AbNESVII .•°*”˜ The Many Coloured Lands ˜”*°•.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manak/Terrance888
Colour: Royal Yellow
Background: They started as a Semi-Barbaric tribe moving into more settled territory (red zone), and, like their many predecessors, were defeated by the then strong kingdom. However, the Kingdom was greatly weakened and didn't persue to defeat the Manakese camp. The Manak soon begun absorbing culture from the weakening Kingdom and subjugating more migrants from the west whence it had once came. By the time the ancient Kingdom finally fell to a combination of a barbarian attack and an Manakese Invasion, they had adopted many trappings of their civilization.
However, the Manakese still considered themselves a seperate people. Although they were pushed by the victorious barbarians (who themselves were assimilated) and their own kingdom destroyed the Manakan region became fiercely proud of their mixed culture yet accepting of individual changes as they come.
As a people they are divided into a few weak kingdoms constantly under threat of new barbarians invading from the west, north and south, and their ancient foe to the east. (I would like to start when one Kingdom gets an advantage OR with several equal kingdoms engaging in a war of unification, I am also allowing space for a classic Chinese style civilization)

My Bear cavalry people were Finns, so they fall well outside of any sort of cradle.

But I think I'd rather go in a direction more like this one for this game, if you don't mind me trying to find some other outlandish animals to domesticate:

Carthage / SKILORD
Colour: Red? Green? Blue? Brown? in that order.
Background: The immortal city of Carthage has stood since time immemorial, it is said that the first man to ever catch a fish did so on that site, and legend tells that he took that fish and shared it among his fellows and they came at once and discovered that the Gods had built Carthage for them to commemorate their new harmony with the Sea.

Factual basis of Carthegian origin myth is impossible to find, but as the people of Carthage know it, this is where they believe they come from. Some pioneering thinkers have even dreamed up the notion of one day having boats, but they are laughed off as idle dreamers.

Starting locations thus far... I am liking the eurocentricity. It would make it easier to mod. An considering it will be eons (an let face it) unlikely the "cradles" will ever meet...

Charles, you wouldn't consider moving over there if no other Chinese players start?

Spoiler :

Love the name of the nes :). Will get my basic name/stats to you tonight for your return from hols :)

You better do :p Look at other peoples examples for inspiration.

Entrants So Far

Corsica/Sardinia area please!

Sagenta / Milarqui
Government: Council of Elders
Colour: Red Blood
Background: Many hundreds of years ago, the people of what is now called Sagenta lived in caves and other natural refuges. All the caves had a great meeting every year, to be able to discuss things that affected the whole community.
With time, the place where the caves met started to have several permanent structures built, such as a building where the Elders met, and that would be the eventual center of government of the nation, or the temple where the people started to pray for Mother Nature to help them in their attempts to survive. Those permanent structures eventually gave way to a small town where some people lived, those that mantained the temple and meeting building.
Slowly, more people came to live, first to bring food to the people that had been living there previously, then the town became a trading hub for the caves, and slowly the town became a city, as more houses were built. The caves would be influenced by the development of the city, as people started to come out of there, building their towns around the caves, which would become the sacred places for the people. By the time Cita Sagenta (the name of the city) had grown to become big enough, everybody looked up to Cita Sagenta to lead them towards greatness.

Viminala / Thomas.berubeg
Colour: Gold
Background: Soon

Messene / erez87
Colour: Royal Blue
Background: The Messene tribes of Illyria have found themselves in decay for many decades now. Slowly but surely they were being pushed out of their teritories by other greater tribes until they could take it no more. In a great diaspora across the sea the Messene immigrated and settled in a new place, the heel of Italy. Here the Messene live peacful lives, trade with the environment around them, and are never pushed out anymore. Slowly their tribal culture develops.

Aostra / DarthNader
Colour: Brown
Background: Coming Soon

Eruar / LDiCesare
Colour: Dark Blue
Background: Tribes of shepherds from the eastern mountains, called the Erulla, once moved into the valley of the two rivers. There they met some farmers who dwelt there (the Ninnuar) and fought some wars until the shepherds got the upper hand and eventually became assimilated. This led to a society with a clear separation between a nobility of former shepherds and a peasantry. Although people intermingled a lot and nooneis of pure Erulla or Ninnuar descent, nobles still boast about their Erulla origins. They will claim that their bigger size, darker hair and whatnot proves their noble ancestry.

Manak/Terrance888
Colour: Royal Yellow
Background: They started as a Semi-Barbaric tribe moving into more settled territory (red zone), and, like their many predecessors, were defeated by the then strong kingdom. However, the Kingdom was greatly weakened and didn't persue to defeat the Manakese camp. The Manak soon begun absorbing culture from the weakening Kingdom and subjugating more migrants from the west whence it had once came. By the time the ancient Kingdom finally fell to a combination of a barbarian attack and an Manakese Invasion, they had adopted many trappings of their civilization.
However, the Manakese still considered themselves a seperate people. Although they were pushed by the victorious barbarians (who themselves were assimilated) and their own kingdom destroyed the Manakan region became fiercely proud of their mixed culture yet accepting of individual changes as they come.
As a people they are divided into a few weak kingdoms constantly under threat of new barbarians invading from the west, north and south, and their ancient foe to the east. (I would like to start when one Kingdom gets an advantage OR with several equal kingdoms engaging in a war of unification, I am also allowing space for a classic Chinese style civilization)

My Bear cavalry people were Finns, so they fall well outside of any sort of cradle.

But I think I'd rather go in a direction more like this one for this game, if you don't mind me trying to find some other outlandish animals to domesticate:

Carthage / SKILORD
Colour: Red? Green? Blue? Brown? in that order.
Background: The immortal city of Carthage has stood since time immemorial, it is said that the first man to ever catch a fish did so on that site, and legend tells that he took that fish and shared it among his fellows and they came at once and discovered that the Gods had built Carthage for them to commemorate their new harmony with the Sea.

Factual basis of Carthegian origin myth is impossible to find, but as the people of Carthage know it, this is where they believe they come from. Some pioneering thinkers have even dreamed up the notion of one day having boats, but they are laughed off as idle dreamers.

Abby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age
Read this for an all around picture of the world around the time the NES most likely starts... Will give you ideas how to install NPC's and how to allow people to advance their countries. (For example Carthage is HUGE for an area that is mostly a desert).

If you provide me with historical data, or other information, I will use it, to your advantage or someone else's disadvantage.. but otherwise, do what you want!

Thank you Erez :)

Hada-kesh
Colour: Purple
Background: The inhabitants of the Nile Delta for some time had no real stable leadership, becoming conquered by outside forces, or simply collapsing on themselves due to infighting. However, recently a group of conspirators, after overthrowing the old rulers, actually managed to keep things together long enough to create a somewhat stable government. A council of nobility, shamans, and warlords elects one of their own as Head of the Council (Nalo), and then advise him on various matters. Ultimately the decisions are up to him, but rarely does the Nalo go against the majority of the Council's wishes, for fear of deposition and execution.

The idea of a civil war horrifies the ruling class, as they still remember tales of the mistakes of past regimes. This has lead to a rather timid government, who does not press taxes too much, nor is infighting in the government common. The Council and the Nalo might disagree, but are often too scared of one another to really force their views on the other. Rebellions do crop up, they are ruthlessly crushed, often times willingly not just by the army, but by the average peasant as well. Conformity and stability are ingrained in the Hada-keshi culture, and every part of society holds great disdain for those the upset the status quo.

This look good Abaddon?

Abaddon, Terrance wanted to be on the Yellow River, not the the Amur River. The Yellow River is the river south of the Amur.

Ah bugger, yet another reason he might consider moving to Europe ;)

I was super tempted to try and start in America just to throw everything off, so I can understand what he's going for. Not that he's trying anything sinister, and besides, it's just Asia.

And so the Tao made itself clear through the form of Hannibal, and he looked out among the tribes who had assembled in Carthage.

And woe, for they were in great disarray. He was humbled at the sight of his people.

He cried out, during the night, what is to happen of us, our men can barely defend us against wild animals, suppose armed and trained men came to pillage what little wealth we can harvest from the seas? Suppose that the weather turns ugly or the fish should learn to flee our nets? How are we prepared in any way? We are but humble fishermen and ill equipped to deal with the myriad uncertainties of fate.

For the Tao was clear to Hannibal, and so he was called a prophet by some.

But others, they mocked him among themselves, saying, "What of this Hannibal, who speaks so often of disaster, of preparation, what does he know? Is he so wise in predicting the weather? Can he foretell the next hour upon which the elephants shall stampede into our homes? No, No he cannot and so I say that this Hannibal is no prophet, he is just a bummer."

Hannibal had heard these things, and among many people he was beginning to gain influence, and so men of the tribes of Carthage came to him and asked, "What of these traitors? Can we permit them to draw breath when they use it only to spin lies and to subvert the city?"

But Hannibal was wise in the way of the Tao, and so he said to them, "Do not bother of these men. They have grown fat on peaceful, happy times, but balance shall come, for every day of sunshine there is a day of storm. Let us instead prepare for these times."

And so among his men Hannibal did begin to anoint farmers, and some others were tasked in the digging of ditches, and in ensuring that the essential infrastructure was maintained.

And those who remained fishermen, from among them Hannibal required a tithe of their catch, which he did give to the farmers and the ditch diggers as they worked.

And Hannibal himself was known to survey the crops as they grew, was known to dig alongside the diggers, and when there were men among him who asked that they too might learn the Tao, he often had them dig and farm and he asked them to find the Tao in those tasks. For, as Hannibal spoke often to his followers, the Tao resides in a course of action that will benefit mankind. The other tribes are weak, or barbarous. They lack the wisdom of the Carthegians, they do not know the Tao. And so in digging ditches and in storing up grain and crops these men came to believe that they were contributing to their people.

Still the detractors laughed, and were known to steal grain, and so Hannibal did anoint guards to protect the grain, and he called them the Eyes of the Prophet and lo, they became soon feared among the unfaithful.

But a scourge worse than civil policemen was soon to befall Carthage, as the seas turned red. And this great and terrible pestilence did consume the seas for many months, and in that time no fish could be caught in the nets, and only a few fish remained floating dead in the water.

And the disbelievers they starved, for they could not fish, but in those days the faithful of the Tao did feast every night upon the stored food of the field. And when the faithless came upon the house where Hannibal lived, and when they asked him that he might open the eyes of the prophet upon them and grant them the power to eat with the faithful, Hannibal blessed them and said unto them, "Come brothers, you must learn first, how to dig a ditch, and how to bring the land to fruit."

And as they practiced they knew, and as they knew they ate.

And so the Great Prophet did extend the shadow of his hand across the lands around the immortal city.

Nation Name / Player Name: Algonquin Sabinia / Boundless
Colour: Light blue
Background: The Algonquin Sabinians are a community based on three values: materials, money and family. A council sitting in Caligari rules the island: made up of two kings, Alboin and Bergamo, and their 6 princesses. Women are strictly home-bound, and men are allowed as many wives as they desire to procreate. However, women are also the most honored beings on the island due to their high family values, alongside the animal the Giara horse, which is not allowed to be hunted. Money is in the form of exchange: goods are exchanged on a value of usefulness basis. They are now at a time of great prosperity due to the discovery of an unknown substance in the earth which they feel could be of some use to them in their developments as a community. The land is mostly granite rocks and fields for farming, though the hot and dry weather causes some problems with production.

Nation Name / Player Name: Algonquin Sabinia / Boundless
Colour: Light blue
Background: The Algonquin Sabinians have been on the island of Sardinia before the founding of Rome. They went into decline when the Roman Empire boomed and were a target as they had detained some Romans in Sardinia due to Sabinians being captured and taken to mainland Italy. They are, however, now at a time of great prosperity due to a great mining community which has been developed on the island, and have built railways and land roads for great transport on the island. They value materials, money and family.
Bronze Age Fresh Start, mate. The Roman Empire will not exist in this game. Not in its actual form, at least.

Perhaps it's a granite railway? ;) but yes, needs a bit more research I think! :p

Yeah logic failed - I didn't really think that through properly :p. Will sort it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom