NESLife VI

Personally I was surprised the name of the more earth like of the two planet names I suggested was so popular.

Since I never got around to voting for oceans, I'll throw my vote for these two remaining names for intermediate continents.

Graderian
Eddorian

Here's a map of Lambda's tectonics. Red plate boundaries are convergent, Blue are divergent, White are transform.

Link to video.

All this world crafting and the likes reminds me of a old game. A game where you took a planet, developed it until it eventually developed life, then developed the life until it developed civilization, then developed that civilization until it made it to the industrial age, and then proceed to develop that industrial civilization until it and as many other cities had reached had developed into the last age of tech and a billion existed at that level, then said intelligent species flew off into the cosmos, leaving you to advance a new species to intelligence. Until the star proceeded to heat up to the point it was too hot and the star died.

EDIT: I cant get the video to work

I wish I still had SimEarth. That game use to entertain me for hours. Once I left my game alone for a few hours and when I came back bamboo had conquered the planet. It evolved to grow in the ocean and covered all the landmasses. The animals had nothing to feed on because the bamboo became resistant to herbivores. I never realized bamboo had plans for global domination and I do not trust that plant anymore. I have to say though my favorite part was the Oooh Laa Laa noises every time the animals mated.

Still play SimEarth from time to time

Well, SimLife was an awesome game too :p

SimEarth sounds like a game I would have enjoyed. I do not know why I never played it. When you guys were describing it, it sounded like SimLife. That is where the mix up emerged and the fact I played these games over a decade ago :)

I personally preferred SimEarth to SimLife, but then, I only got around to playing SimLife lonnnng after its release when it may not have held to my personal expectations of what might have been possible for a modern version. SimEarth having been played back on the SNES relatively closer to its original PC release may be getting a preference bonus from nostalgia.

Spoiler Extant Organisms :
Primary Producers

Organism: Aikoater
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with silicate crystals for defense, radial extensions for greater light capture, and semi-parasitic spores for reproduction.
Niche: Defensive benthic primary producer.

Organism: Drifter
Description: An interlinked mass of photosynthetic cells with silicate crystals for defense, gaseous sacs for buoyancy, radial extensions for greater light capture, and budding reproduction.
Niche: Defensive benthic primary producer.

Organism: Greater
Description: A mass of photosynthetic cells with silicate crystals for defense, radial extensions for greater light capture, an organic fibreglass substructure and specialized reproductive cells.
Niche: Tall, defensive benthic primary producer.

Organism: Islander
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with silicate crystals for defense, radial extensions for greater light capture, saprotrophic roots and spores for reproduction.
Niche: Defensive floating island primary producer and saprotroph.

Organism: Polypu
Description: A gaseous sac with a photosynthetic skin and specialized reproductive cells.
Niche: Hovering primary producer.

Organism: Sporer
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with highly-specialized tissues for mass-reproduction.
Niche: Mass-reproducing primary producer.

Organism: Sunseeker
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with specialized reproductive cells, capable of directional epiphytic growth, surrounded by a high-friction defensive protein coat.
Niche: Defensive epiphytic primary producer.

Organism: Sunshield
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with specialized reproductive cells, surrounded by a defensive protein coat.
Niche: Defensive primary producer.

Organism: Tider
Description: A photosynthetic mass with specialized reproductive cells, floating young and limited desiccation resistance.
Niche: Intertidal primary producer.

Organism: Tonu
Description: A mass of photosynthetic cells with specialized reproductive cells, buoyed by a gaseous external sac.
Niche: Floating primary producer.

Organism: Towerspore
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with highly-specialized tissues for mass-reproduction, adapted to live in Tower vents.
Niche: Mass-reproducing tower vent primary producer.

Organism: Turretspore
Description: A flat mass of photosynthetic cells with highly-specialized tissues for mass-reproduction and toxic defenses, adapted to live in Tower vents.
Niche: Mass-reproducing toxic tower vent primary producer.

Organism: Zeppu
Description: A photosynthetic mass with specialized reproductive cells, buoyed into the splash zone by a gaseous external sac.
Niche: Hovering primary producer.

Filter Feeders

Organism: Executive
Description: A spongy organism buoyed by gaseous internal sacs, with extended peripheral hooks which attach to nearby organisms and passively absorb nutrients.
Niche: Passive, agglomerative floating island filter feeder and saprotroph.

Organism: Floater
Description: A cluster of spongy cells buoyed by gaseous internal sacs.
Niche: Passive, floating filter feeder.

Organism: Hitcher
Description: A cluster of spongy cells buoyed by gaseous internal sacs, with peripheral hooks which attach to nearby organisms.
Niche: Passive, floating, agglomerative filter feeder.

Organism: Luask
Description: A jet-propelled cluster of spongy cells buoyed by gaseous internal sacs.
Niche: Motile, low-energy floating filter feeder.

Organism: Popper
Description: A cluster of spongy cells atop an inedible, mineralized pillar. Releases larvae in floating spores, which parasitize floating lifeforms before maturing and returning to the seafloor.
Niche: Passive, stationary filter feeder with parasitic juvenile life stage.

Organism: Sinker
Description: A cluster of spongy cells which modulate their buoyancy with gaseous internal sacs.
Niche: Floating filter feeder in medium to deep oceans.

Organism: Svi
Description: A noxious, unspecialized cluster of spongy cells which circulates ammonia with undulating microstructures.
Niche: Toxic, stationary filter feeder.

Organism: Tower
Description: A cluster of spongy cells pumping cells atop an inedible, mineralized vented pillar.
Niche: Passive, stationary filter feeder with habitable vents.

Swimmers

Organism: Clapper
Description: A motile, filament with prominent gripping hooks.
Niche: Ectoparasite on passive floating lifeforms.

Organism: Dawie
Description: A motile, predatory filament of cells with hooked fins for grip and locomotion, primitive eyes and a stinging tentacle.
Niche: Stinging swimming floating island visual predator.

Organism: Hobo
Description: A motile, predatory filament of cells with a sac-like gut, slimy skin, a ribbon-like tail for swimming and an olfactory organ.
Niche: Olfactory swimming generalist.

Organism: Ma’wi
Description: A crawling predator with hooked fins, a skeleton, primitive eyes and a stinging tentacle.
Niche: Stinging crawling floating island visual predator.

Organism: Mawie
Description: A motile, predatory filament of cells with hooked fins for grip and locomotion, and a stinging tentacle.
Niche: Stinging swimming floating island-based predator.

Organism: Protlaepish
Description: A motile predator with dense musculature and hooked fins for crawling, swimming and leaping, primitive eyes and a stinging tentacle.
Niche: Stinging swimming floating island-based visual predator of Zeppus and Polypus.

Organism: Spinseer
Description: A motile, predatory swimmer with a rudimentary notochord, primitive infrared sense and a ribbon-like tail.
Niche: Open ocean visual swimming predator.

Organism: Stabby
Description: A motile, olfactory predator with a sac-like gut, slimy skin, gripping spikes, and a ribbon-like tail for swimming.
Niche: Olfactory swimming generalist.

Organism: Sticker
Description: A motile, predatory dorsoventrally flattened organism with high surface area and complex digestive enzymes.
Niche: Swimming omnivorous generalist.

Organism: Slimmer
Description: A motile, predatory dorsoventrally flattened organism with high surface area and complex digestive enzymes.
Niche: Swimming omnivorous generalist.

Organism: Thrasher
Description: A motile, predatory swimmer with a rudimentary notochord, primitive infrared sense, primitive serrated jaws and a ribbon-like tail.
Niche: Open ocean visual swimming apex predator.

Thick Feasters

Organism: Chomper
Description: An armoured motile, predatory organism with 10 spines for locomotion and defense and a powerful jaw.
Niche: Armoured, crawling omnivorous generalist.

Organism: Curatol
Description: An armoured motile scavenging organism with 10 spines for locomotion and defense, 2 of which are adapted for olfaction.
Niche: Olfactory armoured, crawling scavenger.

Organism: Digestor
Description: An armoured motile, predatory organism with complex digestive enzymes and a cranial digestive tract.
Niche: Armoured, crawling Sunshield-specialized herbivore.

Organism: Goliath
Description: A heavily armoured and spiked predator with 10 spines for locomotion and a powerful jaw.
Niche: Armoured, crawling apex predator.

Organism: Orator
Description: An armoured motile, predatory organism with 10 spines for locomotion and defense and two primitive stalked eyes.
Niche: Visual armoured, crawling omnivorous generalist.

Organism: Os-Cibus
Description: An armoured, motile, predatory organism with a cartilaginous longitudinal core, digestive tract and crushing, trilateral jaws.
Niche: Armoured, crawling, burrowing Inedible-specialized herbivore.

Organism: Os-Spina
Description: An armoured, motile, predatory organism with a cartilaginous longitudinal core and crushing, trilateral jaws.
Niche: Armoured, crawling, burrowing Inedible-specialized herbivore.

Organism: Pedagogue
Description: An armoured omnivore with 10 articulated legs for swift locomotion and two primitive stalked eyes.
Niche: Visual armoured, crawling omnivorous generalist.

Organism: Spike
Description: A heavily armoured and spiked motile herbivore with complex digestive enzymes and a cranial digestive tract.
Niche: Armoured, crawling Sunshield-specialized herbivore.

The stats are now up, both in this post and in the update post for Epoch IV. I hope to update on Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

Organism: Svi
Description: A noxious, unspecialized cluster of spongy cells which circulates water with undulating microstructures.
Niche: Toxic, stationary filter feeder.

Name: Galasvi
Ancestor: Svi (Airisan)
Selective pressure: competition for feeding sites, and reproductive success
Mutation: morphologically, the Galasvi is a marked departure from the Svi, exhibiting an organised body with curious radial, multi-armed-spiral symmetry. The flow of ammonia is channelled through and along the spiral grooves in the surface, where there are cillia for both catching plankton and facilitating hydrogen diffusion in the manner of gills. The interior of the spiral arms contains fluid that circulates hydrogen and stores nutrients, supporting larger body sizes. Galasvi can move slowly, using undulating cilia in contact with the seafloor, and will happily smother smaller life-forms to get a good feeding spot. Galasvi remain as toxic as their ancestors, but reproduce by simply splitting off their spiral arms, which will then grow into new spirals, bypassing any vulnerable embryonic stage.

Edit: too much at once? I'd like to go with the hydrogen circulation / increased body size above anything else ^^

Spoiler :

Organism: Tider
Description: A photosynthetic mass with specialized reproductive cells, floating young and limited desiccation resistance.
Niche: Intertidal primary producer.

I guess it's about time to get away from my Spinelo-lineage for a while, since the Thrasher is now an apex.

Organism: Shooteroid
Ancestor: Tider
Selective pressure: The need to out-develop competition and to further seperate itself from predation all together has driven the Shooteroid to adapt.
Mutation: The Shooteroid has brought forth a mutation that allows the organism to survive in much more extended periods of time without the need of the ammonia-water oceans. To do this, the shooteroid will in times of very high-tides anchor itself in the soil above the average tide line with rapidly growing root systems that dig out a hole for the Shooteroid. These root systems also absorb nutrients to supplement the Shooteroid. Once the Shooteroids are fully encassed in the muddy soil near the ocean waves, small sprouts of roots will appear from the top to soak up energy from the now fully exposed sun and light.

Got the idea of this mutation because the Tider looked like a potatoe :p.

Name: Friendly
Ancestor: Stabby
Selective Pressure: Predation
Mutation: The ever growing refinement of the Olfactory receptors of the Stabby had an interesting result. As stabbies near to each other were able to respond to each other's chemical cues (Responding, for example, to good food or approaching predators) Friendlies have developed a primitive herd/colony response, with a rotational approach to feeding: Some friendlies remain swimming on the periphery of the group, keeping guard, able, from the removed position, to notice approaching predators and "Warn" other friendlies, and all would then swim away in a group.

Spoiler :
Organism: Hitcher
Description: A cluster of spongy cells buoyed by gaseous internal sacs, with peripheral hooks which attach to nearby organisms.
Niche: Passive, floating, agglomerative filter feeder.

Organism: Belayers
Ancestor: Hitcher (Arisian)
Selective Pressure: Dying in the core areas of floating islands, particularly by passive Executives.
Mutation: To avoid death by slowly moving towards the death-cores of floating islands, eventually being eaten by Executives, Belayers now can manually detach their hooks, rotate them, and angle them, allowing Belayers to slowly move away from the suffocating centres of floating islands (at the expense of those they use to climb out). They can also move towards less populated sections of floating islands to filter more food. In particular, Belayers climb the many roots of Executives as highways for this movement.

Top Bottom