TuxLife

Looks great, but beware the ever-escalating graphical evolution as well :) My advice is to make a conscious effort to keep the graphics simple and easy, or before you know it you will spend an hour on a single species graphic, and anything less will make it seem you don't care about that player. Best to keep it simple from the beginning!

I expect the graphics to evolve over time. Partially intentional though as I want to personally improve my own ability. My current process takes 5 to 10 min with about half of that on thinking what I will do. Worse case, I know things will slow up in Jan. anyway due to school.

Passenger : filli_noctus
Evolved from: Sponger
Gene added : Phoresy
Description: Although outwardly similar to its' parent species the Passenger has developed a unique trick. In addition to clinging onto the ground a Passenger can grip onto another species and use them as transport. In this manner Passengers are able to expand their range faster than Spongers and evade predation (at least the host evades predation on the Passengers behalf). Passengers hitch lifts as spores when a potential host brushes against the parent or if a drifting spore encounters a host. Spores that do not encounter hosts tend to settle on the seabed like a Sponger.

If there is anything at all I can do to help this NES, please say so.

I'm going to end new evolutions now. I've only got a few more creatures to draw and then I'll start the write up. ETA still some time tonight.

:w00t:

Creatures done. Most Environments Done. (Still finishing up warm shallows and deep sea). Time to take exam, then go to work. Will finish up at work.

Era 2: The Smellustrum Layer

This era is named for the many imprints of Tailus Smellus found throughout the sediment layer. Globally, the climate continued to cool slightly. Astronomically, if there were intelligent beings on this planet to make note of such things, a new periodic comet has appeared. It seems to return about every 93 stellar orbits of the planet. It is uncertain what sent this comet into the inner star system or if this affects anything else.

In the warm shallows, competition was fierce as ever. The Stabber and the Vampira Major were the top predators of the region and constantly fought over the same resources. This led to neither dominating overall. The Stabber had better reach with its claws, but the Vampira Majors teeth allowed for faster eating. Therefore, overall the Vampira Major had a slight edge in acquiring energy and so had slightly greater numbers.

These two predators led to the extinction of Clawers, Spongers, and Vampira Minors. Additionally, the Oronger and Artropodia Milarca struggled at least partially due to them.

Artropodia Nessia had evolved a poisonous spike that provided protection from the predators. This provided a unique opportunity for the Passenger which attached to other creatures for transportation. More often than not, Passengers were found on Artropodia Nessia since they both were plankton feeders. The spike helped protect the Passenger and the Passenger provided a buffer between the Artropodia Nessia and the mouths of predators.

The Clawer Pheremoni was a prime food source for the two predators. However, population levels were maintained because when around other members of the same species the Clawer Pheremoni excreted chemicals that triggered reproductive activity. This lead to large numbers of offspring. Many of whom ended up as dinner for a Stabber or Vampira Major.

The Slimer Basicus was replaced by the Slimer Secondus which was capable of quickly replacing bits damaged by various creatures crawling around on it. It continued the trend of mostly inhabiting the sea floor below Peregrinor and now Haptors. The Haptors helped increase the amount of material falling down onto the Slimer Secondus for supplemental food.

The Slimer began to struggle as the Slimer Secondus was slowly supplanting it.

Peregrinors continued to do well and were increasingly accompanied by Haptors. Haptors made life more dangerous in the shaded area below these floating plants. A threat that ultimately ended the Sticky Floater. It is not certain whether the Haptor and Sticky Floater evolved separately to the disadvantage of the Sticky Floater, or if the Haptor evolved in response to the Sticky Floater’s tendency to latch onto the Peregrinor. Regardless, the Sticky Floater did not last long in this era. Even after the extinction of the Sticky Floater, Haptors continued to have decent access to nearly all swimming and drifting creatures.

The Floater went extinct. It was unable to handle the threat of Haptors, Barbed Eaters, and the few remaining Floater Eaters. Floater Eaters were struggling to hang on and often were meals for Barbed Eaters or Haptors.

The Barbed Eater was able to hang on to prey better than its ancestor. It still spent most of its time filtering plankton, but not when it drifted into something edible, it was able to actually eat most of its prey before currents washed its food away.

The Sea Drifter did well as it oddly managed to start photosynthesizing on its own. The sunlight provided some energy that was used to hold off starvation in plankton-free regions, but it wasn’t enough to power all the Sea Drifter’s functions.

The Tailus continued to do well. However, its descendant Tailus Smellus was the king of the sea. With increased swimming ability and the ability to detect the chemical ‘scent’ of plankton, the Tailus Smellus was the first creature that was truly able to seek out food instead of relying on chance and luck. While it was able to avoid predators by detecting their scent, the sheer numbers meant that some Tailus Smellus would fall prey to the various predators.

Orophulas was occasionally seen in the warm shallows or open ocean, but it thrived in the cold shallows to which it adapted. With no predators in this area and no competition for its food source, the Orophulas enjoyed a comfortable existance.

The Frozen Slimer continued to do well in the same region.

Deep below the surface, the Thermal Miner continued to do well, remaining near the hot deep sea vents protected it from the newest threat. Altum Carnem developed a taste for more than the rotten corpses that fell from above. It could be found eating the Kato Skavoun and on occasion, the Altum Comedentis. The Miner went extinct due to this threat.

Nothing could survive on land yet.

Though an older evolution the Frozen Slimer is currently the most successful plant : + 1 gene to Abaddon.

The Tailus Smellus is the most widespread animal : +1 gene to erez87

Creature List
- If anyone has trouble viewing this, let me know.

GREAT UPDATE!
Gonna start branching soon. Hopefully the Stabbers won't due too fast without my supervision. :D.

EDIT: Adding the thriving/stable/endangered/extinct levels on there. Really hard to evolve something other than my beloved Stabber as of yet, as I still label some of them "enemy, MUST OUT EVOLVE RARGH!" :p

EDITEDIT:
Stabber : Terrance888
Evolved from : Clawer
Genes (4): Eating Dead Things x1, Eating Live Things x1, Crawling x1, Claws x1
Description: Discovering the joy of meat eating, the Clawer quickly evolved into the Stabber, who in this early era can basically kill and eat anything it bumps into... so far.

----------------------------------------

Cutter : Terrance888
Evolved from: Stabber
Genes (4) : Eating Dead Things x1, Eating Live Things x1, Crawling x1, Claws x1, Vision Recognition X1
Description: (Short)- The Cutter took advantage of their longer reach by developing vision. This allows them to life the veil both on prey hiding by staying still and on other predator's clumsy attacks. They are named cutters because the way they start using their claws for much more sophisticated combat maneuvers.
Long- The Stabber, like all early creatures, still relied on the basic senses. Basic light/darkness, slight temperature variations, limited chemical reception and some ability to feel. Of these, chemical reception is used to find strong-smelling corpses, and feelings are used to strike on anything it managed to bumped into. For anything other than direct contact, these senses are too weak to do much.
However, conflict with other stabbers and Vampira Majors caused the growth of slight recognition. Bumping into a Vampira is a 50/50 affair; the front half would lead to it turning and striking with its mouth, and the back would lead to an easy stab into the back legs before it can react. Some early Cutters can sense vague grey shapes, and learned to cut towards the shapes instead of flailing in all directions. Although they sometimes ruined their blades on rocks or unedible objects, many times it allowed them to kill and eat things they would have risked intimate contact with.
These bred, and soon this sight developed into the very basic colors-Green for Chlorophyll was isolated and ignored, however, movement, especially that of other crawleri, attracted this primitive eye. It was able to sense the moving shapes, shapes contrasting greatly from the enviroment, and place the body in that framework.
From then on, cutters were born. They roamed the sea floor in search of food, often finding prey who barely noticed them until the sharp blade cuts into their legs. Their eyesight ranged further and better than any other creature of this era, and this advantage proved especially devastating to other stabbers and vampira majors.
Previously, in duels they would flail their weapons towards contact. Now, the cutters learned to aim their blade at sensative spots- the legs, the edge of the mouth, the top of the head. In addition, they learned to block enemy strikes.
With Cutters now marching on the battlefield of evolution, what can the Vampirae come up?

Sea Drifter

-->

Sun Drifter/SouthernKing
Gene Added: Respiration +1
Description: The Sun Drifter now has the ability to breathe in the air above water, allowing for it to drift at the surface, allowing for more photosynthesis energy. Although it can still eat plankton, it is doing this less and less.

Unrelated: I like the artwork :thumbsup:

Webed Eater : TerrisH
Evolved From: Barbed Eater
Genes (4): Flesh Eating x1, Plankton Eating x1, Drifting x1, barbed hooks x1
New Gene: Quick Swimming x1
Description: as time went on, the barbed eater survived. they drifted, occasionally bumping into things to eat. but their range was limited. some continued on as they were, plesently floating with the currents. but others.. they began to move. many of their tendrils begin to change. lengthening over the generations, and spreading out into small webbed limbs. wile not very efficient, they were surprisingly powerful, allowing the eater to propel itself short distances at great speed. perfect for escaping any predator that came upon it, or toward any prey it's limited senses could perceive. (which, admittedly, was not much. usually just some creature that swam to close, or one that bumped into it, but it's hooks failed to latch onto.)

It can basically move very quickly for 2-3 seconds. but tires out quickly. ah, one more gene to go, and I can move onto the next creature.

Kingdom: Animalia
All Animals
Phylum: Crawlerus
All animals descended from the ancient Crawler and it's body plan.
Class: Clawstrum
All Crawlerus descended from the Clawer, and therefore it's claws and its way of life.
Order: Carnitum
All Clawstrum who developed to eat meat, often using claws as a mid-ranged weapon
Genus: Cutteritur
All Carnitus who developed the eyesight needed to start aiming their claws. Might grow into Family (or more) as time goes on.

Crawlerus Clawstrum->Crawlerus Clawstrum Carnitum Stabbititur->Crawlerus Clawstrum Carnitum Cutteritur

You're missing the Vampira Major in that tree :)

EDIT: And the Sea Drifter

Well then, I guess I'll have to fix that.

Yeah, all the creatures should be in the stats correctly now. Including the Passenger. Seems like I just missed the last 3 posted.

Top Bottom