EltNESIII: Some Assembly Required

“Mercy!” The Norsemen cried out in their village.

The Warlord likes to find those men, the ones who expect quarter to be given. He loves to march across a battlefield in the wake of his army, the smell of burning thatch, the sound of cattle moaning as they are prodded into a stampede, only for a moment’s amusement.

The smoke, his own special cloud rising up to join the Thunder Gods, the Warlord smiles to see it rise.

“Mercy!” The Norseman cries out, The Warlord pulls his man aside, enjoys the look of salvation, of freedom on the Norseman’s face. He cowers in the mud, his hands are held up to protect from blows. Perhaps this man is a trader or a religious sort, surely not a warrior. A warrior would never try to defend from a sword with his hand, A warrior would die like a hero in the final days of his people. These Norsemen, the Warlord wonders if they even produce warriors in these lands.

The Warlord pulls his own copper axe, heavy and weighty, it could as much crush a man’s skull as decapitate him. He leans in to the Norseman, suddenly the freedom is gone, the salvation dissipated. The Warlord grabs the man by the hair and pulls him to his knees.

“Mercy is for the weak.”

The Axe swings down.

To: Phoolan Devi

If you stay within that area it is acceptable, regarding trade we would be delighted to create such a trade network between our nations.

OOC: sorry to confuse you and go back and forth but i decided to spend my money on some sheep and stuff instead of trade this turn. Maybe we can trade next turn. Sorry to change my mind on you.

From Phoolan Devi,
To Cyseean Imperium,

May the Peace of the Stars shine upon both our people. We hope for much formal trade in the future. For now we will be establishing shepherding pastures south of your land; feel free to visit us so that we may exchange ideas and philosophies.

To: Sparta

We hear your exhortations of trade between our nations and we deign your barbarian goods sufficient for our purposes. We will gladly trade with you and will send emissary to your villages with gifts from our God-King.

I am a member of the Fourth House, servant to the God-King, most loyal of his servants, may it be with Artemos the Victor that I retain His divine favor and wield poison to his enemies. My abode is north of the boulevard of Anapharxes and east of the storm gates, and is blessed by Demeter with fig trees and the forge of Hephaestus with cream colored stone. My name is Nireus, and I am not a warrior. I am a child of the City of Ilium, and I serve her with the deadliest of all weapons. It is black splayed with blue, it is taken by strength from an exotic creature far from the south. It is a quill. I am a scribe, and my ink is law. This is my chronicle.

This is the second year of the Six Age of the Ilium, as five Houses have been toppled from the command of the Ivory Throne, smeared by blood by the deity Eris, Prince of Plots. Artemos the Peacemaker is of the God-King and the God-King is of the Victor, and we know Him by no other name for He is Artemos is He is God-King is Artemos is He is God-King. The God-King rules with more strength than any mortal man can bear, and he obliterates his enemies to Void with no more deliberance than a glint of light. But his blade does not shine brightly with youthful haste in the sun, like those of the barbarian Spartans of the South, nor does it glow in the moonlight, repelling the shadows of the dark, like the Skythians of the North. The God-King is of the House of Cephallios, and his blade glints in the twilight, and radiates celestial energy of sun and moon. Ilium's blade is honor is treachery is east west is soil is sea. Artemos is He, and he deigns it so atop the Ivory Throne.

The Ivory Throne is quiet today, a chilling quiet, like the eye of the storm. And the world shall tremble in its wake.

Karalysia is banned, and asked me to post this:

The city of Kol was the greatest and most famous one in all the north. Built on the coastline it dominated all trade that passed through the Avrantic Sea. Merchants from the Dom and from the tribes of the northern barbarous tribes of Bretta (Britain) and Norsemen all transited through its port to ply their wares in the bazaars.

But this was not the only reason Kol was famous. It was also home to the Temple of the Snake Mother, a looming edifice that towered over the rest of the city like a viper rearing back to strike. The building intricately carved with sculptures of the Avrantic gods who gazed coldly down on those who approached from their serpentine eyes.

Inside the temple stood a gargantuan statue of the Snake Mother herself, constantly attended by priestesses who were naked and garbed only in live snakes that writhed about their body. A snake pit filled with all manner of poisonous serpents flanked both sides of the Snake Mother. Sacrifices were cast into the snake pit where they were bitten and slowly devoured by the snakes. The serpents slithered to the accumulated piles of bones and skulls that were periodically cleaned out by the temple slaves.

The Chief Priestess a toothless old hag looked up from her prayers

Rohanna the High Queen of the Avranti entered the inner sanctum, the woad markings on her face distinguishing her position. She was followed by her daughter the Crown Princess Briana who appeared nervous.

The Chief Priestess approached them and bowed, Briana averted her eyes from her grotesquely wrinkled naked body clad only in a single coiled black serpent around her neck which hissed periodically.

“My daughter has come of age.” Rohanna announced “It is time she underwent the ritual.”

“Ah she has had her flow? My congratulations your Highness.” said the Chief Priestess gazing at Briana who was still fixedly staring at the statue of the Snake Mother. “Before we begin the ritual I will tell you the origins of our people, a tale you have heard many times no doubt but one I must impress again.”

She paused for a moment gathering her thoughts

“Before this world ever existed there was only the Snake Mother who traveled the cosmic void empty of worlds, stars, the sun or the moon. It was devoid of life. The Snake Mother impregnated herself and birthed a number of children whom she raised in the great cosmic void; all of them were daughters who became our goddesses, except one. A black serpent, a son was born named Olac who was envious of his sisters who were all beautiful, kind and just. But above all he envied their wombs, for they alone could create life. He became twisted with envy, jealousy and hate. He left the Snake Mother to live on his own in the dark reaches of the cosmos where no light ever penetrated. There in his dark exile Olac plotted his vengeance on all his sisters. Slowly he grew in strength until he almost rivaled that of the Snake Mother herself. Finally he cast a terrible curse which rendered all the daughters’ barren and unable to create life.”

The Chief Priestess’s eyes were misty as she thought of the event.

“But the daughters did not despair. They decided that to sacrifice themselves to create life and began to devour their own bodies to form the symbol you know as the ouroboros. The fiery haired daughter Aithne became our sun. The strong daughter Brina became the earth. The gentle and beautiful daughter Caoimhe became the moon. The cool and calm daughter Cordelia became the sea. Each of the Snake Mother’s daughters formed one of our many goddesses who we now give praise to for their sacrifice. But above all we remember the sorrow of the Snake Mother who wept tears of blood at the loss of her daughters. It is these tears of blood that we women pay homage to every lunar cycle.”

The Chief Priestess’s voice rose with fervor

“After the sacrifice of her daughters the Snake Mother hunted for Olac throughout the cosmos but he fled to this planet fearing her wrath and knowing she would never destroy what her daughter’s sacrifice created. He took human form and lived on earth in hiding, but still sowing his discord, hate and jealousy where he roams to this day. So the Snake Mother created our people, the Avranti to carry out her vengeance and she gave power to a High Queen to lead us.” At this she motioned to Rohanna

“The High Queen was borne through virgin birth, and the High Queen herself would through virgin birth pass down her power only to daughters. Only the lineage of High Queens remain pure and untainted by the touch of man.” She eyed Brianna

“As followers of the Snake Mother we give thanks to her and her daughters for their sacrifice but also we do not forget Olac’s villainy. For he is why men are never permitted to rule! For they are tainted with Olac’s original sin! It is our duty to carry out the wishes of the Snake Mother and hunt Olac wherever he may be until he and his evil are destroyed.”

The Chief Priestess paused and motioned to one of the junior priestesses who came forward and presented to Briana an elegantly decorated serpentine dagger. She grasped it around the bejeweled hilt feeling the cool metal pressed against her palm.

“And now you are ready to complete the coming of age ritual my child.”

A man was brought into the sanctum and made to keel before the altar of the Snake Mother.

The priestesses began writhing and hissing as though in a fit. The Chief Priestess shouted “The Snake Mother wept tears of blood and now must be sated!”

Briana approached the sacrifice steeling her will. She had earlier been told what would be expected of her. She grabbed him by the hair and jerked his head up exposing his neck to the blade. She sliced cleanly through the neck and blood spurted forward splattering the altar. He spasmed in his death throngs and she pushed him forward sending him tumbling down into the snake pit where he was quickly engulfed by the masses of serpents.

Rohanna smiled and came forward to embrace her daughter. “Now you are a woman.”

The priestesses each came forward paid obeisance to her and existed until they were left along in the sanctum. The doors were firmly shut.

Briana looked around. “Is there more?”

“Yes.” said Rohanna “There is a secret passed from the High Queen to her daughter at the time of the coming of age ceremony. A secret that none are privy to. It is about the nature of our conception.”

“We are born of virgin Queens free of the taint of man.” Briana said

“Yes and no.” said Rohanna pacing the chamber “You see while women are solely able to give rise to life from their womb the milk of man is also needed. It is true that the first High Queen Enid was born of a virgin; the ones that followed her were not. Enid was wise and knew that for the High Queen to maintain her divine authority certain measures would have to be taken. She commanded her daughter Fionn that she should choose a mate among the finest male specimen’s to breed with. This male should be captured and taken to her in secret in order to bring about conception of a daughter. Once a daughter was conceived the male would have his tongue torn out and be blinded and imprisoned in the dungeons so he could tell no one. When the daughter came of age the male would be sacrificed in the ritual by the daughter herself thus helping cleanse Olac’s sin.”

Briana’s eyes widened “You mean that man I……”

“Yes. He was your progenitor. “replied Rohannna

Briana was silent for a moment “What if a male child is conceived by the High Queen?”

Rohanna smiled and gestured toward the snake pit “He is cast down. Thus the line is kept pure and free of the taint of man. While normal women lie with man and bear both men and women the High Queen is kept divine and pure. She is above all of them. Do you understand?”

“Yes Mother. I do.”

EDIT: Get your orders in. It was a short deadline, but there's not much you can do this turn anyway. Those who wrote stories, your EP will be banked. Those who did not, Poopoo, sir! I will write around you until I have to write that area (to allow you time to write orders), but I'll just leave you out if you don't get orders in.

When were orders due?

like an hour ago. Clearly you could still be pushing the clock if you wanted though.

EDIT: What I'm really interested in is this ban, how long is it? Will it prevent the Mutant NES Update? I wanted to raise hell in that game! But alas, wrong thread for such concerns.

Spend 1 Estabilishing sea trade route with other Egypt
Spend 3 " " with "jerusalem nation"
Spend 2 building better irrigation along river banks, more food, more stability, more trade, more people, more POWER :D

Wet Feet

Splosh,
splosh,
swish,
splosh.

A few steps then a flick of the tail.

Damned flies.

The pack animal slowly chewed its cud.
Padding up and down the rich floodland, bringing forth life from the sand. Its faeces binding the sand, its power pumping the water. The villagers had marvelled at the device when the kings men had first come to construct it. Now they were the talk of all the surrounding villages.

Everyone wanted one, talk of others attempting to copy the design only made the town of Meh-nhet greatly proud. Their crops would not suffer as they had last season, wilting away as the sun bore down relentlessly. Instead lush rows of fat, green leaves, swaying in the breeze.

The excess would be traded away for trinkets and other extras. No longer was subsistance merely enough. Families competed to progress and better their neighbours. This only drove up production more, noone wanted to have to admit their harvest had been less than another.

The crops were shifting downriver to the big city, and worked goods came back. The river was filled with as much rafts as it was water some could claim!

Domestic Events

Western World

In the western edges of the world, the far advanced Tanresian people begin to construct Houses of Learning throughout their territory, increasing knowledge and the exchange of ideas. Their invasion of Porter goes well, see Military Events.

Tanresian attempts at settling the Balearic Islands failed, as the locals resisted, and the force sent was lacking in manpower of any kind.

The Barbers saw nothing but peaceful expansion, having put their entire years' revenue and that of that last's into the Great Wandering Ranch, a project much inspired by (MilarNESII), which boosted their economy greatly.

The Avranti stagnate. (EP banked; Snake Mother satisfied.)

Dom sets aside money for a trade route with the Avranti, but it stays in their coffers due to the Avranti not going through with their deal. They expand with much difficulty from the local tribes, though still gain some more land.

The Cyseean Imperium in the warm south meets a period of stagnation themselves, but their EP is not banked, and instead stolen by pirates. (No story)

The Devi Phoolan start several projects aimed at making colonization easier- pottery, to hold their grain, and pastures, to provide more foodstuff and clothes. They meet great success at colonizing Italy due to this, and have control over almost all of what they set out to do. Religious zealots explore eastward and westward, both meeting success. The Barbers of Africa are eager to adopt this new rleigion, while the strict Spartans of the Aegean all but booted the preaching wanderers out.

North and east of there, past the busy Aegean states, the Scythian leaders initiate funding for the founding of the cities of Jujya and Izme, and recruits a massive army to help with their expansion, which goes better than expected. Many projects are started, all of which lack funding, and thus don't get off the ground in any real sense, though the ideas have stuck with the populace. A secured sedentary life with farming, rather than hunting.

Spotlight region said:
A unique type of situation had developed in the central Aegean. An Illiac Prince arrived in Sparta with a promise of tribute and peace. This was well accepted by the Spartan King, and a grand feast was held in festival of the Ilium and this ancient peace re-visited.

Little did the Spartans know, this was but a ploy and a power play. An Illiac fleet (of rafts) arrived around southern Attica and set up a blockade, keeping the tiny Spartan navy bottled up and out of the Aegean. Bribes of freedom from the "oppressive Spartan regime", as it was put, were accepted by greedy leaders in the Aegean islands, much to the disapproval of the Spartan King.

The Spartan Empire maintained peaceful borders with the northern neighbors, but still sought a place to expand. Across the Aegean and on the continent of Asia was the spot they decided on, and their colonists and armies arrived mostly unopposed.

A Spartan princess was stolen away in the night by the Ilium prince and his bodyguard, and supposedly taken back to Ilium proper to be his new Queen.

A ways east, the Cypriot Empire has launched a massive colonization program aimed at the Anatolian coast- peaceful settlers arrive there with gifts for the locals, which is a stark contrast to the rumors coming from the Sultanate in the south. The locals join up, a little bit reluctantly at first, but then in larger numbers. The Cypriot Empire also opens the first trade route of the world with the Lyscovian Sultanate, the supposed warmongers of the south.

In the Lyscovian Sultanate, much turmoil goes on. The Sultan is apparently calling for re-organization or reforms of government- mostly to emphasize his rule over the surrounding countryside and city states. While most nobles (particularly wealthy farmers and herdslords) contest this, the Sultan has the support of the people renewed, due to his stark military campaigns, and his Just and Right Rule. A trade route is started with the Cyoriot Empire in the north; products from the hinterland are brought to the nearest port city, to be sent there, to gain the most income possible.

West along the African coast, Aneb-Hetch begins the construction of irrigation works along the great Nile River, which will eventually improve every aspect of the peoples' lives, but also increase the country's income. They also start a trade route with the Nile Dynasties in the south, gaining themselves rarer spices and special african woods and gems.

The Nile Dynasties are left without any treasury and without progress of any kind. The Nile people are left decidedly disappointed at their government and angry at the lower kingdom of Aneb-Hetch. They however have the respite of hearing the news of the expansion down the river, to richer floodplains.

In the east, the Pontian Empire expands slowly, like the lumbering elephant. It's grand project, Walls of Pontus, dominate the populaces' mind. The world's first major defensive structure, the project is projected (pun intended) to be completed in about 150 years. (3 turns.)

Eastern World

A similar story of massive spending, the Kettick Empire has started the great Farms of the Indi project, intended at producing massive amounts of food for consumpion and export, it will greatly increase the regions' population and income.

The Kutaki are the first people to actively spread their religion, but that has been their main goal for a long time. Their project (Temple of Eshna) has been started and completed at the delta of the River Kutak (Ganges) and has increased their wealth through religious pilgrimage.

The Arkital quietly save their money in the north of Qin (Asia), and expand with the aid of bribes of admission with full rights into the federation.

Qing spends their entire revenue and then some on purchasing the largest military in history, so much so that they now have a deficit, or will in the coming (turn). Their plans to capture as much territory as possible on the coasts to prevent Taironese colonization have failed, due to lack of manpower or a very speedy transportation; it's a huge coast, and the Taironese have the same equipment.

However, The Qing Imperial Family has deemed it appropriate that all families must build a shrine to their ancestors. No expense must be spared in constructing these; what you can afford, you must build. This emphasizes the new official Qing religion in the region; no others can contest it. It is accepted as fact.

The Tairon Empire practices peaceful expansion on the southwestern coasts, and becomes more than a little alienated at the massive army the Qing have built up. Their coffers fill, however, and they ready themselves for war.

Military Events:

Porter War

Tanresian response to increased Porter activity and, indeed, minor skirmishes on their border, was all out invasion.

The Tanresian invasion of south Porter saw 8 Warbands or a massive army of 3,200, marching against the Porters' 2,800. A clever move on the Tanresians, they also sent 2 more warbands on several rafts unpoosed to land at the site of the Porter capital, Libbon. The Porter King is being held for ransom in the south of Tanresios. In consequence, the Porters can no longer access their massive treasury. A turning point has been reached early in the war, though war is a fickle mistress.

(-5 warbands, gained Libbon, Tanresios)
(-6 warbands, lost Libbon, lost 1 EP, Porter)

Wovvolk Terrorization

The Wovvolk have managed to muster the largest army the north has ever seen, almost 5,000 armed men in total. Their orders are simple: Pillage. So that is what they do. They capture much land, and gain much loot.

(-1 Warband, Wovvolk)

The Trojan War

The Ilium blockade of the Greek mainland and major harbors easily stopped the Spartans from ever retaliating, though there was minor scuffling from raft to raft combat, the die-hard and desperate Spartan rafters taking down one Ilium raft as they went.

(-1 Raft, Spartan Empire)
(-1 Raft, Ilium)

Lyscovian Expansionism

The Lyscovian government issued a decree that all men and boys of fighting age will be called up for war; a shocking 6,000 men at arms were called up to "persuade" or outright conquer the outlying "barbarians" and other city states. Many peoples and states join due to this "persuasion", but many of them also fear it.

(-2 Warbands, Lyscovian Sultanate.)

Spotlight: Qing said:
Chang Li followed his elderly Master closely. It would not due to fall too far behind, or step on the Master's heels. He was being lead to the family Temple, where his ancestors slept. The massive building loomed in the distance, surrounded by a pristine garden and extremely large, well-kept bambo trees. Faded murals of ancient glory glared in the mid-day sun, painted with once vibrant colors from distant dye makers.

He had been to this temple a thousand times, though every time he came, he noticed something new. This time, he took in the fantastic golden rings embedded in the grand wooden door. What purpose they served, he did not know. Warding away evil spirits? Honoring his ancestors?

His master pushed open the door silently, and entered. Li made sure he couldn't be seen, and took a small bite out of the meat he had brought as offerings. His ancestors wouldn't mind, and he had not eaten since early that morning, before the sun had risen in the east.

He entered through the doors, and into a room full of massive statues, all of them towering above his short, boy frame- most prominently, in the center, was his great great grandfather, Chang Su. He sat down and placed the food in front of the statue, glancing only a few times at the statue of Chang Zhi, his father's deceased brother, whom Li had met and admired.

His Master picked him up by the hair and dragged him outside. Li made sure not to make noise until he was outside, but then he let out a startling wail when they emerged.

"What have I done, Master?"

His master smacked him across the face twice. "You have defiled your ancestors, you have eaten their offerings! Do not think I did not see the bite taken out of the fish you left half wrapped up in there."

"I'm sorry, Master, I.."

The Master grabbed him by the shoulder. "Go and pray for forgiveness from Chang Su, and every single ancestor in there, and then you may come out and you may go have dinner. I'll be leaving a guard here, so don't think I won't know."

Li bowed his way into the massive shrine, crying silently.

Chang Xiang sighed. Would his son never learn?

Spoiler :
link: http://j.imagehost.org/view/0408/Map_1

RELIGION MAP:
Spoiler :

Total SP:
Wovvolk/SKILORD: 1 SP
Scythia/Julius Ganhdi: 2 SP
Qing/Androgans: 3 SP
Phoolan Devi/Immaculate: 2 SP
Tanresios/Milarqui: 3 SP
Lyscovian Sulanate/Lord of Elves: 2 SP
Ilium/Kraznaya: 2 SP
Avranti/Karalysia: 2 1/2 SP
Aneb-Hetch/Abaddon: 1 SP

Diplomacies go here. eventrually.

The Cypriot Empire also opens the first trade route of the world with the Lyscovian Sultanate, the supposed warmongers of the south.

What about mine with them?

and angry at the lower kingdom of Aneb-Hetch.

Why?

Curious about religion spread.. does EVERY nation have specific religions, or can we share them?

edit: forget'aboutit

It seems pointless to write the (2/0/0/0/) after each unit when we can read their values in the opening posts...

What about mine with them?

I wasn't able to afford establishing a traderoute with you this turn, so I went with the one that seemed likely to be the most immediately-lucrative. I'll get to you as soon as possible.

But I paid in 3EP... it doesn't need both parties to spend, merely agree..
I'd make all the money from establishing one with you.. not us both gain I would assume...

An as for immediate lucrative.. they all generate the same amount?

Honestly this merely makes me worry you are building that army to attack me..

Top Bottom