Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

To: Satura

Hello! What are you doing here?

From Commander Janis of the First Swordsmen of Satura, Captain-General of Aktenset
To Basatho

We are looking for new horizons and peoples to trade and enjoy the company with in the name of ZORRO. Would you be willing to teach us your native customs to be recorded for prosperity? We would also be glad if you are willing to learn from the little of Zorro's Riddle which we know. Praise Atken, a kind face in a hostile world. (can't offer anything real until stats)

Of notice is the strange arrangements of the stars here, so far south from home. May you teach us your local constellations?

To Persia
From King Trajan of Waset, Prime Citizen of Satura

I've heard of the dreadful infestation of Zulep's Boils in your country. We're willing to help construct an aqueduct in your lands to combat this evil. In addition, the news of the Tin Horde both amuses and worries me. Tell, how far west are they?
Spoiler :
(@ Blaze Injun, Just trying to find how far west they are, nothing more or less. Got it? Can't know whether it counts or not if I don't know where they are)

There are four main "Gods" accepted as ultimate beings of power and paragons of what they represent. These are the great Sun God Akten and his hidden enemy Aset, and Akten's Champion Zorro and his wily trickster Zulep.

Akten is the Sun God, and he burns strong and bright as the heart of all that is right. His powers renew the great prison that is our world, rebinding the chains on Aset. He is the epitome of what a being will aim to become. Philosophically he represents Order, Stability, Tradition and Honor. For the masses, he represents Law, Discipline, Calculation and Violence.
Akten is also worshiped by traditionalists, but as there is no way to achieve his perfection, many are in danger of falling into gluttony and the lurings of Zulep.

Aset is the greatest enemy of Akten. In the perfect universe long ago, the bright beings of Man Kind lived in happiness in Akten's embrace. Aset emerged as everything Akten is not, and in the battle untold numbers of souls are tainted with his foulness. Eventually, Akten was forced to trap Aset under our world, and placed us upon it so that we may one day return to Akten. However, Aset's forces are mighty, and they work endlessly to weaken his prison and free him. Philosophically he represents extreme decay, bestiality, mindlessness and base behavior. For the masses, he represents rebellion, revolution, dialectical change and control by force alone.
The greatest Aset Worshippers are among the Stoners to the north.

Zorro is a great prophet of Akten said to be born in Persia. Representing the epitome that can be reached by mortal humans, the pureness of a soul still tainted by a body, Zorro is the moderate voice, the middle way, the road towards Salvation. Zorro is achievable in flesh, while Akten is impossible (although Zorro himself did so at his ascension). Zorro is also a warrior, a fighter against bigotry, hatred, and base behavior. Philosphically he represents moderation, balance, progress and science. For the masses he represents improvement, public works, scholars and the Inquisitors.
Zorro is worshiped/revered for both Zorrkanists and the Eastern Zorroists.
His palace can be seen in the shape of the moon, where he prepares nearly cured spirits and send them home.
Of note is the use of pain. To free the soul from earthly desires, pain is used, often juxtaposed with pleasure. As always, moderation is used and through internal progress the soul is purified.

Zulep is the human avatar of Aset, a twisted man with twisted ideas. The only rule of Zulep is submission to instincts, to see the world as a game played by a group of demigods and ruled by a single great entity known as a "Mod". Often, this "Mod" has been twisted into the shape of a Dragon or a great Iron Boat. This faith destabilizes the mind into the inevitability of destiny, and towards the inevitability of Aset's escape. Philosophically he represents depravity, insanity, orgies, and extremes of pleasure and pain. For the masses he represents lust, use of drugs, and the believe in the power of outsiders to guide them while they cannot guide themselves.

I understand that the absence of updated stats is somewhat frustrating, and I feel for you, I really do. I am working on them, I can't promise that the extra time is going to make them especially reliable. I've been slightly less of an unemployed vagrant than usual as of late, and it appears that respectable society requires a 45 hour workweek.

I'm still real sorry about the delay, but hey, we have a three day weekend here, I'ma get it done. This will also obviously affect the next orders due date.

Now, I know that this is a threat to the specific expectations of this game. I know that I'm supposed to be Mr. Fast Turnaround, but when your patience is thin with me, remember...

Link to video.

How much EP for a city again? I have very few towns and cities in my nation, and I believe that it is time that we started to move to a mixed nation, rather than a purely agrarian and crafts based one.

I don't think cities cost anything. IIRC if you send troops somewhere, build buildings somewhere, or develop goods somewhere a city will pop up there.

So if you want, you can have hundreds of cities by deploying troops a few pixels from another. :lol:. But I don't think this is what he meant. ;). Probably there are dozens or hundreds of cities/towns, but only the ones you take note of and do stuff with are placed.

:lol:, thanks fellows, I see exactly where I went wrong right there. Thanks for the help!

Tycho: you have nanjing on the map, on the southern river, it got founded by a bunch of urbane members of eastern zorroism just because they wanted a place to live that wasn't laozai, a city that is notorious for its religious skepticism.

But that one just showed up for no reason a couple of updates ago. Just sending troops or building buildings is the best way to do it though.

Spoiler :
Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa
by SKILORD

SUMMARY
A world of warring religions, feuding super powers, and people just trying to live their lives, Absolution is a well paced NES that updates every two weeks with many unconventional features dredged from the distant past even before the origin of the “Classic” rule set. Thisgoverns nearly everything making it nearly a board game style NES. However, Absolution maintains a strong narrative tradition. With only four players for its twenty one nations, plenty of well-balanced NPCs, and with all the old world open for new nations, Absolution will be open for any player to join.

HISTORY
At first, Absolution is divided into two cradles; the east and the west with many players dropping out early. While the east became cohesive as the two players there worked together, the west became bitterly divided between the two nations of Egypt, with vastly differing policies, religions, and culture. Fortune changed hands often, brining great prosperity and also great despair after her departure. At the height of power the two main superpowers, Satura and the Empire of the Heavenly Dragon, decisively split the two cradles apart to prevent fighting and weakening each other. Satura was later laid low by a Grand Coalition of every Stoned Power and a deadly Plague while the Heavenly Dragon focused on defeating the Mongols. The balance of power is broken as the Shang Empire awakes from its slumber, Satura grasps for stability, and NPCs form left and right across the world.

PROS
Lenient and friendly Mod
Timely Updates and Diplomacy
Fun-to-read Update Style

NUETRAL
Weak NPCs with Good Diplomacy
Broadgamer-style Rule set with Tech Trees, Buildings, ect.
In Game Compensation for Stories

CONS
Lots of PM, VM, or SG space can be used up
World Divided via Treaty: What now?
Established Superpowers (at least we’re weakening… somewhat)

This NES has a great Mod in SKILORD. He’s reasonable, he invests time into this NES and he’s really, really good at making strange things happen that feel just right. He gives us excellent updates of many different view points, and then summarize every player’s development right on the bottom of each section.

Although the NPC’s are not played well, by his own admission, they give great diplomacy for a player wishing to explore that direction. Although it can seem easy to manipulate them, you never really know what their motives are. They even form non-player-coalitions to stop the Saturan Superpower from protecting their ally.

They have a Broad-Gamer ruleset. Now, for many of you this will set off alarm bells. And perhaps it would. There are buildings, traits, tactics, projects, and techs, each of which has its purpose and its effect delineated. However, for this type of game it fits and it, through its Story Rules, ensures equal compensation for participation.

However, one negative is that this game almost necessarily, if you want to invest in it, require QUITE an investment. For one update, I sent over 30 PM’s and 15VMs with SKILORD talking about tactics, wonders, projects, private diplomacy and other things. So be warned.

Also, another problem is that the current world, especially Asia, has already been divided via Treaty and the world’s super powers are already established. With NPC’s being played not particularly well, it proves easier to simply create a new power. A diamond in the rough is that the current Superpowers are weakening due to the Plague, and an aggressive player can turn the tables in their own bid for power.

SO, WHERE SHOULD YOU JOIN?

CONCLUSION

My article so far for "The Nespaper"

Top Bottom