Celtic Fury

May I ask you a question? In how far does writing this story change your style of play and your decision making? I realized that I thought different about my next moves and decisions when I took screenshots and wrote notes yesterday. It's time consuming, but it's also great fun to have some kind of log. :mischief:

In terms of when the next update will come: it will probably be later this week as I am about 75% done with the writing, though I'm trying to throw some first person stories in there to make things more interesting.

Looking forward to it!

I was also wondering, how do you capture your screenshots? Is there a software that you use or some sort of jury rigged camera :crazyeye:

Press Prnt Scrn (a key in the upper right of the keyboard), and then open an image editing program (MS Paint works), and click edit > paste.

Hmm, this appears to be incredibly time consuming without a dual monitor setup... such are the pains of great story I suppose

[Off Topic]

I have to agree to that it's time consuming, but it also gives great opportunity to think about a story while you're at it. :lol:

Actually, I found a really good program that can save screenshots directly to a file folder... after that its an imageshack visit away from being postable!

Actually, I found a really good program that can save screenshots directly to a file folder... after that its an imageshack visit away from being postable!

And the name of that program is....?

I have been considering another Civil War after the war against the Hittites ends. It would then have all of the governments, around 4 or 5 seccecionist states, and a few game mode changers (Militarists, Technologists, Isolationists, etc.). Would you guys like to see that?

Yes, definitely. A new government that radically changes the international policy of your civ would be fun. It'd be extra interesting to see how the AIs in the game react to a total personality change from the world's dominating power. Would the militarists be more inclined to raze enemy cities once they're in power?

don't be communist or democratic thats all i ask for lol

I have been considering another Civil War after the war against the Hittites ends. It would then have all of the governments, around 4 or 5 seccecionist states, and a few game mode changers (Militarists, Technologists, Isolationists, etc.). Would you guys like to see that?

go with the isolationists. the majority of your people are tired with all the wars and want a Pax Celtica put in place for a while

The people? What do they matter? ;)

Kill all!

they are the ones revolting.. and after all the conquest why not remain peaceful for a while (and build up a GIGANTIC military to wipe all the other civs off the map later)

Well folks, the next update is almost done. It's huge in Microsoft Word (Over 10 Pages) and it took me a couple of weeks to write. Hopefully, it will be up later today. In the meantime, I'll respond to some of your questions and comments:
Sparthage uppdates a lot quicker than most.
Quoted for accuracy.
I’d have to disagree. Taniciusfox updates much more often than I do. But yeah, there are some stories that I update faster than (Sima Qian’s Stories, they’re great, but slow in updates). And then there’s my inaccuracy in predicting my own updates. :rolleyes:
In how far does writing this story change your style of play and your decision making?
Hmm… good question. Well, I have to keep a turn log so that my updates are accurate in what happened when. Also, sometimes I’ll do something because I think that it would fun to write about. Finally, I have to be careful that I take screenshots of a lot of stuff (You see about 50% of the screenies that I actually take).
I was also wondering, how do you capture your screenshots? Is there a software that you use or some sort of jury rigged camera :crazyeye:
No jury rigged camera :D. I use the simple function of Cntrl-PrntScrn. I then paste them in MS Paint, edit in anything like unit numbers, and upload them to photobucket.
Hmm, this appears to be incredibly time consuming without a dual monitor setup... such are the pains of great story I suppose
No, not especially. I’ve gotten into a habit of quickly taking the pic, pasting it and then saving it. The whole process takes around a minute per screenie. I guess it’s just a matter of being used to taking them quickly.
A new government that radically changes the international policy of your civ would be fun. It'd be extra interesting to see how the AIs in the game react to a total personality change from the world's dominating power. Would the militarists be more inclined to raze enemy cities once they're in power?
That’s an interesting idea. I’ll post more about that (I’ll be taking suggestions for unique factions) when the time comes to start the Second Celtic Civil War :D.
That’s pretty cool. I might think about using that system later. For now, I’ll just keep on using Paint.
don't be communist or democratic thats all i ask for lol
Well, there will be one faction for each possible government form (Communism and Democracy included). There will also be some other factions that I’ll throw in there (Secessionists, Isolationists, Militarists, etc.)
To me, not much. Of course, I can’t have that be my stance in a Civil War, can I? :D
and after each conquest why not remain peaceful for a while
Other civs have other plans. ;)
and build up a GIGANTIC military to wipe all the other civs off the map later
Well, that’s the plan seeing as I’m going for a conquest victory. :mwaha:
Kill all!
I plan on it. :evil: :ar15::run:

Chapter XV: The First Hittite-Celtic War

As the Hittite-Celtic War intensified, there were several minor battles on the front lines. These battles were often short and involved no more than a few thousand soldiers at a time. Celtic losses in these battles were light, as they lost just over 1000 Cavalry at the First Battle of Tarsan Ridge. Other battles involved a defeat of a small Sumerian Army east of their capital of Tarsus, and a minor skirmish near Irony involving more Sumerian troops.

Then, in December 1149 AD, the Celts invoked their Mutual Protection Pact with Carthage. One week later, the Carthaginians declared war on the Hittites and began preparing their forces for the journey north.

********************​

As the new decade began, Celtic factories in Entremont finished constructing the first Celtic Tanks. These were fast-moving, heavily-armored, and powerfully-armed weapons that could cover massive distances if combined with the efficient Celtic Railway System. Celtic soldiers were trained quickly how to use these Tanks to their greatest advantage. Soon, more Celtic cities completed Tank Divisions of their own. Now calling on the expertise of Field Marshall Cunobelinus, the Celts assigned him the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Armored Divisions to lead into battle. Though the Celts now had a decent sized Tank force, they were yet to see any real combat. This would soon change however…

********************​

In the city of Alesia, another important military event was occurring. Celtic Doctors in the Alesia City Hospital were volunteering to lead combat medic teams to help heal wounded Celts in enemy territory. This was quickly seen as an asset by King Brennus and his top Military Advisor, Arminius, and they allowed the Doctors to form their combat medical teams.

********************​

Finally, in the Celtic port city of Heliopolis, an important naval step was being taken. The first Destroyer was completed in the city harbor in the Spring of 1150. Named the KBS Hikaro Takayama (DD-01), it was the fastest ship in the Royal Celtic Navy. The ship was ordered to patrol the South Atlantic for any signs of the rumored Pirates in the area, and if any were sighted, to obliterate them on contact with its powerful guns.

********************​

The untested Celtic Tank forces were finally unleashed on the Hittites in the Summer of 1150 during the Battle of Tarsus Downs…

Spoiler Primary Source from Pvt. John MacWatson on Battle of Tarsus Downs :
Well, the battle started off well, with our advancing on the Hittite camp. It was kind of pathetic really. I mean, here they are putting on iron armor while we advance on them in an oil-powered, steel covered, moving artillery piece. I can’t imagine what they were thinking. So, the 5th Armored had about 100 Tanks in it, divided into four companies of 25 Tanks each. I was in the 4th Company, and we were assigned to take on their left flank.

When they were lining up for a charge, we opened fire on them with our guns. Machine guns were rattling more than my grandmother’s dentures do when she’s cold and our guns were blasting the dust off of our vehicles. It was a terrible sight to see: horses and men being blasted in every direction as we continued to pour lead into their ranks. But the worst of it happened to the 2nd Company. The Knights that were taking them on actually managed to try a charge. Needless to say, it failed miserably. Tanks actually crushed the horses with the men still on top.

As we were wrapping up the battle in our final drive, something finally went wrong for us. From somewhere in their camp, there came these wooshing sounds, followed by massive explosions. The wooshing sounds it turned out, were some kind of missile in development tipped with explosives. It was terrifying. We went from impervious to vulnerable in a matter of seconds. In all, we lost about 24 Tanks and their crews. So, from my point of view, the battle was won, though it was far more costly than it should have been.

-John MacWatson

********************​

The Battle of Tarsus Downs was a shocking defeat for the Hittites who didn’t think that the Celts had such powerful weapons. Just a few weeks later, another Celtic Armored force would strike the Hittites.

On August 14, 1150, the 5th Celtic Army attacked the Hittite force camped in the Woods of Irony. The 5th Army contained four Celtic Armored divisions and 400 tanks in total. Facing a Hittite Army of just under 5,000, the Celts engaged. The Celtic Tanks, backed by four Special Forces brigades and the elite 5th Cavalry Division, crushed the Hittite force, losing just 200 men and 25 Tanks. The battle was another devastating loss for the Hittites, whose war casualties now surpassed 10,000 dead.

Two months after the Battle of the Woods of Irony, a Celtic force of four Cavalry Divisions and two Commando squads hammered a Hittite force of poorly armed Spearmen and Longbowmen. The battle further added to the swelling Hittite losses. Hittite citizens were beginning to question the wisdom of attacking the world’s largest power.

The Celtic offensive was capped in March 1154 by the movement of the 6th Army to a position on the Hittite holy mountain northwest of the Hittite capital of Hattasus.

********************​

Hoping to regain some momentum after their devastating losses to the Celts, the Hittites launched an attack on the Sumerian capital, Tarsus.

Tarsus was effectively isolated from the main Sumerian state, surrounded by the Hittites, Celts, and Spanish. The offensive was to be the largest of the war for the Hittites, barring the initial invasion of Celtica from that list. Consisting of six Longbowmen divisions and two divisions of Spearmen, the Hittites attacked without warning. Seeing the Hittites approaching the city, the Sumerians mobilized their six Pikemen divisions and mounted a defensive attack. The major Sumerian losses came during the charge at the Hittite forces. Pushing back the Sumerians however, the Hittites advanced further towards the city. Finally, just one division of Sumerians stood between the Hittites and victory. Firing volley after volley at the Sumerians, the Hittites attacked relentlessly. But the Sumerians held their ground and the Hittites were forced to retreat out of lack of supplies. Realizing defeat, the Hittites pulled back from Tarsus. The Battle of Tarsus is widely recognized as the turning point in the war, as it marks the beginning of the Hittite retreat back into their own territory.

********************​

By the end of the 1150s, the Carthaginian Army had finally mobilized. The Carthaginians were the second most powerful nation on Earth, behind only the Celts. Celtic weapons were more modern and powerful, but the Carthaginians had the world’s largest army. Their forces were well over 100,000 strong, mainly being Infantry and Commandos. The Carthaginian Navy was also a major factor in Carthage’s Superpower status, as it had a large fleet of Destroyers.

When Carthaginian forces finally began moving north, they mobilized 15 Cavalry Divisions, 32 Infantry Divisions, 3 Divisions of Numidian Mercenaries, and 14 Commando squads. These forces moved north using a combination of the Celtic road network and when possible, the Royal Celtic Railway. Celtic Military Planners were nervous about having 64,000 foreign soldiers in Celtic lands, but the Carthaginians had no interests in Celtic cities at that time.

********************​

All throughout the 1160s, the Celts prepared for the inevitable attack on Hattasus, capital of the Hittite Empire, by sending the 4th Cavalry, 5th Armored, and 6th Infantry Armies to the mountain near the city. This caused even greater fear in the Hittite Empire, which was already on the verge of mass panic. Arminius, the Military Advisor to King Brennus himself did not believe that the Hittites could put up much more of a fight in the face of invasion. His theory was to be disproven in the next battle that the Celts would face however.

********************​

The Battle of Tarsus Valley, fought just outside of Tarsus was perhaps one of the strangest battles in Celtic history. Facing a force of one thousand spearmen, the 5th Armored Division, despite being not at full strength, attacked the Hittite defenders. During the battle, the 5th Armored lost some 40 Tanks and their crews. There is much speculation as to how this happened as the official battle report (in the below spoiler) seems to be an impossibility.
Spoiler :
To: The Supreme Celtic Military Headquarters at the Pentagon in Lugdunum, Central African Province
From: General MacDonnell of the 5th Armored Division, 1st Armored Group

Forces Involved:
Royal Celtic Army-
81 C-21 Tanks and their Crews (5th Armored Division)

Imperial Hittite Armed Forces-
Approximately 1,000 Spearmen (21st Hittite Infantry Division)

Summary of Battle:
The 5th Armored Division drove out from its camp at dawn. At 11:32 AM PST they engaged the Hittite force at the bottom of the Tarsan Hills. The battle began splendidly with the rout of several Hittite companies. According to my reliable sources, the Hittites who were engaging the 3rd Armored Company allowed the tanks to drive into their midst, then jumped on top of the moving tanks and began to somehow open the hatch. Once they killed the crew inside, they would destroy the tank with concealed explosives. As to why they did not simply turn the captured tanks on the other 3 Tank Companies in the 5th Armored, I do not know. Perhaps they did not know how to operate the machinery. Following the defeat of the 3rd Company, the Hittites used the same tactics successfully against the 5th Company as well. I am told that after the fall of the two companies, a certain Private John MacWatson was responsible for leading the 4th Company to defeat the remaining Hittite soldiers. I’d like to recommend him for promotion. We then retreated to our camp and began repairs on our damaged tanks. We now await reinforcements.

Approximate Losses:
RCA-
23 Tanks and their Crews

IHAF-
The 21st Infantry Division

End Message.

********************​

The 1160s were concluded in a dramatic fashion as the Hittites landed on the Sumerian island of Bad-Tiberia and attacked the city there. Fighting between Hittite Riflemen and Sumerian Pikemen and Warriors raged about in the northern parts of the island. Thousands died in the assaults from both sides. The fight for control of the island came to a violent end as a weakened division of Sumerian Pikemen was able to hold back a brutal bayonet charge by Riflemen in the outskirts of Bad-Tiberia and force the Hittites to retreat to their northern beachhead.

This victory by Sumerian forces actually displeased the Celtic leaders as they had hoped that they could ‘liberate’ the island in the case of a Hittite takeover. The documents that expressed these wishes were buried however, as the Celts did not wish the Sumerians to learn of this hope.

********************​

Just weeks from the end of the 1160s, on December 7, 1169 a Celtic scientist named Leonard McCoy created the first television. This was just the beginning of a wave of electricity-using products that would result in the first arcades and even the first primitive computer. However, computers would not be mastered by the Celts for at least another century.

********************​

As the Celts advanced into the Hittite Empire’s core, the Carthaginian Fascist state granted Universal Suffrage to all of its citizens. Soon this idea spread throughout the world, though many found it odd that a dictatorship would be the first to grant Universal Suffrage. The idea was eventually traced back to the city of Utica by Celtic historians in later years.

********************​

Having advanced to the outskirts of Hattasus, the Celts began their attacks on the city. The 5th Armored Army under the command of Field Marshall Cunobelinus was able to smash through a small army of Riflemen that was defending the outskirts of the city. As the Celts advanced, the city’s citizens began rioting against the war as they saw their current situation as a result of the declaration of war by their government.

Field Marshall Boudicca, seeing the people revolting and the weakened state of the Hittite defenders, ordered an all-out offensive by her Cavalry Divisions. Storming through the Streets, the deadly Celtic Cavalry crushed the resistance. When a Commando Squad was the last defender of the city, the Celts dismounted and went door-to-door shooting every armed Commando. As the city burned, the Hittite government fled the city, going north by caravan to Ugarit.

********************​

Now on the defensive, the Hittites lost all forces that were near Hattasus and the Celts pushed towards both Ugarit and Harran. Sumerian Knights were also encamped in Hittite territory. The Carthaginian First Expeditionary Force was closing rapidly on the Hittite cities as they rode Celtic railways north to the front. Now facing total defeat, the Hittites prepared a final drive aimed at the Sumerians. The upcoming battle could turn the war into one of naval strategy.

********************​

In a final attempt to gain some momentum against the Celtic-led Coalition, the Hittites staged a final assault on the city of Bad-Tiberia. Both Sumerian and Hittite divisions had been weakened by the recent battles and the fight was a fight for survival. Advancing into the city, the Hittites attempted to capture the town center. Just when all hope seemed lost for the Sumerians, a pike found the Hittite commander. Leaderless, the Hittites became disorganized and soon, were retreating from the rallying Pikemen. Routed, the Hittite forces surrendered.

The Hittites would never again go on the offensive.

********************​

As the 12th Century came to a close, the Celts were building up a powerful, modern navy to defend against a possible attack by the large Carthaginian fleets. The largest ship in the new Celtic fleet was the Aircraft Carrier KBS King Brennus (CV-01). Though, the Celts did not yet have an Air Force, the Celts were researching how to create fighters and bombers and found it to be highly necessary that they have ships with the ability to carry these new weapons all over the world. In the Spring of 1200, the massive ship was launched from the Royal Celtic Shipyards.

********************​

Following the eruption of Mt. Niagara, geologists around the world began keeping track of the world’s volcanic activity. But in Winter 1199, a long-dormant volcano on the Portuguese-Inca border erupted. Fortunately, few lives were lost as the nearest city was many miles away.

********************​

Little happened in the Hittite War during the first decade of the 13th Century, with the major event for actual combat being a small assault on Harran by the 6th Armored Division in 1207. Celtic Tanks stormed the outskirts of the city, and after destroying a rifle-armed Infantry Division, retreated back to their defensive works. The Hittite leadership following this defeat, began to question the wisdom of attacking the Celts.

********************​

As the Hittite population of Harran was still recovering from the shock of Tanks advancing in the city, the Carthaginian navy contributed further to creating chaos in the city. Over 8000 Carthaginian Infantry and Commandos landed near the city and prepared to attack. It would be a race for the Celts to see who could conquer the city first.

********************​

In 1209, two Celtic brothers in the McWright family successfully patented the first combat aircraft. This came several decades after their first flight in an experimental glider. However, the invention was now useful as the Celts could attack from the skies. Their breakthrough also led to the designing of the first Celtic Airport. Construction was soon underway.

This discovery is now recognized as the point at which the Celts entered the Modern Age, which we live in now.

********************​

Unfortunately, one of the very first flights by an airliner ended its voyage in the side of the Colossus in Delhi. King Brennus was furious and the pilot of the flight was fired (despite being killed in the crash). Public outcry was so great that a monument was raised in Delhi to all of the tourists who had perished in the crash. In this way, the Colossus remained a source of tourism though it was no longer a great wonder.

********************​

In the Fall of 1213, the Celts began their assault on Harran. Beginning with a heavy artillery bombardment, the Celts destroyed the Hittite division on the front line. Crashing through the wreckage of the fallen Infantry, the 5th Armored Army proceeded to advance into the commercial district of Harran where the machine gunners atop the tanks killed over 3000 Riflemen. Realizing that defeat was imminent, the Hittite governor of the city surrendered.

Hittite resistance continued, though it was citizens rather than soldiers, so they were generally ignored as they had little effect on Celtic forces.

********************​

Now landlocked by the Celts, Sumerians, and Carthaginians, the Hittites prepared a defensive in their new capital of Ugarit. The city was the largest in the nation, and the Hittites knew that any hope for influence on the world stage would depend on defeating the coming Celtic attacks. To achieve this, the Hittites tried to lure the Celtic Armies into an open battlefield. Seeing this as the prime opportunity to use their Cavalry, the Celts obliged. Engaging in a pitched battle, the Celtic Cavalry and Hittite Riflemen were fairly evenly matched. In the end the Celts were victorious though they lost nearly 3000 men in the battle. Hittite losses were very similar, though few Hittites survived the battle.

The Celts then sent a smaller force of two Cavalry Divisions and a Commando Squad to take the city. Commandos in front went house-to-house, engaging in firefights with conscripts that lost the Celts several hundred men while killing over a thousand Hittite civilian conscripts. Hittite training was inadequate and their single-shot rifles were no match for Celtic machine guns. The Hittite conscripts proved to be more effective against the Cavalry, as they forced the retreat of the 10th Cavalry by luring them into crossfire in the City Market. However, while they celebrated their victory, the 17th Cavalry came galloping in and mowed down the panicking Hittites. Few resisted after the defeat and the government fled the city. The Celts had captured Ugarit.

Seeing no alternative, the Hittite government fled to their small colony in the tundra of Northern Canada. There, they would wait and hope that the Celts wouldn’t bother to conquer them.

********************​

In 1219, Entremont finished construction of its commercial Airport. It would provide a new way to transport people, troops, and goods from one city to another. The Airport would also provide a place to train the pilots of the planned Royal Air Force.

********************​

Hoping to remove the hostility of a superpower, the Hittites began negotiations with the Carthaginians on August 20, 1238. The negotiations were more of a series of demands from the Carthaginians, but the Hittites were forced to accept the humiliating terms. Unexpectedly for the Hittites, they no longer had anything to offer the Celts or Sumerians and the wars with the two allies continued.

********************​

The Royal Celtic Air Force became a physical presence in December 1239 as the 1st Bomber Wing was created in Entremont. Flying B-29 Bombers, the 1st Wing was the beginning of a powerful Celtic Air Force. The 2nd Bomber Wing would be created just weeks later and both Wings were assigned to fly above Celtic cities, showing off the new power of the Celtic Empire.

********************​

But the peace was not to last for the Celts. As Celtic citizens finished celebrating victory over the Hittite aggressors, a new incident would provoke a war. Russian forces under the command of General Stalin, entered Celtic territory near the border on April 17, 1257. Demanding the removal of the offending forces, the Celts offered the Russians the possibility to remove their forces and avert a war. The Russians refused and a day later, officially declared war. The Celts countered this within hours though and declared war on the Russians. Celtic forces were already mobilized and began to move against the Russian invaders.

********************​

As Celtic forces moved into attack positions, embassies around Entremont were buzzing with activity as Celtic diplomats rushed in and out of them. The first the Celts contacted were the backwards Spanish who were not only willing to let Celtic Armies pass through their territories, but also were willing to declare war on the warmongering Russians. The Celts accepted and on May 18, almost a month after the Russians invaded, Queen Isabella of the Spanish declared war on the Russian Empire.

The next to be contacted by the Celts was the Ottomans, who were allied with the Celts against the Hittites. Ottoman ambassadors were stubborn however, and refused to ally against the Russians. But King Brennus was crafty and organized a Mutual Protection Pact with the Ottomans. This Pact would remain in effect for over a century and it would eventually force the Ottomans into a war with the Russians. The Celts also gave a large amount of resources to the Ottomans so that their armies would be able to compete

Finally, the Celts contacted Queen Elizabeth of the English. While the English were backwards, they had a large army and the Celts saw them as a potential distraction for the Russians who would be engaged in a three-front war. Eventually agreeing to declare war in exchange for information on the Theory of Gravity, the English declared war on the Russians on June 4, 1257. The English would prove to be valuable allies in the Russo-Celtic War.

********************​

Many moves were made by the Royal Celtic Armed Forces in the following months.

On the newly dubbed Western Front, the Celts brought the bulk of their Armored Divisions to bear and over a couple of weeks in August; Russian Knights were crushed (literally) as Celtic Tanks plowed forward. Even the old 15th Heavy Cavalry Division was used against Russian Longbowmen, though when heavy casualties were suffered, the Celts pulled back their sword-wielding horsemen. The final battle on the Western Front was in January 1258, when the 1st Crusader Division defeated the Russian 12th Knight Division in what has been described as history’s most chivalrous battle (due largely to the Medieval-period weapons used by both sides in the battle).

On the Eastern Front, it was the Celtic Cavalry and Special Forces that were the main tool of the Celtic counteroffensive. Pushing deep into Russian territory, the Celts set themselves up to capture the city of Novgorod within a matter of months. Several labor bands were captured outside of the city and were brought back to Celtic territory in chains.

The Celtic public was exhilarated by the advances made by the Celtic armies. Despite being attacked, the Celts had yet to lose a battle in the war. Celtic morale was at an all-time high. But would the Celts be able to endure the coming Russian Winter? That remained to be seen.

if you take out the Mac in John MacWatson then you've got my name lol

if you take out the Mac in John MacWatson then you've got my name lol
Really? I didn't know that. Maybe I should change it to John Watson...
for one of the groups may I suggest a radical blood cult with human sacrifices and all that.
They'll probably be represented by the Aztec Secessionists but maybe I'll give them a small city somewhere...
:spear::spear::spear::spear::spear:
why do you always get people to gang up on a tiny nation?
Well, they should have gotten allies before they declared war on me.

Top Bottom