)

• I also couldn't yet find a way to make Babylon have a more meaningful precursor-impact to any other civilization, than Harappa (for Persia) or Egypt (for Greece/Carthage/Arabia)

I use Babylon for Persia/Arabia when I want Jerusalem to be raze-able with a Jewish holy city in Babylon. Also, sometimes I prefer Shush one south.

Even in Civilization, Americans don't care about soccer. :lol:
Spoiler Football, not Football :
20220314231943_1.jpg

I just finnish One City Challenge with Rome win by time. Greatest city ever. I'm gonna post something about it later.
Feels perverse to do it with this civ considering its UP.

Can somebody please carefully explain me how I start the One City Challenge?
I use 1.17
It's just a self-imposed challenge - you have to stick to one city the entire game.

Is is Civ IV BTS (no MOD) that have the possibility?
OCC gave the city could have endless numbers of wonders and other things as well.

Is is Civ IV BTS (no MOD) that have the possibility?
OCC gave the city could have endless numbers of wonders and other things as well.
Before this version it was a self-imposed challenge. But now you can go on custom scenario and click one city challenge like in vanilla. The main bonus you get is that you can build 3 National Wonders and unlimited World Wonders.

Top Bottom