Civ6 modding. What is possible...

UncivilizedGuy

The Village Idiot
Ok modders. Tonight is the night we get to crack open this egg. I'm excited to finally get the chance to pour over the XML files. Or will there be XML files? XML is about the extent of my modding abilities. I have learned a little about LUA but not enough to create entire mods on my own. I am far from being an expert.

So, the mission that I am presenting to modders is to take a close look at the code this weekend and give your impressions on what kind of mods are possible. I am also interested in some insight into the coding differences between IV, V and VI. On your marks; get set; go!

We'll find out in a few hours.

RIP. Making mods with any art is currently impossible.

The game uses .blp format, which is the same that Blizzard uses for something (WoW?), but efforts to convert these or read these using various plugins have been in vain.

The game uses XML/SQL/Lua, for the record.

wait really? we can't do art? what the hell happened to "it's easier", Firaxis?

The live tuner for civ5 seems to connect to civ6 (still need to edit the config file to allow the connection)

Anyone with the game checked out the World Builder yet?
There are a lot of files indicating an ingame worldbuilder. maybe I've missed something obvious, but I've failed to activate it yet.

The way the file system is arranged looks really weird and... overly complicated.

There are a lot of files indicating an ingame worldbuilder. maybe I've missed something obvious, but I've failed to activate it yet.

This'll come soon, from the pdf:

Coming shortly after release, it will be possible to download ModBuddy and the World Builder, the official modding tools for Civilization VI. This package will allow you to make custom maps and scenarios, change minute behavior of the game’s AI, and package up your custom mods so that others can download and enjoy them too. Check back either on Civilization VIs official webpage or on the Steam game page for more information and updates. ModBuddy and the World Builder will be available for download through Steam. Navigate to the Tools section of the Games tab to download.

It's entirely possible they aren't going to release the mod tools until the game has been out for a while, or until all time zones are released.

oooh, that looks good.

hmmm, it seems impossible to load the .artdef files from a mod (or the way to import files in the VFS has changed), and as the art defines are not in the database, I have no idea on how to make R.E.D Modpack for Civ6 without overwriting the original files...

RIP. Making mods with any art is currently impossible.

The game uses .blp format, which is the same that Blizzard uses for something (WoW?), but efforts to convert these or read these using various plugins have been in vain.

The game uses XML/SQL/Lua, for the record.

I think the extensions are just the same, they aren't actually the same type of file. Why on earth would blizzard let Firaxis use their proprietary texture format?

In other news it appears there is a gamecoreDLL with similar properties to the civ 5 one so that seems like a positive sign that they may be intending to give us C++ source again sometime.

Top Bottom