No longer satisfied with current Civ VI experience, looking for advice on what to try next

Overdrive

Chieftain
Hello, I'm new around here, and I hope that this thread technically falls into the category of Civ VI, even though it's me expressing dissatisfaction with it. I'm not particularly good at being brief, so I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom for anyone who wants to give quick advice, with my full explanation and exact question that I'm asking below.

--

I've played Civ VI for a couple hundred hours now and simply no longer feel that there's anything left to really explore, which is a shame because there are still dozens of civilizations left to play as, along with lots of features and interactions that I have yet to fully experience. How, then, can it be that there's nothing left to do? The problem in a nutshell is quite simple: I don't feel that the (single-player) game has enough depth for someone who's attained at least a decent understanding of how to play and can comfortably win on at least immortal difficulty (which I can, but I haven't given deity a proper go because I don't suspect it actually fixes the fundamental issues I'm going to talk about below).

I'll cut right to the chase: I don't feel as if the AI understands the game it's playing. Rather, playing the game feels a bit like how I suspect playing one of my favorite board games with my 8 year old sister would go: if I explained the basics of the game to her, and gave her a ton of starting resources, there might be a "game" in the sense of me needing to overcome her starting advantage, but once I do so, the game is over. Choices no longer matter at that point. It doesn't matter:
  1. Which unit type I'm most in need of to conduct warfare the most efficiently, because I could also simply wait to outperform my opponents in science, train a handful of advanced units (it barely matters what type), and then wipe the board.
  2. Where I place my districts, because as long as I use very basic principles (campus/holy site near mountains, commercial hub near river, other districts wherever they'll get some bonuses, or on a bad tile if they aren't getting any), I'm going to be fine, because a point will always arrive where I begin to rocket past everyone with stackable bonuses multiplying each other and going haywire (example being: the AI, which does not seem to understand the value of being suzerain of many city-states, does not prevent me from becoming suzerain of 4-5 or even more, which I can often do quite easily with good civic management and the use of the policies that give you 2 envoys instead of 1; then when I get the card that gives +5% science/culture per suzerainty, now I'm going up 20-25%+ culture/science in one turn),
  3. Which wonders to pick. In the early game there is a real choice because the AI starts so far ahead of you that you have to really, really want a wonder to be willing to take the risk of working on it for many turns and potentially have someone else finish it first; I like this, although I dislike how some early wonders are basically impossible to get unless you make a beeline straight for them (e.g. Pyramids). In the late game, though, I can have pretty much every single wonder I want. In my last game as China, on immortal, I had built 12 wonders by the time the game ended in the modern era, and only lost one to another civ (Big Ben, which I started on late and started building even though it was basically irrelevant to my win condition, because why not).
  4. How to obtain strategic resources. I'm fairly confident I could literally give the AI a monopoly on all the coal and oil and I'd still be able to win a domination game if I wanted to.
  5. When to build a navy. Hint: I don't need a navy. I'll just build a few ships for some tech boosts, then they'll sit around for the rest of the game and do nothing, unless I declare war and use them to wipe the enemy's obsolescent fleet and help besiege some coastal cities.
  6. Where my traders should go. Hint: Just go to the city with the best yields. No thinking required.
  7. And so on...
Hopefully, you can understand my point, even if you feel I'm being rather harsh. I mean no offence to the developers of this game -- I have enjoyed the campaigns I've played through. I have enjoyed the experience of building up fantastic cities with great yields and many world wonders. But why do that all over again? Why place down the same mines on hills, lumber mills on forests, farms in farm triangles, campuses near mountains, wonders in core cities? Why determine the city that will be the most efficient for distributing factory production/entertainment complex amenities? Why do all that when the payoff is a late-game situation where I simply have to continue to micromanage which tech or civic I want (doesn't matter, because the choice between fighter jets and mechanized infantry is completely irrelevant in a world where my opponents still have pike and shot and galleys meandering about), where my traders should go (same place), what I should produce (district project that makes the win happen faster), where my spies should go (plain overkill, but sure, why not), what luxury resources to resell (all of the extras, not that it matters), all while continuing to hit "end turn" until my victory condition is technically fulfilled. None of the different victory types feel particularly different; culture may be the most satisfying, but all of them simply boil down to "number very big."

The Gathering Storm expansion and extra game modes unfortunately make the situation worse rather than more interesting, in my opinion. While I like a lot of the changes that the expansion makes, including tweaks to existing features that just make a lot more sense (for example: city-state bonuses that scale more reasonably, strategic resource stockpiling, and the lumber mill giving +2 production by default rather than +1, which, while it is a massive jump in production, does at least make those appropriately competitive with mines), a lot of the more substantial changes either add a) extreme annoyance (the ridiculousness that is the world congress and loyalty, and yes I know there are ways around loyalty problems -- that isn't my point) or b) bonuses that the player knows how to use and abuse (insane things like Pingala+Grants+Oracle, or Sinbad generating thousands of gold in the early-mid game), but which the AI has no understanding of, thereby making the game even easier than it already is.

Now, believe it or not, I'm not listing all these things to bash on the game needlessly. The reason I'm explaining all this is so that you have some baseline idea as to what it is I want from a Civilization-style game, based on my experience with Civ VI. I'll also go ahead and clarify what exactly it is I want now.

What I want from a Civilization-style game is a story. Not every type of game I play has to be heavy on story, but in a game like Civilization, where there are so many choices and things to think about, I want good choices to pay off and bad choices to not, and the story to be composed of those good and bad choices in a kind of harmony. To be clear, early-game Civ VI on immortal+ difficulty has a story -- I'm talking the first 100 turns or so on epic speed -- because there are so many things you want and you are very far behind the AI. But that story ends once you see that the game is won, which generally happens when you've either conquered several cities that you know you can retain, or built up your empire to be resilient to any invasion (the latter of which doesn't take much effort). The AI is exceedingly passive -- in my last game, I had no walls, one archer, one warrior, and a multitude of cities, but I just knew the AI wasn't really a threat to them, even when I saw their heavy chariots waltzing through my lands. Why play defensively when walls are unlikely to ever be necessary and your enemy can simply be conquered on a whim, and if, worse comes to worst, I can just insta-buy some new units with the ridiculous amounts of money I'm being handed for luxury resources? In a game where the optimal strategy is so obvious (wait for the point where a ruthless steamroll of your enemy is possible, and in the meantime play a tiny amount of defence when necessary), and where the other players of that game don't seem to understand that that's the optimal strategy, making them both extremely docile and also uninterested in actively preventing you from getting too far ahead -- even through something as simple as the creation of a defensive pact or trying to keep their units a bit more up to date -- there's really no story element at all, it's just your own personal sandbox.

One thing that's particularly crucial to me is to have warfare that is engaging, because you get a lot of interesting story from a good war. In Civ VI, there are no good wars, in my experience so far. For a fun war to even be possible in Civ VI, based on my current experience, it would need to happen very early on, because from the medieval era onwards the AI is generally completely hopeless against the player, who has built up infrastructure and the capability to build and maintain a diversified military. But early on, there's also very little satisfaction, because you know that with every city you take, you're greatly increasing your own power, and thereby shortening the game's lifespan. What I really want is to have a game where wars inevitably happen throughout history; you may start some of them, you may get sucked into others, and for still others you may be content to simply watch, but in any case there's some direct competition happening between civilizations almost constantly, and these wars lead to meaningful shifts in the game's power balance (rather than two AIs suiciding their units on their enemy's walls until they both get tired and stop). I want to see interesting peace treaties, defensive blocs, proxy wars, world wars, tense diplomacy, culture wars, religious wars (real ones, not just the AI suiciding their apostles one by one), border disputes, raiding and pillaging and sacking. I want playing proper defence to have some value: the construction of walls and fortifications, and eventually trenches, bunkers, and military bases. I want modern wars in the late game where you can truly sense the rules of the game have changed as bombers and battleships run rampant. I want to have a reason to keep pushing my technological advantage beyond the industrial era, rather than "just pick the tech that also happens to give me a production boost somewhere, because none of this matters anyway." But most importantly of all, I want the AI to actually understand what it's doing. How to get the most value out of each unit each turn, even if it's as simple as "use spearman on horse, use warrior on archer." When to retreat with and protect its weakened units, and when to give chase to the enemy. When and how to use siege units (probably not by sending forward two trebuchets against a line of field cannons, for example). When it needs help, badly -- get units into city centers or onto defensible terrain, call on an ally, build walls, build new units as fast as possible, but most of all don't just continue to sit there and allow your entire army to die. I don't need (or want) an AI that is super-optimized and can always beat me, I just need it to be competent enough to wage a war that isn't over in 5 turns due to woeful incompetence.

With all of that said (and thank you if you have read this far), my question is as follows: what Civ game, with what kind of setup, and what set of mods, and potentially even set of self-imposed restrictions if the AI needs a bit of help, would you recommend to try and best satisfy my wishes? I am being fully honest when I say that if the answer, hypothetically, were Civ I, I would be more than willing to play it. I really don't care about how old the game is or how dated the graphics are -- a good game that can tell a good story, and which has a competent enough AI for which you don't know the optimal strategy to beat (on high difficulty) after just one or two playthroughs, would be priceless. I've heard good things about both Civ IV: BtS and Civ V with Vox Populi, but I have also heard good things about Civ I-III. I would also like to know if there is any possible way to rescue Civ VI -- is there anything out there to give the late game even a semblance of depth? I've been using Real Strategy, which I feel is helping the AI to build walls at least, but they still suicide units all the time.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the post length -- just wanted to make it very clear what my question is.

-- tl;dr:

After playing a reasonable amount of Civ VI on immortal difficulty, I feel that it does not have the depth necessary for the game to tell a good story or be all that satisfying to play through to completion. I would like to explore other options (i.e., other Civ games and their associated mods) that may do a better job of this. Specifically, I want the game to be capable of producing good stories (what that means exactly is somewhat subjective, but basically, there should be depth, meaningful decision-making, and a game state that changes in a unique and interesting way over time), and I want the AI to be competent at the game, especially when it comes to direct warfare. Ideally, there should be few ways to really abuse the AI to win. The AI should be good enough to keep you honest throughout the game and force you to build up a proper military with proper defenses. I would also love it if there were some element of diplomacy (diplomacy technically exists in Civ VI, but feels too random to be interesting).

Your critique is spot on: the AI can't play the game, the late game is dull, World Congress is terrible, I agree with everything you wrote. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the game (>1K hours), but it has some major shortcomings.

I picked up Old World at the start of this month. I highly recommend you give the demo a try. It's a smaller-scale game, but a much, much more coherent design, with some real storytelling aspects to it. I haven't played Civ VI since I acquired it, except to play some MP with my sons.

Your description is spot on, exactly mirroring my experience

Depending on your platform mods can fix a LOT of the issues with this game. Adding mods to the steam version is point and click.

I would start out with these mods as a base

For bugs:

Real Fixes
More Barbarian XP
Zegangani’s Real Allies
City State Defender

For the terrible front loaded AI:

Another Smooth Difficulty Mod
No AI Combat Bonus
Real Strategy
Adaptive Difficulty

For general tweaking and customization
Customization VI: This mods allows you, among other things, to delete/modify a LOT of terrible mechanics like World Congress, Disasters, Loyalty, Golden/Dark ages, Rock Bands, Religion

It’s worth it just to remove World Congress

I have a ton of other mods that I believe dramatically improve game play, but my mod list is like 8 pages on Steam

I really, really recommend that you give Civ V with Vox Populi a try. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's very much worth it. It's a much better designed game in my opinion, with interconnected systems which are both more enjoyable and make sense, and the AI actually knows how to play it.

-- tl;dr:

After playing a reasonable amount of Civ VI on immortal difficulty, I feel that it does not have the depth necessary for the game to tell a good story or be all that satisfying to play through to completion. I would like to explore other options (i.e., other Civ games and their associated mods) that may do a better job of this. Specifically, I want the game to be capable of producing good stories (what that means exactly is somewhat subjective, but basically, there should be depth, meaningful decision-making, and a game state that changes in a unique and interesting way over time), and I want the AI to be competent at the game, especially when it comes to direct warfare. Ideally, there should be few ways to really abuse the AI to win. The AI should be good enough to keep you honest throughout the game and force you to build up a proper military with proper defenses. I would also love it if there were some element of diplomacy (diplomacy technically exists in Civ VI, but feels too random to be interesting).
I can subscribe probably under every word you wrote and this tldr in particular. And I believe that this is the price of Civ going modern and mainstream. Nice looking and sounding to encourage the purchase, but the inner workings are very very shoddy.

For AI that's much more competent at the game I suggest Civ 4 (BtS), it is the last Civ game where AI is capable of winning every victory condition, if you let them, and it also produces good stories too. You can have great games. Civ 1-3 also have their own charm as well.
From more recent titles you can check out Old World - incredible stories and quirks of history. AI will make you sweat until you learn the ropes.

Have you tried multi-player? If you get a couple of good civ buddies the game still has juice. I met mine playing online, none of my friends play. I agree with everything you said.

Your critique is spot on: the AI can't play the game, the late game is dull, World Congress is terrible, I agree with everything you wrote. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the game (>1K hours), but it has some major shortcomings.

I picked up Old World at the start of this month. I highly recommend you give the demo a try. It's a smaller-scale game, but a much, much more coherent design, with some real storytelling aspects to it. I haven't played Civ VI since I acquired it, except to play some MP with my sons.
I second that, plus in Old World the AI really knows how to play the game… there you really can lose the game if things does not go well, i know what i am saying 😅.

I have found both Old World and Humankind to be engaging and challenging Civlikes. Old World is mechanically closer to Civilization (it shares a lead designer with Civ IV), and will most assuredly satisfy your craving for challenging warfare; the AI is very capable and I think that most people who complain about the 1-unit-per-tile paradigm would change their minds upon playing it. Also it's got characters (ala Crusader Kings) and more events than you can shake a stick at, so you certainly won't want for enthralling stories.

Humankind has a decidedly mixed reputation, but it must have improved considerably since its release, because I started playing this year and I love it. Its AI, while not quite as whip-smart as Old World's, can still give me a run for my money, and I rather like its combat system. Mechanically it's a continuation of the Endless series, although it's also obviously patterned on Civilization, such that one might describe it as Civ VII from a parallel universe; it's a pleasing mix of the familiar and the new.

I couldn't get into Humankind, but I keep meaning to try again. I only tried it right after release.

I'm a bit burned out on Civ 6 myself. I still have 4 more civs of the latest dlc to play, but they are also the least interesting to me. I got over 3000 hours out of the game, so it's not like I haven't had my fun.

My only recommendation would be to try mods and roleplay a little. Set goals for yourself that aren't optimal, but that you enjoy. At this point Civ is mostly a Sim City type experience for me.

Eventually I'll play those final 4 civs, but for now I'm waiting for a little release on August 3rd that will occupy my time for a long while. It's a different genre, so I can't recommend it here. But yeah, BG3 is my thing for the foreseeable future.

Try some historical real-time games:

Age of Empires 3 & 4
Pharaoh a New Era
Caesar 3 with Augustus mod (the best ancient city-builder of all time).

I'm playing these while waiting patiently for Civ 7. 6 lost its appeal for me a long time ago.

I can definitely recommend Age 3. Get the Definitive Edition if you decide to try it. It's real-time strategy not turn-based, so it definitely has much more active game play. It's still actively being developed, though I think they're closing in on content complete now with the current team. New patch coming very soon with new visuals for the unique units of the European civs. The single player AI is challenging on Hard. Higher than that and it cheats for more resources. Multiplayer scene is a challenge due to the relatively smaller player base than the other Age titles. The advantage for it over 4 is that they've had a ton of time to fully flesh out the mechanics, add appropriate civs, and hone the strategic depth of the game. Age 4 gets a lot of criticism for simply not being up to the scope and quality of the older titles in DE form.

If you're hesitating on price, grab them on sale. They're great games and definitely worth the sale prices.

I've played Civ 6 for longer than you have, and I feel similarly to you in many ways. In my case, I don't think there's anything to be done--after hundreds of hours in a game, when you're done, you're done. Even if they fixed all of my minor omplaints with the game, I'm not sure I'd be interested in playing much more. So the cure for me, unfortunately, is Civ 7. Onward and upward!

Time to spread your wings to other 4x games. If you want to stick with Civ give Civ V Vox populi mod a spin, its very impressive. I have also heard very good things about old world for something civ-adjacent with decent AI.

If you want to try something a bit more fantasy i can recommend endless legend with the community patch. Like Vox Populi it makes impressive improvements to the enemy AI to keep the game challenging and entertaining.

Personally I've been spending a lot of time playing Gladius in multiplayer. Its a very combat focused 4x but its design is great for multiplayer games you can play through in a couple of hours.

In terms of fixing Civ Vi, sadly modders don't have access to the DLL which means deeper under the hood changes to the AI are impossible. So on a long enough timeline Civ VI really is dead compared to Civ V where the DLL is available and the AI can be progressively and endlessly improved as can been seen in Vox Populi. Best i've found for Civ Vi is real strategy and reducing the power of walls so the AI can wage some succesful wars against each other, but even then its bandaids and nowhere near the effectiveness of Vox Populi or the Endless Legend community patch.

Last edited:
Regarding Civ:

Playing against myself became the default in the last three years. I both love the game and find the AI very off putting. Your description of it feeling like playing a board game against your 8 year old sister resonates. Playing 6-Civ hotseat is what I found to be the most fun in terms of emerging stories and immersion, but those games take ages (at online speed, mind you). 4 Civs is more balanced and less time consuming, but it's still equivalent to roughly a marathon game. I actually am playing a 2 Civ hotseat atm. It's pretty fun in terms of competition, but the potential for emerging stories is non-existent.

I think the game has sufficient depth and having played Alpha Centauri, Civ IV and V, don't really think any of those games offer more depth (though this or that title might have handled some parts of the game better). Alpha Centauri is without a doubt at the top in terms of storytelling, but it might feel a bit dated for someone coming at it for the first time in 2023.

Mods which add more depth to certain areas of the game without overhauling the game. I play with these on either always or very frequently:
- Sukritact's Oceans
- JNR's Wetlands
- Albro's More Maritime Sectors
- Leugi / Captain Lime's Wildlife++ [original by Deliverator and Shirotora]
- Leugi / Captain Lime's Monopoly++
- Zegangani's Resource Cultivation
- Marshmallow Bear's Governor Overhaul
- TC's Strategic Forts
- Sailor Cat's Watchtower
- Religion Expanded (several modders)
- Leugi / pokiehl's Latin American Resources (the best resources mod, imo)

There's also JNR's Grand Eras if you wish to experience a reworked tech and civic tree. It integrates seamlessly with many popular mods.
---

As for games with emergent narratives, I STRONGLY recommend Stellaris. Some DLC are highly recommended. Just check a couple youtube video to get an idea of the best ones. Most of the best DLC are already old and fairly cheap on sale.

Maybe strategy isn't your thing. You can try other strategy games such as Age of Empires and if you dont like them then you can try other video game types like first person shooter or whatever you find interesting. E-sports can also be a mention.

Within the Civ franchise, both Civ3 (Conquests) and Civ4 (BTS, especially with this community's BUG mod) provide AI opponents who know how to play and win the game. When an AI gets a good starting location, they will grow both wide and tall as well as invade their neighbors.

Both of those games do not have units that embark. The player (human or AI) will need to build cargo ships, load your units onto them, and sail to the place you want to invade. Both of those games have fewer choices in types of governments. Both of those games feature sliders to allow the player to fine-tune how much of the raw commerce of the empire is allocated to science or culture. And yes, both of those games allow stacks of units on a single tile.

For me, that helps me tell a story in my head. "Grateful for a time of peace, the empire changed its focus to learning, building libraries and universities. Several seasons later, when the Aztecs began massing troops in the east, the leader began training our own brave warriors to repel the invaders." Civ4 BTS in particular gives more details about why a particular leader does not like you, which helps my storytelling.

Best of all, both Civ3 and Civ4 are very inexpensive, through Steam. And both have extensive forums here on CivFanatics with experienced players willing to answer questions.

Top Bottom