Brave New World - LArge Empires & War Mongering

Gamgee

Chieftain
Is this even feasible anymore? It seems like every turn I am being punished for going to war. Wold Congress sanction this, no trade that, that this. you we will all ally against you and send a never ending tide of units at you. Science penalty this. I am doing it, but onyl barely and it feels like I am just a few turns before having my navies and armies smashed.

I feel taking gold away from river tiles has hindered the gameplay and crippled one of the few good things Civ 5 had over its predecessors, that it was more lightweight, easier to teach, and quicker to play. The game hasn't added any NEW mechanics to award us with, but simply taken away and made it more complicated and frustrating. I think for the first time in the history of a long time I'm going to have to not give a Civilization expansion a good review. I have never had my joy for playing a game so thoroughly crushed as by this update.

Is there any way I can GET RID OF Brave New World and install Gods and Kings? For me, and all of my friends sanity. It's just not fun with these additions.

The war gameplay has seriously become tedious, boring, slow, and punished. Smaller empires being rewarded big time. I feel like I just got kicked in the face for no good reason.

Everyone and every city state is now at war with me in my game. I have to go and conquer the second continent. I don't think I will accomplish this as Polyneisa is in the atomic era and got the manhatten project. He is also in complete control of world congress since he met everyone and made them friends. He has had 14 delegates since it was founded and is unable to be ousted.

Meanwhile I am struggling to make any progress in the tech tree and am stuck in the middle of modern. Every other AI is beginning to outpace me in science. This is ridiculously stupid.

Edit
I can't even get any happiness due to there being no way to trade for luxury resources and I am usually around -2 to -20

(snip)
Is there any way I can GET RID OF Brave New World and install Gods and Kings? (snip)

Our programming gurus may correct me, but I think that, unless you can find a way to roll the game back to pre-latest-patch version, you are stuck with the basic BNW coding for this new AI behavior.

I have no problem warmongering and build large empires, even during the classical mid evil. You must be doing it wrong. The key is to make sure you have a open supply line for your caravans. Which means you will have to buddy up with one of your neighbors or secure a few city states for worry free trade routes. The key for early warmongering is solid trade routes. If you cut off all your money you can not fight. Removing a lot of the gold from terrain has made this game soooooo much better.

I'm on the largest map size by the way. Soon as the world congress came into being I got sanctioned to not trade with city states and soon after the whole world. I can't even fight the guy nominating it because he is on another continent. Well at the time.

I think people are severely underestimating how much of a nerf warmongers got was the science penalty REALLY necessary?

Well come on magical folks of the forum, tell me how its done.

I feel taking gold away from river tiles has hindered the gameplay and crippled one of the few good things Civ 5 had over its predecessors, that it was more lightweight, easier to teach, and quicker to play. The game hasn't added any NEW mechanics to award us with, but simply taken away and made it more complicated and frustrating.
Seriously? You are supposed to use trade routes to get your gold now. So they gave you a replacement. And honestly, I'd suggest you just try an easier difficulty. If you are using the exact same strategy that you used in G&K, then you may have a rough time. My first run through was a little rough, but once I learned the mechanics well and knew what to expect, I did great.

If you think that you can just declare war on everybody and not make any deals with anyone or not keep any friends close, then you are doing it wrong. It would be dumb for the AI NOT to gang up on you and place embargoes on you. You might have been able to get away with that in G&K, but I noticed that the AI is a lot more likely to gang up on a warmongering runaway in BNW, so you need to have at least a few friends close to for trade routes, luxuries, and to vote your way in the World Congress.

Is there any way I can GET RID OF Brave New World and install Gods and Kings? For me, and all of my friends sanity. It's just not fun with these additions.

In the main menu screen there should be a DLC area in which you can activate, and deactivate, DLC which includes BNW. I've never done it but that's how I understand it works.

When your trade routes get insta-blown-up by DOW, AND you get consta-DOW'd for being a warmonger even if you're not an aggressor, I can only feel how silly stupid it is when you are a warmongery player trying to at least maintain ONE good relationship.

No one is underestimating, people are adjusting strategies. My playtime is limitted (compared to some people here) but here are some suggestions:

You have to take warmongering a bit slower, and be more careful about who and how you fight. And how you handle diplomacy. Some things I'd suggest:

1. try to go for wars teaming up with AI. every game that I've played so far the AI has tried to enlist me in several wars. Say yes to one of these and the diplomatic hit will be smaller.

2. you have to annex/occupy less cities. In G&K's the only thing limitting my annexation of cities was happiness, now it's happiness and research penalty, so burn more cities than you used to.

3. almost NEVER finish a civ off, there's no reason, when they are down to one crappy city they will not be a threat anymore, and more often that not some other warmonger AI will step in and finish them off (And take the diplomacy hit).

4. Try to make early friends with war mongers. This is probably tricky (as they may war you), but they will be more tolerant of war mongering. In my domination game I made friends with Ghengis Khan, and he was happy to be my buddy and trade me stuff while I burned Russia and Egypt and Greece to the ground.

5. USE the world Congress. Vote for someone other than yourself for world leader. Pick someone who is tolerant of war mongers and who you have a chance of making a solid trading partner.

6. Vote based 100% on impact on diplomacy, I found myself throwing a delegate in for resolutions I didn't want to pass, because they probably would pass anyway and this way I would get a diplomacy benefit with the civ who proposed it. As an extension, if you can make proposals, make one that everyone thinks is great.

7. liberate cities you might otherwise burn. although the AI's treatment of liberation appears to be really erratic... so I'm not sure this is that great.

8. boost your income from city connections. You can do this through policis, chitzen itza (conquer that city!) and by using internal trade routes to boost the population of your cities. In my domination game I was pulling a lot of income without trade routes (although I got lucky with a lot of copper to generate money in my capital)

9. When AI's are fighting eachother it will almost always be diplomatically advantageous to denounce one of them for the boost of diplo with the civs who hate that one.

I don't know what to tell you, you can't just stomp around the world and expect the AI to sit idly by. I really don't see why this is so upsetting to gameplay, I find that it makes the game WAY more enjoyable and interesting.

All of that said, I do think that BNW has made domination the most difficult victory to achieve. It's easier to get partway there and then switch to one of the others. As you get too many puppets your tech gets bogged down pretty badly, but the idea is to have too much momentum by then, so it's too late to stop you. It's no longer just build units and attack until overwhelming victory is achieved.

I did try to keep allies, I went out of my way to help them. Politics is pointless since Polynesia has 90% of the votes since the congress was founded.

Whatever I'll conquer them the old fashioned way.

Against all odds I'm successfully fighting a three front war and two naval fronts. Conquered two cities on the next continent. Time to reinforce and move in. I'm close to two capitals now. Polynesia being one of them. It's definitely not easy, but I'll conquer them. All of this with old outdated units and superior numbers and tactics. Made peace with one of them who didn't want to die.

Diplomacy can burn in the fires of their razed cities.

Edit
I am doing most of the stuff mentioned here.

When your trade routes get insta-blown-up by DOW, AND you get consta-DOW'd for being a warmonger even if you're not an aggressor, I can only feel how silly stupid it is when you are a warmonger player trying to at least maintain ONE good relationship.

Don't get so caught up on the term WARMONGER. It is just a measure of the number of cities you have taken (you can never DEFENSIVELY take a city), and the number of times you have declared war (ie not been attacked, and not through a DP agreement).

It exists so the AI can quantify a metric to describe those civilizations that are TAKING other peoples cities (or city states) and/or declaring war without being directly attacked.

Human players watch for civs that are taking others cities. When you notice a runaway do even consider whether it was they who attacked, or whether they were attacked and then went on the offensive ? I would hazard a guess as to "No".

If you lose the term warmonger, and think of it in those terms (which are straight from the codebase) it is neither unreasonable nor unjustified. The only time the warmonger penalty seems a little out of whack, is in the early game where the number of cities is small and hence the penalty is disproportionally large.

Also the warmonger penalty while fade over time, so long as you stop taking peoples cities.

Just have a look at your map and count the number of cities you have taken (regardless of who started what), then add the number of times you have declared war (NOT been attacked, or through a DP). Now imagines an AI on the map had done the same, what terms would you use to describe there behaviour and would you consider them a threat ? Both in terms of gameplay, and historically, diplomatic interaction is/was heavily influenced by perceived threat.

The warmonger mechanic is accurately quantified (ie straight from the BNW codebase) in another thread on the BNW forum, was only posted in the last week IIRC. I would suggest you give it a read, it should help with the frustration.

Have Fun

No one is underestimating, people are adjusting strategies. My playtime is limitted (compared to some people here) but here are some suggestions:

You have to take warmongering a bit slower, and be more careful about who and how you fight. And how you handle diplomacy. Some things I'd suggest:

1. try to go for wars teaming up with AI. every game that I've played so far the AI has tried to enlist me in several wars. Say yes to one of these and the diplomatic hit will be smaller.

2. you have to annex/occupy less cities. In G&K's the only thing limitting my annexation of cities was happiness, now it's happiness and research penalty, so burn more cities than you used to.

3. almost NEVER finish a civ off, there's no reason, when they are down to one crappy city they will not be a threat anymore, and more often that not some other warmonger AI will step in and finish them off (And take the diplomacy hit).

4. Try to make early friends with war mongers. This is probably tricky (as they may war you), but they will be more tolerant of war mongering. In my domination game I made friends with Ghengis Khan, and he was happy to be my buddy and trade me stuff while I burned Russia and Egypt and Greece to the ground.

5. USE the world Congress. Vote for someone other than yourself for world leader. Pick someone who is tolerant of war mongers and who you have a chance of making a solid trading partner.

6. Vote based 100% on impact on diplomacy, I found myself throwing a delegate in for resolutions I didn't want to pass, because they probably would pass anyway and this way I would get a diplomacy benefit with the civ who proposed it. As an extension, if you can make proposals, make one that everyone thinks is great.

7. liberate cities you might otherwise burn. although the AI's treatment of liberation appears to be really erratic... so I'm not sure this is that great.

8. boost your income from city connections. You can do this through policis, chitzen itza (conquer that city!) and by using internal trade routes to boost the population of your cities. In my domination game I was pulling a lot of income without trade routes (although I got lucky with a lot of copper to generate money in my capital)

9. When AI's are fighting eachother it will almost always be diplomatically advantageous to denounce one of them for the boost of diplo with the civs who hate that one.

I don't know what to tell you, you can't just stomp around the world and expect the AI to sit idly by. I really don't see why this is so upsetting to gameplay, I find that it makes the game WAY more enjoyable and interesting.

All of that said, I do think that BNW has made domination the most difficult victory to achieve. It's easier to get partway there and then switch to one of the others. As you get too many puppets your tech gets bogged down pretty badly, but the idea is to have too much momentum by then, so it's too late to stop you. It's no longer just build units and attack until overwhelming victory is achieved.

The not finishing off their last city thing will not work anymore as the rules have changed. There used to be a bigger penalty for conquering, now it is more city based IIRC. There will still be a hit diplomatically for taking another city, but it will not be the conquering penalty that existed prior to BNW. Please check out the warmonger mechanic thread on the BNW forums (Sorry cant provide link) it will provide you with more info and allow you to double check in case I am getting confused :)

The not finishing off their last city thing will not work anymore as the rules have changed. There used to be a bigger penalty for conquering, now it is more city based IIRC. There will still be a hit diplomatically for taking another city, but it will not be the conquering penalty that existed prior to BNW. Please check out the warmonger mechanic thread on the BNW forums (Sorry cant provide link) it will provide you with more info and allow you to double check in case I am getting confused :)

I will check, I don't know for sure, but my understanding was that the penalty is still fairly significant as it is related to the number of cities they currently have. The penalty is lower if you take one city and they have 50 than if they have 10.

So if they only have 1 it should still be a significant penalty. But I should check this.

Yeah it's still viable, just a bit trickier now.

With the dom uberpowers like mongolia/arabia etc only deity is going to provide much resistance if you really know what you're doing. Remember it's a victory condition you're after, that's the payoff, if you kill everyone you win :).

There are two ways that an early/mid war strat works out. The first way (the one you're shooting or hoping for) is that you just keep your conquering going virtually uninterrupted until you win via dom victory. Second way is that your initial surge runs out of gas and then you consolidate your gained land and then make for a different victory condition or build up for future attacks.

The new economic system has made both outcomes, but the second case in particular, more difficult because a lot of the benefits from capturing enemy cities have been nerfed. It's still viable (and loads more fun imo - I get a lot more satisfaction from being ruler of the world than being the best trader in the world lol), it requires careful selection of which cities/civs to attack in what order and the management of happiness, plus war skills ofc.

By its nature domination will always be the most efficient way to win the game, even though the benefits from war aren't as massive now. For instance, give me mongolia and let me play immortal and i doubt that the game will last 180 turns even though nowadays you generally have to capture every enemy capital, in rare games where an enemy or two is wiped out and some of your work is done for you then winning around turn 150 should still be possible, on at least immortal. Don't think that would be true for any vc but dom now would it?

As has been said before, it's not that it's impossible, it's just that the cost of opportunity in order to wage war (especially an early war) has risen. As has been said above, you either go all out, keep raising/puppeting cities in one great push, or you try to consolidate at least on one continent and hope to slug it out with another victory type. However, for the first one only a few civs can really pull it off (Huns, Mongolia, Assyria perhaps) and the second just doesn't pay off anymore (research penalties for the number of cities, massive unhappiness at first etc).

The fundamental problem behind this is the way the game awards victory. These should have been game ending conditions instead of game winning conditions. And besides, this may be a game after all, but it is a bit absurd to go specifically after enemy capitals. Another flaw of the game is that victory conditions don't scale up in accordance to map size. In small sized map, domination is the only way to go. In huge or large maps, it's an exercise in supreme patience to go after a domination victory.

Warfare is certainly a costly proposition and you should feel some pain when you decide to go down the warpath. However, in the early to mid-term game, war is prohibitively expensive. You slow down your production of vital buildings in order to build units. Your expenses skyrocket. You can loose vital trade routes either through the friction of war or because your geographical location does not permit alternatives. You may have to neglect other crucial aspects (such as your science, or culture game). The way I would have it, is to separate your war economy from your civilian economy in the way the Total War series does, or the way Warlock the Master of Arcane does. This way your city can split it's building capacity between building a unit and constructing a building simultaneously (using a slider perhaps). In fact, you could give this capacity dependent upon specific technologies (say engineering as is done in Sid Meier's Civilization, The board game by Fantasy Flight). This way you could arrange for a portion of your production to go towards the build up of your army without blocking the crucial construction of say libraries. During a war, the economy could be directed to aid the war effort via a surge in productivity with a penalty in happiness. Also, as I've said before, wars should cost in manpower as well. The notion that by plundering your unit returns to full health is just plain nonsense. Plundering should offer good amounts of gold (more gold if you take the Honor tree) and not health to raiding units. Units should recuperate by reducing the growth rate of cities. Your units drain manpower to replace casualties. Battles should destroy improvements by default. Imagine conducting a battle inside a grain farm, what do you think happens to the trampled grain? Units besieging cities should also destroy terrain improvements. Artillery and bombers should cause massive collateral damage (in the form of destroyed buildings and reduced population). War weariness should be re-introduced. I think that these should be the penalties for war and not just the prohibitive cost of opportunity via lost trade, lost research, lost global happiness and lost buildings.

I will check, I don't know for sure, but my understanding was that the penalty is still fairly significant as it is related to the number of cities they currently have. The penalty is lower if you take one city and they have 50 than if they have 10.

So if they only have 1 it should still be a significant penalty. But I should check this.

Yes well maybe I should double check too :)

I only briefly perused the code but from what I remember it was proportional to the number of cities they had left. So you are partially right. It does get worse if they have only one city left, but this is not like it used to be where CONQUERING was an extra penalty that you gained when taking the last city. As a consequence small empire cities count for more warmongerwise then larger ones, which I suppose makes sense.

Ok here is an article that seems to cover it :

Be aware that PUTMALK's analysis comes straight from the BNW codebase which you can now download through the BETA attached to the Civ V SDK.

Warmonger status is calculated per city now (declaring war still affects that score). Conquering civilizations no longer affects that score.

Keeping one AI civ alive doesn't spare you from warmongering penalty anymore.

The penalty for declaring war on a major/city-state has been halved to 2.5, and the penalty for conquering is gone.

If you recapture a city that used to belong to you, it doesn't affect your warmongering.

Liberating a city also reduces your warmongering penalty (with every other civ).

Happy mongering!

Warmonger penalty per city:

estimated_num_cities = 13 (Duel), 26 (Tiny), 39 (Small), 52 (Standard), 80 (Large), 132 (Huge)

total_num_cities = max(total number of cities current in the game, 1)

num_old_owner_cities = max(old owner's city count, 1)

warmonger change = (10 * estimated_num_cities) / (total_num_cities * num_old_owner_cities)

So if I take one of russia's cities and she has 20 cities on Standard, then I take a warmonger hit of (10 * 52) / (20 * 48) = .54. Compared that to the old 5 for declaring war on a major civilization (+10 for conquering).

Same goes for liberation, in reverse

Some notes:
•stronger warmonger hit for killing a city from a smaller civ than larger civ
•stronger liberation bonus for liberating a city from a smaller civ than larger civ
•declaring war gives a less hit on diplomacy (half)
•this seems awfully similar to my post a few weeks ago. :p

LINKED FROM : http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/1i1q7l/keeping_one_ai_city_alive_no_longer_spares_you/

PUTMALK is pretty much spot on, although the warmonger penalty also has another component relating to the number of players killed and the individual AI's warmonger hate that is calculated separately. Essentially the two are compared and the higher one used.

Here is the code snipper for calculating which Warmonger Threat level is applied (notice the two independent sections).

LOCATED IN : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK\CvGameCoreSource\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2

FILE : CvDiplomacyAI.cpp

Code:
/// Updates how much of a threat each player is to run amok and break everything
void CvDiplomacyAI::DoUpdateWarmongerThreats()
{
	ThreatTypes eThreatType;

int iThreatValue;

int iNumPlayersKilled;
	int iNumPlayersEver = GC.getGame().countCivPlayersEverAlive();
	int iPlayersKilledPercent;
	int iWarmongerMod;

PlayerTypes eLoopPlayer;
	for(int iPlayerLoop = 0; iPlayerLoop < MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iPlayerLoop++)
	{
		eLoopPlayer = (PlayerTypes) iPlayerLoop;

if(IsPlayerValid(eLoopPlayer))
		{
			eThreatType = THREAT_NONE;
			iThreatValue = GetOtherPlayerWarmongerScore(eLoopPlayer);

// Now do the final assessment
			if(iThreatValue >= /*200*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_CRITICAL_THRESHOLD())
				eThreatType = THREAT_CRITICAL;
			else if(iThreatValue >= /*150*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_SEVERE_THRESHOLD())
				eThreatType = THREAT_SEVERE;
			else if(iThreatValue >= /*100*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_MAJOR_THRESHOLD())
				eThreatType = THREAT_MAJOR;
			else if(iThreatValue >= /*50*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_MINOR_THRESHOLD())
				eThreatType = THREAT_MINOR;

// Also test % of players killed (in case we're on a map with very few players or something)
			iNumPlayersKilled = GetOtherPlayerNumMinorsConquered(eLoopPlayer) + GetOtherPlayerNumMajorsConquered(eLoopPlayer);
			if(iNumPlayersKilled > 0)
			{
				iPlayersKilledPercent = iNumPlayersKilled * 100 / iNumPlayersEver;

iWarmongerMod = GetWarmongerHate() - /*5*/ GC.getDEFAULT_FLAVOR_VALUE();	// Calculate difference from default
				iWarmongerMod *= /*10*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_PERSONALITY_MOD();	// This will range from -50 to 50 (%)
				iPlayersKilledPercent += (iPlayersKilledPercent * iWarmongerMod / 100);

if(iPlayersKilledPercent >= /*40*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_CRITICAL_PERCENT_THRESHOLD())
				if(iPlayersKilledPercent >= /*25*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_SEVERE_PERCENT_THRESHOLD())
			}

// Set the Threat
			SetWarmongerThreat(eLoopPlayer, eThreatType);

// decay score
			ChangeOtherPlayerWarmongerAmount(eLoopPlayer, /*-5*/GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_PER_TURN_DECAY());
		}
	}
}

And here is the code for the initial warmonger score calculation (ie the part that PUTMALK was describing). NOTE : WARMONGER SCORE informs the first part of the calculation for WARMONGER THREAT (see above code for the rest).

LOCATED IN : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK\CvGameCoreSource\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2

FILE : CvPlayerAI.cpp

Code:
// slewis - warmonger calculations
	if (bConquest)
	{
		if(!isMinorCiv())
		{
			bool bDoWarmonger = true;

// Don't award warmongering if you're conquering a city you owned back
			if (pOldCity->getOriginalOwner() == GetID())
			{
				bDoWarmonger = false;
			}

if (bDoWarmonger)
			{
				for(int iMajorLoop = 0; iMajorLoop < MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iMajorLoop++)
				{
					PlayerTypes eMajor = (PlayerTypes)iMajorLoop;
					if(GetID() != eMajor && GET_PLAYER(eMajor).isAlive())
					{
						// Have I met the player who conquered the city?
						if(GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eMajor).getTeam()).isHasMet(getTeam()))
						{
							int iNumCities = max(GET_PLAYER(pOldCity->getOwner()).getNumCities(), 1);
							int iWarmongerOffset = (1000 * GC.getMap().getWorldInfo().GetEstimatedNumCities()) / (max(GC.getGame().getNumCities(), 1) * iNumCities);
							GET_PLAYER(eMajor).GetDiplomacyAI()->ChangeOtherPlayerWarmongerAmount(GetID(), iWarmongerOffset);
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}

What PUTMALK'S analysis did not take into account was the sanity check added in the first code section. The one that chooses a warmonger status based on the number of players killed. Note in this instance players killed is the COMBINED number of minors and majors considered conquered. So for a minor it means annexed/puppeted, for a major it either means capital taken or all cities taken not sure which.

A SEVERE Warmonger status is then given if > 25% of players have been killed (modified by the Warmonger Hate stat), and CRITICAL if > 40%.

As the number of city states is large, a warmonger status is hard to get this way. Nominally a standard map has 8 Civ and 16 city states, so 24 in total. That means you would have to conquer 6 players to get SEVERE and approximately 9-10 to get critical. I guess MONGOLIA gets a little screwed in this calculation, but hey GHENGIS is what GHENGIS is :) NOTE : Warmonger hate alters this number up or down.

Duplicated from above for ease of reference.

Code:
			// Also test % of players killed (in case we're on a map with very few players or something)
			iNumPlayersKilled = GetOtherPlayerNumMinorsConquered(eLoopPlayer) + GetOtherPlayerNumMajorsConquered(eLoopPlayer);
			if(iNumPlayersKilled > 0)
			{
				iPlayersKilledPercent = iNumPlayersKilled * 100 / iNumPlayersEver;

iWarmongerMod = GetWarmongerHate() - /*5*/ GC.getDEFAULT_FLAVOR_VALUE();	// Calculate difference from default
				iWarmongerMod *= /*10*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_PERSONALITY_MOD();	// This will range from -50 to 50 (%)
				iPlayersKilledPercent += (iPlayersKilledPercent * iWarmongerMod / 100);

if(iPlayersKilledPercent >= /*40*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_CRITICAL_PERCENT_THRESHOLD())
				if(iPlayersKilledPercent >= /*25*/ GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_SEVERE_PERCENT_THRESHOLD())
			}

// Set the Threat
			SetWarmongerThreat(eLoopPlayer, eThreatType);

// decay score
			ChangeOtherPlayerWarmongerAmount(eLoopPlayer, /*-5*/GC.getWARMONGER_THREAT_PER_TURN_DECAY());

A consequence of this will be for maps with no city states and/or few players, in this case large warmonger status can be awarded more easily then of larger ones, where conquering other players is concerned.

Hope this helps.

BTW Typed this quickly apologies for typos or oversights.

Holding one continent down before meeting anyone else can help you avoid the warmonger penalty. But it is a lot more expensive to develop all those conquered cities between your initial conquest and astronomy. If you pull it off right tho, you're unstoppable and can pursue any VC condition from that point on.

I do like tht in BNW if you aren't going for a domination victory you can go on tactical wars: conquering one capital with lots of great works/wonders, jumpin in on a coalition, or picking off the World Congress Hosts city-state allies. Religion is hugely important because it can make sure you have some allies that back you up no matter how many little wars you fight, especially if the world congress is anti-you or your religion.

I did try to keep allies, I went out of my way to help them. Politics is pointless since Polynesia has 90% of the votes since the congress was founded.
From what I'm seeing so far, you cannot avoid completely any part of the game anymore (diplomacy or culture). If you let them have all the votes, you probably should have compromised in other areas, if not, well you end up suffering ;)

From what I'm seeing so far, you cannot avoid completely any part of the game anymore (diplomacy or culture). If you let them have all the votes, you probably should have compromised in other areas, if not, well you end up suffering ;)

You can also just kill city states. I actually won a cultural victory because I conquered two mercantile CSs who were allied to my biggest culture rival. I needed most happiness for the Order bonus to tourism.

I think permawar with CSs is triggered after you kill more than two?

Top Bottom