Civ 6 is probably where I hop off the series

thecrazyscot

Spiffy
Recently, I've been itching to play some Civilization again - but I found it interesting that I had no interest in returning to Civ 6. Rather, Civ 2 (the iteration I first hopped on board the series) that I returned to.

That got me thinking as to why that iteration is the one that has stuck with me, and realized that the trajectory of the series as a whole - and culminating in Civ 6 - has trended away from my own personal tastes. If Civ 7 is a continuation of the Civ 5/6 trajectory (and I see no reason to think it won't be) then it might be the first one I skip.

I recognize that they are indeed my own personal tastes, and don't begrudge anyone their continued enjoyment of Civ 6 (and Civ 7!) - but if the series continues this way, it is likely not for me any more, from a playing or modding perspective. I'll be comparing Civ 6 to Civ 2 in this post, mostly because that's the one I'm playing right now. I know for a lot of people Civ 4 is their high-water mark. That's the great thing about the series, isn't it? There are enough iterations that everyone can still play their favorite.

So, in too many words, here are my thoughts, most of which have probably been seen before.

[ SLOWED TO A CRAWL ]

Civ 6 late game is a tedious crawl towards the finish. This is not a surprise to anyone - everyone knows this is one of the biggest issues with the game.

Scientific and cultural victories pretty much come down to just clicking "End Turn" over and over again until the end.

So you can go full warmonger or proselytizer, which makes the late game more interesting simply because you interact with the game more. This has its own set of problems, though, which is that waging war in the late game is a logistical nightmare.

The bottom line is that once you hit the Industrial era, the game shifts gears down to first as the combined managerial weight of a large empire and lots of units makes each turn take forever, as you play shuffle with your army and curse as your building queues all empty at the same time so you have to go through each city again as you set up your queues.

OR

You have a tightly run, small empire pushing for science or culture and the managerial weight of each turn becomes an obstacle to simply clicking "End Turn" as you try to warp-speed your way to victory, but the game systems keep getting in the way.

-------------

Which is a giant shame, because Civ 6 does the early game so well. The game captures the sense of discovery better than any iteration in the series, and watching your humble tribe spread and fill the land with buildings and improvements is tremendously satisfying.

I'm tired of resigning myself to quitting each game half way through when the fun stops or gritting my teeth to actually finish.

[ A SHRINKING WORLD ]

I suspect, the game intentionally tries to slow you down due to its reduced map sizes and the increased importance of a single unit due to the combat system. It spawns a vicious cycle, though.

Enforcing 1 unit per tile makes moving a large army long distances incredibly tedious, so...
Make the maps smaller!
Smaller maps can fill up with units really quickly, so...
Make units take longer to build!
Units take a long time to build, but the player still wants to get them in the action, so...
Make the maps smaller!

I realize this is incredibly simplistic and the actual design considerations were carefully thought through by the team, but I think the end result is suboptimal. The tedium of large empire management also contributes to the decision to make maps smaller, I'm sure.

Previous versions of Civ allowed for huge, sprawling maps where enormous empires would span continents and there would still be room to expand. Things just felt more...epic, in a sense. You got this feeling of the actual clash of empires across the globe, while in Civ 6 it's like everything has been condensed down to a localized conflict area. Even the localized scale feels too big, sometimes, while simultaneously feeling very cramped.

[ ALL SYSTEMS GO ]

Lots of things which were previously "on-map units" have been abstracted. I'm sure in the interests of reducing unit clutter and trying to streamline things - and to be fair, Civ 6 didn't start the abstraction of several of these. But nonetheless, the abstraction of several game systems has made them far more passive and as a result vastly more uninteresting.

Airforce: I will never, for the life of me, understand why they've made aircraft so boring. As it's own self-contained system, first you have to figure out how to even use aircraft. It has its own rules for placement, unique commands that don't really correspond to existing units, and doesn't really live on the map.

Even if you do invest heavily in aircraft (which the AI can't really do effectively, since again - it's a different system from regular units) it becomes yet another thing that's tedious to manage as you have to constantly rebase your fleet as your front moves.

Espionage: The abstraction of espionage has made it super boring. Spies are super expensive to build and in fact hard-limited, so you never have that many of them. Then, as they're own abstracted system, they have their own "movement" rules, and every operation takes a long time to complete.

When spies were a unit that moved on the map, espionage was a dynamic and interesting system. You could send them to infiltrate enemy empires en masse, stealing technology, sabotaging production, inciting rebellion, or planting nukes. These all felt like really significant things you could do to level the playing field or weaken your enemy.

Now, everything just takes too dang long, and while you can occasionally pull off a super cool operation to flip an enemy city, it takes a massive investment in production (for the spy) and time (to level up your spy so he has a prayer of success). It can easily take several hundred in-game years to successfully pull of a single major operation.

Trade: I'm a little mixed on this one. Making trade a system rather than a unit has the potential for making it much cooler - but the implementation is once again...tedious. It's awesome to have a giant trade city with a zillion trade routes coming through it. It's cool to see the trade routes on the map - I even love the concept of trade routes creating roads. But you have to keep renewing them. You have to manage the most profitable destinations. It's more management. More levers to pull. More systems to manage.

[ YOU'RE NOT DONE COMPLAINING? ]

No, sorry. I have a few miscellaneous things that just bug me.

Forts: are. dumb. In Civ 2 they are absolutely critical - of course because the combat in Civ 2 is wildly imbalanced because if one unit in stack is destroyed...all of them are. But forts prevent that. They are literally game-changing and absolutely integral to protecting your supply lines. In Civ 6, they are...a stat boost. That's it.

Unique Civilizations: I just recently realized that this bugs me. But it does. I recognize how cool it is to play as different civilizations with their own unique flavor - but that's not my civilization. It's me playing as someone else, following abilities and strengths dictated to me, rather than creating my own civilization.

Minimum City Distance: C'mon. I think it's a rule just because the AI is dumb.

No Custom End Era: Ok, this isn't unique to Civ 6. It's been a regular complaint of mine since the beginning. Sometimes I just want an ancient game! Or musketeers and frigates! Let me!

[ A STATIC STORY ]

I guess at the end of the day, my personal bottom line is that the broad-strokes canvas provided by earlier versions of Civ gave me much more memorable games and stories than the hyper systems-focused, incremental lever-pushing direction that the series seems to be following.

----------------

Like my current game of Civ 2. A large map. My civilization, the Gauls (I modded away all the modern civs), shared a continent with the Parthians. A huge continent had almost everyone else. The Funan became a behemoth on that continent, snapping up smaller kingdoms left and right. As these fell, occasionally a new one would spawn.

Meanwhile, the Scythians were an island nation between these two continents. I encountered them when I loaded up a caravel with several caravans of goods and just set off into the unknown to establish trade routes with whoever I encountered. I used my trade relations and occasional gifts to be a technology and map broker. Business was brisk, and helped me stay current with the large empires as I traded for new technologies almost every other turn.

They expanded hyper-aggressively in both directions, eventually meeting the Funan when the divvied up Rome. They also started expanding into the Parthians, with whom I'd had an uneasy peace since they couldn't push back a chokepoint I fortified heavily, leaving me half the continent. I focused on trade, my little Republic slowly expanding into my half while I sent out great navies filled with trade goods.

Multiple spaceships were launched to Alpha Centauri. I wasn't the first, and technically I didn't "win", but that barely mattered. The Funan conquered the Pyu capital, and their agents blew up the Pyu colony ship in deep space.

Eventually, it was these two giants - Funan and Scythia - ruling the world except for my independent republic. They were fighting each other, but vast navies were blockading my ports, and the former Parthian territories on my border were heavily militarized.

My Republic fell to Fundamentalist politics. Profits were cut, but survival was at stake. I had no hope of competing on the sea, but vast fleets of stealth fighters and bombers were built. Millions of paratroopers were trained. And transports with holds full of spies snuck past the enemy fleets while we were still at peace.

Their targets? The great empires' capitals. It took dozens of tries, but eventually a spy was able to plant a nuke in each of them. Then a single sacrificial unit paradropped in to capture the capital in a surprise attack.

Both empires experienced civil wars when their capitals fell. A huge chunk of the Funan split off into the Babylonian empire. A smaller chunk of the Scythians declared independence as the Greeks - including a significant part of the former Parthian lands on my borders. I quickly made friends with these two breakaway nations, and unleashed an enormous army on the remaining Scythians on my continent. I am now engaged in a war of aerial attrition and fire bombing of the Scythian homeland using vast fleets of stealth bombers as my paratroopers follow, then get killed - each battle reducing their homeland further to ash - there are now quite a few "former" city sites.

But I can't compete on the sea, my fleets are still too weak - and despite fielding AEGIS cruisers to protect my transports and aircraft carriers, virtually unlimited barrages of cruise missiles still overwhelm their defenses.

So I'm stuck fortifying my shores and trying to slowly chip away with my superior air force until I can get a strong enough foothold to start airlifting in howitzers and tanks. Maybe I'll be able to trigger another civil war in the Funan - they are still by far the biggest empire, even after their split.

----------------

Or a previous game, where my small Celtic civilization managed to outlast the rest of the world by triggering a continuous climate change feedback loop through never-ending nuclear holocaust. Eventually the rest of the world was so riven by starvation and disorder that I was able to raze multiple empires, and the barbarians captured the rest of the desertified and swamp-ridden world.

----------------

The Civ 6 games that have stuck with me are very few. They have occurred - I have a favorite memory of reducing almost an entire continent to near-permanent free city status. Overall, despite the dynamism of the map itself and the early game, each game starts to follow the same old story from the mid onwards. All the systems and tedium make me more relieved when the game is over than enjoying the ride throughout.

Earlier iterations felt like they had space for much more dynamic events - civilizations re-spawning, civil wars, barbarian cities off in the corners (because there was space for that!), flooding an opponent with trade caravans then buying a wonder outright, wonders lost to history when their city is razed, a transport running the gauntlet of enemy ships to drop a huge army off before getting blown up...etc etc etc.

But I guess it comes down to the late game - it always does, doesn't it? In Civ 2, I'm excited as the tech tree runs out because the sandbox toys have just gotten cooler - not more tedious.

[ WRAP UP ]

If you made it this far - wow, thanks for reading my ramblings!

I've played a ton of Civ 6, and tinkered with it even more. There's lots about it I think is cool, and honestly the early game is pretty unmatched. I don't begrudge anyone who loves it and wants more of it. I think there are quite a few things I've complained about here that many of you probably enjoy quite a lot - and that's great.

Maybe it's me, not Civ. But regardless, I'm less and less enamored with the trajectory of the series, and the only one I keep coming back to over the years is Civ 2. Thankfully, I can keep coming back to it.

And who am I kidding - I will follow the development and release of Civ 7 with great interest - I'll might buy it, too. Maybe not - I didn't get Diablo IV - maybe it really is just me.

Anyways, Civ has been great to me. But maybe it's time for me to step off. The rest of you, keep having fun.

No, that's Blizzard jumping the shark.
It's often a good idea to stay away from their products these days, as their main focus seems to be to just monetize a product, but not necessarily making a good product.
I don't know about Diablo - I've never liked the gameplay style of the old Gauntlet arcade game of the '80's which they pretty much revivied with that series - but WoW is definitely moving back to track with Dragonflight, in my opinion. I was never interested in Overwatch, or the Team Fortress-style of game, in general.

Recently, I've been itching to play some Civilization again - but I found it interesting that I had no interest in returning to Civ 6. Rather, Civ 2 (the iteration I first hopped on board the series) that I returned to.

That got me thinking as to why that iteration is the one that has stuck with me, and realized that the trajectory of the series as a whole - and culminating in Civ 6 - has trended away from my own personal tastes. If Civ 7 is a continuation of the Civ 5/6 trajectory (and I see no reason to think it won't be) then it might be the first one I skip.
Civ2 is my personal favourite, too, and the one I played first on my own computer (I played Civ1 a few times on someone else's, prior). Unfortunately, and bizarrely, last I heard, Civ2, one of the best-selling computer games in history, and a watermark of the industry, is not currently available for legal retail purchase or download, except in the shareware market, though @Blake00 and some others have been trying to organize online petitions to have versions on GoG and/or Steam available.

It's not just you.
And, IMHO, it's not just Civ VI.

The trend I've noticed in the last 4 - 10 years is that there are a few extremely good and addictive games, and a lot of Computer Dreck masquerading as Games.
What's caused it, I think, are a couple of things.

First is our perceptions. In many ways, we gamers are spoiled by the success of the Great Old Games to expect the same level of Wonder that we got from them, and that's a very, very High Bar for the gaming industry.

But second, I suspect, is another aspect: the success of computer games in general. It's a huge business, involving thousands of developers and generating millions in sales. I saw something similar happen in fantasy fiction, both as a reader since the 1960s and as a seller working in bookstores for almost 20 years: Tolkien, Rowling, et al made it a hugely popular form of fiction so that just about every yoyo who could string a noun, a verb, and multitudes of adjectives together thought they could get rich writing Fantasy.
And so they wrote, and produced some very good stories, and a mass of writing that should have gone straight to Compost but, alas, didn't.

Let's face it: once Big Corps got involved in gaming to make Big Money, the gaming industry went the way of Hollywood: Too much money involved for anyone to dare to take a risk and try something really new or (Gasp!) Creative, so everybody churns out Pretty Graphics and SOT* Play

So, we have 50 year old board game mechanics disguised as 'new' computer game systems, and monetarization (which I regard as simply Get The Cash Fast Before They Realize The Game Is Guano) and 'historical' or 'historically based' games in which the research appears to have stopped after a couple of Wiki articles and a copy of History For Dummies. And, alas, it all sells just well enough to keep more of it coming.

And I can't avoid the perception that none of the developers ever actually played their games much, or they could not have missed how Lame many of them are to play, and how much lamer they get the longer you try to play them - case in point, as the OP mentioned, Civ VI after about 100 - 150 turns at almost any speed, on any map, with any Civ and/or Leader.

Ending Rant now, to go back and wrestle some more with my new town of Llareggub in Farthest Frontier - Medievalish city-building complete with Compost to spread on the farm fields: Thank God my computer can't render in-game smells!

* = Same Old Thing

A lot of good thoughts from the OP here. Certainly, there are things in there that many of us can agree with. A mini novella of my own below (Forgive me!)

Micro to Macro

This is a really good observation. The kind of micromanagement you can easily and eagerly handle in the first few eras of the game gets to be terribly tedious when you've got 15+ cities in your empire, 20+ trade routes, etc. As strategy gamers, we look for those points to play cleverly gain advantage. This means we feel compelled to do the micromanagement, to choose each and every building, to check and ensure your tiles are being worked optimally in each city, etc. But by the end of the game, you don't want to be bogged down by the sheer repetition of it all in a big empire, and if you stay small, you've got nothing to do in the late game but hit "Next turn" and wait for the VC to complete. We've all been there.

But how do you fix it? How do you design the game to allow you to keep making choices that matter, but not bog you down with meaningless decisions? And how do you ensure you have enough meaningful decisions to make to make turns exciting and interesting all the way to the end of the game?

I think some of that can be answered with districts and map tacks. In many games, they develop "governors" that manage cities with AI, but that always comes with all of the disadvantages of letting an algorithm run your empire. You don't really want that. You want to make the meaningful decisions. What if you could set a plan for a city's development in advance? What if you could have a more directed AI governor? Use a system like map tacks to plan out where you want your districts, wonders, and tile improvements. You could set priorities for those things and let the AI manage the queue. As new buildings within the districts open up, it would handle it. You could alter the plan anytime, but it's a set-it-and-forget-it concept. But, say you just got a surprise war and now you need to make military units, you could switch production and have the AI take back over as soon as you get your new military unit out. This way you've made all the meaningful choices, but your late game city management is streamlined and you're making only the meaningful choices.

That clears the busy work, but what about the "Next turn" problem? I think that has to be fixed in the victory condition (VC) design. It's good to have lots of different VCs. It encourages different play styles and the need to balance the various subsystems of the game, rather than just beelining one and ignoring the rest. Right now, they're a bit too simplistic. I think we need to think of the VCs as their own mini-game that you play in order to pursue that type of victory. So much of Civ 6's VCs now are passive. They're achieved just by playing the game normally, not by doing something explicitly to advance a VC. You're always going to advance the science tree, right? If you get a religion, you're always going to spread it. The VCs need to be deliberate. They need to require dedicated effort to complete, ideally with things you can do all game, not just in the last few eras. And I'd like to see them less dependent on getting specific wonders like cultural victory is in Civ 6. Probably the worst offender is the diplomatic victory. All you do is cheese the World Congress for points until you get 16+ and time building the Statue of Liberty right so you get those last 4 points before the WC can meet again and vote to strip away your points. I actually disable the VC because it's so easy to cheese. This should involve constant diplomatic effort throughout the game to build alliances, craft consensus, lead regional or global responses to various events that pop up. Do you build anything to help you advance this VC? Do you play differently? Do you build or manage your cities differently? You should.

Imagine if victory conditions asked you to use all of the various game systems to advance that goal in some way. Seek out certain tile improvements, build certain buildings preferentially, spend your various points on specific goals, run different city projects, interact with other players differently, use espionage to advance that goal in various ways, etc. The Monopolies and Corporations game mode gives us an insight to how that might work for an economic victory. It's not just building CHs and Harbors like you normally do, but actively managing your trade and control of resources. If you want a science victory, you want to be making discoveries throughout the game, stealing tech from other empires, building research-related tile improvements, etc. Ideally, it'd be more than just the space race, and you'd need to design it in a way that you can't accomplish these things while simply moving up through the tech tree incidentally as you do during the game. Dedicated effort, not just something you run into by properly managing an empire, and it would provide you with things you can do every turn until victory so it's not just clicking "Next turn."

Air Units

If we think of them as ranged units with really long ranges, but which can only move onto city tiles or tiles with airstrips, that makes sense. You can't move them around like an infantry unit or a tank. But I do understand the complaints about the other mechanics. With over 2000 hours in Civ 6, I still don't understand what the Deploy order really does. The only time I ever build a fighter or use it is if I have a civ with a unique one, and then it's for show so I can get the era points for building the UU. I use the fighters like bombers and that's about it. I struggle to even put forward suggestions because frankly I've never once had the AI attack me with an air unit.

All I can really say is that if it's going to be in the game, it needs to serve a purpose. And the AI needs to at least attempt to utilize it for that purpose.

Espionage

I agree here that it doesn't quite live up to its potential. Personally, I'd re-envision espionage as an anti-snowball mechanic. Spies are what you use to target the runaway civ on the other continent on the other side of the world. They're what the little civs that got stomped on in the early game use to catch up. Steal tech. Steal money to rebuild your empire. Sabotage the leader's production to slow him down. Foment disloyalty, etc. If you're the world leader, you think about putting a lot of your spies into counter-espionage because you're the one with the target on your chest, but that means you're not gaining more advantage than you already have.

I also think the range of things you can do with spies needs to be expanded. If there's a district, you should be able to do something to disrupt it. Right now, many of the AIs don't build much that serves as juicy spy targets. If there's no commercial hub, IZ, dam, or neighborhood, you don't have many options. Foment unrest is useless unless the city's already in danger of flipping, and that's almost never. If you have tech parity or advantage, the campuses aren't targets. And most AIs won't have theaters, let alone have something in them that you'd want to take. It's quite common for me to look and not really want to do anything with my spies because there's nothing that's worth the risk of failing and taking the diplomacy penalty.

Forts

Agreed. I almost never build them in Civ 6. Why? Because I have to keep a unit there to gain from them. If I don't, an enemy invades and gets to use my fort for his bonus. My asset just became a liability. It's better not to have the things in my empire. The only ones I regularly build are alcazars and that's for the tile bonuses.

Custom End Era

Yup. It would be nice to be able to play this kind of a game out, but you'd need to define a win condition. This would probably end up being domination or score and might take out some of the balance that comes with having to manage all of the various game systems. Why invest in science if you've unlocked all the era's tech and can't advance? Lots of potential unintendeds here to think about.

Custom Civs

I hesitate on this one. A core part of the Civ experience is getting to play as a historical empire and seeing if you can live up to the greatness of the historical empire or surpass it. Of course, you're going to play as an archetype from history. I very much enjoy that experience. And frankly, within the game itself, you have tremendous freedom to play however you'd like. Playing Mongols doesn't oblige you to go on a bloody Medieval conquering spree does it? You can do it, but you can just as easily go a different route. I've won SV and CVs with them, for example. The option to play your own way is built in.

But I also understand the idea of wanting to craft your own empire. It's not unreasonable to want to pick your own leader bonus and civ bonuses. A lot of games offer that. If we think about the Workshop and mod support, you can easily make your own civ just like this and the game is very supportive. So, why not just bake that in to the base game? Just have a screen where you have the option to build your own custom civ right there in game. When you go to create a game, you could select a default civ or play your custom one. You could do this either completely free-form with no restrictions, so you could easily create OP empires and then limit those to single player or multiplayer if the host allows it. Or you could set up a point system for the various civ bonuses and let a player select from a wide range of options, each with its own weight, but adding up to the same overall power number so that it balances in line with the standard civs' bonuses. If you want the really great UU, you may have to give up the tile improvement, or take a weaker leader ability.

It certainly worth putting on a slate of features that might be in an expansion or DLC even if it's not baked into the base game.

I like the way you think haha. Feel free to drop by the old Civilization 2 area of this forum should you wish to talk about your recent games further. Bit quieter these days but there's still a whole bunch of us making mods/scenarios and I'm also working on preserving thousands of lost scenarios made for it too.

Unfortunately, and bizarrely, last I heard, Civ2, one of the best-selling computer games in history, and a watermark of the industry, is not currently available for legal retail purchase or download, except in the shareware market, though @Blake00 and some others have been trying to organize online petitions to have versions on GoG and/or Steam available.
Yup here's the thread if anyone wants to help and vote to get Civ1 & 2 back in stores on GoG and Steam as the situation is indeed quite bizarre!

And I can't avoid the perception that none of the developers ever actually played their games much, or they could not have missed how Lame many of them are to play
:yup:Yes. I have the same impression. This was very different, with the development of the first versions of the Civ series, here per example the story of the development of Civ 1 in The Chronicles of Civilization documentation:

Sid.jpg

Last edited:
That got me thinking as to why that iteration is the one that has stuck with me, and realized that the trajectory of the series as a whole - and culminating in Civ 6 - has trended away from my own personal tastes.
... and Civ 5 and partly Civ 4, too.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, and it's great to see you post again!

I agree with most of your criticisms, but I'm still excited for Civ 7 and hope they've learned a lot of important lessons from 5 and 6.
Nice to see you too, pok! I'll always be excited to see what the next iteration of Civ looks like regardless if I feel like it's for me :)
Civ2 is my personal favourite, too, and the one I played first on my own computer (I played Civ1 a few times on someone else's, prior). Unfortunately, and bizarrely, last I heard, Civ2, one of the best-selling computer games in history, and a watermark of the industry, is not currently available for legal retail purchase or download, except in the shareware market, though @Blake00 and some others have been trying to organize online petitions to have versions on GoG and/or Steam available.
I was fortunate in that I was able to get my hands on a disk copy of Civ2 some years back, and have maintained a digital backup of it ever since.
The trend I've noticed in the last 4 - 10 years is that there are a few extremely good and addictive games, and a lot of Computer Dreck masquerading as Games.
I think you are correct - it's hard to wade through the drivel to find the gems, but fortunately (?) the sheer quantity of games means there are some good ones to be found. I've encountered quite a few indie titles which I've loved, but (as you say) very few AAA games appeal to me these days.
I like the way you think haha. Feel free to drop by the old Civilization 2 area of this forum should you wish to talk about your recent games further. Bit quieter these days but there's still a whole bunch of us making mods/scenarios and I'm also working on preserving thousands of lost scenarios made for it too.
Awesome! Yeah - I might drop in and say hello at some point!

@Catalytic - I appreciate your thoughtful reply - I'll be very interested to see what sort of approach Firaxis takes towards Civ 7 and if they address any of these issues.

My favorites in the series are Civ IV and V. I like both for different reasons, but the preferences for me can be distilled down to something I feel Civ VI lost - interesting and impactful choices.

Civ VI has a lot of different mechanics that give bonuses and can be mixed and matched in endless ways. Yet, if I play a game through and ignore a lot of those, it doesn't make a huge difference for me. So much of Civ VI is just busywork that becomes tedious towards the late game.

Additionally, I dislike the Civ VI diplomacy system (I really enjoyed the Civ V diplomacy/government system) and the fact that air/naval units are generally useless makes wars against the AI far too easy.

I hope Civ VII reaches back to IV and V for inspiration more than VI.

First is our perceptions. In many ways, we gamers are spoiled by the success of the Great Old Games to expect the same level of Wonder that we got from them, and that's a very, very High Bar for the gaming industry.
Yes. That's why I tried to figure out ways to make Civ greater, to reproduce the wow effect that we got when we first felt on it. One of this way is to make the game more amazing, with technology power, not just another random 4X with mechanics and stuff. For that, for example, I don't think "Leader Heads" are very wanted.

Civ6 is incredibly frustrating, if you've ever had a game where something seems wrong with the weather events generator (it gets 'stuck', triggering drought after drought/flood after flood/blizzard after blizzard in the early game or in a particular place for almost the entire game, crippling you) or it's impossible to win from turn one (e.g. Canada is on another island and its neighbours do nothing to stop it winning a diplo victory) but you aren't able to work that out until you've invested several hours in the game ... it's almost enough to override the fun elements of the game and make you want to stop playing civ ever again.

I recently got a bit more perspective by replaying older civ games, and because their flaws are even more glaring I lightened up on Civ6 a bit. Civ7 will probably be a significant improvement making Civ6 completely unbearable to play ever again!

My favorites in the series are Civ IV and V. I like both for different reasons, but the preferences for me can be distilled down to something I feel Civ VI lost - interesting and impactful choices.

Civ VI has a lot of different mechanics that give bonuses and can be mixed and matched in endless ways. Yet, if I play a game through and ignore a lot of those, it doesn't make a huge difference for me.

Civ6 is full of 'deceptive' choices ... meaningless ones, or ones that are so suboptimal you were never use them.

There are certain gameplay decisions you have to make otherwise lose the game, which means they aren't 'choices' - if you either do it or lose that's not a choice.

Thanks for your thought, @thecrazyscot. I also came back to Civ2 recently. It was my first Civ game, too. I also understand many of your frustrations with Civ6 though I don't judge it so harshly.
For me, Civ2 has two principal advantages: It was easier for the AI to wage war (see for instance the clone C-Evo) where the AI gives you really a hard time! In a good game the AI civs could really threaten you.
Secondly, it was much easier to mod the game and so a vast network of scenario designers sprang up, producing really cool historical and fantasy scenarios (up until Civ4). That's the principal reason I went back to Civ2. From Civ5 onwards scenario design was really to complicated and needed too much programming knowledge (and lack of modding tools) for a bigger fanbase to produce good scenarios (mods, yes, but mostly just new civs and small tweaks).
For Civ7 to be really interesting, I'd like the developers to simplify the war game and to really invest in modding tools (rule changes, Maps, scenario building, etc.). That way the AI could at least get a chance at competing with you.

Last edited:
Considering I played 6 more than any other in the series (including 2- I was around back then too), I'm not likely to be "done". Though I do worry about some trends like "live service models". I wasn't impressed with the leaders pack (though it was free so it wasn't a big deal) or the Frontier Pack. Proper expansions is still the way to go.

I do hear you about being "slow". And I still think this is a problem with 1upt. But I still get enough enjoyment out of it to be worth it.

As for Civ 2, I doubt I could go back. I am impressed you got it working on a modern computer. I loved it at the time, but too many things would annoy me about it. I just remember the AI always settling right next to your cities. I know I tried playing Civ 3, 4, and 5 at least once in the last 5 or 6 years, and I never finished a single game of either. I just can't go back.

As for Civ 6, I'm not currently playing. I'm pretty much done with it. But eventually I'll get around to playing the last 3 leaders of the leader pack so it feels "complete". But without comprehensive overhaul mods, I can't see myself playing much more than that.

Considering I played 6 more than any other in the series (including 2- I was around back then too), I'm not likely to be "done". Though I do worry about some trends like "live service models". I wasn't impressed with the leaders pack (though it was free so it wasn't a big deal) or the Frontier Pack. Proper expansions is still the way to go.

I do hear you about being "slow". And I still think this is a problem with 1upt. But I still get enough enjoyment out of it to be worth it.

As for Civ 2, I doubt I could go back. I am impressed you got it working on a modern computer. I loved it at the time, but too many things would annoy me about it. I just remember the AI always settling right next to your cities. I know I tried playing Civ 3, 4, and 5 at least once in the last 5 or 6 years, and I never finished a single game of either. I just can't go back.

As for Civ 6, I'm not currently playing. I'm pretty much done with it. But eventually I'll get around to playing the last 3 leaders of the leader pack so it feels "complete". But without comprehensive overhaul mods, I can't see myself playing much more than that.

I jut started up my first new game of 6 after the latest patch, for the first time in maybe 4 or 5 months. At least it's not too bad just enjoying some parts of the game, but getting a little tired. But that being said, it's been a good long run, and similarly I've probably got more hours in 6 than any other iteration (although I know I got a lot in for 4 back in the day). But there's just too many good, new systems that I could never go back to the older games.

But I agree with a lot of the above, that I think the game definitely needs a better system for managing the game in the middle or later eras. Once you get like 100 turns in, my patience for moving governors around, setting up trade routes, and even the basic stuff like moving around builders and building the basic infrastructure in a city, just becomes tedious. It doesn't help that district scaling costs really make it so that a number of your mid to late cities require you to either put a lot of effort in to get them off the ground, or you simply use them as a resource city and ignore them completely. So often I just pop a city, set it to build a monument and granary, and then I like forget about it for like 40 turns. If I actually spent some effort, I could have gotten it off the ground early and had it be productive. But honestly, most of the time I just can't be bothered.

And I think a lot of that is that a lot of the bonuses in the game also don't scale. Like, you get the same adjacency for placing a campus in 3000 BC as you do in 1500 AD. So early, if your civ is only making 15 science a turn, the difference between a +1 campus and a +3 campus is huge. But when your civ is getting 250 science a turn? it's a rounding error. And the campus that you build in 1500 AD costs like 6x more than that early one due to district scaling costs.

. My civilization, the Gauls (I modded away all the modern civs

I've done that myself.

I made the Israelites, Gangstaz, Yahoos, and Canadians. Also modified the mk.dll file to have the right pictures (including prime Shania for the Canadians).

The customization is one great thing about Civ 2. The balance is the other. Everything you do comes at a price.

I recognize that they are indeed my own personal tastes, and don't begrudge anyone their continued enjoyment of Civ 6 (and Civ 7!) - but if the series continues this way, it is likely not for me any more, from a playing or modding perspective. I'll be comparing Civ 6 to Civ 2 in this post, mostly because that's the one I'm playing right now. I know for a lot of people Civ 4 is their high-water mark. That's the great thing about the series, isn't it? There are enough iterations that everyone can still play their favorite.

So, in too many words, here are my thoughts, most of which have probably been seen before.

[ SLOWED TO A CRAWL ]

Civ 6 late game is a tedious crawl towards the finish. This is not a surprise to anyone - everyone knows this is one of the biggest issues with the game.

Scientific and cultural victories pretty much come down to just clicking "End Turn" over and over again until the end.

So you can go full warmonger or proselytizer, which makes the late game more interesting simply because you interact with the game more. This has its own set of problems, though, which is that waging war in the late game is a logistical nightmare.

The bottom line is that once you hit the Industrial era, the game shifts gears down to first as the combined managerial weight of a large empire and lots of units makes each turn take forever, as you play shuffle with your army and curse as your building queues all empty at the same time so you have to go through each city again as you set up your queues.

OR

You have a tightly run, small empire pushing for science or culture and the managerial weight of each turn becomes an obstacle to simply clicking "End Turn" as you try to warp-speed your way to victory, but the game systems keep getting in the way.

-------------

Which is a giant shame, because Civ 6 does the early game so well. The game captures the sense of discovery better than any iteration in the series, and watching your humble tribe spread and fill the land with buildings and improvements is tremendously satisfying.

I'm tired of resigning myself to quitting each game half way through when the fun stops or gritting my teeth to actually finish.

[ A SHRINKING WORLD ]

I suspect, the game intentionally tries to slow you down due to its reduced map sizes and the increased importance of a single unit due to the combat system. It spawns a vicious cycle, though.

Enforcing 1 unit per tile makes moving a large army long distances incredibly tedious, so...
Make the maps smaller!
Smaller maps can fill up with units really quickly, so...
Make units take longer to build!
Units take a long time to build, but the player still wants to get them in the action, so...
Make the maps smaller!

I realize this is incredibly simplistic and the actual design considerations were carefully thought through by the team, but I think the end result is suboptimal. The tedium of large empire management also contributes to the decision to make maps smaller, I'm sure.

Previous versions of Civ allowed for huge, sprawling maps where enormous empires would span continents and there would still be room to expand. Things just felt more...epic, in a sense. You got this feeling of the actual clash of empires across the globe, while in Civ 6 it's like everything has been condensed down to a localized conflict area. Even the localized scale feels too big, sometimes, while simultaneously feeling very cramped.

[ ALL SYSTEMS GO ]

Lots of things which were previously "on-map units" have been abstracted. I'm sure in the interests of reducing unit clutter and trying to streamline things - and to be fair, Civ 6 didn't start the abstraction of several of these. But nonetheless, the abstraction of several game systems has made them far more passive and as a result vastly more uninteresting.

Airforce: I will never, for the life of me, understand why they've made aircraft so boring. As it's own self-contained system, first you have to figure out how to even use aircraft. It has its own rules for placement, unique commands that don't really correspond to existing units, and doesn't really live on the map.

Even if you do invest heavily in aircraft (which the AI can't really do effectively, since again - it's a different system from regular units) it becomes yet another thing that's tedious to manage as you have to constantly rebase your fleet as your front moves.

Espionage: The abstraction of espionage has made it super boring. Spies are super expensive to build and in fact hard-limited, so you never have that many of them. Then, as they're own abstracted system, they have their own "movement" rules, and every operation takes a long time to complete.

When spies were a unit that moved on the map, espionage was a dynamic and interesting system. You could send them to infiltrate enemy empires en masse, stealing technology, sabotaging production, inciting rebellion, or planting nukes. These all felt like really significant things you could do to level the playing field or weaken your enemy.

Now, everything just takes too dang long, and while you can occasionally pull off a super cool operation to flip an enemy city, it takes a massive investment in production (for the spy) and time (to level up your spy so he has a prayer of success). It can easily take several hundred in-game years to successfully pull of a single major operation.

Trade: I'm a little mixed on this one. Making trade a system rather than a unit has the potential for making it much cooler - but the implementation is once again...tedious. It's awesome to have a giant trade city with a zillion trade routes coming through it. It's cool to see the trade routes on the map - I even love the concept of trade routes creating roads. But you have to keep renewing them. You have to manage the most profitable destinations. It's more management. More levers to pull. More systems to manage.

[ YOU'RE NOT DONE COMPLAINING? ]

No, sorry. I have a few miscellaneous things that just bug me.

Forts: are. dumb. In Civ 2 they are absolutely critical - of course because the combat in Civ 2 is wildly imbalanced because if one unit in stack is destroyed...all of them are. But forts prevent that. They are literally game-changing and absolutely integral to protecting your supply lines. In Civ 6, they are...a stat boost. That's it.

Unique Civilizations: I just recently realized that this bugs me. But it does. I recognize how cool it is to play as different civilizations with their own unique flavor - but that's not my civilization. It's me playing as someone else, following abilities and strengths dictated to me, rather than creating my own civilization.

Minimum City Distance: C'mon. I think it's a rule just because the AI is dumb.

No Custom End Era: Ok, this isn't unique to Civ 6. It's been a regular complaint of mine since the beginning. Sometimes I just want an ancient game! Or musketeers and frigates! Let me!

[ A STATIC STORY ]

I guess at the end of the day, my personal bottom line is that the broad-strokes canvas provided by earlier versions of Civ gave me much more memorable games and stories than the hyper systems-focused, incremental lever-pushing direction that the series seems to be following.

----------------

Like my current game of Civ 2. A large map. My civilization, the Gauls (I modded away all the modern civs), shared a continent with the Parthians. A huge continent had almost everyone else. The Funan became a behemoth on that continent, snapping up smaller kingdoms left and right. As these fell, occasionally a new one would spawn.

Meanwhile, the Scythians were an island nation between these two continents. I encountered them when I loaded up a caravel with several caravans of goods and just set off into the unknown to establish trade routes with whoever I encountered. I used my trade relations and occasional gifts to be a technology and map broker. Business was brisk, and helped me stay current with the large empires as I traded for new technologies almost every other turn.

They expanded hyper-aggressively in both directions, eventually meeting the Funan when the divvied up Rome. They also started expanding into the Parthians, with whom I'd had an uneasy peace since they couldn't push back a chokepoint I fortified heavily, leaving me half the continent. I focused on trade, my little Republic slowly expanding into my half while I sent out great navies filled with trade goods.

Multiple spaceships were launched to Alpha Centauri. I wasn't the first, and technically I didn't "win", but that barely mattered. The Funan conquered the Pyu capital, and their agents blew up the Pyu colony ship in deep space.

Eventually, it was these two giants - Funan and Scythia - ruling the world except for my independent republic. They were fighting each other, but vast navies were blockading my ports, and the former Parthian territories on my border were heavily militarized.

My Republic fell to Fundamentalist politics. Profits were cut, but survival was at stake. I had no hope of competing on the sea, but vast fleets of stealth fighters and bombers were built. Millions of paratroopers were trained. And transports with holds full of spies snuck past the enemy fleets while we were still at peace.

Their targets? The great empires' capitals. It took dozens of tries, but eventually a spy was able to plant a nuke in each of them. Then a single sacrificial unit paradropped in to capture the capital in a surprise attack.

Both empires experienced civil wars when their capitals fell. A huge chunk of the Funan split off into the Babylonian empire. A smaller chunk of the Scythians declared independence as the Greeks - including a significant part of the former Parthian lands on my borders. I quickly made friends with these two breakaway nations, and unleashed an enormous army on the remaining Scythians on my continent. I am now engaged in a war of aerial attrition and fire bombing of the Scythian homeland using vast fleets of stealth bombers as my paratroopers follow, then get killed - each battle reducing their homeland further to ash - there are now quite a few "former" city sites.

But I can't compete on the sea, my fleets are still too weak - and despite fielding AEGIS cruisers to protect my transports and aircraft carriers, virtually unlimited barrages of cruise missiles still overwhelm their defenses.

So I'm stuck fortifying my shores and trying to slowly chip away with my superior air force until I can get a strong enough foothold to start airlifting in howitzers and tanks. Maybe I'll be able to trigger another civil war in the Funan - they are still by far the biggest empire, even after their split.

----------------

Or a previous game, where my small Celtic civilization managed to outlast the rest of the world by triggering a continuous climate change feedback loop through never-ending nuclear holocaust. Eventually the rest of the world was so riven by starvation and disorder that I was able to raze multiple empires, and the barbarians captured the rest of the desertified and swamp-ridden world.

----------------

The Civ 6 games that have stuck with me are very few. They have occurred - I have a favorite memory of reducing almost an entire continent to near-permanent free city status. Overall, despite the dynamism of the map itself and the early game, each game starts to follow the same old story from the mid onwards. All the systems and tedium make me more relieved when the game is over than enjoying the ride throughout.

Earlier iterations felt like they had space for much more dynamic events - civilizations re-spawning, civil wars, barbarian cities off in the corners (because there was space for that!), flooding an opponent with trade caravans then buying a wonder outright, wonders lost to history when their city is razed, a transport running the gauntlet of enemy ships to drop a huge army off before getting blown up...etc etc etc.

But I guess it comes down to the late game - it always does, doesn't it? In Civ 2, I'm excited as the tech tree runs out because the sandbox toys have just gotten cooler - not more tedious.

[ WRAP UP ]

If you made it this far - wow, thanks for reading my ramblings!

I've played a ton of Civ 6, and tinkered with it even more. There's lots about it I think is cool, and honestly the early game is pretty unmatched. I don't begrudge anyone who loves it and wants more of it. I think there are quite a few things I've complained about here that many of you probably enjoy quite a lot - and that's great.

Maybe it's me, not Civ. But regardless, I'm less and less enamored with the trajectory of the series, and the only one I keep coming back to over the years is Civ 2. Thankfully, I can keep coming back to it.

And who am I kidding - I will follow the development and release of Civ 7 with great interest - I'll might buy it, too. Maybe not - I didn't get Diablo IV - maybe it really is just me.

Anyways, Civ has been great to me. But maybe it's time for me to step off. The rest of you, keep having fun.
Thanks for the post. It's exactly what I was looking for. I saw civ6 sitting in my steam library with about an hour of playtime. Now I know it will stay that way.

Top Bottom