New Hands-On Gameplay Preview (Morocco/Indonesia, Tech Tree, & more)

Have to say, though, that I'm very underwhelmed by the "Universal Health-care" Tenet. I really hope they change it's effects before the final release ;-). That's my only real complaint so far though!

Aussie.

Also, the video seems to be playing some of the new Leader Music (quite briefly of course)

Yup - the new music is FANTASTIC. You might hear a snippet of the new leader music, but the new main theme is quite nice as well (Edited).

Just watched it; awesome video! Thanks again!

Though, next time, please slow down a bit more when revealing tooltips and scrolling down lists. ;)

Ah, but where's the fun in that? :)

And since a lot of you are asking, this is the exact text on the Indonesia UA:
"Spice Islanders"
"The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed)."

I goofed and said first 2 cities in the video, but it's actually 3.

Yup - the new music is FANTASTIC. The music you hear at the open and close are the main menu music, otherwise you're hearing some of Morocco's custom tracks.

The music you hear at the open and close is the main menu music for vanilla. The music you hear during Morocco's play-through is the generic Middle-Eastern music.

The music you hear at the open and close is the main menu music for vanilla. The music you hear during Morocco's play-through is the generic Middle-Eastern music.

Oops, my bad. We must have used the old versions, then. There is new music in the preview build's intro and main menu screen, and Morocco has unique songs.

Awesome video! It's nice to see a video put together by someone who themselves looks like a "fanatic"!

Yeah, funny how the Rev3Games preview is a lot shorter than a lot of the other ones that came out today, yet it has by far the most information and is the easiest to watch. Thanks, man.

It seems like a lot of the happiness from the social policies has been moved to the tenants -- for example, the happiness from universities and walls and such. This seems to suggest that rationalism and honor have changed as well.

However, there is happiness in the exploration branch from harbors.

Aesthetics seems to have gotten some of piety's policies, so piety seems to have changed as well. So at the very least piety, rationalism, and honor seem to have some changes.

I'm having a little trouble seeing the benefit of cities starting with 2 population as well as the monument tenant once your ideology is set since it will be later in the game.

Do you think a lot of happiness produced from policies has been moved to later in the game to slow city sprawl?

Finally got to see the video. It looks amazing!

You know, I don't think the Indonesia UA excludes the possibility of Glass for Venice. If the actual text of the UA mentions unique luxury resources but doesn't actually state which resources these are, then I would interpret that as meaning that these will be random luxuries not generated by the map in that particular game.

Dennis' comment in the livestream ages ago that started this whole Civ luxury speculation made it pretty clear that there will be a new luxury in the game, linked in some way to one of the new Civs.

I wouldn't rule Venice out just yet.

Rule Venice out? Venice is pretty much confirmed by being removed as a city state.

Finally got to see the video. It looks amazing!

You know, I don't think the Indonesia UA excludes the possibility of Glass for Venice. If the actual text of the UA mentions unique luxury resources but doesn't actually state which resources these are, then I would interpret that as meaning that these will be random luxuries not generated by the map in that particular game.

Dennis' comment in the livestream ages ago that started this whole Civ luxury speculation made it pretty clear that there will be a new luxury in the game, linked in some way to one of the new Civs.

Why would they be random luxuries when they are specifically the Spice Islands? I think at this point this is trying to hard for the whole Glass thing.

Not had a chance to check out the video yet, but from the updated "What we know" page, while I'm thrilled to have Indonesia, I'm a little underwhelmed by the approach they've taken.

Jakarta as capital is disappointing, particularly with a leaderhead that includes Trowulan in the background.

Unique resource for first cities founded on other landmasses doesn't seem much more than a variant of a happiness bonus civ like the Netherlands, unless the still-undisclosed resource itself has specific effects. The GPT bonus from having one extra unique resource along trade routes isn't that high as I understand it. Overall, "get a new resource by building here" seems considerably less flexible than the Portuguese Freitoria without doing anything very different mechanically.

Curious as to what the resource would be - as the UA is designed it seems intended to be a natural resource the civ colonises, and is plainly intended to reflect the spice islands. Will it be a specific spice, such as cloves? In the context of the UA a resource like coffee (an import) would make no sense.

On the Venice question, I think the occurrence of Ragusa as a CS is compelling, just because Venice has such a limited pool of cities to choose from to begin with (the highest-profile of which is Constantinople - are they really going to add a third version of Byzantium?) From what I understand they ditched the original "one city civ" plan with the Huns, why revisit it now?

I do however very much like the approach taken with Morocco, and the leaderhead is amazing.

It seems like a lot of the happiness from the social policies has been moved to the tenants -- for example, the happiness from universities and walls and such. This seems to suggest that rationalism and honor have changed as well.

However, there is happiness in the exploration branch from harbors.

Aesthetics seems to have gotten some of piety's policies, so piety seems to have changed as well. So at the very least piety, rationalism, and honor seem to have some changes.

I'm having a little trouble seeing the benefit of cities starting with 2 population as well as the monument tenant once your ideology is set since it will be later in the game.

Do you think a lot of happiness produced from policies has been moved to later in the game to slow city sprawl?

I think it's a good move, policies will be cheaper: In the video at 4:45 the player has 9 SPs with (I think) four cities and the cost for the tenth is 495:c5culture:. According to this site it would be 1720:c5culture:! So expanding late game won't be nearly as horrible as it is currently - in fact it may even speed up SP/tenet acquisition - and starting new cities with 2 pop and super cheap happiness-granting Monuments as well as domestic TRs pumping it full of food and production means the new expansions will be up and running quickly.

On the Venice question, I think the occurrence of Ragusa as a CS is compelling, just because Venice has such a limited pool of cities to choose from to begin with (the highest-profile of which is Constantinople - are they really going to add a third version of Byzantium?) From what I understand they ditched the original "one city civ" plan with the Huns, why revisit it now?

I do however very much like the approach taken with Morocco, and the leaderhead is amazing.

They wouldn't do anything with Constantinople. Venice captured it then handed it over to some Count, founding the Latin Empire. So they never ruled it as far as I recall.

Rule Venice out? Venice is pretty much confirmed by being removed as a city state.

Some have suggested that Ragusa's appearance makes Venice less likely.

Ignoring the city state business, I think Venice must still be in. Every other plausible candidate has been eliminated.

As for Indonesia's unique luxuries, if they are something specific then why does the UA not name them? I think they will vary from game to game depending on what luxuries other civs have.

I still think with Europe you can't be certain (Ukraine and Romania IE) simply because of the number of nations and possible directions with them

I thought Bucharest had been seen, in which case, no Romania.

Ukraine are a possibility, but I'm not sure enough of their history to comment on what they would bring to the game. Not a lot might be the answer.

Bucharest has not been seen, as has been said it was a false sighting which we now determined was Buenos Aires, not Bucharest

I thought Bucharest had been seen, in which case, no Romania.

Ukraine are a possibility, but I'm not sure enough of their history to comment on what they would bring to the game. Not a lot might be the answer.

Bucharest was important for historical Wallachia?

Top Bottom