Deity Sci Vic - turn 303 - AI is a joke

FornaxTorak

Chieftain
So, third attempt on a deity sci vic. All standard settings, pangea.

First attempt: Killed by barbs
Second attempt: Spawned inland, forward settled on all directions - had half the sci of leader :/
Third attempt: Turn 303 sci vic.

So, whats the deal:
- AI attacked me once. Far away civ, who later turned out to offer friendship. Never saw an enemy in my own territory. Left me alone for the rest of the game.
- No enemy spies at the end game. Got to build everything without any interference.
- Never upgrading their units.
- Generally playing sub par on everything.
- Could easily shave off probably 50 turns with more optimal play.
- Aztec "20% add to districts" is imba.
- Early barbs the only "real" threat.

I think the Civ-team needs to have a better look at the AI, because this is a joke. I'd expected to sit the entire week to try to get my first deity sci win, and did not expect it to come this fast and easy.

Those loses don't mean the AI isn't crap. It can confirm how crap it is, even, especially barbarian spam and lack of interaction.

Haha, thats true. But those losses are pretty much the only way to lose it seems. Early barbs are really fun actually :)

Second attempt: Spawned inland, forward settled on all directions - had half the sci of leader :/

Can't blame that loss on the barbarians.

But, believe me, I won't go on record saying this A.I. is great. From what I can tell so far, I'm not convinced there's been any upgrade from C5.

Actually I have a theory that it's more difficult to play without barbs because they cripple AI too much. Going to test that in my next game

So, you're batting .333 against the A.I, whereas the A.I. is batting .667 against you?

If there's 1 human & 7 AI players then (if everyone is equal) the human player should win one-eighth of the time. So 1 out of 3 at the hardest possible level is already impressive. And he only just started learning the gameplay :)

The barbarians, early game, wouldn't be so bad if 1) they didn't get horsemen and spearmen waaaay before just based on their spawn, and 2) their camps didn't reappear the second you look away.

Chasing down their scouts is pretty hard at first, too, with just warriors.

But my point is: Early barbs and forward settling can't be the only challenge in this game.

So are you saying you never restarted a save?
This game is HOF standards?

Dont know what HOF standards is. :/ I had a crash so had to replay 2-3 turns in the late 50s.

People restart saves?

What's the point? Seems on a level with gaming the map settings to get turn 1 victories.

2016-10-23.png
This: Never upgrading their units.

Note the horde of Chinese spear floating offshore. They sat out at sea for centuries. Eventually they all slid off into the northeast tundra. Never attacked I realize 10000 Li is a Chinese agenda item, but floating offshore for centuries doing nothing?

Another thing that really should be looked at is the Aztec special ability of builders constructing districts. Its way too powerful.

It is basically a free district for the cost of a builder (with serfdom civic). If you micro this correctly, you can construct a district while you produce other things in the city.

Example:
You produce a serfdom builder with 5 builds.
You plop down a district of any kind and put your builder on top of it.
You change production to something other in the city.

At the start of every turn you then change production to the district, use the Aztec ability with the builder, and then change back to producing something else.

Voila, free district for the cost of one serfdom builder.

This might not be all that in your capital, but getting expantions up to speed with campus and industrial district is very powerful.
Not to say the free 2500 production cost spaceport you will need at the end of the game.

Top Bottom