Role Play Challenge: John D Rockefeller, American Corporate Power

John D Rockefeller: Gaining Control of the American Economy

America was moving finely along, research went along iron working as Vanderbilt began building a lighthouse followed by the “Great Lighthouse”.

At this point JD decided there needed to be a change in the working structure of the growing empire.

Gone are the days of shared responsibilities. The week and poor are now forced to labor for the benefit of the elite. Ah, the beginnings of capitalism.
Rockefeller finished a library and began using the more intellectual citizens to assist in research while generous supplies of chariots were built. There is a significantly large amount of weakly inhabitable lands that needs to be fogbusted.

Once IW is finished we look to see where we have any (JD is confident!).

Math and Currency were researched next as Vanderbilt completed

Seams JD’s wealth will be tied to multiple and early trade routes. Too bad we appear isolated.

IN the meanwhile American defense is limited to warriors and chariots, so this barbarian sets the Vanderbilt citizens and their new world wonder on edge.

We managed to fight off the spear, but further barbarians

Made JD realize that perhaps a small detour to hunting/archery after Currency would be in order.

Soon a Great Scientist is born

While it may seams wise to save this great Man for establishing a future corporation, JD cannot help but establish an academy in the capital city. In fact he named the place Rockefeller University, a place where great minds contemplate great things while doing very little practical work and making JD look like a great humanitarian offsetting the minor issues of ramped slavery.

So back to more important capitalistic matters

Too bad JD cannot exploit his excess wealth with trades at this time. Hunting/Archery were researched next as Vanderbilt tries to construct a navy that won’t get sunk by barbarians.

As we saved to begin researching either Code of Laws or construction (coliseums would help) note JP Morgan was sent off to construct his own city

The cities are doing very well

As well as the American economy

But I believe it is time to spawn some cities and explore the oceans.

Attachments

• John D Rockefeller BC-0365.CivBeyondSwordSave
    153.5 KB · Views: 65
Expasion is the key word! Rockefeller needs a market to trade. This is either on the continent itself with BIG cities or abraod with good trade routes. So I guess that Navigation will be beelined? As always a great read Mad.

John D Rockefeller: Isolated Expansion

JD begins by researching construction and metal casting, then finds some information about the world

America aint doing so good and additional settlements re encouraged.

Such as

And

And triemes have been able to finally explore the seas

As feared, we definitely isolated leading JD to begin researching Compass

To add injury to insult

JD is not the economic Juggernaut he thought

The next Great Person is born

And he is saved for future use. Corporations are still the major emphasis in JD’s life, and we set them up as best we can.

After an idiotically long time we begin to settle some of these pathetic islands

After Compass, we are a little undecided hoe to proceed

Code of Laws for the courthouses or Machinery followed by Optics for exploration.

The American empire grows are best it can without going broke

However we still need more cities

More importantly we need trading partners.

Well, this RPCs seams doomed to be one of those dull ones. An isolated Rockefeller takes some of the fire away from the business man aspect, put perhaps a wild Corporate fired modern era will make up for it.

Attachments

• John D Rockefeller AD-0595.CivBeyondSwordSave
    217 KB · Views: 50
since you landed the GLH not settling those fish cities was indeed, how did you call it? idiotic? I would concur.

not like you didn't build settlers ;-)

what's your big plan? Space?

That gold surplus rule sucks; 48bpt@600AD? :faint: Colossus could have helped a lot given all those FIN water tiles, too bad you didn't have copper. GLH is also great but would be even greater once you get astro. Therefore I favor...
  • teching towards optics while working coast tiles
  • send out caravels to meet the others (well, at this rate they'll probably be meeting you with their caravels instead :lol:)
  • use the GS, and perhaps another farmed GS to bulb astro (I'm thinking this is what you had in mind when you saved the GS, amirite?)
  • open borders with everyone for godly GLH-boosted intercontinental trade routes and resource-for-gpt trades
...rather than CoL: you're not ORG, and your cities are pretty hammer- and food-poor so it'll take just as long to set up courthouses.

since you landed the GLH not settling those fish cities was indeed, how did you call it? idiotic? I would concur.

not like you didn't build settlers ;-)

what's your big plan? Space?

Its not too late to settle them tough, unless he decides to go for astro early which may be a good thing to do, GLH island cities are quite good, espically if you plan on whipping them to death (but if we use caste system we cant do that)

What about caste system, are you going to focus on that and generating merchants? Or we could use scientists from it and bulb towards astronomy.

Also are there any plans to get colossus?

Mad, is there a reason for 0 cottaging and 0 chopping? Just wondering.

I'm guessing (haven't looked at the save) that there are not enough workers yet.

Dayum, I didn't know that Mad had started a new one. Good to know. Subscribed!

Just to let everyone know I took a few days off but plan to start tonight.

There are no cottages due to bad terrain and the need for food.

And yes, there are way too few workers. A common problem for me.

Just to let everyone know I took a few days off but plan to start tonight.

There are no cottages due to bad terrain and the need for food.

And yes, there are way too few workers. A common problem for me.

Whooa, a necrothread is revived to meet our need! ;) Wb, mad hope you finish it this time, its always fun to read your tales, heres hoping for more :goodjob:

John D Rockefeller: Exploration!

All around America the common people were complaining about the state of country. Trade was abysmal, too much unsettled lands, insufficient workers, and plain lack-luster leadership. Many blamed JD for this claiming “elitist” mentality and cronyism of new founded cities to his “close friends”.

JD simply ignored these protests and committed the most vocal members to the slavers chains.

Courthouses were whipped out for better civilization management at the costs of slves which he courthouses were designed to protect.

JD considered the complaints of Cronyism and immediately founded another off shore city under the guidance of a young leader.

Gates winked at JD and was welcomed into the inner circle of the “leaders”.

Further cities were founded as America researched Machinery and Optics to explore the world

As the borders expanded on the island city of Trump, JD can finally see some instances of other civilizations

Even better news, JD learns about America’s increased wealth

Very satisfying considering the lack of trade partners.

More cities are founded

Until Optics is discovered and the mystery blue leader met

A larger than life leader who JD immediately has respect for. Conversations are made across the great ocean, and while trade routes cannot be established, technology can be discussed.

Unfortunately, JD does have a monopoly on the Compass and refuses to trade it, however the massive American treasury can get us.

With other civilizations discovered, a more aggressive settlement plan is followed, taking as many of the good spots as possible.

Soon a second foreign leader is discovered (Zara, screenshot missed), leading JD with some trade options

JD just finished researching Calendar is has a few choices to make.

Go along the standard liberalism path to get astronomy or do the brute force research version of the technology. Bulbing is out at the moment as we need Philosophy plus I really want to save the Great Scientist for Standard Ethanol.

A view of the city status

So where does JD go from here???

Attachments

• John D Rockefeller AD-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    264.3 KB · Views: 45
Even though he spends ~90% of his time overseas now and I don't particularly like him, it is good to see an Australia getting recognition. Oh patriotism makes me so silly sometimes. ;)

Where to go from here? I am wondering the same thing. Being isolated put you in a tough spot. I hope you find the other AI's soon. You are going to need them. I guess it will be the hard way of teching Nav. 72 turns ouch.

Please, Sir. May we have some... more? ;)

Top Bottom