Steampunk World Scenario

Hi Blue - I've seen that load error and fixed it. It's simply a search folders (in scenario properties) setting. The fix should be in the latest version uploaded to atomicgamer. I'll verify that later today but you should have 2 folders in the zip: one for Steampunk Earth and one for Steampunk World. Can you check that those are present? thanks.

I encountered the error within a few minutes of my post. So unless the latest version was uploaded after that it's what I have installed. Both folders are present in my installation. My first thought was that it might be because of the slight differences in the Mac version of the directory paths. But if that was the case I would expect to have had the same problem with the random biq. That I've been playing off & on all evening - text errors would likely have cropped up by now.

I think it might be a mac issue.

Random biq just has one search path that is the same name as the biq file. Steampunk Earth's search path is something like:

Steampunk Earth;\..\Steampunk Worlds

This is from memory and I'll verify when I get home tonight.

Started game on Earth, playing as Moriarty. No problems at start.

And that's it for Moriarty :(

I don't think Moriarty has any chance of being a serious contender. The cities in the islands (even Madagascar) are useless, the one in Africa is surrounded by swamps, so it can't grow, and the capital is surrounded by mountains, so same problem. Also... OMG look at so many barbarians! :eek: I had the capital looted 3 times, and the eurpean city twice; there's simply no time to build up defences...

Also lost the european city (twice!!) to cultural rebelion. Bloody traitors :mad:

Moriarty does excel at stealing techs from the rest of the world, but without cities to use them...

And the Nautilus is great! I used it to bombard barbarians in South America, thus saving my only city there. :goodjob:

Btw, a bit disapointed with the "Worlds" version. I thought we would have the same civs as the "Earth" only on random map... :confused:

Of to pick another civ in the Earth map.

It might be too difficult to win with Moriarty but there are some tactics that will help such as

* upgrading your special units: Dracula and Fu Manchu and combining them with the Nautilus and the Albatross.

* Barbarians are tougher than normal but nothing to be concerned about - I usually deal with them by spending all my money and moving my units out of cities - they disappear after they loot the city (and because I have no money they don't gain any of it). A fast cavalry unit is usually enough to overrun the "camps" after that.

* bide your time - the league of shadows will keep you up with the techs so you can drop down research to nothing and accumulate money to rush units.

* Although Communism is a good gov choice to address the corruption in dispersed cities, Democracy is a better choice for rush building.

* pick on one of the weaker civs: Africans, Indians or Mesoamericans.

* Go for the Wonders that autoproduce units - if you keep your monopoly on aetherium no one else can build them. This will gain you an army of Reanimates, Invisible Men, Pterodactyls, Martian War Machines and Mind Flayers that cost nothing in upkeep. There is no unit that can match the Martian War Machine in offence or the Mind Flayer in defence.

I have a game underway with them just now and I'll let you know how I get on. If it proves too difficult (I want this to be a challenge but still fun after all) I will revisit them:

*Possibly a few more special units will help: Kong, a Moureau creation, a T-rex etc.

*Allow them to make sacrifices in order to build culture.

The Worlds version is just a straight import of the vanilla civs but there's plenty of time to "punk" them up. This was the quickest way to get the game out there for testing and it doesn't effect the core gameplay.

BUG found:
Tesla Perambulator: the entry in the "pediaicons.txt" is wrong. Calls up the file
TelsaPramLarge.pcx

when it should be
TeslaPramLarge.pcx

Simple mispel, fixed, worked well.

As for Moriarty... maybe it's my bad luck, but the barbarians are eating me up :cry:

Restarted as China. Great combination of Oriental looks plus steam punk :goodjob:
Can't find any relics on the mainland, everyone got them first, so am colonizing an island off the Philipines. Also lost the single gas source I had, right when I build a road to it :mad: , so am being forced to build a city at the very north tip of Alaska to get it!

Congrats on the first bug find (apart from Blue's but that's a Mac problem and doesn't really count ;)). Glad you like the oriental steampunk look - Blue Monkey helped fill out that unit line. Wait till you get the Dragon Automata :)

one thing I have noticed that others may confirm: era 3 whizzes past too quickly and no one seems to build juggernauts at all - perhaps because Land Leviathans are just around the corner - the AI does end up with lots of Land Leviathans though when I'm way back in techs - they could easily steam roll me if they wanted. I may have to adjust tech costs to slow research down and do some unit cost adjustments as well.

Speaking of techs: did I see "nuclear weapons" mentioned in a unit description/civipedia?

I hate nukes in Civ; the PC starts using them left and right and that pretty much ends any game :(

Speaking of techs: did I see "nuclear weapons" mentioned in a unit description/civipedia?

I hate nukes in Civ; the PC starts using them left and right and that pretty much ends any game :(

"Nukes" are Germ Bombs in this game and come with the tech: Germ Warfare. Let me know if the AI uses them - I haven't seen them do so yet.

2 questions:
-I'm able to build shipyards in cities that don't have a port. Shouldn't a port be a requisite?
-There are invisible units?! Help! Just lost a city to a stack (city had 2 defenders :( )

2 questions:
-I'm able to build shipyards in cities that don't have a port. Shouldn't a port be a requisite?
-There are invisible units?! Help! Just lost a city to a stack (city had 2 defenders :( )

The two aren't strictly linked - there are many shipyards on rivers for example that don't have ports. I could even have allowed them to be built inland as long as a river was in the city limits but decided against that.

You were probably attacked by Invisible Men. You need Secret Agents to see them but I guess an earlier unit with that ability is required - maybe explorers?

You were probably attacked by Invisible Men. You need Secret Agents to see them but I guess an earlier unit with that ability is required - maybe explorers?

I think so, yes. I'm now building Land Leviathans and still can't detect them...

Edit: btw, I think we also need more ways to control polution. I have only 3 cities above size 12, and am using Gas Lightning, and have massive quantities of polution. Right now I got 5 spots with polution, tying up 12 workers...

You should switch your Gas Lighting to Electric Lighting and build Pneumatic Subway Transport Systems (reduces building pollution).

Sewer systems also reduce pop pollution.

I will give Explorers the See Invisible ability.

Thanks for testing :thumbsup:

Top Bottom