SGOTM 10 - Unusual Suspects

I haven't read through XTeam's thread, but I remember enjoying their great analysis from previous games. I wish they'd write a summary to save me some time digging through the saves and replay logs...there's still things to learn about this game. It takes practice, commitment and a lot of team effort to get things right, some things we were right about and some were mistakes. That's how it goes I guess, we just have to keep the effort. :) Playing games like GOTM, Immortal university, cookbooks, etc. would be useful too. It helps when you see how other players approached the same game.

All things considering, I think we did fairly well. Although perhaps even surprisingly well, considering all the :smoke: we had. This only show that most teams are having similar problems, these games are pretty tough.

@classical_hero

Yes, these games take a lot of time...If I weren't really eager about the next game, I think I'd took a nice break as well. Sorry for jumping on you a while back, tough day and too much commitment on this crazy game. Take care and have some fun blasting people in MP! :)

Yeah, I think after very long strategy discussions prior to making the first move, we got too attached to the plan (or too tired to rehash the same questions again?). Next time we should be more prepared to chuck out the plan after a short session and take another 200 posts to draw up a new plan from scratch. Next time (assuming I'm not deposed in a coup) I see discussion halted for days at a time I should throw away the entire plan and demand that we come up with a new one from scratch, instead of just assuming that's the best we're gonna come up with.

@Classical_hero: Keep having fun! I'm sure our paths will cross from time to time. Take care.

Next time (assuming I'm not deposed in a coup) I see discussion halted for days at a time I should throw away the entire plan and demand that we come up with a new one from scratch, instead of just assuming that's the best we're gonna come up with.

That's the spirit! ;)

'But sir, that's the best we can do...'
'To the Gulags!!! :whipped: '

It must have been fun using all those nukes in the end. It is a shame I could not joined in the fun. Considering that this team is more than likely going to finish third, we did very well. We made some mistakes, but that is the whole point of these games, is to learn from such mistakes. I know that my biggest one was not switching civics during the first GA. :wallbash:

Congratulations on a well-played game, Unusual Suspects!!! Gyathaar created a very challenging game, imo. Thanks for the congrats, Yamps. I enjoyed your high-quality summary of our game, which prompted me respond in kind. :)

In this post I'm not going to respond to any specifc questions from various posters, but I have read them. Instead, I'll just try to give you an idea of how our game went, because I think it may be hard to pick that up from our thread.

The beginning was very difficult. Deciding where to settle and what civics to revolt too. Note that even after deciding to grab what you're calling the Bombay site and settle our capital in place, klarius made this comment:
Well, thinking some more :).
I think we have to admit a suboptimal start already and put our second city on the plains hill where Gandhi's explorer is (if this is still possible - the real Gandhi also prefering iron). It's just in time for the religion distribution. Only our holy city can secure this region against Delhi's culture.
In other words, we had already resigned ourselves to not chooosing the mega-commerce-capital site south of the rice. As it turned out, we hadn't blundered and here is why, imo:
The thing which let me now think about capital in place is the wood. It has by far the most forests and doesn't waste any by settling on one.
Anyway, the first decision was to focus on early research or REX. REX was a huge problem because of the cost of settlers. But we knew Gandhi was in our armpit on T0, so we decided REX _and_ containing Gandhi was paramount. Think about that a minute, and you can see the synergy of those two. There are two ways to speed up REX: whipping and chopping, and you need population growth and workers to do both. So we settled for max food and max chops. Meanwhile, we contained Gandhi by using him as our worker farm.

Running research at 0% for the first fifty turns was a very powerful tool. Early on we used the espionage slider for a few turns to find out what Gandhi was researching (Educ). Later on, after meeting the AIs and realizing that we could get Roosy to Friendly, we assigned our 4ept to him to find out what he was researching. Equally, if not more, useful though, was having the gold to bribe Roosy to war against Mao. Any team that missed this early opportunity was unlikely to catch us, once we slingshot Communism. To me, this was the A No. 1 most important maneuvre of the game for us.
Some observations about the map:
Mao has no coastal city on our ocean :). And probably his third city will also rather grab resources. So he shouldn't be able to get units to us anytime soon. We could consider a phony war.

Diplomacy:
I think we should try for good relations (maybe even friendly) with Roosevelt. We will get up to 6 points for mercantilism (even when it gets available free market might not be worth it).
So I would do OB now. I would also gift him ivory. He has no resources and Mao might just kill him with knights.
Also look every turn if he puts dyes on the market.
We could also consider to declare on Mao :eek:, gift Roosevelt to pleased and have him go after Mao. This action should cost ~200-250 gold currently. Probably a bit too early for them really doing something, but later it will be more expensive.
Of course, there were zillions of other details we did. We built a caravel on around T17 (I forget), etc. etc.

But I think it's important for you to realize that we had given up on the Liberalism slingshot by choosing REX. It wasn't until after we had decided to use our first GP for a golden age, that we even considered it again. At that point (around T45 I think), we were planning to run a golden age so we could quickly make a GS for Education. But then we realized we could trade PP to Roosy (Friendly) for Educ, since we had already invested some 0% beakers into it. We only needed 1t of 100% and he traded. At that point, we realized the AIs wouldn't finish Educ till close to T60 and we could not only be first to Lib (that part was easy), but we could also generate enough GSes with our uber-REXed civ to bulb Astro, double-bulb SciMeth and build an Academy to speed up Lib for REAL slingshot (Communsim or Physics). Physics was very tempting, because then we could still bulb Electricity (pre-Gunpowder). But by then our exploration had revealed stone and we had realized that we could build Kremlin in a turn or two, enabling our civ to save about 6 population when poprushing universities and build Oxford much faster. Also, bulbing Electricity wouldn't help that much because we wanted to balance how fast we bulbed to Fission with how fast we could research to Rocketry.

Kremlin, of course, was also critical to our overall strategy, because it answered the key question of how to build nukes without factories, which answered the key question of whether we could win this game while taking the minimum research path to Fission and Rocketry. The Kremlin was the key to fastest finish, imo. It required only one deviation from the shortest tech path, Communism, which gave us a GSpy for our second golden age and State Property gave us much lower maintenance against the ever-increasing inflation and +10%:hammers: which was huge when poprushing nukes in the end.

After slingshooting Communism, our game became:
  • quickly finishing our cottages in our capital so by ~T100 they would become villages
  • picking (and settling if necessary) a city for Manhatten
  • beelining Fission/Rocketry
  • timing our second golden age so that Fission would be done about 15t before Rocketry, giving us time to build Manhatten
  • containing the AIs (we chose to build an armada of privateers because of the half-priced drydocks for aggressive)
  • avoiding the temptation to build unnecessary buildings and settle unnecessary cities
  • settling any possible cities on the northern landmass to enable our nuke chains
I think I've hit on the most important points. If someone from the team points out other points, I'll return and edit them in here.

Yamps, I would like to also comment on your thought about building a bank. I haven't done any calculations to see if you're right or not, you may well be, but you'd have to include building a market, which we also did not do... ;) But I'm not disputing you, my comment is really this: CRC taught Murky Waters a very painful lesson in the last SGOTM. Murky Waters built a bazooka when all we needed was a pee shooter to win our game. Don't do anything not necessary to fastest finish. No extra builds, no extra techs, no extra cities, nothing. When would our capital build a market and a bank? What would that delay? We spent the entire second half of our game asking such questions over and over and over. Because figuring what's extra is the challenge, of course.

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions anyone might still have.

Nice play, Unusual Suspects! :goodjob:

There's tons of details we could discuss, and yamps and LC have brought up most of them. I would just like to emphasize three decisions that I think is key to MW success.
First: skip all good-to-have builds/actions. Only build things that are really needed. We only built one airship for the end game, although I would have preferred more for map intelligence. Instead I had to rely on the visibility that the nuke provided during the moment of explosion. We built two ships early that where used to block the barbarian invasion force at the SE, so we didn't need to build any defenders in our coastal cities. All those small details together freed up precious hammers.
Second: focus on quick research. Team MW are normally slow on research, but this time, we decided to prioritize the research path over production. Erecting Oxford early, cottaging the capital, generating GS was all part of that.
Third: come up with all kind of tricks based on the mechanics of the game. This is only possible if you know the AI, the code, and the hammers/food/beaker production, things where klarius, ZPV and LC are experts. How long will it take for Gandhi to talk after you declare? What effect does your diplomacy actions have on relations? Exactly how to you micro manage to squeeze out the last nuke? I know that many players/team prefer to play without that kind of knowledge, and I fully understand those who think this way of playing is boring. We love these issues since we all want to learn more about this game.

We will collect all our Pre-Play-Plans and turn set reports eventually to make it easier to follow our game. Please be patient :D

Thanks for taking the time to congratulate us and explain some things about your game.

This has been great fun and very educational game...I hope we do get the chance to play a later era start again for a SGOTM...the challenges that later eras present just make the game more interesting for me.

We settled our first 2 cities like you did iirc from your save, I had a look a couple of days ago. (Moscow 1S from gold and St Pete on spot) In hindsight, the settler that went for gold should have made a twist towards Gandhi.
This is precisely what we did. We were going to settle our capital in place and our second city 1S of the gold. On T2 our settler was already on the desert hill!!! We decided it was more important to fight Gandhi for "Bombay" than risk losing a few turns settling our second city. In fact, Gandhi's settler moved onto the Bombay site in the IT before we settled it... :eek:

---------------------------------------------

I just carefully read the first half dozen pages of the Xteam thread and looked at their saves through T102. I was fascinated by their discussion, reasoning, and how they developed their strategy. I was completely surprised by some of their ideas because I hadn't thought of them at al. On the other hand, I was surprised to see how little they discussed building nukes and Manhatten in their early discussion. That reminds me of GOTMs in which I do a great job of researching really fast, then when I get access to an overwhelming unit, I have no infrastructure to crank them out. Oops. Murky Waters wasn't going to make that mistake. Our entire focus from the beginning was not the fastest way to Rocketry, but the fastest way to 30 nukes. :)

Anyway, at first I assumed that we had a huge advantage having Bombay. Now I am firmly convinced that isn't true. Xteam had a great position settling the way they did (I haven't looked at your saves to compare, btw). I don't see any major advantage for MW. Perhaps even to the contrary, because they were able to control Gandhi's access to his iron and they settled the extremely valuable site to the SW (where we built Manhatten) much earlier. Furthermore, because they allowed Gandhi to settle "Bombay," their southwestern cities didn't have to deal with as much cultural pressure (in our game Gandhi's religion went into Delhi, so it had massive amounts of culture after he built his wonders). We could have built our HE city to the S or to the SW. The overall difference might be a few turns.

In short, Xteam's settling pattern clearly equalized any supposed advantage we had, imo. The real difference in the two games, imo, is 1) they REXed far slower than we did, because they saved their forests for NP, and 2) frankly, the strategy they picked simply didn't have as much synergy with the game characteristics as ours did, imo.

Here's how you can see that:
Xteam's strategy was based on, let's say, a ~3:1 teching ratio of GPs:beakers. Their strategy required a bunch of GPs before they finally 1) researched the unnecessary Biology and 2) built the unnecessary NP, and what for? So they could build lots of GPs in a single city!?! In other words, they poured a massive amount of energy into creating one city as a GP Farm at the expense of REX (because they needed to preserve the forests). Note that they discussed how the Bureau bonus doesn't apply to gp pts, but they rarely (Cactus Pete discussed it, iirc :blush:) compared that with the loss of the bureau bonus by NOT chopping those forests early on.

MW's strategy was based on about a 1:1 teching ratio of GPs:beakers. This strategy allowed us to maximally REX, not only leveraging the uber-high-powered chops, but also allowing us to out-REX any potential neighbors (who knows in advance how fast the AIs will REX, right?) Did you notice that Gyathaar put forests on Gandhi's siiks, thus increasing the chances that Gandhi would make his first settler faster? But the synergy of our strategy goes farther. By REXing, we had more cities developed early to spawn our GPs and build research, as needed, even if we didn't get the slingshot. It wasn't Bombay that gave us our Communism slingshot, it was fast REX and using 4 cities and a golden age to spawn 4 GSes. Xteam's strategy, not Bombay, pre-empted that. REX also combined well with an early Communism (not after Biology), because distance maintenance costs were much less problematic early on, before the inflation started to bite.

The 1:1 tech ratio also synergized much better with the minimal tech path required by the victory condition. This game was all about fast research (Fission+Rocketry), yes, but it was really all about timing (30 nukes). This was the correct timing:

1) Goal 1
Grow, workshop, and pre-chop your Manhatten City
+
bulb Fission​
2) Goal 2
Prepare all cities to produce 30+ nukes in 8t
+
Build 50 knights/rifles
+
research Rocketry​
Building Manhatten with workshops and some chops with only a 35% hammer bonus would take ~15t, so you had to time Goal 2 for 15 turns after Goal 1. After that, you win the game in ~10 turns (unless you're Erkon, in which case you only need 9t :goodjob:).

------------------

Note to Xteam: My apologies for not putting this post in your thread, but I'm responding to Yamps. Not even sure you guys are interested in my opinions... :blush: Yes, especially you, Fredericksburg.... Respect! ;)

@team:

Bronze update:
Instead of just sitting here biting my nails... I decided to check on the status of Smurkz.

Looking at their 1929AD save... their nearest transport is 5 turns from reaching Chartres. I can't see any way they win before that happens. (even if they managed to get the tacts built and loaded on subs and in place before 1933, which seems unlikely too). If they had a settler on one of those transports they could build a bridge city and get there in time. But they don't. :mwaha: Slavery not an option for them, but in 2 turns they could cash rush settler, then load it on a ship. Then unload it. Then settle bridge. Hmm... nope, they get there faster without it.

They'll come a lot closer to beating us than I thought they would just a short while ago, though.:whew:

Long story short:

I'm pretty confident we won the bronze, comrades. :salute:

@the others:
Thanks for teaching us lessons. We hope we can use this to give you greater challenge next time!

Thanks for your extensive response. :)

So, you were first to declare on Mao? Hm, we could use some some code experts too. I know this reduces the price by quite a lot, but estimating the cost is another problem. Especially when you don't have any techs this gets tricky. There was an equation in that Vanilla Deity game a while back, is that still valid for BtS more or less?

Ok, I see you were going by the principle rather then calculation for commercial buildings in the capital. I've checked the benefit that bank would give at sustainable science rate while looking at your saves. If not before, capital had time to build it manually instead of wealth building. Time to build it plus the time to pay its cost in hammers assuming 1 hammer to 1 gold ratio was pretty good. I picked up this reasoning in Xteam from their last game. You can go into more details regarding this, but this rough estimate is good enough. You can do that for each building, nobody is forcing you to build a Market as well just because that's a commercial city. ;)

I'm also wandering about 'Bombay' and gold city tile usage, but that's very hard to say. If you can generate about the same number of GS in the same period, I'm inclined to think that cottage setup with some infrastructure would be better than the one guided with the minimalistic principle. Again, very hard for me to say. Another trick I'm not sure if you considered, multiple HE building with Marble instead of wealth building. This would effectively double the benefit when you finally finish the building somewhere else. We used this for Hermitage, but not that much due to some timing misjudgments. (we were suddenly production limited and didn't need more research)

In any case, going through your saves has been very educational for me. Congratulations again on your outstanding game! :clap: :rockon:

EDIT: X-post

I haven't examined Xteam's game yet. Hopping to see their summary soon, although I'm tempted to do another run through the saves to learn more. :D

That was my feeling too, that Bombay spot wasn't as important as general strategy. Especially with the tile setup you used, using the city for hammers and 1 generated GS. As for our team, we dismissed the National Park idea in some calculation that favored cottages and forest chopping. We had many other pitfalls that set us back: not stealing workers from Gandhi, weak REX before Liberalism, etc...

How many GS did Xteam generate? You were very diligent with this and this was key for the win.

@kcd_swede

Ha, I had a look yesterday and also spotted that problematic city. :D Luckily for us, Smurkz didn't whip down their civ to the ground a while back. Very lucky Bronze in the end, but you have to start somewhere. :cool: Nice team effort guys, let's see if we can do even better next time around!

@Yamps:
I also viewed the "Bombay" site as great for cottages. My teammates' main argument against that was not enough multipliers in light of the late start and slow development of cottages. No bureau bonus, no Oxford. They become villages pretty late and we were planning to finish research around T130. Meanwhile, we wanted to use that city for unit production starting T100 or T110. Furthermore, twenty of those turns we golden age so we were getting an extra hammer and an extra coin on all the river tiles. So my view is that my teammates had it right.

Bottom line is, our game was so tight, there was very little time for anything and anything that took time was almost immediately disqualified. I was also amazed at how long the Xteam turnsets were. In our game that seemed impossible. Too much was happening every couple of turns. We simply needed to stop and discuss things.

You pose an excellent question on how many GPs Xteam spawned. I don't know, but you made me think of another factor that the GP farm focus misses. In both of our golden ages, we were spawning GPs in 4 cities. That means all four cities were getting the extra 100% on gppts. We spawned 10GPs in 123 turns. I wonder how many they had by T123. And before they even had Biology, our capital (same site as their GP farm) had 9 villages with a minimum of 4cpt each. Their "free" specialists were producing, let's say 1h + 3b compared to our 4c. Which is better for research? Our coins were getting about a 4x multiplier.

We didn't think of double building HE or NE. MIght of been a good idea. I think we were in a hurry to get HE done, but maybe we missed an opportunity. :goodjob:

It's over, Smurkz finished just one turn later than we did! :eek: Looking forward to the next game! :trophy3rd:

Statistics from Xteam's last available save game:

Tech list

Spoiler :

1. 1630 PP
  2. 1635 Gunpowder
  3. 1680 Rep Parts
  4. 1706 Chemistry
  5. 1708 Education
  6. 1710 Economics
  7. 1718 Sci Method
  8. 1722 Astronomy
  9. 1736 Physics
  10. 1738 Nationalism
  11. 1740 Liberalism (barbs first!)
  12. 1766 Communism
  13. 1770 Constitution
  14. 1778 Biology
  15. 1788 Steam Power
  16. 1818 Steel
  17. 1826 Corporation
  18. 1828 Electricity
  19. 1832 Military Tradition
  20. 1842 Assembly Line
  21. 1845 Fascism
  22. 1846 Rifling
  23. 1850 Fission
  24. 1853 Military Science
  25. 1858 Artillery
  26. 1866 Rocketry

First cities

Spoiler :

1. 1295 Moscow (1S of gold)
  2. 1295 St Pete (on spot)
  3. 1490 Orange city (western copper, fur, crab)
  4. 1515 Novogorod (western corn spot)
  5. 1545 Rostov (Gandhi's iron spot)
  6. 1565 Fish city (northern food spot)
  7. 1605 Yaroslavl (silver fish)

Great people

Spoiler :

1. 1520 GE Moscow
  2. 1570 GE St Pete
  3. 1665 GS St pete
  4. 1708 GS St Pete
  5. 1730 GS Fish city
  6. 1734 GS St Pete
  7. 1736 GS (free)
  8. 1758 GA St Pete
  9. 1766 GSpy (free)
  10. 1810 GS St Pete
  11. 1826 GS St Pete
  12. 1843 GS St Pete
  13. 1857 GS Vladivostok
  14. 1859 GM St Pete

Some other data:

Spoiler :

1430 Circumnavigation
1712 Liberalism (barbs)
1760 GA
1860 GA

Congratulations on your bronze medal, US!!!

Now go for Silver! (Sorry, Gold is already reserved... :lol:)

Statistics from Xteam's last available save game:

Great people

Spoiler :

1. 1520 GE Moscow
  2. 1570 GE St Pete
  3. 1665 GS St pete
  4. 1708 GS St Pete
  5. 1730 GS Fish city
  6. 1734 GS St Pete
  7. 1736 GS (free)
  8. 1758 GA St Pete
  9. 1766 GSpy (free)
  10. 1810 GS St Pete
  11. 1826 GS St Pete
  12. 1843 GS St Pete
  13. 1857 GS Vladivostok
  14. 1859 GM St Pete
Thanks, Yamps. I think this pretty clearly shows what I was saying about the difference between the MW strategy of using multiple cities and 2 GAs for spawning GPs and the Xteam strategy of a super GP farm:
Code:
   Xteam 	        Murky Waters

1. 1520 GE Moscow    	1530 GE St Pete
2. 1570 GE St Pete     	1565 GS Moscow (Murkow)
3. 1665 GS St pete 	1595 GS St Pete
4. 1708 GS St Pete 	1605 GS Moscow (Murkow)
5. 1730 GS Fish city 	1620 GS Cape Cod (northern fish city) 
6. 1734 GS St Pete    	1655 GSpy (free)
7. 1736 GS (free) 	1750 GS Sala Silvermine 
8. 1758 GA St Pete 	1758 GS Moscow (Murkow)
9. 1766 GSpy (free) 	1760 GS Cape Cod (northern fish city)

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. [COLOR="Red"]1810[/COLOR] GS St Pete 	1762 GS (free)
11. 1826 GS St Pete 	1776 GS Cape Cod (northern fish city)
12. 1843 GS St Pete 	[COLOR="red"]1778[/COLOR] GS Barb Magnet (Marble City)
13. 1857 GS Vladivostok 
14. 1859 GM St Pete

Code:
		Murky GP			Xteam GP				US GP			

1	1530	GE	(StPete)	1520	GE	Moscow		1490	GE	Leningrad	(Taj)
2	1565	GS	(Murkow)	1570	GE	StPete		1540	GS	Moskva		(Academy)
3	1590	GS	(StPete)	1665	GS	StPete		1555	GS	Leningrad	(Academy)
4	1600	GS	(Murkow)	1708	GS	StPete		1590	free	GM		(trade route)
5	1625	GS	(CapeCod	1730	GS	Fishcity	1685	GS	Leningrad	(Biology)
6	1650	Gspy	(free)		1734	GS	StPete		1798	free	spy		(GA)
7	1750	GS	(Silvermine)	1736	GS	(free)		1824	free	GS		(Electricity)
8	1758	GS	(Murkow)	1758	GA	StPete		1846	GS	Moskva		(Fission)
9	1760	GS	(free)		1766	GSpy	(free)		1854	GA	Leningrad	(GA)
10	1760	GS	CapeCod		1810	GS	StPete		1865	GM	Leningrad	(GA)
11	1776	GS	CapeCod		1826	GS	StPete		1881	Gspy	Moskva		(GA)
12	1778	GS	BarbMagnet	1843	GS	StPete		1885	GA	Leningrad	(GA)
13					1857	GS	Vladivostok	1918	GP	Leningrad	(GA)
14					1859	GM	StPete

:lol: You were faster with the spreadsheets...

GP management decided this more than anything else. You can see a dark age period in our game after Liberalism, with Slavery and settling around the map. No wonder you didn't have time for slaving infrastructure and such in that tight GPP schedule. Impressive game Murky Waters! :cool:

@Gold

Ah, I see...you have faith in those Russian teams. :p :lol:

@LC

What do you mean exactly by '1:1 teching ratio of GPs:beakers' ? Ratio of techs acquired by great people and techs acquired by manual research in some fixed time period?

These things are always interesting to me, so let's have a look:

You generated 1 GE, 9 GS, got 1 free Gspy, 1 free GS and did it all really fast. To generate 10 great people, a total of 0.9*(150+300+450+600+750+900+1050+1200+1350+1500) = 7425 gpp was needed. (0.9 is from advanced start it seems, I've checked a few numbers to determine it)

That's 742.5 for each great person on average. With population of say 50, each GS is worth 1.5*(1500+3*50) = 2475 bulb beakers. (I don't think there's a correction for advanced start, but I'll have to double-check) This means that each gpp point equals 3.3 beakers on average. A lot of sense not to whip those specialists to infrastructure to get great people done faster...

@LC

What do you mean exactly by '1:1 teching ratio of GPs:beakers' ? Ratio of techs acquired by great people and techs acquired by manual research in some fixed time period?
Yes, that's what I meant. We didn't plan for spawning any non-GS bulbers because they're much lower in value, so we were only interested in bulbing along the Fission track. Since Communism gave us the GSpy, we also made another GP for the second GA, which increased our gppts and gave the added coins and hammers, of course. After Fission, our focus was building land units and galleons, Manhatten, and completing Rocketry by hand. A super GP farm wouldn't have been as useful for that, whereas our cities were flexible, they could switch from GP production to unit production to wealth production, depending on our needs.

I'd be interested to see an analysis of whether the National Park GP farm actually paid off. I doubt it does if one's goal is to finish research by T130-T135.

Top Bottom