While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

Gee, you could be a bit less gloomy. :p

Gee, you could be a bit less gloomy. :p

The happy version I posted on Facebook :)

What I meant to say is that impermanence is to be celebrated, it is how we grow and evolve. Within lies the immortal core essence on a mutliverse-spanning journey of self-discovery...

My quest towards immortality proceeds one more year.

And Daft, if game costs have got you down, come play free ones with me. Dota beckons! :O

Erez87 pmed me today to ask about my old Egypt NES. Digging through my old archives did bring back lots of good memories. So has NESing survived? I do see a few names from the past are still here. Are the games the same or have they evolved into something new?

I'm working on a couple projects here and there. Overall mine are in development Hell. Isn't college great?

Overall, I think we are doing lots of rather experimental stuff. It's almost as if NESing was slowly moving towards a new stage when it took it's unplaned hiatus.

NESing still exist, thou a bit... smaller than in the past.

As for the Egypt NES, yap, I still remember it fondly, like all the others.

I'm still waiting for people to submit orders for MigratioNES.

My elevator pitch for that project is 'the focus is on cultures, rather than nations' (although if you really want to play one nation in specific, you can do that). So think of it as a mixture of a traditional map-based NES with the ethos of an evolution NES. Right now we're just seeing the dawn of agriculture and early city states in two cradles that have appeared across the world, one in a fertile river valley in Apala, the home continent of humanity, and another on the eastern coastal fringe of the northern continent of Wabana.

Nah, I'll get around to NESLife VI again eventually. But perhaps I should change it to my present project.

Erez87 pmed me today to ask about my old Egypt NES. Digging through my old archives did bring back lots of good memories. So has NESing survived? I do see a few names from the past are still here. Are the games the same or have they evolved into something new?

Yep, still here.

Neptune's Pride! Such a wretched hive of scum and villainy, even worse than Mos Eisley. I remember clearly and even somewhat fondly, in spite of all the unspeakable things.

Ah yes, the game that threatens to destroy friendships. I did have a very good time playing those old vanilla Neptune's Pride games. I never really got into 2.0 like the rest of you did, but I still look back with a bit of mixed pride (ho ho) at my successes in some of those early games.

Interesting video I just watched. Also interesting is that this is how I play internal politics and mid level decisions (i.e. strategy being industrialization, tactics being protective tariffs/import replacement, but mid level being what fields to focus investment into). I look at the power players which would make sense to exist, and which ones my government should empower/placate, and which ones I can safely ignore or toss chum change, at least for now.

Of course, this has led me down some pretty bad paths. Such as in End of Empires where the Tarparsunuen (think East India Trading Company) has become a huge power broker in Parthecan politics, to the extent that they sent over half of the army a continent away in an essentially mercenary contract, in order to buy the votes of some religious factions, in order to push through property rights "reforms" and aggressive diplomacy in Parthecan sphere of influence. The way things were going though, it did look like a coalition of isolationists/closed sphere imperialists may or may not overthrow them, depending on their investments on the continent.

EDIT: RIP Idealism on benevolent dictators though. :p

Top Bottom