Civics feel underwhelming

You take the ones you aren't going to use or use any time soon (especially the dead-ends on the tree) and when you are one turn away from getting them, you switch to research a different one. Save the ones with a single turn left for when you want to make a quick free policy switch.

That's interesting. I believe what you quoted was in reference to anarchy from switching governments, which isn't quite the same as switching policies. But a cool idea to save gold!

I kind of liked the Civ5 policies system - they provided a discrete goal to work towards. The Civ6 civics are less structured and require choosing from a big mishmash of different playing cards.

Choosing a civic should be an achievement, but swapping existing civics for others in an opportunistic way gives no sense of achievement or progression towards completing a plan.

Sure it's more flexible, but I feel that something was lost in the process.

In Civ5, I tried to get as much culture as possible, in order to complete more policy branches. But in Civ6, I'm not really caring all that much about culture since there's only so many civics you can activate at any one time, and I don't really have a goal I'm aiming to work towards.

Last edited:
I love the new system. It's more fun to play, more representative of government, and opens up some interesting choices.

Some of the policies could be balanced a little, but the overall system I think is a huge step forward.

I think they are pretty powerful. Eurecas, 100% to naval unit construction, 50% to melee/ranged - unless you keep up with science you wont have this for new eras. Also, getting 50% off settlers is one of the first things I aim for, to aid expansion and save hammers.

Some of the synergies are just great. Play as Scythia, beeline horseback riding and military tradition, pick maneuver social policy card. Destroy everyone.

If you feel you are just swapping around cards without any meaning or strategy, maybe the problem isn't the system itself? Maybe you should try to find some powerful synergies within the system?

Finding the right card can be a pain sometimes, but overall I love this system, and it's much better than Civ5 (although I still think I prefer Civ4).

Although I find myself using the same policies overall. I still don't know what's best for my situation. Should I pick the one that increases adjacency bonuses or go with a flat 100% to district buildings? I'm never sure about such things. Often I just go for things that straight up give me money or reduce time for workers or settlers.

Hi,

Played a few hours, and am I the only one who's finding Civics a bit underwhelming? You get a couple of cards, and maybe unlock something else, but it just doesn't feel half as good as getting a new Policy in Civ V.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah, the only ones I find exciting are the ones that allow me to change Governments. I guess I'll have a closer look at it next time.

I was in the same place couple hours in. As I approach double digits in hours played, I'm getting to where others are at in the thread. Their strength is apparent the more I understand the system and the constraints.

I kind of liked the Civ5 policies system - they provided a discrete goal to work towards. The Civ6 civics are less structured and require choosing from a big mishmash of different playing cards.

Choosing a civic should be an achievement, but swapping existing civics for others in an opportunistic way gives no sense of achievement or progression towards completing a plan.

Sure it's more flexible, but I feel that something was lost in the process.

In Civ5, I tried to get as much culture as possible, in order to complete more policy branches. But in Civ6, I'm not really caring all that much about culture since there's only so many civics you can activate at any one time, and I don't really have a goal I'm aiming to work towards.

I can relate, definitely had this feeling early. In CiVI I may not switch policies even though I have the option. In Civ V I could not wait to choose the next policy.

For me a large part of this is getting my bearings in terms of the various mechanics. Still pretty late in reactions. As I've understood the game more I'm able to plan things out better. Expansion wave with next policy change, make sure I have builder and settler policies discovered. Possible war, may be good to detour to unlock appropriate policies.

Haven't even begun to delve into the various district policies yet, but I anticipate they will be just as useful when I'm ready...

Some of the synergies are just great. Play as Scythia, beeline horseback riding and military tradition, pick maneuver social policy card. Destroy everyone.

Outstanding. Did it play out as well in game as it looked pre-release ?

I am amazed how many people are putting constructive thoughts into their replies. Nice work Civfanatics.

It will probably be something that we find in the next couple of months is very powerful. Boosts are massive to staying ahead in this game. Figuring out which cards to use when to get both Science and Civic boosts will be part of the game. What I think the "small" but frequent system in the new Civic branch does that the Policy system didn't allow is the ability to alter your strategy as the game plays out. I just hope it doesn't become the 4 city Tradition or Rationalism "choice" where there is a best path you take nearly every time. Rebalance the cards every 3-6 months but keep them varied enough so that you have to play your position and not just a rote strategy.

Outstanding. Did it play out as well in game as it looked pre-release ?

Yes it did, it was only on emperor, but I managed to take out Japan and Spain who forward settled me really bad.

What also really helped was to get a government with a wildcard slot for the conscription policy to reduce maintenance costs.

However they need to change the sum you get from selling units. If you sell a couple of the 2-for-1 saka horse archers, the hammer/gold ratio is completely insane and you don't need to care for maintenance at all. I do consider that an exploit however, and chose not to use it.

Top Bottom