Steampunk World Scenario

That's fine. Exact level isn't important. Just wondered if your experiences were based on level of difficulty. Sounds like we're playing on more or less the same level. Sometimes scenarios have seemed unusually difficult until I remembered the trick to reset the hidden parameters that carry over from previous games. Sometimes it changes radically - I've gone from guaranteed being slaughtered to being a leading civ just by doing the reset before I start the scenario for a real game.
  1. Open the scenario you want to play. You don't need to save.
  2. Start new game - a standard Firaxis game.
  3. It should automatically have the same settings as the scenario - such as world size, difficulty level, etc. If it doesn't then change the settings.
  4. Once the game starts you don't have to save.
  5. Just start the scenario you want to play.
That gets rid of any problems caused by previous games or scenarios having other settings.

Just checked: been playing in Warlord.

Moar testing with Indians. These poor guys definetly get the short end of the stick. I'm completely outclassed in technology, industry and money. I have half my cities just producing "Wealth", simply to be able to keep tech development at a bare minimum lvl... which right now is 30%. I have no aluminium, so no electrical plant, so rampant polution. Have no relics, so no cheap "museum" to help with happiness. And, since I'm short on money and behind everyone on tech, I can't get anyone to sell me these resources... which every has to spare! :cry::cry:

I really suggest rechecking the distribution of resources at start. Make sure that everyone has acess to the strategic ones without having to start a war.

Some other points:
-are there no marines in the game? There's an island in the Carabean that has aluminium, but is full of barbarians. Can't land, and can't attack them...
-the "air frigate" upgrade to "rotorcraft"... which cannot intercept. So, if a nation only has rotocraft... it cannot intercept air attacks untill it develops a new air unit.
-air cover for ships: ships have little or no air cover. Maybe a "carrier" unit for ships, something like the 1930's dirigibles that carried fighters? Or that air carrier in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Or an air defence cruiser?
-artillery: there are only 2 artillery units, the "Fortress gun" and the "Death ray", correct?

Just checked: been playing in Warlord.

Moar testing with Indians. These poor guys definetly get the short end of the stick. I'm completely outclassed in technology, industry and money. I have half my cities just producing "Wealth", simply to be able to keep tech development at a bare minimum lvl... which right now is 30%. I have no aluminium, so no electrical plant, so rampant polution. Have no relics, so no cheap "museum" to help with happiness. And, since I'm short on money and behind everyone on tech, I can't get anyone to sell me these resources... which every has to spare! :cry::cry:

I really suggest rechecking the distribution of resources at start. Make sure that everyone has acess to the strategic ones without having to start a war.

Some other points:
-are there no marines in the game? There's an island in the Carabean that has aluminium, but is full of barbarians. Can't land, and can't attack them...
-the "air frigate" upgrade to "rotorcraft"... which cannot intercept. So, if a nation only has rotocraft... it cannot intercept air attacks untill it develops a new air unit.
-air cover for ships: ships have little or no air cover. Maybe a "carrier" unit for ships, something like the 1930's dirigibles that carried fighters? Or that air carrier in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Or an air defence cruiser?
-artillery: there are only 2 artillery units, the "Fortress gun" and the "Death ray", correct?
A BUG! Electric Lighting should need Copper not aluminium - such is the trouble with making hasty fixes late at night. I also need to change the Wardenclyffe Tower wonder to give Electric Lighting in all Cities- I'll need to post new biqs for you. :blush:

Civs are designed to provide different levels of difficulty. The random worlds biq is there to provide a level playing field.

Native Americans have a tough but not impossible time. In my playthrough I was able to culture flip San Francisco and could trade Wine for money. You also have furs which can be traded (Africans are most likely to go for them). The Native Americans do have Copper, Coal, Gas and Iron. There are two aluminium resources nearby - one beside Montreal and one beside Washington - you know what to do :D but it's probably too late in your current game - best time to go to war with the Anglos is first 20 turns - use your apaches and cavalry.

Air Commandos operate as Marines and Paratroopers but they need aluminium to build :crazyeye:

Propeller Islands function as air carriers - some factions can even base their air units on icebergs ;)

I need to rework those aircraft unit lines - thanks for pointing out the interception / bombing roles - I think I just need to give all combat air units that dual role (as long as the AI can cope with it).

Yes those are the only artillery units in the game: the AI is notoriously bad for using them so this way at least they are not too disadvantaged. I tried to make them as balanced as possible.

changes

All combat air units (including pterodactyls and Albatross) have dual roles: bombing and interception. I'll revisit this later to see if separate unit lines are warranted.

Nautilus now has hidden nationality :eek: Let's see how this goes...

Wardenclyffe Tower gives Electric Lighting in all cities - upped it's cost from 80 to 100.

Electric Lighting now requires Copper instead of Aluminium.

Attachments

• Steampunk updates 2.zip
    68.7 KB · Views: 162
Restarting as Anglo :)

As for the Indians, I did turn San Fran, but everyone had the luxuries I had for trading :(

#$%# Nemo!! Damn Nautilus sunk all the frigates I had at start, plus 2 I build after. I had to gang up on it with 5 heavy ship!!:mad:

Even with links provided chasing patchs/updates across several posts is a chore. Consider updating the OP & having them there. It may make play less fun but consider making the patches a little less frequent but more comprehensive. I'd rather continue a game with known problems to see what else I find than have to continually restart without getting to the endgame. Frequent restarts mean fewer notes to post.

jlvfr - the whole time I've been reading about the Indians I took it that you were playing India. If you call the faction NA (Native Americans) or something similar there won't be any confusion.

Read Verne. Only took 5 sail/steam-powered ships to sink the first nuclear submarine the world had ever seen? Those odds sound about right to me.

jlvfr - the whole time I've been reading about the Indians I took it that you were playing India. If you call the faction NA (Native Americans) or something similar there won't be any confusion.

Sorry, it's a language thing. For me, indians are indios (portuguese for native americans); indianos are from India :)

Read Verne. Only took 5 sail/steam-powered ships to sink the first nuclear submarine the world had ever seen? Those odds sound about right to me.

Actually, it was 5 turbine frigates. I caught him of the coast of Ireland, going home; it was at half-life (probably been attacking someone). 4 of the frigates bombed him down to 1 hit point... and the frigate that actually attacked survived with 1 point and got elite :goodjob:

Sorry, it's a language thing. For me, indians are indios (portuguese for native americans); indianos are from India :)
Understood. In the US ( & Canada afaik) "Indians" is still common even though much less than in the past. It's considered rude by many people. The Native Americans I know don't even like being called that. They prefer the use of their distinct tribal affiliation. Maybe we can come up with a backstory that lets us use some more specific name. The Dine spread out to politically dominate the central plains as well as the Southwest? The Iriquois Confederacy extends Westward? Same sort of thing could be done for MesoAmercia. & India could become Bharata.

Actually, it was 5 turbine frigates. I caught him of the coast of Ireland, going home; it was at half-life (probably been attacking someone). 4 of the frigates bombed him down to 1 hit point... and the frigate that actually attacked survived with 1 point and got elite :goodjob:
Turbines are a type of engine rather than a power source. Steam-powered turbines are still in use today. Many power plants heat water by burning various - the steam turns the turbines that generate the electricity.

Once the scenario plays smoothly it would be nice to see a write up as a story. The battle you describe is just the sort of thing.

Turbines are a type of engine rather than a power source. Steam-powered turbines are still in use today. Many power plants heat water by burning various - the steam turns the turbines that generate the electricity.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to make it clear that I didn't the old steam/sail models. These are a bit better... :)

Once the scenario plays smoothly it would be nice to see a write up as a story. The battle you describe is just the sort of thing.

I've been restarting too much for that, I think. But got another story: since I have Australia, I sent my only aussie rifleman unit to scout the place and... OMG GIANT SPIDERS AAAAAERRRGGG! :eek: poor guys barelly managed to survive. I used a frigate to bomb the northen spiders before attacking them, which helped, but it was close.

And then the frigate get's torpedoed on it's way to the UK, to get reinforcements for Australia... :sad:

BUG: Land Leviathans didn't have a tech prerequisite - it should be Mass Production. This is a big game breaker so I will need to release another biq to fix it I'm afraid unless you guys are able to fix yourselves.

I was wondering why I was seeing them and never saw any Juggernauts. It also made me think that the techs were passing too quickly.

Here is the latest update:

* A fix for Land Leviathans.
* Added more food resources to the Mal starting locations and a worker to Libertatia (formerly Sky Pirate Base).
* A work in progress copy of the civilopedia - still much to do.

Attachments

• Steampunk updates 3.zip
    253.3 KB · Views: 163
New biq, restarted with Continental Aliance... and I now have "gas lightning" from the start? With no requirements? Is this correct?

Yes my bad. Trying to do things too quickly and late at night.

While I was editing the civilopedia I noticed the entry for power plants (which gas lighting is one of) mentioned it boosts the Factory output of a city. Since Gas Lighting comes before Factories I needed to test whether Gas Lighting would be worthless until Factories could be built. Turns out the pedia is nonsense and power plants boost city production and don't need factories at all. To test this I set gas light with no tech prereq. and 0 cost and then forgot to set it back.

I'm going to take an executive decision and ditch the random biq for now - trying to duplicate the edits in two biqs is prone to error.

Chugging along with the Continental Aliance. So far so good. I have all the resources I need, about 2/3s of Europe, New Orleans, Mexico and 2 cities in Indonesia... but these 2 don't count. They are so far away, their only job is to defend themselves and the relics they are siting on. Been using a digirible to ferry units to them.

Money and tech-wise I'm doing ok. No european war yet means I've been able to focus in development. But now that almost everyone has pretty high tech, I'm setting up for war!

I've decided to conquer the Wild West. Yes, Napoleon will attack the Sioux. Why? Because it's a relatively small civ, contained in just one area. It will mean a lot of naval/air transport, to ferry troops from Europe, but it's worth it, I think.

Top Bottom