NOTW XXXIX: Impending Retribution Game Thread

I'm pretty confident that Rhawn is not giving false interrogation results, at least not on purpose. It's entirely possible that a loyal member of the crew might still be a killer. We have the late Captain Whitower as a perfect example of this.

It's also quite possible that interrogating a saboteur to detect a killer might not reveal anything. A saboteur might have done terrible damage to the ship but be utterly convinced that nobody has been killed as a result.

If we believe Rhawn has the claimed ability (and there isn't really any reason not to believe it), we need to put someone new in the brig. We have no leads on suspected rogues or saboteurs, so it should be the brig, not a noose. Beyond that I'm not ready to make any decisions yet.

I was asked by Renata to go look through voting patterns and discuss a couple things and so I have.

Conclusion: Frozen in Ice and CCRunner have both been really scummy. I still highly encourage CCRunner's execution tonight. I think it would also be curious if we could encourage both of them to do something different than their current arguments, which are wrong (as I'm not scum) and a waste of time. I think CCRunner should explain why Frozen is guilty and Frozen should explain why CCRunner is guilty, from what they know and their own experience.

Major points:
-The trade of an Assault Rifle for the Decryption Key took place sometime by the close of Midday Two. As far as I can tell Frozen and CCRunner kept this to themselves for several days, even if they later told Renata, it wasn't on Day Two when this occurred. It seems very bad for BOTH parties as I'd find it curious why an Innocent manages to work out an item trade with a stolen gun so early on.
-Frozen and CCRunner voted the same way on a lot of occasions, looks scummy in retrospect.
-Frozen clearly refused to help Nictel, our nuclear repairman, in the past.
-Several folks, many are dead and Innocent, called Frozen out on the assault rifle he obtained and that lead was simply lost by coincidence. Most anyone voting Frozen has end up murdered though.

I've compiled the lists of votes/patterns and longer evidence (plus we all conveniently have in our records Midday and Evening tallies) and quoted posts to reference and I'd post it out of fairness to CCRunner/Frozen if anyone feels necessary, or if people ask.

Don't know why my last post was cut. So, I was saying, about bomb-planting: if they have timers then the explosions can be delayed. Be careful, Renata…

I just want to point out that putting me in the brig is literally a waste of a day... I've already been there, and I was there the night that the most mayhem occurred, and rhawn has interrogated me already to see if I could kill (though I'll admit I got no notification of this interrogation happening).
Kennigit said:
Having access everywhere at the start of the game sure seems not really standard innocent; even choxorn (who has the closest relatable ability) claims it is to avoid night kills, not some uber role of Fixing the ship/speed up everything/having access everywhere.

Trading items so early on and having insta-access sounds a lot like early on collaboration with your mafia teammates. Now you've made your claims, but frozen needs to make/explain his. As well as Camikaze.
I never claimed to be 'standard innocent'... I have an extremely powerful role, not gonna lie, enough to move me out of the bounds of 'standard' I'd say. As for your collaboration idea... why on earth would I go through all that trouble? Being able to repair, speed up the ship, and walk freely are all abilities that would pass perfectly fine on their own, why bother combining them? As for frozen, why wouldn't we have traded the first night if we were mafia teammates? Or really, why bother giving him the item to start with at all if I was the one who needed it.
Renata said:
CCRunner -- he twice failed to use a repair ability when he had the opportunity (the first time he said he was looking for the codes). He has essentially the same talent as a known loyal sailor (Nictel). He failed to give Nictel the key when he had the opportunity, despite a number of assurances being offered him, and now Nictel is dead.
First time I still think was justified; I made the right decision. Well obviously not, since I didn't find anything, but checking to find that was worth an extra 10% damage. Second time was a fluke like I said. Can't really say anything about sharing Nictel's ability, that's BL's area. I just know I have a more powerful version than Nictel, but with more requirements. I didn't give nictel the key the same night I didn't repair, for the same reason as I said (dropped my computer, had to post via my phone for a while, which makes a lot of things harder. It got better). And if I could have killed nictel, I would've done it a long time ago... like night one when I figured out we were the same.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can say something about sharing Nictel's ability. As much as it pains me to say this, given what *gulp* Earthling has calculated regarding the long way, and the probability for catastrophic damage the short way, why wouldn't BL include at least two people capable of speeding up the voyage?

Camikaze

So now Earthling thinks I have been working with CCRunner the whole time. Well I can say sure that I have actually been pretty suspicious of CCRunner for quite a while and Renata can atest to that. I contacted her during the afternoon of day two I believe (or at least pretty soon after the trade) and voiced my suspicions of CCRunner, specifically the fact that it seemed odd that CCRunner and Nictel will claiming very similar abilities. The fact that CCRunner likely isn't a rogue doesn't surprise me because with his claimed abilities it would make more sense that he is a saboteur.

Earthling continues to use very flawed supports with regards to his supposed cases against me. I especially like how he has been refuting what I have been saying about him with simply "his arguement is wrong because I am innocent." You need to provide support for these sorts of things, and not flawed ones.

I think a stay in the brig for Camikaze would be a good thing.

EDIT: And some votes:

Compressor: Autolycus
Machinist key: classical_hero
Steel: Izipo

After consideration, Earthlingis the best choice for the brig. I would like to see what rhawn can turn up. If nothing does then we have a good lead to go on.

The Launch Key probably should go to Methos

Reactor Codes can go to Renata

and the steel can go to Izipo

Renata's accusation, although interesting in its conception, is a little odd. A lot of the reasoning seems to be pretty construed. FWIW, I'm still waiting on a reply from our Captain on a particular issue that I'd like answering, and the vanilla thing regards my abilities whilst at the Seaman Apprentice level. My apologies if I haven't invested enough thought into the game thus far.

Now on more pressing issues, I would agree that I'm quite happy to give the launch key to Renata, and the reactor codes as well to Renata. I (obviously) think her accusation is misguided, but she's evidently putting effort into the cause. May as well hand out the container to sprig and the steel to Izipo, and the air rig can go to Autolycus. And let's go the long way. Presumably the whole point of having a sonar system on board is for this minefield. Without it at all operational, it seems absolutely daft to just keep going on through.

I'm most concerned about Earthling's behaviour. I can't particularly make sense of what he's saying, which leaves it looking like a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters. I for one have no idea what he's been on about today; he seems to be casting aspersions haphazardly in all directions. If you're looking for a sign of scuminess, then this Petty Officer fits the bill.

Having rhawn interrogate Camikaze in the brig sounds like a good idea.

I'd prefer the short way to port. It's best to be out of this hell as soon as possible.

Nothing much to add on items, except for a word of warning regarding the Nuclear Launch Key. I'd prefer to dispose of it althogether.
(OOC: if this isn't a possibility, Backwards, then count it as a no vote.)

There is no way a nuclear launch would improve the fortunes of the crew. It is too big a weapon to be of use in tactical situations, and the diplomatic fallout of launching it would be far too great to outweigh any benefit we'd have from launching it.

I'd urge whoever got the Launch Key to destroy it in private, because I see no benefit to a successful nuclear launch except for hostiles.

Given how things have played out for tonight, I feel more confident giving renata the codes and waiting now. One more night won't hurt excessively...

I don't want to see anyone executed right now, so I would like to vote for CCRunner and hopefully it will mean that someone spends the night in the brig.

Short Cut is the bestt option even though it is the riskiest one we are going to take.
Renata can have the launch code.
Sprig can look into the container.
Renata can have the Override.
Earthling can have the engine key.
Autolycus can have the compressor.
I, classical_hero can have the machine room key.
Izipo can have the steel.

If anyone is still around to vote for the short way, we have to do that.

Let's take ze Short cut. Full speed away home!

Renata the Launch Codes. It's been an honor serving you, Madam. :p

Oh, and CCrunner needs some time spent hanging upside down from the torture chamber I just invented.

Kennigit container

End Midday Phase Seven, Start Night Phase Seven

Journal Entry Number Twenty-One. 20:00 shipboard time.

“He’s guilty!”

“No, YOU’RE guilty!”

“I don’t know, I think they’re ALL guilty!”

The day ended with three-way tie for execution between CCRunner, Camikaze, and Earthling. Since the Captain hadn’t been around to say who ultimately ended up in the Brig, it was decided they all would spend a night in the damp quarters. Fortunately the Brig was equipped to handle this large influx of prisoners and there was enough space to imprison each one in his own cell.

The course of action for the ship was a dangerous one. With slightly more than a third of the crew voting for the Shortcut through the minefield, the ship would begin to sail through the mine invested waters this night. With Sonar still offline, there was no telling how disastrous, or how uneventful, the voyage would be.

The rest of the items were distributed to the rest of the crew as they were voted on. Renata took both the the Nuclear Launch Key “B” and Nuclear Reactor Control Override Codes. As the Container vote was tied between Kennigit and Sprig, rank seniority carried the day and Lieutenant Commander Kennigit took the item. The Keys were split between Earthling and classical_hero, with Earthling taking the Key to the Engine Room and classical_hero the Key to the Machine Room. Autolycus took the Portable Compressed Air Rig, and Izipo had the misfortune to carry the hunk of Reinforced Steel all by himself.

The crew headed off to bed, hoping that they had made the right call with the ship’s course. However, everyone had a sense of foreboding regarding the mines – despite the optimism they wouldn’t hit any, deep down the crew felt it was more of a question of how many hits and not when…

~~~​

Final Vote Tally:

Execution:

Camikaze: 7 (6 players, 1 secret vote)
CCRunner: 7 (6 players, 1 secret vote)
Earthling: 7 (5 players, 2 secret votes)

Shortcut through the minefield: 11

(Autolycus, BSmith1068, choxorn, classical_hero, Earthling, Kennigit, PaulusIII, Renata, rhawn, Seon, Takhisis)

Long way around the minefield: 8

(Camikaze, CCRunner, civplayah, Ekolite, Frozen In Ice, Izipo, Sprig, Zack)

Nuclear Launch Key “B”:

Renata: 8
Autolycus: 1
Ekolite: 1
Methos: 1

Container:

Sprig: 5
Kennigit: 5

Nuclear Reactor Control Override Codes:

Renata: 11

Key to the Engine Room:

Earthling: 6
Kennigit: 1

Portable Compressed Air Rig:

Autolycus: 6
Izipo: 4

Key to the Machine Room:

classical_hero: 5
Earthling: 2

Reinforced Steel:

Izipo: 11

It is now Night Phase Seven! Remember the subject heading I asked everyone to use: Orders for (Player) for Night Phase Seven

It’s now Night. Posting is Closed; DO NOT POST.

End Night Phase Seven, Start Morning Phase Eight

Journal Entry Number Twenty Two. 06:00 shipboard time. Eight Days to Port.

With the ship now sailing through uncharted, mine-invested waters, the ship’s course took on a zig-zag pattern to hopefully reduce their chances of striking a mine head-on. In past conflicts, the strategy worked to avoid torpedoes for the most part and since the ship was blind, it was considered better than just plowing straight ahead and bowling any mines over.

The ship’s voyage was uneventful for the first half of the night. The Impending Retribution had managed to avoid the mines fairly well, though a handful of explosions just aft of the passing ship notified the crew they were in fact in dangerous waters. It would seem the mines were on some sort of timer based on when they detonated, which was really the only explanation for the timing of the explosions.

The sun was close to appearing on the horizon when the ship’s luck ran out. A water geyser and resulting shock-wave blasted the ship’s port-side aft section, and not long after another appeared directly across on the starboard side. The ship noticeably slowed and the lights flickered as some important compartments took damage.

Damage crews went below decks to assess the damage and were not pleased with the carnage. The Engine Room had been hit and while the reactor was still running, efficiency had been cut to 50% and the ship was now running at half speed. The Electrical Room was also in taters, and once again the ship’s security locks would be offline.

Aside from the mines, repairs elsewhere on the ship went undisturbed. The Sleeping Quarters, Deck, Sick Bay, and Armory all were fixed to 0% damage while the Galley despite repairs gained 10% damage.

The attention turned to the Sleeping Quarters where the body of Zack lay badly mauled by large caliber firepower. Rhawn appeared from his cabin unharmed, holding his M2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun in a firing position. Zack’s body had pretty much been turned to miasmic goo from the close-range assault he endured from the massive weapon. Plucked from the scene was a Silenced Pistol and there was absolutely no doubt that

Spoiler :
Zack was a Rogue Agent!

The rest of the crew was also unharmed and aside from the new damage from the mines, it could be said the night went pretty well. They had caught their first Rogue and for the first time all cruise returning to port was looking like a very real possibility. With any luck though, the ship would still be afloat…

~~~​

New Rank Hierarchy:

Night Phase Seven is over and posting is open.

• Execution votes in Bold
  • Vote for the Silenced Pistol in Red.

Quick Notes:
  • Damage Report: Sleeping Quarters repaired to 0%, Deck to 0%, Armory to 0%, Sick Bay to 0%. Engine Room damaged to 70%, Electrical Room to 80% and Galley to 50%.
  • No Promotions to report.
  • Over/Under Number is 4.
  • Result PM's being sent now.

You may now post!

CCRunner gets executed today, or Frozen. Take your pick, we're doing one or the other. That was definitely a surprise on Zack's death, not at all surprised he was a rogue of course, but was expecting we'd get one of the former instead and that we might suffer more casualties.

I'm not sure why the Engine Room wasn't steeled up if that's what the steel does but hopefully we can still do that tonight. And I'm just waiting on what we found out about Camikaze (hopefully) too.

CCRunner today. More info on that later.

Earthling seems to be avoiding the obvious... if rhawn's ability wasn't deemed threatening enough last night, why try to kill him tonight? Answer: To avoid him coming forward with information about who is a murderer based on who is currently in the brig. Not going to lie, I have my hopes about what he found, but let's wait and see, shall we?

Actually, the fact that unless I missed something we went from two saboteurs, to one, is incriminating enough against one of us, though for a different reason... I've already spent time in the brig with no change (well, actually an increase in damage and killings), and Earthling from what he claims is generally accounted for most nights, so that leaves Camikaze

Top Bottom