Natural Wonder Yields Post Patch

AbbieRevo

Non-Voting Delegate
I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to list all the New Yields for Natural Wonders post patch. Thanks!

I'm not going to be able to play, or even check it out for a couple days, and I'm curious.

New:

Cerro de Potosi
10 Gold

El Dorado
5 Culture
(First to discover receives 500 gold)

Fountain of Youth
10 Happy
(Any unit that walks next to it gets a permanent +50% Heal Rate promotion

Old:

Barrier Reef
2 Food, 1 Production, 1 Gold, 2 Science

Barringer Crater
2 Gold, 3 Science

Fuji
1 Gold, 5 Culture

Gibraltar
2 Food, 5 Gold

Krakatoa
5 Science

Mesa
2 Production, 3 Gold

Old Faithful
2 Science, 3 Happy

I've started playing a new game, and thus far I've ran into the Baringer Crater and the Silver Mines of Potosí (a new National Wonder). They yield 2Gold/3Science and 10Gold respectively.

From what I remember from the others, Krakatoa yiels Five Science, El Dorado gives 10 culture and the Great Barrier Reef 1 of Production, Food and Culture, two Science and three Gold. The others I don't remember, unforch.

In general though, they'll only yield one bonus (Science, Culture, Production, Food, Gold, Culture) in large quantities or two of these in smaller quanities (usually half of the large ones). Except the formerly mentionned Great Barrier Reef.

Just from the top of my head. It may contain some errors though.

ETA: Turingmachine beat me to it, dammit! :hammer:

I ran into an unclaimed Fountain of Youth today in 1000 AD next to Hiawatha. Hovering my mouse over it for the first time, my eyes near popped out when I saw +10 happiness. Needless to say, I immediately rushed a settler over there and claimed it. Got into Hiawatha's bad graces and a war broke out a dozen turns later. These natural wonders are very very interesting....

Does the AI recognize their power? I'd think that I'd go to war to capture some of them.

If they're in the disputed territory, they're not overpowered, they're an incentive for expansion. If you run into one by luck near your territory, then, yeah, it's overpowered.

The effects are interesting. I'm trying to think of more historically accurate replacements, though.

I have a question about the Fountain of Youth. It says that units that stand next to heal twice as fast for the rest of the game. Do you heal twice as fast after moving away from the Fountain of Youth? Does it stack with other healing bonuses like being inside your own borders? I haven't actually gotten to test it out, but it seems really OP. 10 Happiness and any unit that stands next to it heals twice as fast for the rest of the game? Seems like way too much.

How about Lake Guatavita in place of El Dorado. Fountain of Youth is a hard one.... Everglades? Something in Florida? :crazyeye:

Well, I was thinking the Fayoum in Egypt, but I don't think Oases healed anything outside of Super Mario 64. :dunno:

They need to make an option to remove them from play. If you start a deity game with the Fountain nearby, it is almost a guaranteed win. It is THAT good.

Well, I was thinking the Fayoum in Egypt, but I don't think Oases healed anything outside of Super Mario 64. :dunno:

I'm sure there must be a ton of natural hot springs that we could rename the fountain too, as hot springs are often used for possible therapeutic properties. Is there a famous onsen in Japan or something? If not there's any number of so-called holy springs that people pilgrimage to like the Grotto of Massabielle at Lourdes which technically would be a spring/fountain of water which actually exists and some people today believes the water heals them.

I'm thinking there's something in Iceland, but I haven't seen Bear Grills in awhile. There's also likely plenty of religious ones. I should probably look one up.

I don't mind the Fountain of Youth, but think it should be a totally random element each game. Like have there be a 1 in 10 chance it will randomly occur. Should spice things up since it wouldn't ALWAYS be in the game, and stumbling upon it would a pleasant surprise.

Someone should mod my idea and give me all the credit. ;-)

Spain would be so fun to play if you have one of those in your second city. Mmmm, +20 happiness from a single tile...

Ah, Spain's ability. Beating even Germany and the Ottomans in raw volatility.

What about the difference discovering a natural wonder at first and second? I remember that was noted in the patch notes somewhere (?) ?

If they're in the disputed territory, they're not overpowered, they're an incentive for expansion. If you run into one by luck near your territory, then, yeah, it's overpowered.

The effects are interesting. I'm trying to think of more historically accurate replacements, though.

They're overpowered, no matter where they are. The person who finds El Dorado first and the person who has Fountain of Youth get huge bonuses. The rest are ok, Old Faithful is about the maximum of where happiness should go for these things, maybe even a tad bit too good.

Top Bottom