So apparently, there's nothing wrong with Civ V

Sorry but the people who complain about CIV 5, complained about CIV 4, after done some digging into the forums!

IMHO I find CIV 5 better than CIV 4. It's more complex than CIV 4 and people who complain about "dumbing" down haven't touch the surface. Civics are more complex (Social Policies now) and building a big empire is a feat on it's own which was dead easy on CIV4.

Also in CIV 4 when you had an Iron mine, you mass produce Swordsmen, and here we go. Now you barely can make 3 if you plan to get the mandatory 2-3 catapults on a 6 iron mine (if lucky). So you have to fill up the gaps with lesser troops. And taking enemy cities to obtain more iron, cripples your empire beyond repair.

The AI has issues, but I hope that it will be fixed. (Try to turn on random personalities, they seem way smarter on Immortal and Deity).

So what's missing? Religion? Spies? Corporations? The last two came with BTS. Religion, come on was so overpowered that everyone was winning games because of it.
Was never bothered about it and the game was more challenging but many dropped their games when they lost the race.

Even on multi, how many multiplayer games were ruined because someone lost the early religions and stop passing the turn around? Not talking about single games which rate would be higher.

Seeing CIV 5 also on 3D on Saturday, seems I need to budget myself and buy a 3d monitor, replacing my 5850 with an Nvidia card :( It looks AWESOME.

Ummm, actually it says "some people are upset about the loss of civics and religion"....I find it quite odd that people who dislike this game so much continue playing it, logging on to civ 5 forums, and saying how they don't like it compared to civ 4.

I hope you realise that Wikipedia can't exactly link to a forum as a source for "people don't like the game"? In regards to reception, Wikipedia has always had a policy of documenting reviews, not the complaints of forumgoers.

Ummm, actually it says "some people are upset about the loss of civics and religion"....I find it quite odd that people who dislike this game so much continue playing it, logging on to civ 5 forums, and saying how they don't like it compared to civ 4.

maybe they're hardcore fans that took a month-long vacation in advance planning to get addicted and then failed :lol:

Sorry but the people who complain about CIV 5, complained about CIV 4, after done some digging into the forums!

Yes, but then everybody complained about Civ IV on release, and for good reasons. Civ IV was horribly buggy and unstable at release, and it took some major patching before the game was really playable.

So what's missing?

For me? Fun.

^ this.

and that reception area on wikipedia is absolutely accurate. It was very well reviewed, but there were complaints about the AI. I don't think whiners on civfanatics are considered part of the games "reception"...

As a drawback they criticised the AI as being fairly average and the diplomatic aspect as "anemic".

average? xD

When you can destroy 3 civs with 4 horseman (the same 4), I wouldnt call the AI average.

I find it quite odd that people who dislike this game so much continue playing it, logging on to civ 5 forums, and saying how they don't like it compared to civ 4.

If we play it's bad, if we don't then it's bad too because then we've obviously judged the game too early. There's no way to make a fan boy happy.

P.S. I'm still playing, I want to know what's good and what's bad in order to make my mind about buying the future expansions. If things I end up hating don't get fixed there's no reason for me to buy expansions.

There are several things wrong with Civ 5, as with any previous Civ game at launch.

But there is not enough wrong to dub it a ''bad game''. It is better at launch than Civ 4 was, that's for sure.

Forums posts (where 99% of the complaints are voiced) are NOT allowed to be used as source material on wikipedia, as such wikipedia articles on a game's reception are always limited to the generic corporate reviewers.

Be careful, they are handing out daily infractions on this forum to everyone who argues with people that complain about Civ 5...The complainers are welcome to say whatever they like but I have received 3 infractions because I told people to just go back to playing civ 4 (trolling or whatever :crazyeye:)

Nice addition to this topic. Very constructive. Wonder why you are getting warnings.

But there is not enough wrong to dub it a ''bad game''. It is better at launch than Civ 4 was, that's for sure.

The thing is you are supposed to gather experience. I totally agree that civ5 vanilla is better than civ4 vanilla, but I think that is no excuse for repeating mistakes. Even less when many of civ4 vanilla mistakes were fixed by modders instead of developers.

I think Civ 5 deserves a 9/10. It is more streamlined, the graphics are much better compared to what I've seen of Civ 4 , and it is good for someone to easily pick up and learn how to play while still providing a challenge to more experienced players. If anybody finds deity level too easy I think they are a god of video games.

And yet every time theres been a poll on here, its shown an overwhelmingly positive response to the game. It's just that every. single. person. who doesn't like the game seems to feel they need to open a separate thread about why they hate it sooo much, and i suspect that's skewing the perspective.

Top Bottom