Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

Hey,

OOC
Wow, only four players left! Are we allowed to adopt NPCs, or at least write stories for their sake?

Can I bring this NPC home with me? I promise I will feed it, take care of it, and read it lots of stories!
Sounds like a dangerous idea. What would these NPC be, MOD created or a players creation. Would you write for your cradle or the other cradle. How many NPCs. Stats? What kinds of rules would the writer be under to limit abuse. :mischief:

Blaze Injun

1) Mod created! This idea is to give a little more flavor to SKILlord's world while this dearth of players (why haven't this NES been full yet?) continues.

2) Other cradle, although some coopt stories might work (Sudan/Satura planning for war)

3) As many as you want. There will be a limit to total stories and 1 story per NPC per player.

4) Rules to limit abuse must be good rules, of course.

Hey,

OOC

Update! :run: Update! :run: Update! :run:

How about we wait for the Update and what SKILORD thinks? We only started with 6 players. One went to the sand & sun and I haven't a clue about the other.

I have to say I have enjoyed everyones stories. It was interesting to see how you would discover pottery.

Blaze Injun

Update is in the works. I don't know why I didn't save your orders to my computer as soon as I got them. I usually do, in case something like server downtime happens. doh!

I also don't know why I needed 14 hours of sleep last night.

But I have everything I need, I am now working on the update. 4 player updates do not take very long, on the plus side of that equation.

-

I've been trying to do recruitment. thomas said he'd look into joining, but I think he might still be on vacation. Freeman went so far as to PM me stats, but he keeps telling me he's working on an introduction story before he posts them officially. If you know anybody who is looking for a stable game let them know.

Update incoming.

-

Vassal states? Maybe. Might not allow you to trade with your vassal states if you want to run their lives. Maybe make it require writing? Maybe max it out at 2 vassal states per faction? I'm thinking about it.

Update Soudtrack: Handlebars by Flobots

-

On the banks of the Holy Nule the hardworking commoners of Zulappi continued to develop crucial skills. From Agriculture to Pottery there was a sudden thrust of upward mobility for these citizens. Clever commoners who work the field soon became experts at their craft and became supervisors or even "plot-tenders" who sell their excess crops to the landowning Undershaman and seek out ways to increase their harvest.

But plot-tending was not a solution for the children and urban poor. In Zull, Stone's Outpost or in the smaller settlements along the Dead Sea such people found skills of their own to make profit and advance themselves. In Zull the first Pottery Orphanages began to make Ritual Urns to sell as commodities. Soon the Temple of the Stones and the Water Merchants were purchasing vast quantities of these jars and as the children grew into men they became Pottery Clans, with reputations for craftsmanship that extended far beyond the borders of Zull. Pilgrims from across the known world call out for their leaders to import the Ritual Urns.

But it wasn't only pilgrims who came to Zulappi, it was also refugees, driven East by the barbaric Tribes of Seli who burned down their encampment. These refugees beg to be accepted among the Zulappi and for the Shaman to send his mighty soldiers to destroy the vile barbarians to the West.

The common men who become Artisans in such ways and develop their own wealth through hard work are a pious sort, and many of the Undershamans who have become wealthy through trading or by virtue of their position have been shamed. The decadent foreign habits have fallen out of style and only a few Zulappi Undershamans continue to practice such wasteful constant festivities. With the Artisans spending so much time in Temple and growing so wealthy they feared that if they continued such things they would soon lose their positions.

Others had more difficulty adopting to the changes Undershaman DeSatt in particular was the most "addicted to these foul habits," feeling the pressures of the Revival all around him DeSatt took his most loyal servants and Acolytes, begged forgiveness with them in the Temple of the Stones among the assembled Artisans and Undershamans and set out to the East where he prayed that the influence of Saturan decadence would no longer pollute his mind.

Messengers have been received since that announce that the Undershaman has established a proper temple in the Land of the Sun, these messengers were accompanied by flocks of missionaries who wished to worship the stones on the banks of the Holy Nule.

(Zulappi: +Economic Expansion (2), +Agriculture, +Pottery, +Trade Good (Ritual Urns), +1 Social Cohesion, +4 Reputation)

To the South the walls of Waset echoed with talk of war.

When the Saturan warriors arrived at the encampment they found their Sudanese allies already in combat with the Nubian Revivalists. Sudanese warriors charged heroically into the camp and began the slaughter by destroying a group of rebels.

Not to be outdone the Saturan Chariots fell into the battle and also destroyed a group of Nubian warriors.

The final holdouts of Nubian Revivalists fortified themselves in the heart of the camp, surrounded by pikes and closely guarding every point of weakness. After an initial charge the Saturan Chariots retreated from the ditches and holes that were obviously designed to unseat them.

The Sudanese Warriors charged again into the fray, only to be beaten back by the well fortified barbarians.

It was then that the Rangers chose to test their mettle against the pikes and ditches, hoping to end the threat to the trade route once and for all.

The Saturans also learned this turn of the nature of Pottery, with rival Pottery Clans in their own cities who scorned the mention of Zulappi Ritual Urns.

However, among the farm workers and many of the commoners of Satura the faith of the stones grows strong. Many either request leave to make a proper pilgrimage to Stonehenge or simply sneak off to accomplish their religious rites.

So that, along with talk of war, there is also much talk of faith in Waset. The Stone-Worshippers demand the import of Ritual Urns so that they can accomplish their rites within the borders of Satura. The faithful worshippers of the Golden Sun demand that if these infidels insist on practicing their foreign faith then they should at least use good, reliable Saturan urns and they don't need any Undershaman to bless them.

When the dust cleared to the South the Saturan Ranger stood victorious, and even found a lost shipment of Spices that had been waylaid by these rebels.

With the victory over the barbarians many Saturans have migrated south along the Nule, most of them Stone Worshippers who feel excluded from the orthodox culture of Waset.

(Satura: +1 EP (Loot), +Pottery, -1 Social Cohesion,+2 Rangers, +2 Chariots, +2 Warriors, +2 Reputation)

War also rang out far to the East, and allies were again assembled against Barbarian hordes.

But on the far bank of the Xi, where the Spearmen and Horsemen of the Heavenly Dragon sought their foes there were many more, and in tribes vast and unconsolidated. It was here that the Dragons sought to sow dissent. By offering barbarian chieftains, each in control of barely a unit of warriors themselves, the chance to surrender and live peacefully in the civilized lands the clever rulers of the Dragon's lands convinced two chieftains to join arms against the others.

As these chieftains lead their men from the assembled meeting of warriors who felt pressured to deal with the growing invasion from the North they were attacked, and although one was destroyed he did his share of damage. The Men from the North and their Mountain-bred allies watched as the Jungles south of the Xi lit up and listened to the cries of battle, with a smile upon their lips.

Before they attacked.

The secrets of acupuncture were discovered in the cities of the Dragon, which did much to calm the nerves of the population, alongside the news of the destruction of the Barbaric tribes of the South. The soldiers of the Dragon, they cry out, suffered not a single casualty in battle. They are invincible and the strongest of any nation or people. Nationalistic pride is felt in every heart, proud of their mighty kingdom.

The secrets of writing were discovered as well, and although the returning, victorious army was confused at first by the great signs that had been made to welcome them home they soon picked up the language, they think of writing as the great gift that the Heavenly Dragon bestowed upon his victorious warriors and in the army any advancement now requires literacy.

Many of them learn through the Document: Tales of the South, the Vanquishing of Barbarity, and they pine for adventures like the ones they learned to read with. Some forward thinking men in the army have even postulated that with the right combination of tension and heft a device could be constructed to hurl large stones at enemies from afar. But how to make it mobile?!

The import of Dragon Pendants and the sale of Pottery has brought much wealth to the coffers of the King, but as the Land of the Dragon reaches now to the Seas some have taken to calling him Emperor.

The Spearmen and Horsemen write to the Emperor, for instance, that they believe the unstoppable force of their arms should sweep through the South and civilize the lands with their might.

(Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon: +Writing, +Acupuncture, +1 Spearman, +1 Horseman, +1 Social Cohesion, +5 Reputation)

In Shang the secrets of Pottery were uncovered, and some believe that it will now be easy for the learned men of that nation to understand the making of Bronze. The people have heard the stories from the Heavenly Dragon, armies without equal, strength to command any Barbarian. The troublemakers in Manchuria would fall at once, the people argue, if Spearmen marched on them.

The making of Pots and Jars has become a powerful boon to the cities of Shang, and the wealth of Shang no longer depends, they say, on the Farmers and the Miners. Potters have begun to open shops selling their wares in the Artisan's Plaza.

But this new wealth and power also comes with pangs of desire for exotic luxuries. The worldly traders and artisans of the Shang desire that the King arrange some sort of treaty to allow the import of Black Tea from the lands of the Heavenly Dragon.

These affluent men, who have become increasingly influential among the population with the sudden disappearance of all clan leadership in the farms, also demand that the Wanderer Merchants be permitted into the lands of Shang to offer their foreign wares.

As far as the Clan leadership in the farms goes there are few answers to be had. There are rumors, but rumors only offer more questions. People came at night, but who? And how did they abduct the clan leaders without anyone else in these homes knowing? What is the nature of such stealth? What happened to these clan leaders after they were abducted? How did these men leave no signs of struggle?

In an unrelated matter the Generals and military commanders of Shang have approached the King about, perhaps, investing in a program to develop certain Agents who might be able to effectively capitalize on and utilize the… special skills… that some of the warriors seem to possess. Such men would be devoted to protecting the Social Cohesion, and the Dynasty of King Li.

(Kingdom of Shang: +Pottery, +3 Warriors, +2 Reputation)

-

Map:

Spoiler :

Diplomacy:

To: Kingdom of the Heavenly Dragon

We are but a poor people, but we wish to learn the secrets of Agriculture. Could we arrange to purchase this from you?

To: Kingdom of Shang

We have heard many good things of your rice. We would be willing to pay you 2 EP for you to send it to us.

To: Zulappi

Although many of my citizens may worship your faith I am concerned about your expansion into Arabia. Do you mean to threaten my claim?

To: Satura

Many of our scholars and priests wish to travel and visit your monuments to understand your worship more perfectly.

-

EDIT: Fixed.

-

Vassal State Rules Added.

Only Mod created NPC's can be converted into vassal states. The NPC has to agree to it and your Reputation must be >30. In order to sign a Vassal State treaty both factions must possess Writing.

You may not trade with a vassal state. You may export a vassal state's trade goods. If you chose to dictate how their economy is spent you may, but you don't have to. You may write stories for Vassal States.

You may only have 2 Vassal States. A second Vassal State requires a Reputation higher than 50.

If your Social Cohesion drops below 8 you will lose control of your Vassal States.

Hey,

To: Chief Kar of Korea

For the knowledge of Agriculture we wouild ask 3 EP. That is the offer, if you wish to counter offer I would be willing to hear what you have to say.

To: King Ichabous of Paranaa

For you heroic defense of the Kingdom I offer you Agriculture for 2 EP.

DKP02

To: Emperor Shifang of the Heavenly Dragon

I do not believe that is a fair offer. I feel like it is a highball offer, like you are trying to negotiate with me. I am not much of a negotiator, Emperor, although I have often visited the Artisan's Plaza in Laozi and I have known men who do such things. I am but a lowly chieftain, I lead men to war, not to negotiations.

I will offer you 1 EP, and also that I shall permit the missionaries of your faith to visit my lands and, perhaps, teach us your ways.

To: Emperor Shifang of the Heavenly Dragon

We thank you for this offer. It would be an honor to learn of such things.

Hey,

To: Chief Kar of Korea

We accepted your offer. Scholars of the Wisdom of the Dragon leave at once.

To: King Ichabous of Paranaa

That is wonderful news. I wish you would come for a visit. There is much to talk about.

DKP03

To the City of Peace

They are welcome to learn of the worship of the Golden Sun.

To Aset-Worshiping cultists

You wish to worship the very rocks and stones of Aset, the Sun-Hunter? You wish to hate the sun, and the light, and the truth of the world? You wish to hate who you are?

Bah, rhetorical questions all of them: Of course you do! I doesn't matter how you joined the cult: whether you too lazy for a promotion, or too stupid to realize your opportunities, so that you blame it on us. It's your job to advance yourself.

But of you want us to buy these, ah, "Sacraficial Urns" and leave to "Pilgrimage" to Zull, I'd like to say three things.

1) Do you realize how hypocritcal you are? You preach hard work, yet you leave your labor for months to look at a pile of stone. Holy stone, apparently, since religion does make crazy decisions, BUT STONE NONTHELESS>

2) You worship stone. Great, we worship the sun and gold. Yet... you worship with CLAY urns. CLAY! NOT Stone! At least we worship gold with GOLD!

3) Ok ok, you use clay to worship stone. You stop working to worship work. Sure, doublethink, yeah.
Wait, you want to worship with SPECIAL clay urns? Urns that got fondled by Undershamans? Oh for Akten's sake! At least we have a true symbol of worship which arrises every day, and is made of itself! You must worship stone, using clay, which must be fondled by someone who you must pay to get the fondled clay to worship stone with.

Confusion asside, we would be glad to allow pilgrimage if you pay for every day of work you missed. Every day. What? But Saturans don't have to pay to worship the sun? Hogwash, of course we do! But since we all follow the same calender we don't have any tax collectors to collect em. You are following a different religious calender, so FULL taxes apply.

Everything is taxed in Satura. All gold belongs to Mine.

As for sacrificial Urns, you can pray to stone with any fondled clay souviner you get from Zull, but if you both too lazy to walk there, or too poor to pay, you'll have to settle for our Urns. Don't worry, we'll convince our Undershaman Emissionary to fondle some clay for you by telling our merchants to stop annoying him, so they'll be all blessed and such like. But that clay is Saturan clay.

And if I hear anything about cultists Alluring of Aset, mark my words, I will get you, no matter how many sanity points I must lose!

Hey,

To: King Li VI of the Great Kingdom of Shang

I would like to offer Black Tea for trade. This would require a upfront payment as the money your crafty merchants can make is great. We await a reply with a offer.

DE/Sd02

The Working of Bronze

(Scientific Story: Celestial Kingdom of Kitanato)

-

But the line of Soru Emperors was not satisfied with their holdings. "We command all the known world," they would say, "but what of the unknown?"

The fires burned hot on that island, the ambition of life across the seas. They could taste the ocean's spray and were sure that it was just another beast to be conquered.

But first things came first, and so they sought out copper. Copper was not easy to find on the island, but it was done. Copper worked as a metal, some pots and woks were created with the copper and many fish fried in those pots and woks, but the wise men of Kitanato knew that there must be a way to make the copper stronger and more durable.

Tin was proposed, but there was no tin on the island so the wise men grumbled and went back to work, trying to devise a new plan.

"I know," said one of them finally, "What of this ghastly poison that some of our miners discovered while searching through the volcanic rocks of our island? This, Arsenic, perhaps we could just use that."

So the copper was melted together with the arsenopyrite and the people of Kitanato worked to create their first Bronze.

-

Added Rules for Agents and Subterfuge:

Agents may steal technologies, cause social cohesion problems (in others), solve social cohesion problems (for yourself), or sabotage buildings. These activities depend on random number generation between 1 and 10. These numbers are halved per each Agent assigned (except for "cause social cohesion problem").

Steal Technology: Must generate higher than a 8
Cause Social Cohesion Problem:Subtract RNG by 7 to determine Social Cohesion damage
Solve Social Cohesion Problem: If generated number is less than 4 then the problem is exacerbated
Sabotage Building: Must generate higher than a 6

Discovery

Each time you have an Agent in a foreign state for any reason they have a 25% chance to be discovered. This number doubles per Agent in that foreign state.

Subterfuge is a Tech with no prerequisites. It costs 4 EP. It permits you to build agents.

Top Bottom