‘Obesity tourism’ is Mugabe’s answer to feeding Zimbabwe

Riesstiu IV

Deity
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-524-1378517,00.html

ZIMBABWE has come up with a bizarre proposal to solve the food crisis threatening half its population with starvation. It wants to bring in obese tourists from overseas so that they can shed pounds doing manual labour on land seized from white farmers.

The so-called Obesity Tourism Strategy was reported last week in The Herald, a government organ whose contents are approved by President Robert Mugabe’s powerful information minister, Jonathan Moyo.

Pointing out that more than 1.2 billion people worldwide are officially deemed to be overweight, the article exhorted Zimbabweans to “tap this potential”.

“Tourists can provide labour for farms in the hope of shedding weight while enjoying the tourism experience,” it said, adding that Americans spent $6 billion a year on “useless” dieting aids.

“Tour organisers may promote this programme internationally and bring in tourists, while agriculturalists can employ the tourists as free farm labour.

“The tourists can then top it all by flaunting their slim bodies on a sun-downer cruise on the Zambezi or surveying the majestic Great Zimbabwe ruins.”

(See link above for rest of article)

Wow. Just... Wow. Mugabe has to be the worst African leader ever. His reforms and ideas are so absurd and delusional, its a wonder people ever supported him in the first place.

Next idea for helping his starvation problem: a Giant disc in space which will focus light on zimbabwe alone, amplifying the power of the sun to FEED THE PEOPLE!

If the idea didn't require the submission of the obese to slave-like conditions, then it would actually be efficient as it could kill two birds with one stone. It goes without saying that this will fail. He needs to support a free-market in agriculture, where the government's role is to buy up land and redistribute it by selling it in large chunks to individual farmers who have been productive, while also selling them modern farm equipment, thereby increasing total productivity and agricultural output.

Can't he just ask obese people to bring food as the entrance fee to play with Zimbabwe children?

Well, at least the people of Zimbabwe are no longer suffering under the hoof of British tyranny...

1.2 billion obese.....!!! Where does this guy get his stats from? Donald Rumsfeld??;)

Obesity tourism?? Obese tourists will just pop pills which will give them heart attacks before they go anywhere near Zimbabwe:rolleyes:

allhailIndia said:
1.2 billion obese.....!!! Where does this guy get his stats from? Donald Rumsfeld??;)
:confused:

Pointing out that more than 1.2 billion people worldwide are officially deemed to be overweight,
There are fully 5 BMI points difference between overweight and obese, I think that translates to around 20 pounds difference.

:blush: my mistake..should have known better...Dad's a diabetologist..Got a bit mislead by the title of the article...

diabetologist? right on. :goodjob: Tell him he does good work. My daddy thanks him.

This guy is funny, it would be fascinating to read a book on what he has done, it would be a comedy!

Now, if only this wasn't for real . . .

SeleucusNicator said:
Well, at least the people of Zimbabwe are no longer suffering under the hoof of British tyranny...

From "British tyranny" to Mugabe's tyranny.
I think it has gotten worse for the people. Taking land from white farmers (who knew farming) and giving it to 'war veterans' (who know nothing about farming) is a recipe for disaster.
Other than Mugabe and his armed cronies, i doubt the average Zimbabwean would feel things have gotten better.
The economy is going from ok, to bad, to worse.

SeleucusNicator said:
You're on the wrong side, as ussual. One of Mugabbe's quests is to kill all white people.

Also, I think he was Britain's ally during South African appartheit.

Perfection said:
Man we gotta get Kim Jong Il and Robert Mugabe together, the results would be hilarious!

I would add Bush :goodjob:

FriendlyFire said:
I would add Bush :goodjob:

Oh how I wish Bush would have lost, I have no idea how Im going to survive four more years of these posts......

Jude said:
Taking land from white farmers (who knew farming) and giving it to 'war veterans' (who know nothing about farming) is a recipe for disaster.
I didn't know they were given to war veterans. From the footage I have seen, the farms were productive businesses employing the local population as labour.

Wealthy white owners were forced off their land, losing their life's savings. Pretty much ended up dead or homeless.

Farms were taken over by less-educated locals, who looted everything worth having. They didn't know the first thing about agriculture and pretty much cut down any already growing crops to make open-space. They didn't plant anything new. Just turned thriving businesses into desolate waste land.

I don't know if it has improved any since then, but given the food crisis, it seems unlikely.

Mugabe is in fact black racist ;) I don't get how the British could let him to do his small ethnic cleansing of white farmers (who were in fact producing majority of food in Zimbabwe). I guess it would take only few SAS guys to kill him and install some better government...

Winner said:
Mugabe is in fact black racist ;) I don't get how the British could let him to do his small ethnic cleansing of white farmers (who were in fact producing majority of food in Zimbabwe). I guess it would take only few SAS guys to kill him and install some better government...
There would be an international outcry if anyone invaded without UN permission. Zimbabwe is simply not Britain's responsibility.

The commonwealth attempted economic sanctions to undermine Muggabe's authority but they don't do anything else. The Commonwealth's security council banned Zimbabwe. UK and most other members openly oppose Muggabe and have blacklisted Zimbabwe.

What has the UN done?

Top Bottom