Which Civ would you like in Colonization?

Which civs do you wish were in Colonization?

• Portugal

Votes: 216 75.3%
  • Sweden

Votes: 67 23.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 70 24.4%
  • China

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • Venice

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Arabs

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Vikings

Votes: 62 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 47 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because you asked nicely :D ;)

Portugal, Denmark-Norway and Sweden. Perhaps some german state (not HRE). Ottomans would be interesting addition but would be lot of work to implement with their different culture and religion. Western christian kings would pay to have the infidels destroyed tought :p

Problem with adding russia is that they could in theory started colonisation early in 18th centrury at the earliest.

Always wondered why Portugal were never in Colonization meself.

The early clinker built caravels with tar , moss , roves and tree nails have almost vanished into history.

Voted for All except for Holy Rome. They never colonized the world

I also voted for other because of this, This, and this

Germany did colonize as well, but it was Brandenburg and later united Germany not Holy Rome.

Also why did you include the Arabs? If there in, then you might as well include Polynesia as well. (which wouldn't be a bad idea actually).

Wow. I never knew Scotland tried to found a colony in Nova Scotia.

Though it does seem somewhat obvious now (Nova Scotia=New Scotland).

Portugal. They did colonize quite a lot of the New World. ;)

The original misses Portugal as a great colonial power.

If colonization were to extend further in time, say up to 1800's then I'd be happy to see Russia, coming from the East and perhaps some German settlers too (Danish, Scotts, Irish and other opressed people incl. ;) )

Always wondered why Portugal were never in Colonization meself.

Because Colonization focussed chiefly on North American colonization, and Portugal played no real part in it. Their New World colonies were all in South America.

Wow. I never knew Scotland tried to found a colony in Nova Scotia.

Though it does seem somewhat obvious now (Nova Scotia=New Scotland).

Scotland and England were united under the same king, so it was actually a British colony, just like New England.

I think all of the civs which were powerful in Renaissance times would be good, for alternative history and replayability purposes. Some countries such as China probably could have colonised America and competed with the Europeans, they just didn't want to for some reason.
Two civs I'm not sure about: Arabs and Vikings. I voted for Arabs, but then I thought that perhaps they shouldn't be in because they weren't that powerful by the Renaissance era, but other Muslim countries such as Mali were still quite rich. As for Vikings, although they did set up some colonies in America, they were much earlier than the rest of the other colonies and died out just as the other European colonies were starting off. Either they would be really weak and primitive in the game and have no chance of winning, or there would be silly anachronistic units combining horned helmets and beards with rifles and brightly-coloured coats.

Playing as Russians would make a completely different feeling of Colonization:

Landing on the west coast, co-operating with the natives, not meeting fellow Europeans for a short period...

I'd go for it!

Spain, England, France and the Dutch.

Because if the Col designers didn't expand the number of playable civilizations, they probably have a very good reason for doing so.

Böle;6979713 said:
Playing as Russians would make a completely different feeling of Colonization:

Landing on the west coast, co-operating with the natives, not meeting fellow Europeans for a short period...

I'd go for it!

The problem with Russia is that if left with no real competition for land they would likely win every game.

As such you'd also have to simulate that to support their Alaskan colony, they had to move across Asia - which itself was in the process of being colonised. Furthermore you'd also have to simulate that each winter Russia often only had limited access to the ocean as it's ports were often frozen over.

I suspect you'd have to have very limited cross production (influencing the number of colonists that are spawned), and perhaps have to pay a mark-up for training/recruiting colonists and would also have to pay transportation taxes on goods sold in 'Europe' to represent the need to shift them from Russia's Asian coast to Europe.

Well this game is going to be mod-able, just like the regular Civ 4, so we'll probably see most, if not all of these civilizations within a few months after release.

Top Bottom