MOO2Civ

Almost forgot to mention: fulano has designed a new tech tree, intended for MOO2Civ 5.0, which is due to be released mid-March. People who want to playtest/provide feedback or just try it out can download it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8832594&postcount=1

Just place the unzipped file in your MOO2Civ\Assets\XML folder and let overwrite. (Please make a backup beforehand, just in case.)

hi all

the 4l installer or 5.0 working for me, but i havnt a text :confused:
not in the main ui nor in the game

bytheway, it seems it works fine with win7, but its crashing with the xp comp. mode.

No text? Do you have a working interface?

BTW, thanks for the report on loading with Win7 (I don't have that installed), although with no text I wouldn't say it's working properly.

was my mistake, now it works after i set the language to english :/ *doh*
but l4patch is not working, just 5.0beta

will it be possible in the future to modify the race with picks, like in the original game?
or would that be to difficult to include?

:lol: Well, welcome to MOO2Civ, Nebu!

Well, MOO2Civ 5.0 Beta was meant as a stable version following multiple bug/error reports with the latest patches.

There are several things in MoO that are a bit hard to simulate in Civ terms. Currently modifying your race isn't really an option; you are limited to civics options as they become available through research. But for MOO2Civ 5.0 a revised tech tree is in the works, which will more closely resemble the one in MoO II specifically. I also intend to complete the Leaderheads with original MoO II ones and add custom MoO II music, which you may recognize from the original game. More changes are planned, but not yet finished. (Among them a more MoO II-like ship design/promotion system.)

Oooo :p

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?” ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi

It matters to the ones left alive wether they live as free men or slaves, or under the total oppression and fear of a totalitarian government. This statement by Gandhi is shallow and only intended for the uneducated masses as a feel good moment of self ritousness. (pardon my spelling) Gandhi may be perfectly happy to live as a slave that doesn't mean other are. If he gets his way more may die under a slavers bullet in hovel conditions then a 5 year war. It may just take 20 years of slavery and oppression to reach that number then the new generation will be fed up and have the war anyway.

This is not really the place for taking issue with the pacifistic statement in my signature. Why not PM me if you really want to talk about it?

hi ppl.
i was afk for long due to work and family obligations but now it seems that ill have more time for the fun stuff in life.

I saw that there were a few updates about reserch tree and im sad i've missed that but what can i do...

the reason im posting is that this mod might need some new ship\troops\whatever models or maybe dds maps and maybe i could do that after work.

Could any of you wiz-mods make a wish list of what u need so i can start contribute models? (and pls dont get lazy and say "oh, just whatever there is in moo2 original game" :p)

If given a prioritized list, i'd know where to begin. Thank youuuuu:goodjob:

Glad to see you're back! :)

The problem right now is not so much a lack of models (though plenty more will be needed), but incorporating the existing models. (See here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=343893 in the subforum.) So far I've tried including woodelf's Mekanik model as a Meklar Scout, but not being familar with including models I'm not progressing very fast. So, if you would like to help, that'd be a priority. (Giving at least every race 1 or 2 custom models, that is.)

As far as including new models goes, I've no list of wanted models, not being able to take MoO screenshots and/or not having otherwise access to actual MoO models to work from. :(

EDIT: Actually, fulano has included Doomstars in his minimod (mentioned 5 posts back), so it would be nice to have a Doomstar model. ;)

Thank you for the hearty welcome :)

[ok, i've watched the unit thread.]

when you say that the problem is with giving civs their respective units you mean code-wise? in the XMLs? or have i misunderstood?
I'm no leet coder\modder but if i got an elephant into M&B i can get a unit into civ, well, err... I hope :\

also, what do u mean when you say that you are not having access to actual MoO models to work from?!? lol, these are the models i offered to create. we don't need no access lol.

oh, nearly forgot. I have the entire moo series so if you need screenies jast say what they are and maybe i can reinstall and cap them.

Last but not least; Doomstars.

I dont know what was the question but the answer is YES!

I will maek!

Edit:

I was just DLing the last version, the one you removed files from.
It didn't work for me.
the main menu runs allright, im trying to setup a game but the whole thing is getting stuck in the init of the map (not even map creation, just initialization).

Also, i just ported the scout model into 3dsmax so i'll have size referance for future models and that works well enough so thats good but i assume that the dds files are going to be in a relatively crappy resolution because everything gonna be so small anyway, right? if its not right tell me how big the uv maps should be.

and about XML coding; you've said something about giving special units to civs, right?
this is a longshot because you prolly already knows that but here goes nothing:

(check the red part)

Spoiler :

Code:
[B]>>>CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml<<<[/B]

<CivilizationInfo>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_DARLOK</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_DARLOK_DESC</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_DARLOK_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_DARLOK_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV_DARLOK_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_GREEN</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_DARLOK</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN</ArtStyleType>
			<bPlayable>1</bPlayable>
			<bAIPlayable>1</bAIPlayable>
			<Cities>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_DARLOK_0</City>
				<City>Arietis</City>
				<City>Beta Ceti</City>
				<City>Tau Cygni</City>
				<City>Chorazin</City>
				<City>Delphi </City>
				<City>Elysia</City>
				<City>Ghav</City>
				<City>Hoshi</City>
				<City>Kelev</City>
				<City>Maalor</City>
				<City>Agab</City>
				<City>Lara</City>
				<City>Tuna</City>
				<City>Aruc</City>
				<City>Caeleb</City>
				<City>Sapsih</City>
				<City>Scaliger</City>
				<City>Nath</City>
			</Cities>
[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]			<Buildings>
				<Building>
					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_INTELLIGENCE_FACILITY</BuildingClassType>
					<BuildingType>BUILDING_DARLOK_CELL</BuildingType>
				</Building>
			</Buildings>
			<Units>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SCOUT_PROBE</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_DARLOK_OBSERVER</UnitType>
				</Unit>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SPY</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_DARLOK_ASSILENT</UnitType>
				</Unit>
			</Units>[/B][/COLOR]
			<FreeUnitClasses>
				<FreeUnitClass>
					<UnitClassType>[COLOR="DarkRed"]UNITCLASS_SCOUT_PROBE[/COLOR]</UnitClassType>
					<iFreeUnits>1</iFreeUnits>
				</FreeUnitClass>
			</FreeUnitClasses>
			<FreeBuildingClasses>
				<FreeBuildingClass>
					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_CAPITOL</BuildingClassType>
					<bFreeBuildingClass>1</bFreeBuildingClass>
				</FreeBuildingClass>
			</FreeBuildingClasses>
			<FreeTechs>
				<FreeTech>
					<TechType>TECH_MILITARY_0</TechType>
					<bFreeTech>0</bFreeTech>
				</FreeTech>
			</FreeTechs>
			<DisableTechs/>
			<InitialCivics>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_TRADITIONAL_MILITARY</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_FRONTIER</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_DEFAULT_LABOR</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_SIMPLE_ECONOMY</CivicType>
			</InitialCivics>
			<Leaders>
				<Leader>
					<LeaderName>LEADER_DARLOK_I</LeaderName>
					<bLeaderAvailability>1</bLeaderAvailability>
				</Leader>
				<Leader>
					<LeaderName>LEADER_DARLOK_II</LeaderName>
					<bLeaderAvailability>1</bLeaderAvailability>
				</Leader>
			</Leaders>
			<DerivativeCiv>NONE</DerivativeCiv>
			<CivilizationSelectionSound>AS3D_CARTHAGE_SELECT</CivilizationSelectionSound>
			<CivilizationActionSound>AS3D_CARTHAGE_ORDER</CivilizationActionSound>
		</CivilizationInfo>

thats only the 1st step though, go to \XML\Units and edit CIV4UnitInfos.xml to your liking and look for its mash-group.

Spoiler :

Code:
			<UnitMeshGroups>
				<iGroupSize>2</iGroupSize>
				<fMaxSpeed>2.75</fMaxSpeed>
				<fPadTime>1</fPadTime>
				<iMeleeWaveSize>1</iMeleeWaveSize>
				<iRangedWaveSize>1</iRangedWaveSize>
				<UnitMeshGroup>
					<iRequired>1</iRequired>
					<EarlyArtDefineTag>[COLOR="DarkRed"]ART_DEF_UNIT_SCOUT_I[/COLOR]</EarlyArtDefineTag>
				</UnitMeshGroup>
			</UnitMeshGroups>

this means that the game looks in another file for directions, not the mashes yet...
go to \XML\Art and look for CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml, in every <UnitArtInfo> there is a <NIF> section. this <NIF> section is what leads you to the actual model file.

I hope that was helpful and that I didn't wasted your time mate. :)

Very nice. I'll paste those instructions to the unit thread. ;)

Good news on the Doomstar then. As for the Scout: it's probably the smallest unit in game (with the Probe), but you're right about that - woodelf complained about the smallness way back when he made his MOO2 models as well.

If you want you can post finished models there or on your own ("tuxu's unit thread"?) thread in the subforum. :goodjob:

Sorry to hear you can't get v. 5.0 Beta to work... does an earlier version work? (As it would be the easiest way to check how the model looks in game, I reckon.)

Very nice. I'll paste those instructions to the unit thread. ;)
I'm happy to have seen that come to good use, I was sceptical about how much use it would have but took the time to write it instead of playing css with friends, I'm just glad that the time I've spent paid off
Good news on the Doomstar then. As for the Scout: it's probably the smallest unit in game (with the Probe), but you're right about that - woodelf complained about the smallness way back when he made his MOO2 models as well.

If you want you can post finished models there or on your own ("tuxu's unit thread"?) thread in the subforum. :goodjob:naa, if theres a standing unit thread I'll contribute to it rather then going on an ego-trip and stick my name in the title, lol

Sorry to hear you can't get v. 5.0 Beta to work... does an earlier version work? (As it would be the easiest way to check how the model looks in game, I reckon.)ill dl and try as soon as i get a free moment

nearly forgot!!!

is it possible to move the main menu's text lines(Singleplayer;Multiplayer...), say, to the center-right side of the screen? if its possible I might have a cool Idea :D

Imagine this animated :3

also;
here is a link about moo2 science:
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II/Engineering

I was pondering about the similarities and differences between civ tech and moo tech trees.

in civ, when you get a tech - you get it all while in moo2 there can be overruns (pos\neg) for creative or dumb races.

I thought that we could simulate that effect in civ too. :D how?

we know that every leader has traits, lets say that the creative trait was a "flag" of some sort that boosts the % for extra dicoveries.

now, you are researching "Capsule Construction":
Spoiler :
250 RP: Capsule Construction
Battle Pods
Ship Special System that increases available space in the ship by 50%.

Troop Pods
Ship Special System that doubles the number Marines it carries. Useful for performing or defending against boarding attacks; but becomes less important when moderately good shields appear, as shields block boarding raids.

Survival Pods
Achievement (no construction or ship component required) that saves any Ship Leader whose ship is destroyed, provided if at least one of your ships is present at the end of the battle (i.e. you must win for Survival Pods to work; if all your surviving ships retreat, the stranded Leaders die).

you will get 40% chance to discover each type of the pods if you are without the creative trait(Battle Pods=40%, Troop Pods=40%, Survival Pods=40%, ), when you are a dumb race you will get less(Battle Pods=30%, Troop Pods=30%, Survival Pods=30%, ) and when you are creative you will get more(Battle Pods=70%, Troop Pods=70%, Survival Pods=70%, ).

but who does this fit into civ4 engine? with "random events".

if every tech discovery would trigger a random event that would notify the player what had been discovered according to his traits we have pretty much made ourselves a moo2 tech tree system, i think... :)

thought: maybe we could kill the tech screen and completely use the random event dialog box for tech? maybe add the tech pix? maybe make a NIF file that simulates the moo2 tech dicovery screen? im trying to see if i can also make the leaders models and place them in a moo2 diplo room screen. but no promises.

if i manage to have time for it, I WILL MAEK!

As concerns this:

Regarding lag, at turn 143 mine is maybe 30 seconds using XP, a C2D E6600 and 2 gigs of memory. I am using a GT260 video card but am Folding in the background. :cool:

I find that simply using Single Unit graphics keeps turn lag decent even after mid-game (and it only affects the smaller ships, like Probes, Scouts, Invasion Ships). I don't think I can recall even a 30 second turn lag with it.

:goodjob: MOO2Civ 5.0 has been uploaded here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14464

Info:

Version: 5.0

Changes:
-------

- (re)added innate Stealth to all Darlok ships by Minor Annoyance
- (re)added innate Stealth Civpedia text by Minor Annoyance
- added redone traits by Minor Annoyance
- merged fulano's MOO2Civ minimod v. 1.5.4b (see Documents folder for details)
- added scenarios
- added custom music (partly optional)
- some additional race trait changes
- corrected races' colourscheme (no more 2 races with orange colour!)
- corrected Spiral Galaxymapscript
- fixed Kael's Assimilation mod errors (not sure if it works; feedback welcome!)
- more text corrections

EDIT: Updated the Download Page with additional info (like How To Play The Scenarios)

Actually, downloads for MOO2Civ 5.0 are already at 200+ if those via Strategy Informer are included. ;)

Top Bottom