Settler: 1SW, found Aachen, do not select research
Aachen: Settler, work 2F1H forest
Worker: Move 1SW road, cancel, add 1/2 road sign; 2SW; chop
Scout: circle around gems
Archer: scout coastline

Stop conditions
  • Click end of turn 4 times
  • Weirdness happens

Aachen should be building settler first, not granary.

Otherwise good to go

Playing around making a test map, and unless the mapmaker intentionally added lakes, I don't think we're on an inland sea map. The inland sea script creates one single ocean, with no smaller lakes at all.

OK, I have a bit of a problem. I founded Aachen, hit end turn, and now I'm at the "What would you like to research next?" window. I can choose "Let's see the Big Picture..." or I could choose a tech... but how do I avoid choosing a tech? I don't see a "delay decision until later" option, and the escape key and other things I've tried have no effect. How do I dismiss the "What would you like to research next?" window?

Pick a tech from the list, and then click on the research progress bar at the top of the screen. It will de-select the tech you've chosen and let you end turn.

Edit: To be safe, pick Math from the list, since that is most likely what we will tech eventually.

Edit2: Let me know if that's not clear. It took me a while to figure it out myself.

Save is uploaded. We found jungle-rice by the gems, found the top edge of the map with some horses that are on clear terrain but totally surrounded by jungle. In the south we found rice by the hilly banana, more jungle rice, and lots of land bridges heading south. I suspect we're on a Lakes map. Rice+banana might make a good second city with some decent food. It seems certain that the four oliphant site is safe from AI poaching. We can see land SE of the crabs, and I think there's a land bridge on the far east edge of the map.

Full map (our scout is on the northern pig):
Spoiler :

Southern detail:
Spoiler :

edit: with iron working, the site 1SE of the horses (between horses and gems) could be a very special city.

edit 2: I wish I'd made my test map after this set, instead of before. Knowing where the top edge of the map is located is very helpful.

edit 3: maybe it's not lakes? Lakes has ice poles. What is anyone's best guess on map template? I'll wait to hear before trying to make another test map.

Great job! :goodjob:

It looks like we are at the NE corner of the map, with no one to our immediate north. The horse/pig/banana site is too far away to consider right now, and should be safe until the AI gets IW.

I agree about the rice/banana site looking nice. We should expand toward the AI. We will definitely need fogbusting units for all the land behind us. (Edit: the fogbusters can also scout NE of the elephants to see if there is a food source up there.)

edit 3: maybe it's not lakes? Lakes has ice poles. What is anyone's best guess on map template? I'll wait to hear before trying to make another test map.

With jungle extending all the way to the north edge of the map, maybe it's a edited Rainforest map?

With jungle extending all the way to the north edge of the map, maybe it's a edited Rainforest map?

Seems likely. The mapmaker could do interesting things with the deserts and mountains, to avoid it being just a large jungly pangea.

We need to think about how the archer should explore. The scout is buried in jungle up north. Should the archer be seeking out AI and exploring coast, or circling back to explore the rice/banana and defending?

I can't see the images at work, but I can open the save.....

So many bananas, we have to get Calendar.
So much jungle, we have to get IW.

Pigs, Rice, Horses, Bananas & Gems is fantastic, but will take ages to setup and is miles away.

I still kind of like the 4 phants site first, as it has very powerful tiles. The other contender for city 2 is the rice/bananas to the east.

What does concern me is barbs, barbs are going to be nasty.... lets secure our corner first.

edit: archer to sweep south, see if the water is a large lake. Scout to swing south to rice/bananas??

I think Maths first is still the priority, then probably Calendar.

And... seeing our surrounds, I wish to change my unit thoughts:
- archer to come back and protect us and city 2 from nasty barbs
- scout to scout rice/banana site.

Yes - It's probably best to set up a good production site next.

We have 12 turns before humanoid barbs start to show up. Maybe have the scout go counter-clockwise around that lake? I'll bet there is another AI west of that lake.

We should definitely fogbust between us and the city 2 site. I can't recall if we have another unit in the short term plans. There is no point in getting a settler out fast if we can't get it to where we want.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and explorers act as fogbusters as well.

OK, archer to keep going south, scout to do the rice/banana site? It seems suboptimal for scout to continue in the current direction, as I doubt we will see any AI on the northen edge.

If we can have the scout make it to the rice/banana site before the settler pops, then we can decide where to fogbust and settle.

We can slot one or two archer/warrior into the queue after the settler, instead of the granary.

I'm sure we can juggle it to not delay city 3 too much

Top Bottom