New Job Openings at Firaxis

Mr. Do said:
If Firaxis do look at peoples' posts in this thread Sarevok, you are sabotaging your own future chances of ever working for them by making posts like that. It may have been justified, but I don't think many companies would be that eager to hire someone who'd (even jokingly) threaten to chop someone's head off if they don't like them.

IMHO, that's ininfluent on his future chances (as I said, he could be the kindest of the persons, in real life).

I think that as the creator of the greatest user made WW scenarios, he deserves respect.

I think we should stop feeling offended and stop generating flames (in which I hope I won't get involved again)

Rhye said:
IMHO, that's ininfluent on his future chances (as I said, he could be the kindest of the persons, in real life).
As Warpstorm said, it does matter what you do on here. He knows the Firaxians personally and they brought those kinds of things up with him. So to say it doesn't matter is incorrect. :p

I found that exchange quite amusing actually. Please continue...I have popcorn cooking in the microwave now........lol

Oh, and Serevok, er, Serevok, the main villain in the first Baldur's Gate game didn't have a Katana, he had that giant 2-Handed Deathbringer Chaos Blade....mhahahaha!

As Serevok routinely says in Throne of Bhaal....death comes for you...FEEL ITS ICY GRIP!!! Mhahahahahaha!

Man I wish Black Isle Studios didn't collapse.

The level of energy you see here, makes me wonder if Firaxis had of offered prizes for top 5 scenarios, maps, mods, units etc, how much harder people might have worked!
Not talking money either – just something like that Leather Jacket at the Civ online store!
http://store.civ3.com/
Maybe grand prize could be them all! :drool:

Hey, I got an idea on how to better your chances of getting a job at Firaxis – BUY ALL THEIR GEAR! Walk into the interview, totally decked out, leather jacket, cap, shirt – definitely would make an impression –no? :mischief:

Damn, TET, I shoulda thought of that.

You have to show support, let them know you are so into Civ, that you breath it, live it and WEAR it!! :p

Just go into the interview dressed like this ;)
Come on everybody lighten up! :)

Attachments

• prod_leatherjacket.gif
    prod_leatherjacket.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 213
Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I found that exchange quite amusing actually. Please continue...I have popcorn cooking in the microwave now........lol

Oh, and Serevok, er, Serevok, the main villain in the first Baldur's Gate game didn't have a Katana, he had that giant 2-Handed Deathbringer Chaos Blade....mhahahaha!

As Serevok routinely says in Throne of Bhaal....death comes for you...FEEL ITS ICY GRIP!!! Mhahahahahaha!

Man I wish Black Isle Studios didn't collapse.
Katana just sounds better... :lol: But its unfortunate that it did collapse... Probably the best RPG group to exist...

I think that as the creator of the greatest user made WW scenarios, he deserves respect.

I think we should stop feeling offended and stop generating flames (in which I hope I won't get involved again)

Sadly in this kind of competitive enviroment, nobody is so naive to just put away their flamethrower. It would be nice... but sadly Im afraid it wont happen.

However, you bring up another point. If posts here are truly influential on people's chances to get this job, I know full well that if they do not want someone who does not like people who have a temper, ive burned my chances out several times over. Still, I dont care. I do not need to be part of a company to make stuff for the community. Perhaps it is better not to be part of a company, as then you are not chained to do this or that but you are able to create what you want, when you want. The only real benefit to it is that it is guaranteed that everyone who gets the game will be able to see what you have done, though they may not be able to figure out just who exactly you are.

If Firaxis do look at peoples' posts in this thread Sarevok, you are sabotaging your own future chances of ever working for them by making posts like that. It may have been justified, but I don't think many companies would be that eager to hire someone who'd (even jokingly) threaten to chop someone's head off if they don't like them.

I dont need to work for the company to make scenarios do I? My future is in history, not in some gaming company. Also, I dont care if people dont like me because im used to it. Id say the vast majority of people in this thread do not, and are just trying to contain themselves from calling me offensive terms. It is when they crack, unable to handle my prescence anymore that they make DL's to slam me as they are too cowardly to do it themselves. As was said in The Prince "[People] do not like you either because they fear you, or because they hate you." Ill let people come to their own conclusions about that.

I can imagine an interview with you in it...
"Sorry Mr. Sarevok but we don't think you're qualified for this role."
"I'm not qualified?! I think you'll find the intarweb disagrees with you, you idiot. You need a lesson in humility, foolish mortal!"
"Okay, whatever. This is why we don't hire 12 year olds."

If you are trying to amuse me... keep it up.

Im a week away from 17, and such statements make me sound like Im still a fool. I have been called vastly beyond my age in terms of knowledge and maturity in my real life. It is here I get to screw around and do what I choose. I dont take jokes anymore though, I have long since lost the impression that the world is a bright place full of good things.

These kinds of statements remind me yet again that I am one of the most misunderstood people at CFC, though I will not pretend much of that is my own effort.

Sarevok said:
Perhaps it is better not to be part of a company, as then you are not chained to do this or that but you are able to create what you want, when you want.

Well, when you work for the company you do what your boss wants you to do. This is not to say that you don't have creative license, just that you may very well be overruled and have to suck it up and do what you are being paid to do. You may be told to work on a scenario in an era or a style that you don't care for and have it done by a certain date. You do it.

The only real benefit to it is that it is guaranteed that everyone who gets the game will be able to see what you have done, though they may not be able to figure out just who exactly you are.

That's not the only real benefit. You will get to work with some truly impressive and dedicated people. You'll get to hang out with them too and play games with them. You'll have artists, animators, and programmers willing to build the stuff you need for your scenarios. You may get to influence the development of future titles. And there's that paycheck thing...

warpstorm said:
Well, when you work for the company you do what your boss wants you to do. This is not to say that you don't have creative license, just that you may very well be overruled and have to suck it up and do what you are being paid to do. You may be told to work on a scenario in an era or a style that you don't care for and have it done by a certain date. You do it.

That's not the only real benefit. You will get to work with some truly impressive and dedicated people. You'll get to hang out with them too and play games with them. You'll have artists, animators, and programmers willing to build the stuff you need for your scenarios. You may get to influence the development of future titles. And there's that paycheck thing...
Still, Im thinking now that it isnt worth it.

Speaking of flamethrowers...

I dont know, flamethrowers are cool! ;p

Anyway, Rhye kicks butt and I personally think that he deserves this job.

I have played a TON of the scenarios on here, and the mods, and frankly many of them are amazing. Tet, Sarevok, Loulong (I am not going in-depth, but those are the creators of my favorites) are all incredible at this kind of stuff.

But Rhye, you see, he did something really crazy: he made a mod thats so much better than the original game that people join this site just to tell him that.

He made a mod so excellent that you cannot ever return to the original game.

He made a mod so great that every single bit of it is as thorough as the original game.

I did not want to support someone on this thread because I figured it would turn into something like what has been happenng above, and also because I loathe making judgements like this.

Its not always fair to other people. But I made an exception in this case.

So maybe what I type does not matter at all. Maybe I do not have an impressive list of personal creations or thousands of posts. But I do know what an excellent piece of work looks like: Rhye's of Civilization.

Besides that, perhaps none of you has noticed that Rhye has a dedicated fan club at this point. Its hard to get such a dedicated group of assistants without being a great guy... which he is, without a doubt. Some of us have been posting on his two hundred page monster thread since its beginning simply out of loyalty to him!

Anyway, I just wanted to make it clear how much I appreciate his masterpiece, and how much I think he deserves this job.

Ok guys, flame on!

PS: Rhye's thread has 4150 posts, started in February of this year... thats pretty much it in terms of size.

Besides, who cares. Life is like a box of mousetraps with bits of Belgian chocolate: it hurts, but its sooooo goood! ;p

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Well, I certainly don't dislike you, this is the only thread I've talked with you on. Dislike for me is earned, not automatic. So far your not even close to that catagory Sarevok
good :) something positive is in this thread.

Dr.Beetnuts said:
Who the hell do you think you are?

It's exactly this kind of unchecked egotism and immaturity that no industry professionals hire minors. You threaten Firaxis with a "rude surprise" if they, God forbid, hire an applicant without your blessing, as if you were the pope. Get a grip on the real world, son; you won't even get a job at McDonald's with that kind of attitude. A good portion of the guys posting here, yourself included, sound about half a PhD away from a future Derek Smart.

Ageist troll. :rolleyes:

Um, Ladies & Gents, I haven't read this entire thread, but it seems the Civ franchise has been SOLD:

"There was a surprising revelation in Infogrames' first half 2004-05 financial results, as it seems to have sold off Firaxis' Civilization franchise for 15.5 million euros (approx. $20.5 million USD) to a yet-undisclosed buyer.

Infogrames, who owns Atari, has not made any official statement yet, and has thus far declined to comment saying it is up to the buyer of the franchise to announce the acquisition."

--From Gamespy 11/24/04 http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/civilization-iv/568764p1.html

-Oz

Trip said:
Old news. ;)

I'm not surprised :) ... New to me however.

And so what? :)

Wouldn't someone reading this thread hypothetically want to work for Firaxis working on Civ? :confused:

-Oz

Firaxis is still working on Civ IV.

The only thing that will change is who owns the rights to the game (that is, who calls the shots) and who will publish the game (almost certainly not Atari now).

Top Bottom