Favorite non-hero "heroes"

KamikazeFTW

Chieftain
Usually most of my army keeps the same name for the rest of their lives, marching against some impregnable city to soften the defenses up for more unnamed soldiers behind them...
....until you get that one guy who gets some awesome mutation, lair promo, killed orthus or all the above
Then you name this guy and can potentially become your most powerful soldier for the rest of the game.
Probably one of my favorite parts of FFH II in general is how "un-unique" (as in not a hero, dragon etc. most of the soldiers in the game are pretty awesome) can suddenly become HOLY CRAP YOU'RE AWESOME units.

I just want to hear other peoples all-time favorite non-hero "heroes" stories

I named a couple dwarf warriors who freed that village from werewolves Butch and Luke....Points to call the reference.

I just want to hear other peoples all-time favorite non-hero "heroes" stories

Rescue Angel, get Angel to Flying, get goblin-slaying event that changes race to Orcish, vampirize Angel. I was going to rename Angel the vampire, but I had a better idea, and changed my own name to Joss Whedon. :lol:

Rescue Angel, get Angel to Flying, get goblin-slaying event that changes race to Orcish, vampirize Angel. I was going to rename Angel the vampire, but I had a better idea, and changed my own name to Joss Whedon. :lol:

:D :D good one :D

but beware, there might be Buffy hiding somewhere waiting for right time to ambush

O.o I have never got the goblin slaying random event :(

haha that sounds like a very ugly angel :D

O.o I have never got the goblin slaying random event :(

haha that sounds like a very ugly angel :D

Every time you kill a Scorpion Clan Goblin, it has a chance to trigger - you find a little goblin child, and there are four options (some restricted based on Alignment). I actually see it a lot, probably because there's typically a stage in the game where there are like a thousand goblins and I have some sort of hero in need of XP.

The Orcish racial is awesome because it adds Waaagh!, making it worth losing Angel since I already had Flying and nobody was looking to be gearing up on Death and Poison damage. Goblin racial is probably not worth losing any race you might already have; if you go with switching it to Goblin, maybe consider an additional promotion (+1 poison combat or Resist Poison [which really should block the Poisoned promotion, but I digress]) to make it more attractive?

Good luck with that. ;)

(Only artefact promotions and vampire gets passed along; used to be vampire didn't, and I'm thinking I might go back to that)

..I just want to hear other peoples all-time favorite non-hero "heroes" stories

Stumpy was one of the survivors of the Dwarves/Lizardmen event. I had plenty of units, at the time, so I marched him off to the far north and stuck him with garrison duty in Podunk Nowhere, a barb city that I had capture many turns ago. Stumpy's list of promotions was not impressive. He was never as powerful as my most powerful units and he didn't experience great adventures that advanced the causes of the Empire. But, there was one time, in a far off region of the Empire, where Stumpy made a difference.

So, here ya go.. my all-time favorite non-hero "Hero." :D

Stumpy the Dented

Stumpy sat in Podunk Nowhere, cursing lizardmen. It wasn't that he hated them with as much passion as he practiced while cursing their existence - Lizardmen aren't all bad. It's the only the ones that Fate contrives such a set of circumstances as to place them as primary causes for the exile of one particular dwarf, that Stumpy was ever scornful of. Despite his rescue from a deep dungeon by the human Bannor, Stumpy was in a perpetual grim mood. After all, you can only kill a lizardman once. So, Stumpy endured another year without a transfer, another year of sitting on his rear end, guarding a city that had little purpose, no entertainment and exported nothing but boredom to the rest of the Empire.

Podunk Nowhere was located on a pleasant hill, surrounded by a mountain range that would have been beautiful if it hadn't been perpetually blanketed by snow. Located in the far North of the Empire, it was tiny, poorly producing town and, generally, the rectum of the ever expanding (in the other direction) Bannor Empire. But, Stumpy was content, in a dwarfish sort of way. He was surrounded by his beloved mountains and was generally happy, even though he spent all his time sitting on his flat, Dwarf, butt in garrison duty with a down-on-his luck archer who's equipment could only barely be called useful for a "ranged attack" if it was hurled off a wall.

The years droned on.. Stumpy sat and stared at the mountains. Sometimes, his little dwarfish ears would perk up at the sound of barbarians and he would enthusiastically ready his arms for battle. But, he never got to play in any of the barbarian games... Those were reserved for the very active and experienced guard-posts in the region. Poor Stumpy, stuck in the middle of nowhere with an idiot for a companion and equipment twice as bad.. should have stayed in the dungeon.

Then, many years after his rescue and much polishing of stone benches with his posterior, danger reared its ugly head and the Empire trembled! Stephanos appeared to terrorize the land! And, Podunk Nowhere was his first target!

Legions were assembled and proud heroes set upon the road to protect the Empire and Podunk Nowhere from the threat of Stephanos. But, the way was long and the road was much exposed to the depredations of barbarians. Passage through Archeron's territory was required and Archeron wasn't amenable to receiving diplomats.. Well, he was highly amenable to receiving diplomats for dinner, just not as a guest. The nearby outposts on the outskirts of Podunk Nowhere were quickly overrun - Stephanos was unstoppable. Several fortresses fell to Stephanos and quickly took up his banner. Evil undead glared from their battlements.

Ravaging the countryside, Stephanos finally arrived at Podunk Nowhere and Stumpy and the Archer faced their doom. Stephanos attacked the city, swooping down upon it from the impenetrable mountains only he could navigate with impunity. The archer attempted a brave, but futile, defense of the city's walls. Stephanos was not impressed. The archer fell on the first attack, his body broken and twisted. Stephanos retreated, only slightly wounded, and made ready to crush the city on his return.

But, brave little Stumpy gripped his axe and defied the First of the Horseman! Stephanos charged the gates and Stumpy, wildly swinging his axe and standing over the dismembered body of the archer, forced him to retreat, once again, to the safety of the mountains. Stephanos, wounded yet still formidable, made ready for another assault. Stumpy silently mourned the loss of his companion, the archer Kristoff the Dim. Stumpy realized that, though Kristoff hadn't been the most brilliant nor capable of the Empire's men, he was all that Stumpy had for a friend. Now, he was gone and Stumpy faced the most powerful adversary the World had yet known. But, Kristoff's life had not been given in vain - With Stumpy's bravery, the city still held!

It was then that the Legion arrived. Led by brave heroes, each looking for the honor of slaying the First of the Horseman, the Legion was a mass of longbowman, horses, chariots, sturdy champions and hard men. Stephanos couldn't face them in open battle and hope to survive. But, he did not retreat... Instead, Stephanos opted to ignore them.

Again and again, the First Horseman assailed the walls of Podunk Nowhere, Rectum of the Empire and the Seat of Stumpy. Each time, Stumpy was there, alone, wildly swinging his axe, cursing Stephanos and long dead lizardmen. Each time, Stumpy's dwarfish determination and bravery forced Stephanos to retreat to his mountain holdfast to lick his wounds.

The Legion was unable to catch him, though they tried with every resource at their disposal. Stephanos skirted around even the swiftest chariots and flew past the hardiest defenders. He flanked the main force several times, charging past their lines to, yet again, attack Podunk Nowhere. Stephanos was no longer a demon of the distant past, emerging into the present to terrorize a world. Now, he was a demon of pride with a single-minded purpose - Destroy Podunk Nowhere and raze it to the ground, along with the bones of a certain defiant dwarf!

Baron Duin Halfmorn, Knight Commander of the Armies of the Bannor, faced a dilemma. He could split his forces, hoping to corral the wildly charging Stephanos, but only at risk to the unsupported troops that would be sacrificed to hold him at bay. Or, he could garrison Podunk Nowhere and hope to meet him on the field of battle beneath its walls. But, the city was a desolate place and of little value to the Empire when faced with the prospect that if the Baron abandoned his current lines, Stephanos would then be free to travel South, deep into the heart of the Empire's main production centers. No, if Podunk Nowhere fell, so be it - The Empire would sacrifice a city in order to defeat the First of the Horsemen.

The war waged on. It was a game of maneuver and impassible mountains, of lives wasted in fruitless attempts at baiting the First of the Horseman and of missed opportunities when Stephanos was exposed, yet no units could make good an attempt to destroy him. It was a constant siege, of the impregnable mountain strongholds of Stephanos where he bandaged his wounds and of the terrible onslaughts he brought upon Podunk Nowhere and its lone defender. It was a war punctuated by Stephanos's vendetta. At every opportunity, Stephanos pushed past the forces arrayed against him by the Baron and assailed Podunk Nowhere. Again and again, Stumpy continued to defy him and met him at the walls with his axe in hand, throwing curses and wild swings with equal abandon.

It seemed nothing could stop Stephanos and nothing could end the stalemate. The Baron could order Stumpy to quit the city and take his chances, as best he could, traveling through Archeron's lands to reach a suitable refuge. But, the Baron had grown fond of the surly little dwarf. He may have had his own personal demons, but the Baron recognized bravery and courage when he saw it and, somewhere within his heart, he remembered honor. No, Stumpy would have his chance to leave his mark on the world. He could remain in the city as its lone defender, until death took him.. or worse.

During the winter campaign, the tide seemed to turn for the Empire. After much planning, the Baron set an ambush for Stephanos. This time, it would be something he couldn't refuse. A "volunteer" unit was unwittingly recruited as a sacrificial goat. Chariots and archers were placed in strategic positions, ready to launch their counter-attack. Heroes readied their arms, cinched their armor and moved to their positions. The Baron had learned of Stephanos's vendetta against Podunk Nowhere and knew it was a prize he couldn't resist. In a complicated trap, Stephanos was caught outside of his moutain refuge and the Baron's brilliant maneuver finally succeeded where so many other's failed! Or, so he thought. Though Stephanos was killed, he was not destroyed.

The next year, Stephanos came back with a vengeance. The Baron had not consulted the Empire's sages, had not read the lore surrounding Stephanos and had thoroughly misjudged his capabilities. Stephanos was reborn and was twice-filled with rage. He mounted yet another series of assaults against Podunk Nowhere, ignoring the Baron's insignificant forces. Retreating to the impassible mountains, he was unassailable by any counter-attacking force.

It took many years before Stephanos was finally defeated in a carefully orchestrated campaign that sacrificed many men for the victory. None are sure how many attacks Stumpy endured. He doesn't speak about it much. Though, during the Winter's evening snows in Podunk Nowhere when the blizzards are their worst and the mountains that Stumpy loves so much are shrouded in their embrace, he mutters curses under his breath of long-dead lizardmen.. and demons.

In my game as the elohim, I created a few ratha and horsemen to better defend my borders from the multiple people attacking me at once. After a few good hit-and-runs, one horseman and one ratha got fairly highly promoted, the horseman with all movement and withdrawal promos, with the ratha getting combat ones, so one to soften and one to kill, in addition to the others running about. After a while, I decided I wanted to finish the pilgrimage, so I sent these two out after the few remaining improvements. They managed to skirt barbarian and animal hordes, get some opportunistic kills, including some heroes, and the ratha killed baron halfmorn, getting werewolfed in the process. After I figured out these two were some of my most powerful units, I rushed mounted combat, and promoted them both to war chariots. After that, nothing could stop them. They were both around level 20 by the end of the game.

Typically when I get a standard unit like that, that becomes incredibly powerful, I name them 'Avatar', so that 'Krug's Avatar just killed a Calabim Phalanx'

I'm naming my next balor stumpy in his honor.:mischief:

Captain D'Veil L Piccard
These are the stories of the naval vessel, frigate3. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new oceans, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no infernal has gone before. duh, duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh, duh-duh:)

SeaDate 012BRUM3STIK
Frigate3, along with her 3 sister vessels and 2 supporting arcane barges, is on a return voyage to home port, after a long fruitless purge of seabound enemies of the empire, when out of nowhere, 4 monstress serpents, each easily 3 times the size of the largest frigate surround the fleet on all sides. Captain Piccard curses his luck as one of the scaly monstrosities slams into the adjacent frigate, ISS Oprah, exploding in an extraordinarilly violent manner in mere seconds. Lightning flashes, striking the surrounding serpents, and briefly gives off a radiance overpowering even in broad daylight; on this moonless light it was almost blinding, but captain Piccard was not even dazed-he was an infernal d@$% it, not some pansy elohim monk! Instantaneously, this is followed by twin balls of fire as one serpent is engulfed by the black-red water, that seems to be screaming out for blood in this void of obsidian black terror.

"Fall back to sector 50, 120" Piccard bellows, as the 3 remaining serpents close in.
Dean Troll, the ship's psion relays the message to the other ships in the fleet managing to skim out of range through the opening left by the dead serpent. They keep their retreat on untill early morning, but their reprieve will prove to be short-lived as chief of ship security, Lieutenant Worg, makes his appearance on deck.

"Captain, enemy vessels are in close pursuit" Worg barks, in a grinding voice

"Captain, we have the anti-sea monster ammunition ready and loaded, should we fire?" chimes in the goateed, second-in-command demon, known as number two

"Make it so." orders the Captain.

A volley of withering fires rains from the two neighboring vessels, hammering the sea serpents, and spurring them foward with even greater ferocity and roars of defiance, promising a swift death to any demon caught in their jagged, engulfing maws. Frigate3 was unmoved by their display. Foward they went, sending harpoons into both serpents, drawing them in like fish on a hook, as the rangers on board use their animal skills to calm and subdue the now-captured monsters. Their duty was now to the Infernal empire. The final serpent, hidden under the dark, glassy waves untill this very moment strikes-disintegrating the side of the frigate board-by-board, in a hellish moment that seems like an eternity to the seamen onboard, but not to the dam*ed souls engulfed in the pergatory of digestion and jagged maw.

"Hull integrity is at 40% Captain, we're not going to be able to take another hit like that!" the ships carpenter screams over the screams of mangled sailors and cracking boards.

"Move straight ahead." the Captain replies

"But..that will seperate us from the rest of the fleet.." Worg stammers, dumbfounded by the order.

"Do it" Piccard confirms "it may be our only chance to survive this attack.

The vessel moves foward as the serpent surges skyward, poised like a viper to deliver a final coup de grace to the damaged vessel, but instead of its damaged prey, it faces two fast-closing vessels that were still unscathed. They open fire and the serpent cries, a deafening trumpet of anguish, tasting its death. Its body slams onto the ocean surface sending a monstrous blade of water into air, and sinks to the brimy-depth like a stone. The wave slams into Captain Piccard's frigate, sending many of the ships red-coated seamen to the ocean floor.The fleet resumes course to port leaving the redcoated crew members, who nobody really cared about anyway, to slowly drown.

Prologue: Captain's Journal, SeaDate ~_7965
"Today we returned to port, and I believe I can speak for all of us when I say we have made the sea a safer place for demons the world over, and along the way we have all learned a valuable lesson on friendship.
Captain Piccard out."

:D

...Stumpy sounds like a truly great man. Err, dwarf. :p

I just re-read it... I had to revise it for length and revised-out a few necessary bits. :D Oh well, stuff happens when you're in a hurry, trying to get something down.

That little dwarf's stand at Podunk Nowhere mad me re-assess the value of fortification bonuses.. And, watching the AI charge Stephanos at Podunk Nowhere, over and over again with complete disregard for other targets, has served me well in other games. I also pay a bit more attention to the "flying" promotion than I had before. There are times when I would have given an eye-tooth for one flying unit with an effective attack, just to take that last hit point away.

Stumpy taught me a lot. His save has long since been erased. But, these days it's a rare thing when I don't choose to ally with the Dwarves in that event. I'm sure to tell them all about Stumpy, before they get assigned to New Podunk Nowhere...

Top Bottom