Full Price Beta

Do you regret spending as much money as you did on this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dracul JOSHI

Chieftain
That's what I feel this game is...

It just feels... untweaked... incomplete...

Even more so than Vanilla 5 or BE.

And while I find the wonder-building and district building to be interesting... although cumbersome, because of the scale of them game not accompanying it well.

Personally, I would like the wonders to work like they do here, except be actually useful, the districts not so much.

It's just... lets face this... the maps are small and a city was alway a city and surrounding area... a city of the size of New York or London or similar when played on the huge world map.
Building these districts is just... kind of ridiculous an not in a good. way.

Either increase map size drastically and make the dirstrict-range 3 while the City Range is 9 or make it some system, where you build the districts inside your city and you only had the capacity for districts based on the population with benefits drawn from surrounding fields.

Aside from that... I dig the great wall... I dig the heureka and Inspiration, although I think 50% is too much.

I will defintively give this game another shot when the expansion/s are released, but for right now, I regret to have spend as much money on it as I have...
I am going back to V and BERT... I actually really like BERT... it has so many fun mechanics.
and I did want to check out IV once, despite the non-hexagonal map.

P.S.: Please fix the difficulties...

You think vanilla Civ 5, which had a bunch of Civ 4 features stripped out, was more complete than vanilla 6 which has most of those features and some cool new things?

Sure, there are some bugs (I haven't been able to delete units, the game crashes when I try to quit and I have to close it using task manager), some omissions (no alert option for units) and some weird choices (explored, but not currently visble areas ofthe map are really hard on my poor eyesight), but to compare it to a beta product is a gross exaggeration.

If you want to see a game launched while still in beta, I direct you to Elder Scrolls Online which was launched two and a half years ago and still has all manner of bugs and issues from the formal beta period.

They did say on the battle royal stream, that basically the game is not done. The editor/publisher/producer whoever it was seems to have set a hard deadline and then they rushed towards it for months after the announcement instead of releasing when it's done.

A culture of releasing incomplete/untweaked/unpolished games and then selling expansions to (maybe) fix that just does not make me want to spend any money or keep gaming, the impact on quality and community is enormous. Love many of the concepts and ideas of the game, but I'm not buying for now.

You think vanilla Civ 5, which had a bunch of Civ 4 features stripped out, was more complete than vanilla 6 which has most of those features and some cool new things?

Sure, there are some bugs (I haven't been able to delete units, the game crashes when I try to quit and I have to close it using task manager), some omissions (no alert option for units) and some weird choices (explored, but not currently visble areas ofthe map are really hard on my poor eyesight), but to compare it to a beta product is a gross exaggeration.

If you want to see a game launched while still in beta, I direct you to Elder Scrolls Online which was launched two and a half years ago and still has all manner of bugs and issues from the formal beta period.

I suppose...
It wasn't meant as an objective statement...
it was more... everything feels kind of half-assed to me...
I am personally more about how it is implemented than what is implemented, probably because of my perfectionism.

For example, I really like Tic Tac Toe... simple as you can get, but it is a genius game from accessibility, balancing and justice standpoint, even if it is intrinsically unfair like all turn-based games.

I could probably write a study about game design based on tic tac toe, but I will spare you... did make a well received game of it once for a job application though... including modding capability... wonder if I still have that lying around somewhere.

They did say on the battle royal stream, that basically the game is not done. The editor/publisher/producer whoever it was seems to have set a hard deadline and then they rushed towards it for months after the announcement instead of releasing when it's done.

A culture of releasing incomplete/untweaked/unpolished games and then selling expansions to (maybe) fix that just does not make me want to spend any money or keep gaming, the impact on quality and community is enormous. Love many of the concepts and ideas of the game, but I'm not buying for now.

Okay, didn't watch that. Thanks for the Info.
And to be fair... Firaxis has done that since Civ 3 and Alpha Centauri... arguably before.
I can understand People getting Moderator Action: <SNIP> over by deadlines... I am a programmer myself and deadlining is always ridiclous because it's impossible to tell how much work a project will cause beforehand.
Plus, there was a warning, I just didn't hear it...

So as far as I am concerned, I won't blame them... doesn't change that I shouldn't have bought it just yet though, if only to send the publisher a message.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed. Please help us keep our site family friendly. leif erikson
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent £0 on the game (got the 25th anniversary edition as a birthday gift) so by definition, no :p

I haven't had the chance to play all that much yet - a couple of hours last night and a couple more this afternoon - but by and large I'm not disappointed with what I've seen so far. The AI and diplomacy in particular still aren't perfect but I find it an improvement over Civ 5, and especially Civ 5 vanilla where diplomacy was as clear as mud on release. The new movement rules are going to take some getting used to, and I'm a little disappointed with the size of the 'huge' maps - I wanted something MUCH bigger - but overall, it doesn't feel like a beta at all to me.

Well what do you know. The predictions of the "haters" and "pessimists" are coming true.

Of course. This kind of topic pops up after every game launch ever.

Moderator Action: Please report the post and ignore it. Feeding trolls only makes things worse.

I, for one, think that the release version of 6 is leagues better than previous Firaxis releases, despite the UI and AI issues.

That's what I feel this game is...

It just feels... untweaked... incomplete...

And while I find the wonder-building and district building to be interesting... although cumbersome, because of the scale of them game not accompanying it well.

Personally, I would like the wonders to work like they do here, except be actually useful, the districts not so much.

It's just... lets face this... the maps are small and a city was alway a city and surrounding area... a city of the size of New York or London or similar when played on the huge world map.
Building these districts is just... kind of ridiculous an not in a good. way.

Either increase map size drastically and make the dirstrict-range 3 while the City Range is 9 or make it some system, where you build the districts inside your city and you only had the capacity for districts based on the population with benefits drawn from surrounding fields.

Aside from that... I dig the great wall... I dig the heureka and Inspiration, although I think 50% is too much.

I will defintively give this game another shot when the expansion/s are released, but for right now, I regret to have spend as much money on it as I have...
I am going back to V and BERT... I actually really like BERT... it has so many fun mechanics.
and I did want to check out IV once, despite the non-hexagonal map.

P.S.: Please fix the difficulties...

To be completely honest, Civ VI appears to be better received by the fan base than Civ V, which was absolutely slammed by many on here. The game is stable, quite well balanced (with some issues of course), and pretty well polished to be honest. Here is an example of a pretty kind review from about this time during Civ V's release week: A kind review

To be completely honest, Civ VI appears to be better received by the fan base than Civ V, which was absolutely slammed by many on here. The game is stable, quite well balanced (with some issues of course), and pretty well polished to be honest. Here is an example of a pretty kind review from about this time during Civ V's release week: A kind review
point taken.
I just played it for myself, didn't really care about other's opinion.
But I see where you're coming from.
hopefully they improve 6 just as much as they did 5, then this will be an amazing game.

No. Civ6 is probably the strongest core release ive had to play in a while.

Its heavily imbalanced and there are issues but Im having way more fun than during civ5 release or civbe rekease.
I would disagree and say CivBE had a better start for what it was trying to do.
That said, it did get much better with Rising Tides and the African... whatever it was... was definitively best suited to my playstyle... absolutely loved them. I stop myself here before I start rambling about that game... I love it so much XD

P.S.: BERT got to be one of the funniest game-acronyms of all time.

Of course. This kind of topic pops up after every game launch ever.

Moderator Action: Please report the post and ignore it. Feeding trolls only makes things worse.

I, for one, think that the release version of 6 is leagues better than previous Firaxis releases, despite the UI and AI issues.

Moderator Action: <snip> I think the game isn't finished yet and shouldn't be sold as full release at this point in time... which according to one post, the developers even admitted to in that 'Battle Royal' Stream.

also, the question was if people were happy with spending that much money on what they got... that doesn't equate to 'do you think this game sucks'...
I wouldn't mind if I had just paid 20 for Early access with another 40-60 incoming on release day, but I resent paying so much for an unfinished product.

Moderator Action: Please be mindful of this site's rules against public discussion of moderator actions.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: <snip> I think the game isn't finished yet and shouldn't be sold as full release at this point in time... which according to one post, the developers even admitted to in that 'Battle Royal' Stream.

also, the question was if people were happy with spending that much money on what they got... that doesn't equate to 'do you think this game sucks'...
I wouldn't mind if I had just paid 20 for Early access with another 40-60 incoming on release day, but I resent paying so much for an unfinished product.

By industry standards this game is well and truly a finished product. This game isn't early access, nor a beta. There are systems that will be improved and added in future versions, but the game is playable and stable for the vast majority of users. Compare this to Xcom 2 which had optimisation issues for months (though I was only of the lucky few with no problems by some miracle of nature).

There are games on the market which deserve the "full price" beta tag, this is not one of them. Calling a game as such should be saved for pretty severe circumstances, as it tends to be seen quite inflammatory, and potentially seen as trolling.

It's also worth noting that a lot of developers literally charge full price for access for their betas, e.g. Sports Interactive.

Forgive me - but I literally stopped reading here. I've played the game practically nonstop since it's come out and while there are certainly some things that lack polish (;)), are some questionable design choices, and a couple of bugs - saying it's worse than those two games would be vastly overstating it, in my own personal experience.

I would disagree and say CivBE had a better start for what it was trying to do.
That said, it did get much better with Rising Tides and the African... whatever it was... was definitively best suited to my playstyle... absolutely loved them. I stop myself here before I start rambling about that game... I love it so much XD

P.S.: BERT got to be one of the funniest game-acronyms of all time.

Then play CivBE. There is a lot of room there.

By industry standards this game is well and truly a finished product. This game isn't early access, nor a beta. There are systems that will be improved and added in future versions, but the game is playable and stable for the vast majority of users. Compare this to Xcom 2 which had optimisation issues for months (though I was only of the lucky few with no problems by some miracle of nature).

There are games on the market which deserve the "full price" beta tag, this is not one of them. Calling a game as such should be saved for pretty severe circumstances, as it tends to be seen quite inflammatory, and potentially seen as trolling.

It's also worth noting that a lot of developers literally charge full price for access for their betas, e.g. Sports Interactive.

There's no such thing as 'Industry Standards'... there might be such a thing as 'Industry Trends' in which case, I do agree... although that doesn't excuse anything, after all, 'Everybody does it' has and never will be a valid defence in favour of anything.
Although I guess I am a bit spoiled by the fact, that I mostly play games by companies that don't do that... such as Nintendo, Platinum games, from software, Atlus and even Square Enix... although on that last one, do international releases and final mixes count if they are the only version that is available in your place or are not available at all?

Next, playability and stability are criteria for an Alpha, not a Beta although the later often, but not always, suffers from stability issues. Technically anything before a version 1.0 is a Beta... in other words, everything before the finished product.
Since the game isn't finished as expected, it technically IS still a Beta.

Although I do understand your need to defend the game based on your explanation on such being perceived as inflammatory by the masses... but I ain't really a 'social' person or good with people, so neither do I care, nor does it change anything.

So let me ask you this: What should I call a game that isn't finished and sold at full price, regardless of quality, then, if not a Beta release?

No. Civ6 is probably the strongest core release ive had to play in a while.

Its heavily imbalanced and there are issues but Im having way more fun than during civ5 release or civbe rekease.
Indeed. It isn't perfect, but this is a much stronger release from firaxis then, well... Anything. This isn't a stripped down version like 5 was, or fundamentally lacking like BE was, or laden with issues like either X-com. Or the complete joke that was starships.

There are some tweaks I'd make to the UI (including some summary screens), warmonger values need to be dropped a notch, and AI priorities need tweaking, but... That stuff is can and should be tweaked post launch. No point delaying endlessly for a 'perfect' that can never be reached.

It's actually in much better shape than the firaxis streams made it seem (which means their PR people and spokes teams seriously dropped the ball)

Top Bottom