What If God Was Real And Manifested Proving It?

The thread isn't a general discussion of religion in the first place, of course. It's about whether a god can prove they are god (a useful tangent being on whether a human could prove x is by a god and not induced by other means) - as reacting to the OP's hypothetical where they would do that ^^
Indeed, and while the premise was challenged in the very first post and thereafter, no attempt was even made to provide evidence. Which is consistent with my experience talking to people of faith my entire life. My sense is that faith isn't about evidence. I even wonder if faith might be mutually exclusive of evidence. I mean, if a god were to provide evidence of their own existence that we could interrogate and verify and catalogue and understand in a scientific sense, would they really be a god at all? They'd be some kind of being, likely an extraterrestrial, but possibly a terrestrial being who's chosen to evade us all this time. And the concept of "proof" was introduced in the very title of this thread, so we're not being unduly skeptical when we ask for some, we're engaging with the topic as presented. :dunno:

statements like, "I think you guys are too savage; I could get killed due to a disagreement.
Correction: didn't say "you guys", in US the govt says you can't use weed but that doesn't mean the people are in support.

It's just the fact that I'm at the "wrong" group that made it like this
I never said you're in the wrong group

And I guess you're right, there's likely no fruit there. He's too old to crack open the window. ;)
Are we at a movie theater cause I swear I see a projector 📽️

The kind we know today in the USA was a literal designed cultural export by the Meiji government for the purpose of impressing modern American sensibilities
Good to know your audience but there are lots of flavors available

Interesting to think about the issue of interpretation.

Reading a book now on the 8fold path and the way it's presented is a lot more inspirating the the standard way you hear over and over.

Instead of
Right view and Right thought it's
Perfect vision and perfect emotion

Also more inspiration but less 15 minutes of meditation and then back to your desk @ Microsoft.

Meditation isn't supposed to be about being stronger, faster, more productive, it's supposed to be about awakening but a society full of arhants wouldn't be good for the economy

Last edited:
Oh, I'm definitely old I figure. It's fun, when your mom notes you've aged a decade in about 2 years. :lol:

Still like the windows open, though. Probably too old to mix it up and shut them!

It's quite sad that you feel that way as I really like you as a person and I'm religious myself, but it's important to consider that many people find the tendency of some atheists to place themselves on a high pedestal and perceive religion as a trouble-maker equally distasteful. They question why people kill each other in the name of God, but what I mostly see is people being killed for resources, xenophobia/racism, nationalism, and even ideology like democracy or communism, those are reek from blood and genocide. People talk about how religion is spread by the sword, but secular Democracy is also globally installed through guns and bullets, bombing people back to the Stone Age because they think they know better how to a country.

I mean there are layers and perspectives to consider. But lets just leave it as that.

Do many atheists, in your view, place themselves on a high pedestal? I've heard that some people think this is what Richard Dawkins has done, but regular people?

When you say "kill each other in the name of God", my first thought tends to be about the Crusades - the idea of sending "good Christians" to the Holy Land to take it back. What kids tend not to be taught about that is that some of the people going on crusade are 3rd and 4th sons (or more) who didn't have much opportunity at home for inheriting anything, so the crusade was an opportunity to acquire something - money, treasure, rank, and property (providing everything went well for them and they weren't killed on the way through sickness, starvation, dehydration, annoying the locals of the lands they passed through, etc.). I suppose some of the crusaders really did think they were doing it in the name of religion, but many of them were doing it for personal advancement and to acquire land - resources, in other words.

Ditto the Europeans in North America. Missionaries claimed to be 'saving souls' while the soldiers and merchants stripped the land of everything they could carry off, including some of the people.

Like I said it's cultural not religious individuals I have a problem with.

Like in the United States without Christianity as a cultural force we would be far ahead of where we are now. But some individual lady who quietly reads her bible is no problem.

I have no problem if people have different beliefs than me but when they try to push for special privileges or think society should be influenced by their ideas things become problematic.

A Muslim majority country, all good. A Muslim theocracy I wouldn't want to even visit (would you?)

I imagine most atheists like that probably come from a background of religious oppression or abuse from their families which they are reacting to.

I was forced to attend church until age 13 but I never was told I was going to hell or anything like that, it was more a tradition in the family.

I did goto a crazy boarding school for a time where they would berate us as sinners and addicts and tried to force everyone to go to AA type groups.

Adamant atheists are kinda like vegan fanatics they tend to push away support rather than garner it.

'Adamant atheists'... many years ago I belonged to a Yahoo group called "Real World Atheism". It was okay for awhile, but when some of them started talking about burning churches and told me I wasn't a real atheist if I didn't agree that this was a good idea, I left the group. That's not a group that discusses things rationally. It was morphing into a hate group, and I want no part of that.

What exactly is a Muslim theocracy? Are the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Brunei examples of Muslim theocracies? I mean, I should ask myself why I wouldn't want to visit these places. Or is it the Afghanistan? A country that's been embroiled in wars against major players since the 1800s (from the Great Games) till today, always shifting from one instability to another and never getting a chance for statecraft or to form their own government over such a long period of time can be intimidating to visit. However, I find it far less horrifying than the prospect of visiting atheist North Korea, which also feels isolated in a way, albeit not as much as Afghanistan.

People project their expectations onto their children in so many ways, and it doesn't have to be related to religion. Children in South Korea, Japan, China, and even Singapore also suffer due to rigid schedules and high competition among their peers, which are mainly instigated and rooted in their households. I have a Chinese friend who has had a heart problem since he was in high school due to his parents enforcing a strict study schedule, which consisted of studying at school followed by a marathon study session at home with a private teacher till night all weekdays, and video-games only at weeked, then boom heart-problem and there are many atheistic household like this as well.

It might be that understanding that there are things more valuable in this world than material gain and material success can have a positive impact on people. Learning that there are certain things that are beyond our control can also make us less obsessed and ambitious about ourselves and children. The perspective might differ if you think that you only live once and you must either succeed in becoming what you want now or your life will be or is a disappointment.

I just looked up the definition of "theocracy" and the two most common are that a country is ruled/governed by religious leader(s) and/or the country is ruled/governed by a deity(ies) through human intermediaries. There are places in the world that are theocracies. There are places in the world that are not theocracies, but where there are people (both politicians and regular citizens) who are actively attempting to turn them into theocracies.

But some visitors just don't get it because that's not how they conduct themselves in the West. This makes me wonder if they also walk around topless in the West. Many people, as well as the Indonesian government, mostly blame the Russians for these actions, while the person who stormed the festival was a German, and the one who refused to stay silent during Nyepi, as far as I know, was Italian, but ofc Russian is easier target.
Yes, people walk around topless in the West, though usually only where it's appropriate (ie. beaches, pools, backyard, etc. It's a way to cope with heat, although there are some people who still think tanning is a good idea. There are places where women can be topless (if memory serves, it's legal in BC and Ontario and if a woman is breastfeeding).

That said: There are places with signs up saying, "No shirt, no shoes, no service". Going shirtless on public transit is frowned on (not sure if it's against the bylaws).

And atheists know religion better than people who take it religiously?
Seems there's this guy on the forum here, you might have heard of him. He identifies as not-a-believer/not religious, yet he's started no fewer than FIVE well-used "Ask a Theologian" threads, and tends to be the go-to person for a lot of questions. He's been active lately in the "When was Jesus born?" thread in the World History forum.

I am, of course, referring to Plotinus.

In US socio-political discourse, you may hear the terms "melting pot" and "salad bowl." The assimilationist position is the melting pot, where the myriad ingredients blend together and become indistinguishable from one another. The integrationist model is the salad bowl, where the ingredients retain their individual form and flavor, but work together toward the whole.
I haven't heard the term "salad bowl" before. In Canada we call it the "Canadian mosaic".

but I have to admit that I gained a whole new appreciation for the stereotypes about American tourists when I traveled to other countries and saw them in the flesh, with my own eyes.
Have you ever watched "The Amazing Race"? There have been a few teams on that show who displayed some remarkably boorish behavior and would rant loudly if someone who spoke English didn't immediately run up to them and offer to help them with directions. The show's host sees the footage from their races as they go along, and was definitely not pleased at how they behaved.

Do many atheists, in your view, place themselves on a high pedestal? I've heard that some people think this is what Richard Dawkins has done, but regular people?

When you say "kill each other in the name of God", my first thought tends to be about the Crusades - the idea of sending "good Christians" to the Holy Land to take it back. What kids tend not to be taught about that is that some of the people going on crusade are 3rd and 4th sons (or more) who didn't have much opportunity at home for inheriting anything, so the crusade was an opportunity to acquire something - money, treasure, rank, and property (providing everything went well for them and they weren't killed on the way through sickness, starvation, dehydration, annoying the locals of the lands they passed through, etc.). I suppose some of the crusaders really did think they were doing it in the name of religion, but many of them were doing it for personal advancement and to acquire land - resources, in other words.

Ditto the Europeans in North America. Missionaries claimed to be 'saving souls' while the soldiers and merchants stripped the land of everything they could carry off, including some of the people.

'Adamant atheists'... many years ago I belonged to a Yahoo group called "Real World Atheism". It was okay for awhile, but when some of them started talking about burning churches and told me I wasn't a real atheist if I didn't agree that this was a good idea, I left the group. That's not a group that discusses things rationally. It was morphing into a hate group, and I want no part of that.

I just looked up the definition of "theocracy" and the two most common are that a country is ruled/governed by religious leader(s) and/or the country is ruled/governed by a deity(ies) through human intermediaries. There are places in the world that are theocracies. There are places in the world that are not theocracies, but where there are people (both politicians and regular citizens) who are actively attempting to turn them into theocracies.

Yes, people walk around topless in the West, though usually only where it's appropriate (ie. beaches, pools, backyard, etc. It's a way to cope with heat, although there are some people who still think tanning is a good idea. There are places where women can be topless (if memory serves, it's legal in BC and Ontario and if a woman is breastfeeding).

That said: There are places with signs up saying, "No shirt, no shoes, no service". Going shirtless on public transit is frowned on (not sure if it's against the bylaws).

Seems there's this guy on the forum here, you might have heard of him. He identifies as not-a-believer/not religious, yet he's started no fewer than FIVE well-used "Ask a Theologian" threads, and tends to be the go-to person for a lot of questions. He's been active lately in the "When was Jesus born?" thread in the World History forum.

I am, of course, referring to Plotinus.

I haven't heard the term "salad bowl" before. In Canada we call it the "Canadian mosaic".

Have you ever watched "The Amazing Race"? There have been a few teams on that show who displayed some remarkably boorish behavior and would rant loudly if someone who spoke English didn't immediately run up to them and offer to help them with directions. The show's host sees the footage from their races as they go along, and was definitely not pleased at how they behaved.

Don't generally see naked people here. Occasional drink or at the beach.

No shirt, no shoes no service signs don't exist though. You'll see people barefoot in supermarkets for example.

The rule isn't for everyone within the population, and it's not directed to you for most part I think you're still respectful.

Of course, different people have different views, stances, isms – it's only natural that we think our stance is the right one.

Let us imagine for a while, there is a house, in this house there are four tenants: an Atheist, a Muslim, a Jew, and a Christian. They all have unique and different views regarding Jesus. The Christian thinks that He is God, the Muslim thinks that He is God's Messenger, while the Jew thinks He is a fraud, and the Atheist thinks Jesus doesn't even exist (for instance, this particular atheist only). We can't say that they are all equally right, but we also can't say they are all equally wrong. Out of all these different views, only one can be right. In order for them to live harmoniously, they shouldn't talk about Jesus when it's not necessary – like to pander about it on every available occasion. When they do so, they should understand or at least tolerate the others' views, no matter how silly it sounds to them, because their views sound equally silly to the rest. When they need to talk, they may disagree in a good manner so they can expect or demand a good manner in return, and they should be ready to leave the conversation in disagreement and continue their lives until one day time will reveal who is right.

If the Atheist thinks, "they would be better roommates if they just stop insisting on a mythical figure called Jesus," then that will be the start of the problem. We can't even unify three heads under our view, let alone billions, and whatever investment is funded on Huntington's cause will end up wasted anyway.

I mean, if we are so secure of our view we don't need others' validation as well.

For the existence of God.
The thread did have some debate on-topic, and I found it interesting. For example, Plotinus (among other points he made) mentioned that one way which might be useful in going about it is to note that the existence of a god might be tied to experiences attributed to a god, even increasing the possibility that they happen. Of course the problem with that is "god" already is a known idea, and attribution to the idea doesn't require the idea being of something real. Furthermore, an experience is only known to exist itself, not to be due to something just because it was nominally (eg in the mind of the person having the experience) linked to that something. Descartes claimed that one can't be wrong if they are sure they are right, because the benevolent god makes that impossible - but clearly this is in no way related to a god; it has to do with dynamics of the thinker's world of thought.
My main issue with gods is that it seems impossible for anyone to prove anything in their inner world is not due to their inner world but something external. It also seems highly suspicious to be of the view it is external, when you are unaware of the complexity of your own mind. Perhaps it is not too reductive to use this analogy: you live in a vast castle, but only spend time in one hundred out of the many thousands of rooms. One night, you hear a strange sound but can't trace it to your hundred known rooms. So you go on to believe it must have come from outside, beyond the battlements, beyond the moat, and soon imagine empires past the mountains that seek you and announced their presence.

Let us imagine for a while, there is a house, in this house there are four tenants: an Atheist, a Muslim, a Jew, and a Christian. They all have unique and different views regarding Jesus. The Christian thinks that He is God, the Muslim thinks that He is God's Messenger, while the Jew thinks He is a fraud, and the Atheist thinks Jesus doesn't even exist (for instance, this particular atheist only). We can't say that they are all equally right, but we also can't say they are all equally wrong. Out of all these different views, only one can be right. In order for them to live harmoniously, they shouldn't talk about Jesus when it's not necessary – like to pander about it on every available occasion. When they do so, they should understand or at least tolerate the others' views, no matter how silly it sounds to them, because their views sound equally silly to the rest. When they need to talk, they may disagree in a good manner so they can expect or demand a good manner in return, and they should be ready to leave the conversation in disagreement and continue their lives until one day time will reveal who is right.
A nice metaphor. "We can't say they are all equally right, but we also can't say they are all equally wrong" is perhaps a way to sum up 'freedom of religion.' "They shouldn't take about Jesus when it's not necessary" could perhaps be called 'secularism.' For instance, when the roommates have to agree how to pay the bills and make a schedule for doing chores around the house.
If the Atheist thinks, "they would be better roommates if they just stop insisting on a mythical figure called Jesus," then that will be the start of the problem. We can't even unify three heads under our view, let alone billions, and whatever investment is funded on Huntington's cause will end up wasted anyway.
I'm not sure you meant 'insisting' here, but it's funny/interesting that you used that word, because here they frequently do insist. Which is the problem. They won't stop insisting.
I mean, if we are so secure of our view we don't need others' validation as well.
You would think that, wouldn't you? I would agree. Unfortunately, proselytizing is a core component of many Christian churches (to my knowledge, no other big religions are so aggressive, but maybe I'm forgetting something). The benign ones merely try to put up a flag or post advertisements for their churches. Others push religious dogma into school curricula and public policy, both domestic and foreign.

The rule isn't for everyone within the population, and it's not directed to you for most part I think you're still respectful.

Of course, different people have different views, stances, isms – it's only natural that we think our stance is the right one.

My own deal-breaking criteria for roommates would be smoking and cats. As in I'm deathly allergic to smoke and I will not subject Maddy (or any other cat) to living with people who don't like cats. Other than that... don't proselytize. Of the people in this hypothetical situation, it's the Christian who would be most likely to annoy me, unless the Muslim tells me to cover up for modesty's sake. Not that I don't dress modestly anyway, but been there, done that with the kerchief-wearing, it's my choice to wear one or not (it's not only Muslim women who have this issue; it was a social norm in the '60s here).

I'm not sure you meant 'insisting' here, but it's funny/interesting that you used that word, because here they frequently do insist. Which is the problem. They won't stop insisting.
It can be apply to any of them, it's a metaphor not specifically built to cornered atheist perhaps I delivered it poorly. Let's just use Muslim as example so peoples would not think that I specifically talk about specific group in this metaphor "If only they all testify that Jesus is God's Messenger, I will be much more happier living in this apartment, I should find a way how to educate these oblivious peoples the truth, gosh, how can they be this foolish! uggggh!"

I have all the symptoms of aging except I also have the acne of a 14yo boy
Probably not the most fun way of staying young.

If I remember right, your hairline is still pretty epic!

It can be apply to any of them, it's a metaphor not specifically built to cornered atheist perhaps I delivered it poorly. Let's just use Muslim as example so peoples would not think that I specifically talk about specific group in this metaphor "If only they all testify that Jesus is God's Messenger, I will be much more happier living in this apartment, I should find a way how to educate these oblivious peoples the truth, gosh, how can they be this foolish! uggggh!"
More likely to run into problems like when one of them is inconvenienced by a request to make space a few times a day for prayer, or for somebody not to get wasted in the house?

More likely to run into problems like when one of them is inconvenienced by a request to make space a few times a day for prayer, or for somebody not to get wasted in the house?
My room-mate was a catholic in University for like 5 years, he's praying before eating aside of that he went to church every Sunday, and there were times in the first 1-2 years where we drink and get drunk together as well, well after I become practicing Muslims nothings change except the drinking part at home, and he pretty much stayed with me for another 3 years till he quit the Uni and start working in Cruise Ship. We are close and we don't talk crap about each other religion, heck peoples from any kind of religion/atheist (mostly from leftist organization LMND) visit my house in Uni there were times where it was some sort of a basecamp, because of my early activism.

My bad I was leaving my +1.5 glasses at the bathroom and too lazy to take it, now that I have it I can read much more conveniently and less foggy.
You would think that, wouldn't you? I would agree. Unfortunately, proselytizing is a core component of many Christian churches (to my knowledge, no other big religions are so aggressive, but maybe I'm forgetting something). The benign ones merely try to put up a flag or post advertisements for their churches. Others push religious dogma into school curricula and public policy, both domestic and foreign.

Yes unfortunately. It is quite intrusive when one feel obligated to "save" others.

My own deal-breaking criteria for roommates would be smoking and cats. As in I'm deathly allergic to smoke and I will not subject Maddy (or any other cat) to living with people who don't like cats. Other than that... don't proselytize. Of the people in this hypothetical situation, it's the Christian who would be most likely to annoy me, unless the Muslim tells me to cover up for modesty's sake. Not that I don't dress modestly anyway, but been there, done that with the kerchief-wearing, it's my choice to wear one or not (it's not only Muslim women who have this issue; it was a social norm in the '60s here).

Valka, they will not force their dress-code, man or woman, unless you come to the place of worship though, at least in Turkey for instance peoples should cover-up, but in Indonesia culturally peoples enter the place of worship either covered or not, but when they worship they covered, male use sarong while female use mukenah. As a man, we should from knee to above, so those who wear short-pant cover it up with sarong that's usually available in the place of worship.

Moderator Action: Please return to topic. Cheers-lymond

Thanks

No, cancel culture as I understand it refers to the practice of boycotting an individual or a group based on their opinions, including private efforts (as opposed to governmental directives) to prevent the target/s from expressing themselves.

As I said, cancel culture refers to a phenomenon/behaviour/trend. It doesn't have authority, per se.

I am not a big fan of cancel culture (and anyway I would hazard to conjecture we have different manifestations of it in mind) but do you not think people have the right to boycott?

Lizzo got canceled in like a day. :O

It’s been about 48 hours since news of pop star Lizzo’s scandals broke wide. She’s being sued by former dancers for misconduct and harassment. Others who worked with her are backing these people up and now more allegations are coming out.

The result is a career collapse for Lizzo. In those two days, her record sales including streaming and airplay have collapsed. Looking at numbers from Luminate, the trends have not just fallen but evaporated. It’s as if every radio has pulled Lizzo’s hits. Fans stopped streaming the records, and forget about buying them or downloading them.

This kind of thing is rare and scary. Lizzo is going to need to a massive defense and a PR campaign no one’s ever seen before. The timing couldn’t be worse because the union strikes have stopped the talk shows she might have gone on to explain or defend herself. Lizzo’s only recourse, I guess, would be a People magazine cover story. But even that is dicey at this point.

I'm not really sure where mercy and forgiveness come into the equation with public figures.

They are so rich and powerful, anything less than career death does not get their attention or an urge to profusely apologize.

Social media makes it a lot easier to boycott things for sure.

Spiritually speaking, a person who does bad things is gradually a bad person right?

Know the tree by its fruit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom