AbNESVII .•°*”˜ The Many Coloured Lands ˜”*°•.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh what the hell, I'll do it :).

Illyria / EnglishCrusader
Colour: Grey
Background: The Illyrian people were originally a Greek tribe who moved up north to settle near the Dinaric Alps mountain range, but have now lost contact with the other Greek settlements. They have been isolated from the rest of the world for almost 500 years and haven't ventured outside their own lands since they moved north from Greece. To the west, north and south, they are shielded by the mountains and to the east they have thousands of acres of fertile lands to expand. The Illyrians haven't yet set up a port on the Adriatic coast, as the area is ripe with many pirates raiding all along the coast.

The Illyrian people have set up many mines in the mountains to the west and are mining huge reserves of iron (We can have iron, right? If not, I'll change it) deep within the mountain range and use it for many purposes, such as weaponry, armour, tools and as a construction material. Wheat is the main crop grown within their lands, with olives, grapes and citrus fruits also being grown commonly by the Illyrians. They are trading partners with several inland barbarian tribes, mainly trading their vast reserves of iron.

However, not all barbarians are friendly towards the Illyrian people. Although the west, north and south are shielded by the mountains, many raids from the east over the years have hardened the once peaceful Illyrian people. They rely on heavy infantry to hold their enemies and archers to pepper with arrows, using their iron and talented smiths to create very strong armour. They usually use their heavy infantry in the winter when it starts to get very cold but in the hot summers they rely more on their archers who have lighter armour, but is still heavy compared to the archers of other nations. Their heavy infantry are their unique units, equipped with quality armour and weapons and very well trained.

The Illyrians are a peaceful people but are ready to defend their lands at any cost. For the past 500 years they have stayed in their own territory, but overpopulation has led to the voices of many people requesting expansion, and with more iron being produced than is needed the Illyrians could look to expand east, into the plains, or west to get a port set up on the Adriatic to open up more trading possibilities.

Yay, nice intro

REDOING

Messape / erez87
Color: Royal Blue
Background: Once a group of peaceful Illyrian tribes the Messape speaking culture have immigrated to the heel of Italy in search for a peaceful existence. The numerous aggressive Illyrian tribes of other kinds and cultures proven to many. In Italy things have become different. Trade with nearby cultures have begun and a movement of ideas and technologies move between the groups. Messape tribal communities have begun settling down and abandoning the hunting-gathering ways of old and quickly adopting agriculture as a source for food and many are free to begin the specialize in other things. Pottery is quickly gaining hand as well as some forms of metallurgy (importing metals remains the main source for them, aiding trade in the process). The Messape growing towns slowly turn into free city states on the heel of Italy. Each city is completely free from the others but there is a strong tendency of unification in times of outside trouble and so the cities make more of a loose league of city states (each in control of its nearby environment) and less of totally self absorbed city states or a united large single state.

OOC: You need me to write names for the major cities?

Nothing is a need but any extra stuff people add is appreciated and will be rewarded.

Background has been updated.

An what is the name of this unknown substance?

I have been reading about the Bronze age.

Did you know it's not a very simple thing to get tin in order to make Bronze? There are no sources of thin in the middle east or eastern Mediterranean. The sources I read about were either the far east or western Europe (Iberia, British Islands, northern Germany). Bronze wasn't very easy to get either (main sources are northern Balkan, Caucasus and one important source in Sardinia!). This hard lack of resource points forced the world of the Bronze age to develop ships and trade to bring materials from far away.

They are still unsure where the middle east got its tin! They assume through Greece->North Europe, and from Iberia and the British islands (Tin from Britain in Persia through Phoenician traders!)

The Iron Age really did ruin this need for far away tin as Iron is very widespread and sources are much more easily secured.

Just some stuff I thought should influence the developing world.

The earliest bronze was arsenical bronze, in Mesopotamia in particular, around 4000BC and earlier. Tin replaced arsenic some 2 millenia later, leading to a lot of trade, most likely because it was easier to control the amount of tin in the alloy, but maybe also because arsenic is a poison and melting it may be quite bad for health.
Anyway, since we're starting around 3000BC, it's most likely that hardly anyone knows tin-bronze, and bronze is still arsenic-copper alloy. It would take 500 years before people realised tin was better than arsenic (most likely in Syria where there were some minor tin mines), leading to widespread tin trade with Spain, Brittany and Germany/Czech regions (plus northern Italy).

The earliest bronze was arsenical bronze, in Mesopotamia in particular, around 4000BC and earlier. Tin replaced arsenic some 2 millenia later, leading to a lot of trade, most likely because it was easier to control the amount of tin in the alloy, but maybe also because arsenic is a poison and melting it may be quite bad for health.
Anyway, since we're starting around 3000BC, it's most likely that hardly anyone knows tin-bronze, and bronze is still arsenic-copper alloy. It would take 500 years before people realised tin was better than arsenic (most likely in Syria where there were some minor tin mines), leading to widespread tin trade with Spain, Brittany and Germany/Czech regions (plus northern Italy).
Yay more knowledge!

Soooo, is it still okay for me to have iron? Or should I change it?

Edit: 1,000!

Viminala / Thomas.berubeg
Colour: Gold
Background: The seven hills on which the Viminala, among others, tribe settled happened to control one of the best fords on the river Tibar, which partially bisects the peninsula. Waves of Migrations resulted in various small villages scattered on both shores of the river, by people of descent from as far as northern Italy and sicily, though, most lost thier cultural identity in favor of the Local Viminalan one. three hundred years ago, a tall, Redheaded and blue eyed warrior people known as the Equetri, ruled with an iron fist by a warlord, swept in and conquered the various tribes on the hill, and established Viminala as his capital. Over time, the Culture of the conquerer and the Conquered assimilated, as the Equetri took local wives and slaves, and the lines between the pale Equetri and Swarthi Viminala blurred, until both came to be known as Viminala

Wandering if I could sign up quickly for my first NES.... Wandering if we can settle anywhere in the world.

Ostava / Tycho
Color: Red
Background: Originally migrants, the people of Ostava hail from a variety of places. Initially from central and northern Asia, they have in time picked up people and travelers from all over. Centuries ago they settled this place and have long harvested the bounties of the sea and the land, taking in large catches of fish and creating fine wooden monuments. Although the many ethnicitiy society does from time to time have internal disputes and struggles, for the most part the Ostavans are peaceful.

Yes, please relocate to somewhere nearby everyone else terrance - around the med etc...

Tycho you can start there, but you will be a smaller, more backward nation initially.

Everyone else - thank you for the information, all very helpful for myself and everyone I am sure :)

Can we not change things a little like having deposits of whatever metal near us? Or does it have to be by where it actually is?

I'll take a player vote on that. EVERYONE, strong, realistic resources, or should I simply give those on known resource locations +1 economy or something ?

As long as it's still balanced I don't really mind to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom