Iron and Blood 2 - Game Thread

The Kingdom of Joseon

"I must say, I have never seen so many gardens in one city as I have seen here in Hanseong. It is quite remarkable; some areas seem more like a wild forest than part of the capital of the kingdom."

Crown Prince Sunjo peered out the window his cousin was gazing through, then leaned back in his seat with a smile. "Yes, that is my father's work. Lately, he has been investing more into the beautification of the city. He believes that nature can be a great inspiration to all members of society, be they the artist, the scholar, the bureaucratic, or even the shopkeeper. In fact, if you look closely," he said, leaning forwards and pointing out of the window on his right, "you can see the inspired sitting among the trees."

Prince Iseul looked out upon a small pond surrounded by cherry blossoms and three-flowered maples, with artists laboring over canvases dotted between them. "Ah yes, I can see it now. It is quite amazing. I don’t believe you would find this much of artistic energy in any other part of the kingdom, much less Daegu.” Iseul sat back and straightened up. “My uncle is certainly living up to his reputation as a ruler dedicated to peace and culture. It is thus a good thing the new Khan seems to follow a similar ideal.”

Sunjo nodded in agreement. “It is very well that the Khan had chosen not to turn his horde southwards over the Amnok River. Otherwise, we would most likely have been unprepared for a war with the Yuan pretender. We might have still been able to resist an invasion, but not without a great loss to the people. Thankfully, with an independent Manchuria standing between us, war with the Mongol horde is now even less likely to happen.” I just wish my father had considered that idea before he proposed that awful treaty to King Daoguang.

The carriage they were travelling in came to a slow stop. A moment later, the carriage driver swung the carriage door open to reveal the sunlit exterior. Prince Sunjo quietly exited the carriage, with his cousin following closely behind.

Two men were waiting for them just a few feet from the carriage; an old man who despite his age showed signs of youthful energy, and a younger, much more reserved man. As Prince Sunjo exited the carriage, the two men bowed deeply in respect to the prince. “Prince Sunjo, it is an honor to have the son of our great patron and sovereign visit our humble institution.” said the older man. “I see that you have brought an honored quest along with you.”

Sunjo “This is my cousin, Prince Iseul, son of Prince Jeongye. He has travelled here from his home in Daegu to see this prestigious center of learning.” Turning to his cousin, he said, “Iseul, this is Kyung Kwan, the famed inventor and head of Myongji. He has been in my father’s employ for many years, and has brought many wondrous devices and ideas to the kingdom.” Sunjo turned back to face Kwan. “I believe you would be the best person to give us a tour of your campus, correct?”

“Yes sir, you are absolutely correct. If you will follow me, I shall show you what will hopefully become the greatest center of learning the kingdom. Come, Yoon.” Kwan beckoned to the young man who had accompanied him. Princes Sunjo and Iseul quickly fell in step behind them, flanked on both sides by royal guards.

As they walked through the shaded streets that wove their way Myongji, Kwan began pointing out and explaining the various structures and halls that lay along the cobblestone walkways. As they were passing the main library, Iseul piped up and asked “I wish to inquire as to how Myongji shall differentiate itself from the other institutions that already exist. It seems very similar to Sungkyunkwan, yet lacking in certain areas.”

“I am very glad that you have asked that question” came the reply from their guide. “You see, Sungkyunkwan, like so many other institutes, focuses far too much on the civil service. It is almost all they care about! Bureaucrats are the only thing they can provide. Myongji is devoted to the sciences, to understanding and creating and perfecting. Within many of these halls, students are studying both Korean and Chinese texts, improving on and creating new devices and procedures. Myongji is a place where the brightest from across the kingdom can come together and share their knowledge with each other, then bring it back to their homes. That is how we distinguish ourselves, your Highness.”

EVENT: Of Mongols and Manchus

Choose Option 1: Recognise Manchurian independence, keep as a buffer state (gains a one-off bonus of 2 IC)

Cardinal Compromises

-

Spoiler :

-

Cardinal Ximenes sat on the rather uncomfortable throne of the rulers of Mediterranea, that is the former rulers of that land as it was before Apostolic administration came into effect, with him as the Popes man at the top running the country. He had travelled from Toledo in Castille at the Popes request and after getting an official welcome to Barcelona, the first council of the apostolic administration was top of the agenda. He walked into the meeting room having been prepared for some factional difficulty, afterall the Holy See itself had its share of factional intrigue to which he, as a cardinal, was not immune, but the reality of Barcelona's factional squabbles far exceeded his expectations, and they made the Holy See look like a sea of tranquility in comparison. As the meeting draw on all the factions wanted their demands met

The Bishops assembly, a faction with much greater prominence in Mediterranean society after the implementation of Apostolic administration and factionally aligned with the ultramontanists back in Rome expected the cardinal to transfer government to them and implement "judicial reforms" to further the cause of the faith in the region. Meanwhile the GTU, the weakened but still ruling faction wished to maintain their position, and use the opportunity of peace to "strike the market" and expand their mercantile activities beyond the mediterranian. Finally the ULW, the old nobility of Spain rambled on about their "rights" and kept pointing to the example of the Catholic Monarchs as to why the Cardinal should grant them further prestige in the apostolic government.

The meeting went on for hours as the necessities of the new administration were ironed out, and as he mused the factions continued to argue before once again they began to make their inane requests....

-

"Surely Your Emminence now that peace is upon our lands and the matters of administration have been sorted, it is now your responsibility to use the power His Holiness has granted you to reassert christian values in this land through cultural development and a refinement of the judicial code, perhaps re-establishing the mechanisms which the most pious Catholic Monarchs instituted in times of glory for our lands... Who better to ensure this comes to pass than the Bishops to whom the pastoral care of this region is entrusted! Surely the Holy Father would approve, afterall it would be a travesty for you to simply "keep the throne warm" until more permanent arrangements can be found..."

"Bah, Joan Martinez Sistach, Archbishop of Barcelona you may be, but you are an over-zealous ultramontanist who wants nothing more than to see us incorporated into the Papal States. Your Emminence our people are unanimously Catholic already, there is no need to chase heretics and muslims where none are to be found and the Archbishop forgets that this arrangement is temporary. Let us instead focus on industrial development, and on continuing along the path set before war so rudely interrupted our mercantile enterprises. The navy always needs improving as well..."

"Now, now, you may be wealthy from hoarding all that gold Joan Cortez, but what about the rights of the old nobility? Surely by the current situation it is clear that the GTU is a dangerous faction, and that only under the nobility can peace be found and old Spain be reunified, and now is the time to begin the reconquista! Afterall Your Emminence is the example of the Catholic Monarchs not evidence enough of the benefits of stern and pious rule by those to whom God has granted right of governance..."

the Cardinal felt now was the time to intervene.

Joan Carlos Trastamara, and the rest of you. Be still and stop your bickering. I am here to govern and to rule in the name of the Holy Father. But as Joan Cortez mentions this is a temporary arrangement and it is not my place to make radical arrangements to the status quo lest further instability arise in the future.

*silence

Now... are you ready to refrain from attempting to sway me to your positions and to instead listen to the compromise plan I have established. You may not get everything you want, but Im sure you can all find it most acceptable

The Cardinal smiled as the the three Joans contemplated his words. He gestured to an acolyte who brought forth a piece of parchment. Opening it up he placed it on the table and as the three advisors leaned over to look at what the cardinal brought they saw...

A Map.

-

Spoiler :
Key:

~ Purple: Bishops Assembly Faction Representative: Archbishop Joan Martinez Sistach
~ Orange: GTU Faction Representative: Joan Cortez
~ Red: ULW Faction Representative: Joan Carlos Trastamara
~ Bold: Cardinal Ximenes, Apostolic Administrator of Mediterranea

- all speech in Italics

To: Paraguay
CC: The World

-

The Holy See condemns the oppression the Paraguayan regime has publicly announced its intent to impose upon its people and upon factions that disagree with the current government, just as we have condemned the war of aggression it has invoked against Portugal.

In light of these new developments which further endanger the stability of South America, and in light of its escalation of persecution of the Holy Catholic Church which show Paraguay for the tyranny it truly is. The Holy See severs diplomatic relations with Paragauy and has established an embargo upon the same, until such time as Paraguay reverses its persecution of the Holy Church, ends its war of aggression against Portugal and ends its crackdown upon political opponents.

The Apostolic Administration of Mediterranea has likewise been instructed by the Holy See to impose the same measures upon Paraguay in accordance with Papal foreign policy. We furthermore call upon all right thinking nations to do the same in solidarity against the tyrannical paraguayan regime.

-

~ Cardinal Richelieu, Secretary for Relations with States.

-

OOC:

: The Papal States and Mediterranea sever diplomatic relations with, and place an embargo upon Paraguay

To: The Holy See

We want to ask the Pope to send missionaries to convert the Mongolian population to Christianity.

To: Mongolia

-

The Holy See is pleased to note the willingness of the Mongol Khan to permit the message of Christ to be taught to his people. This shows a mind open to truth, and to wisdom and reveals the just nature of the Khan in permitting such freedoms when compared to certain other nations. Examples exist such as the tyrannical Paraguay which only recently has announced its intent to crush opposition to its regime, or Scandinavia which in years past has barred our missionaries despite it proclaiming at the time freedom of religion. Even in your own region in Korea there remain many who living in darkness would seek to crush the truth and oppress the faithful who live in that land.

In light of your invitation, and joyful at this sign of wisdom in a world suffering in ignorance, the Holy See will happily send missionaries to mongolia so that those who see wisdom may freely choose to enter into the brotherhood of the Church, and so that all may be illuminated by the teachings of Christ. They shall embark at the soonest instance and arrive in your lands via Manchuria, bearing of course the diplomatic mark of the Holy See to ensure just recognition once they arrive.

May Mongolia flourish in the light of Truth

-

~ Cardinal Richelieu, Secretary for Relations with States

-

ooc:Jesuit Missionaries sent to Mongolia

Pope, we want the Mongolian Christian Churches to use the Mongolian language instead of the Latin.

The liturgical language of the Latin Rite is latin, latin it shall remain in Mongolia as it is elsewhere in the Church. This is precisely so that a mongol in Rio de Janiero, or in Rome can pray in the same language, and hear the same liturgy as his counterparts elsewhere. This universal use of one sacred language signifies the unity of the Church, and ensures the correctness of theology from misconstructions that may occur in vernacular languages.

Sermons and homilies as is customary throughout the Universal Church shall of course be in the vernacular to ensure that the newly converted can understand them.

Okay. However be warned that most Mongols dont know Latin.

They can be educated in time, just as the buddhist monks mongolia are accustomed to learn sacred languages, or how the muslims learn arabic no matter where they are in the world.

Furthermore ignorance of the liturgical language is no encumberance to preaching, which of course is in the vernacular. The Mongolians are perfectly able to hear the message of Christ preached, and more importantly lived in the lives of the priests that have been sent, in their own language, and in terms they can understand.

-

OOC: QUERY

When checking odds on the colonisation calculator, does one for NU percentage put in the level their nation is at (say 7 or 8) or a percentage of total equivalent for that level (so 70 or 80). I believe it is the former considering the odds that come up, but I just want to be certain.

You are right.

From now on Latin will be teached in the Mongolian Schools.

When checking odds on the colonisation calculator, does one for NU percentage put in the level their nation is at (say 7 or 8) or a percentage of total equivalent for that level (so 70 or 80). I believe it is the former considering the odds that come up, but I just want to be certain.

Oops, now that you mentioned it I realised I forgot to remove the % sign from that row.

Yes, it's the level their nation is at, NOT a percentage.

The Royal Coronation of the new Swedish King.

On the appointment of Charles XIV, the Royal House of Bernadotte was officially appointed as the Official Royal House of the Scandinavian Union. From this house future monarchs will be appointed by the Swedish Parliament.

Upon his accession he converted from Roman Catholicism to the Lutheranism of the Swedish court. This move generated much excitement from the populace, as the War in Europe and Balkans are deeply feared. It was also feared that since the Pope has chosen to take an active position in world affairs, as opposed to focusing on more Holy concerns, that the Scandinavian Union could be drawn into this developing unhappy quagmire, whose roots are questionable, if links to Roman Catholicism existed.

The New Crown Prince of Norway

With the appointment of a new King, the vacant position of Crown Prince of Norway can now be filled. Oscar I now took up the appointment as son of the new King and Heir to the Swedish Throne. While considered very young to have the appointment, he was elected an honorary member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and in 1818, he was appointed chancellor of Uppsala University, where he spent one semester.

The Finnish Question.

The Parliamentary Committee of Finland reported back this year on the issue of Finland joining the Scandinavian Union. Their recommendation is that they should continue to persuade the Crown Prince of Finland that union is the best long term option.

However, before the formal approach is made a propaganda campaign will be started showing the Finnish, the rewards of that can be achieved by being a member of the Union. Trading missions will be sent to the ports of Helsinki, Turku, Oulu and Vantaa, in the hopes of showing the new varieties of goods available.

It is recommended that the new Prime Minister goes personally to Finland and requests permission for the new King to then make a formal Royal Visit. It is hoped that a visit of this stature would persuade the Finnish Royal to join the Scandinavian Union finally. This may be one of many visits the King may make in the future.

Continuing Infrastructure development

Work on the Göta Canal, in Sweden continues apace. It is by far the greatest civil engineering project ever undertaken in Sweden up to that time, taking many years of effort by more than 58,000 workers to date. Much of the expertise and equipment had to be acquired from abroad. The Scottish civil engineer Thomas Telford developed the initial plans for the canal and travelled to Sweden in 1810 to oversee some of the early work on the route.

It was also decided that Denmark would also not remain underdeveloped and funds will be directed to enhance the fishing industry and improve road and ferry links, between the many islands and rivers that dot its land. Norway will also continue to be developed and more mines will be built and also road links improved between the major cities of Oslo and Bergen.

Notice of Excommunication

-

King Charles XIV, of the House Bernadotte, in light of his apostasy and ensnarement in the errors of the protestant heresy, in light of his conscious and willful rejection of the divine and Catholic faith and the continued persistence of his government in making itself opposed and hostile to the Catholic religion . In light of the scurrilous and slanderous attacks on the intentions of the Holy See by the Scandinavian government which he is party too and associated with in collaboration and assent. In light of all these things, which are most scandalous in the eyes of the faithful and most offensive in the eyes of the Lord Most High. It is proclaimed to all the world that King Charles XIV, apostate and heretic is is excommunicated.

Verily, let it be known that We separate him, together with his accomplices and abettors, from the precious body and blood of the Lord and from the society of all Christians; we exclude him from our Holy Mother, the Church in Heaven, and on earth; we declare him excommunicate and anathema; we judge him damned, with the Devil and his angels and all the reprobate, consigned to eternal fire until such time as he shall recover himself from the toils of the devil and return in humility to amendment and to penitence with a contrite heart. This we decree for the good of his soul and in the hope of his salvation, and also so he may not go without reproach and thus remain uncorrected in the eyes of the faithful causing scandal, nor that he remain unwarned of his state of grave sin and of the necessity of penance and absolution.

~ The Supreme Apostolic Signatura.

-

New Khan and Yuan Emperor:

Khan Chiang abdicated from the throne. His brother, Kublai Khan VI, took the throne. The new Khan was coronated by a Roman Catholic Priest. Chiang will go to Europe to marry a European woman he met during his studies in Europe. He decided that he wanted to live his life as a simple man, without politics.

The Coronation of the Emperor:

The Catholic Priest, before Coronating the new Khan, said:

''In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy spirit, i proclaim you King of the Kings and Khan of Mongolia and Yuan Emperor of all of China, Tibet, Korea, Japan and Persia, Protector of the Faith and the Pope. Rise and take your Crown!!''

The he gave the Crown to the Khan. Before taking his Crown, the Emperor said:

''I swear in the God I trust that I shall protect my faith and the Pope. I swear that I will bring glory to the Empire''

Then the Emperor took his Crown and sat on his throne. He became Emperor of Mongolia.

Duke of Mongolia:

In order to make Mongolia a European Nation and in order to compete with Korea and China, the new Khan brought from Europe an Austrian Prince and friend of the Khan, Charles. They first met during Kublai's studies in Europe. Charles will become Duke of Mongolia and advisor of the Khan. He will help the Khan to Modernize Mongolia.

Letter to the Mongols

-

The Holy See congratulates Kublai Khan IV on his accession to the mongolian throne, may the blessings of God be upon your country and through his Holy Spirit illuminate all who are of good will and an open mind to the truth of Our Lord Jesus Christ. In regards to these events however the Holy See has learnt that the Khan has imported a prince from the Kingdom of Austria to "europeanise" and "modernise" the nation. The Holy See would like to ensure through this letter that the khan understands that the Church is universal, it does not seek to impose european culture on Mongolia and make a microcosm of Europe in the east. Its missionaries seek only to spread the truth to the mongols that they, and their unique culture, may become part of the universal and apostolic family of the Church in the unity of Jesus Christ, who came that mankind may find salvation. This has been so throughout the world where although the Church is one, its members posess a diversity of cultures from India, to Lebanon and of course to the many nations of Europe. As the saying goes, when the Church comes it is better to say "Here comes everybody".

As such the Holy See would like to dissuade the Khan in his efforts to europeanise Mongolia, and expresses its firm conviction as to the virtue of mongol culture. We would advise the Khan to find a unique, truly mongol path in accordance with the truth of Christ in his bid for temporal development, instead of attempting to transform mongolia into something it is not, and into something which is not in a hermeneutic of continuity with its unique and valuable cultural patrimony and heritage.

~ Cardinal Richelieu, Secretary for Relations with States.

ooc: I deleted it.

The Holy See congratulates Kublai Khan IV on his accession to the mongolian throne, may the blessings of God be upon your country and through his Holy Spirit illuminate all who are of good will and an open mind to the truth of Our Lord Jesus Christ. In regards to these events however the Holy See has learnt that the Khan has imported a prince from the Kingdom of Austria to "europeanise" and "modernise" the nation. The Holy See would like to ensure through this letter that the khan understands that the Church is universal, it does not seek to impose european culture on Mongolia and make a microcosm of Europe in the east. Its missionaries seek only to spread the truth to the mongols that they, and their unique culture, may become part of the universal and apostolic family of the Church in the unity of Jesus Christ, who came that mankind may find salvation.

As such the Holy See would like to dissuade the Khan in his efforts to europeanise mongolia, and express its firm regard as to the virtue of mongol culture. We would advise the Khan to find a unique, truly mongol path in accordance with the truth of Christ, instead of attempting to transform mongolia into something it is not, and into something which does not reflect its unique and valuable patrimony.

We thank the Pope for his good words. Our modernization efforts are mainly in the Army and the Government. We are proud of our Mongolian culture and we will not change our culture.

Notice of Excommunication
Response by the Scandinavian Cabinet

The King has asked the Scandinavian Prime Minister to instruct his cabinet to prepare a response to the public notice of excommunication by his holiness the Pope, in the world's newspapers (ooc: this thread). It had been decided that the Minister for Religion and the Minister for Internal Affairs should prepare this response.

The Minister of Religion

Excommunication is a simply a religious censure, and as the King has not been an active Roman Catholic for some time, the impact of being censured is minor, although this may impact his personal dealings with other Roman Catholic Heads of State.

As advised by the Swedish Archbishop on this matter, the Lutheran Church, has long believed that the words of Jesus should be used to handle situations like this.
"15:If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16: But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17: If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."
Matthew 18:15-18

Subsequent interpretations of this teaching in later passages of the Bible by his followers, can be ignored, as the word of Jesus is paramount in this regard.

The Minister of Internal Affairs

To the people of Scandinavia, you have nothing to fear from the excommunication by the Pope of the King. It is a solely matter between the King and Pope on religious grounds. We regret the fact that the Pope has chosen to make a personal matter so public, as it would have been better that his message was delivered via our office in Denmark. We hope the Pope continues that discussion there.

In addition, you can rest assured that the Scandinavian Government is 100% behind the Scandinavian Lutheran Church, and will continue to support its efforts to help our people in times of need. The Lutheran Church is responsible for the health and welfare or our people via its hospitals and churches.

However, it should be noted that all our people, even our King is allowed to believe in any manner they wish, and can continue to do so, without fear or persecution from the government.

The Prime Minister (responsible for Foreign Affairs)

We were considering opening of our borders to other missions of faith, so our people can make an informed choice about what faith to follow, but the latest actions by the Pope, have now delayed this decision for some time. If the leaders of religious faiths continue to meddle in World Affairs, the motives of their missions will continue to be in doubt.

However, on this issue of Excommunication of our King, that is a matter between him and his God, and we will continue to have confidence in him. His leadership and vision will give us much strength in these turbulent times. It is almost as if our myths and legends about the coming Ragnarok is upon us, so we must stay strong and united.

A message to all nations;
Our current plan is to focus on the union of Finland with the rest of Scandinavia. Once this is resolved we will consider re-appointing a Minister for Foreign Affairs (this role is still currently undertaken by the Prime Minister). Please let us know if you will accept an ambassador at some future date to help improve relations with your nation in our embassy

Long live the King, Long Live Scandinavia

First Minister of Norway for the Norwegian Assembly

In other news, the First Minister of Norway is please to announce the passing last year of the Nobility Law, by the Norwegian Assembly and by Royal Accent by the new Crown Prince of Norway, which formally removed the hereditary privileges and titles, held by the many counts and barons. This further reduced the power and influence of the aristocracy.

Details are as follows;
Spoiler :
  1. The countships and the barony in Norway shall, in regard to the administration of the functions of the civil authorities, be placed either under the county wherein the estates are located or under the nearest county; however, the countships may together constitute a county if it most graciously should please His Majesty to appoint for them their own authority.

The assumption of administration by the respective county governor (prefect) shall be effective from 1 October this year, 1821.

2. As soon as the currently appointed overbirk judges withdraw, in the aforementioned districts all decisions in cases in the second instance, and other functions proper to the overbirk things, shall be placed in the superior court in the bishopric in which the district is located.
  3. The right previously accorded to counts, barons and noblemen, resulting from their privileges or the laws, to appoint or to propose clerical or civil officials on their estates is, in accordance with § 21 of the Constitution, entirely abolished.
  4. Likewise, the so-called "neck and hand," or the duty imposed on the nobility to have criminals on their estates arrested, prosecuted, and punished, together with the right of term and restitution following from it and accruing to the nobility, shall henceforth be abolished, so that hereafter, with respect to the arrest, prosecution, and punishment of criminals, as well as the imposition of fines, it shall occur on the estates of the nobility according to the regulations generally in force in the kingdom.
  5. The freedom from taxes and tithes to which counts and barons are at the present time entitled with respect to the dues for their primary farm and for a certain quantity of associated tenant farms, together with the freedom from taxes and tithes to which noblemen resident on farms are entitled with respect to their primary farms, shall terminate with the present fief holders or owners, and not be passed down to their heir.
  6. The rest of the present privileges and prerogatives of the nobility shall, insofar as they do not conflict with § 108 of the Constitution, remain for the noblemen who today are in possession thereof and for their children born in lawful wedlock at the time of publication of this law, such that they shall retain the same for their lifetime, as long as they legally prove their title thereto before the next regular Storting. After the deaths of these persons, who thus remain in possession of certain noble rights, all hereditary noble status here in the kingdom ceases to exist.
  7. Anyone who does not prove his nobility with legal documents before the next regular Storting shall have forfeited his right to present claims of nobility in the future either for himself or for the children whom he now has.

4 IC into Infrastructure
4 IC into Science

Top Bottom