Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Assuming and hoping the devs do another DLC run after BNW that would include 7 civs to make it a nice round 50, I would like to see:
- The Khmers
- The Muisca
- The Sioux
- The Inuits
- The Kongo
- Vietnam
- Afghanistan

Afghanistan
Capital: Kabul
Leader: Mir Wais Hotak
UA: Writings of the Ghaznavids. Great Works of writing produce +2:c5faith:. If a Great Writer is within tiles of a city when it's captured, you receive a 100:c5culture: boost and that Great Writer receives a promotion so that when it creates a Great Work, and that Great Work produces double yields. (Promotion cannot be earned twice.)
UU: Turkish Raiders. Replaces horseman. Tiles pillaged by Turkish Raiders become Afghani for 20 turns. One extra movement point.
UU: Mujahideen. Replaces the marine. Units attacked by the Mujahideen receive no combat bonuses at all. Mujahideen receive a 10% combat bonus if attacking units whose civs follow a different ideology. Has 58:c5strength:.

Acknowledging that some of these abilities may be a little OP, this is the basic outline I had for an Afghani civ. Thoughts?

Actually, I think it's kind of weak. The second half of the ua sounds too situational. Maybe they would do better with a bonus to great writers? That could even be part of a library ub if you want the ua to be more creative.
The Turkish Raider, I don't like the name, but that's minor. The pillaged bonus sounds cool at first, but if it just goes back in 20 turns, is it really that powerful? Maybe I'm not getting it. More explanation?
The mujahideen, I like it as is, though you could probably have it closer to the strength of a regular marine. Very strong unit, but it makes something not normally used more likely to be used and it's late, so it should be really strong anyway. Solid uu.

The Turkish Raider is supposed to be a super pillager, where not only does the tile it pillage have less value, but your opponent can't work it at all. Also, I forgot to add that they get a promotion that gives them a 15% combat boost when on a tile that borders someone else's tile, giving them large borderland advantages that they can actually create. Additionally, don't units heal more in friendly territory? I've actually forgotten, but if they do, then you can create little healing spots deep in enemy territory. I will up the Mujahideen strength to 60 to take care of that. My revised UA

Writings of the Ghaznavids: Great Works of writing produce +2:c5faith:. Great Writers receive the same abilities as Great Generals and vice versa, and whenever either of them is within two tiles of a city that's captured, they receive a promotion that doubles the yield of the Great Work they create. (Promotion can't be earned twice, and Great Works created by Generals are picked randomly from the list of unwritten Great Works of Writing.)

It's a little lengthy, but if you think about it, most UA descriptions don't explain things like what's in parentheses, they either explain it elsewhere or they leave you to figure it out.

It's a little lengthy, but if you think about it, most UA descriptions don't explain things like what's in parentheses, they either explain it elsewhere or they leave you to figure it out.
That's very true and well worth bearing in mind.

However, these are still very fiddly abilities. Don't know anything about Afghanistan, but a UA that deals specifically with great writers is cool. Bonus faith from great literature is fine. The conflation of great generals and great generals seems like it could be represented a different way, but I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at.

The way I handle "border patrol" or "border skirmish" type units (like my poor, unused cacadores for Portugal) was to just grant a bonus within a couple of tiles of a civ's border.

For units that heal better in enemy territory (e.g guerilla units like Viet Minh), they can receive bonus health from pillaging.

What I'm getting at with the UA is that the Ghaznavids, Afghanistan's most distinguished dynasty, has a really strong tradition of Persian style writings. I wanted to combine that with the region's history of intense warfare. I originally wanted to create a Great Poet unit to replace Great Writers, but decided that wasn't a great idea and that I wanted two militaristic UUs. So, the UA I ended up with is where Great Generals and Writers share abilities, so you can have writers that give bonuses to your troops and can build citadels, and Generals that great Great Works of writing. The affect of this is that Afghanistan can be completely warlike, and end up with a lot of Great Works of writing, or be completely peaceful, and still have impressive defenses and stronger military units because the writers act as generals. But, if the writer/general witnesses a siege, their Great Work becomes more useful, because they have experienced great victories and it influences their writing. Does that make more sense?

The idea of the Turkish Raider is that they can move in fast, use an enhanced form of pillaging, and then be tough to remove because the tiles they pillaged give them combat bonuses. They also work as border patrol, but they're intended to be raiders. Forget about the healing better aspect of it. I can see though that their purpose might be confusing, what would your suggestions be to make it clearer?

I actually didn't even think about the defensive bonuses, probably because mounted units don't usually get them. That's an idea. But yeah, I'm just still not sure about that raider, or the double yields promotion, but each of them for different reasons. They both sound good paper, but they're both kind of underwhelming. Then again, I've posted units in here that got a small bonus to something they're already good at.

In my mind, the double yields promotion has sort have become a supporting bonus, with the main focus of the UA being the writer generals. Originally, I was going to have the promotion be that Great Writers could produce two great works if they witnessed a successful siege, but I realized that wouldn't really work, so I just decided to double the yields, which is really all that two great works does. I've sort of considered eliminating the extra faith from Great Works part of it at this point, because it doesn't really fit with the rest of it. I think that since the Turkish Raider seems to be problematic, I'm just going to re-write it.

UU: Turkish Raider. Replaces horseman. Receives a promotion that whenever it pillages a tile, there's a 50% chance that the nearest enemy city's population will decrease by one and you will gain 50 gold. Has two extra movement points.

Now that is pretty powerful. I want to say it's overpowered, but I can't help but compare it to the hun's faster razing and it makes me think that maybe it's not. I don't know. I kind of like it.

Some folks have been disappointed when they heard Dennis Shirk mentioned that Canada and Australia went on the chopping block (in favor of Brazil). Let's see if we can't stir that a pot bit more.

WARNING: The following civ contains content that some viewers might find offensive. It offers no unique buildings or unique tile improvements. There are no :c5gold: or :c5culture: or :c5faith: or :c5happy: icons to be found herein. Viewers should exercise discretion.

If you really need a little symbol to be happy, here you go: ;)

CANADA
Leader: John MacDonald
Capital: Ottawa
Unique Ability: Multilateral Commitment. Receive 50% more :c5influence: influence for completing the quests of friendly and neutral city-states. A pledge of protection increase a city-state's :c5influence: influence resting point by 10 (instead of 5).
Unique Unit: Dragoon.
Requires Military Science. Replaces Cavalry.
Production: 225 :c5production:
Strength: 34 :c5strength:
Movement: 4 :c5moves:
Requires 1 horse.
+1 sight.
+15% :c5strength: combat strength against units that are outside of their own territory.
Unique Unit: Van Doo.
Requires Rifling. Replaces Rifleman.
Cost: 225 :c5production:
Strength: 34 :c5strength:
Moves: 2 :c5moves:
Receives +15% :c5strength: combat strength against the units of a civilization that has earned a diplomatic penalty for warmongering or bullying.

WANNABE DEV DIARY
Facetiousness aside, this civ is about one particular yield icon, namely :c5influence: influence, which can lead to many other yield icons flowing the players' way, not to mention victory. Historically, Canada has occupied a major role on the international stage as a major supporter of multilateralism. For most of the UN's history, Canada supplied more personnel to peacekeeping missions than any other nation. It seems quite logical that Canada would have a place in Civ as a protector and advocate of peaceful powers. Since friendly CS's tend to offer purely peaceful quests, Canada specializes in fulfilling those.

Both unique units come at the industrial era, when ideologies take center stage, and essentially would give the player the tools to much about in BNW's abundance of great war era conflicts. Generally, one should be leary of civ's that offer UU's in the same era, since you can only produce so much of a unit before it's obsolesced, but cavalry and great war infantry are both reasonably distant on the tech tree. Their bonuses are geared towards their role of fighting belligerent civ's, being they invaders of your land or someone else's.

A lot of folks think Canada should have the mounties as a unit, but of course they are a law enforcement branch, not military. However, they are granted the status of a dragoon unit in times of war, so we can all be at peace knowing they are represented in some capacity.

For me, I focused on it being far more powerful on defense than offense, since it is historically called the graveyard of empires, I also tried to stay away from the Mujahideen, since the current political climate really will not permit the success of a game in which you can use the Mujahideen, and the term is also kind of offensive to be used this way, since it just means 'On a Jihad' which isn't a bad thing, just with a bad rap as of late ahah, also, the Mujahideen in Afghanistan at the moment have so little to do with the Afghanistan that curbed the Marathas, defied the Persians and fought off 2 of the powerful empires in Europe, ending 'the great game', they represent a broken shadow of a nation, unable to control its citizens and wracked by misdirected and violent religious zealots. It would be like having Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as leader of the achaeminid empire. (not to mention the fact that the mujahideen have no affiliation with the Afghan government, unlike every other UU ever.)

AFGHANISTAN.
Spoiler :
Capital:Kabul
Leader:Mir Wais Hotak
Start Bias: Desert/Hills
UA: Graveyard of Empires- Units cost 75% maintenance when within 2 tiles of a SETTLED afghan city. Start a 10 turn Golden Age when retaking ones own cities.
UU: Putt-Spahi-
Cost: 110 :c5production:
Strength: 22 :c5strength:
Moves: 2 :c5moves:
Meaning Concealed Soldier in Pashtu, the Putt-Spahi is a musketman replacement that goes invisible, similar to a submarine, when adjacent to mountains, invisibility does not work if adjacent to another unit (even other putt-spahis), also similar to the submarine. Cheaper to produce than riflemen and start with Drill I. No movement cost in Hills, but -2 combat strength and gain experience 25% slower though, to represent the fact that these soldiers are naturally gifted from their lifestyle, but not as professional as others. All promotions carry over when upgraded.
UB: Kitabat- Famous for their poetry and writing skill despite low literacy and many social problems, the Kitabat is a replacement for the Amphitheater, but is available at writing, instead of drama and poetry. Also, the Kitabat gains +1 GW points for every Civ at war with Afghanistan, provided they were the aggressor.
Non BNW UB: Kitabat- Basically the same as above but gains points towards a GA instead of GW and has +1 culture compared to the regular Amphitheater.

Overall, Afghanistan is most suited towards a cultural victory, sitting in a corner, isolated, working on a very unique culture while countless enemies attempt to thwart its ambitions, all meeting their doom one by one. It also works this way in my idea for Civ :lol: Seriously though, it has some nice potential for being fun to play, and also a real pain in the arse to play against, while also, most importantly, veering away from the stereotypes we see today in the media, to give it a non warmongering preferred VC, which, when you think about it, doesn't really make a lot of sense given Afghanistan's incredibly defensive history, and only a few offensive wars.

So yeah, I noticed you guys had some cool ideas for an Afghan civ, but just thought I'd put that up, what do you think? Anyway, I mentioned an Omani Civ design, and I shall deliver, here we are:

THE OMANI SULTANATE
Spoiler :
Capital: Muscat
Leader: Said and Salim Bin Sultan, a dual leaderscreen would be awesome, have the two argue or conspire with each other before arriving at an answer, if that's too resource intensive for Firaxis, just Said would be fine too.
Start Bias: Coastal
UA: Gulf of Riches- Sea resources provide +1 Gold in international trade routes, gain +1 influence per turn with city states you are have a trade route with.
Non BNW UA: Gulf of Riches- Harbors increase City connection gold by 33%, pearl resources provide double quantity and +2 happiness for Sea luxuries.
UU: Dhow-
Cost: 130 :c5production:
Strength: 17 :c5strength:
Moves: 4 :c5moves:
Replaces Caravel, -3 Combat Strength but may establish a ten turn trade route with any Civ for 25% less gold, can only be done once per Dhow, may also do this for food, but not production, to stop people from spamming Dhows and then mass sending production to finish wonders in like 3 turns. Would decide on the value of the route based on the city it was built in, but doesn't gain the extra gold from sea resources, as in the UA. Distance is reduced but this doesn't really matter, as you can simply park your dhow a few tiles from the city you wish to trade from, as distance is worked out from the Dhow itself, not the city it was built in. half the maintenance cost.
Non BNW UU: Dhow- Replaces Caravel, has +1 movement and gains +10 experience per sea resource worked by the city it is created in.
UB: Hasan Al-Bahr-Replaces the Castle, but may only be built in coastal cities, does not raise city health as much, but allows the city to make one additional international sea trade route, with a reduced range and half the gold. This trade route is tied to the Hasan, and so cannot change its home city, it also can't perform internal trade routes.
Non BNW UB: Hasan Al-Bahr- Replaces the Castle, but may only be built in coastal cities, luxury sea resources in this city yield +1 gold, +25% production of fishing boats and +10% for naval units.

Obviously a very powerful gold making civ, a la BNWs Venice, but only as potent if working on the sea, expect to hug the coast when playing as Oman, and you may end up with that characteristic shape the empire took in real life, running along the coasts from Iran to Kenya. Even without the huge trade bonuses if you don't have BNW, Oman will still allow the player to swim in gold, with its harbors and castles maximizing the amount of cash it can bring in from luxurious, metropolitan coastal cities.

Awesome and Phaethon, I've been planning an Afghan Civ for a while, actually came here to propose it alongside an Omani Civ before I saw you guys discussing it. :lol:

For me, I focused on it being far more powerful on defense than offense, since it is historically called the graveyard of empires, I also tried to stay away from the Mujahideen, since the current political climate really will not permit the success of a game in which you can use the Mujahideen, and the term is also kind of offensive to be used this way, since it just means 'On a Jihad' which isn't a bad thing, just with a bad rap as of late ahah.
You guys make Afghanistan sound interesting. Don't know much about it, although it sounds like a very terrain-focused civilization, oriented around deserts and hills.

I don't know that a UA that rewards you for recapturing cities would make for a fun civ to play. Would you purposefully invite attacks just to recapture your city? I might, as it's too strong to just give away a 10-turn golden age.

But the part about culture and great writers works well.

Your stealth UU is very like one I was thinking of for Vietnam (and used previously for Portugal's cacedores), but I guess there are plenty of parallels that could be drawn between those two.

You guys make Afghanistan sound interesting. Don't know much about it, although it sounds like a very terrain-focused civilization, oriented around deserts and hills.

I don't know that a UA that rewards you for recapturing cities would make for a fun civ to play. Would you purposefully invite attacks just to recapture your city? I might, as it's too strong to just give away a 10-turn golden age.

But the part about culture and great writers works well.

Your stealth UU is very like one I was thinking of for Vietnam (and used previously for Portugal's cacedores), but I guess there are plenty of parallels that could be drawn between those two.

Yeah, the recapturing cities thing is very situational, which is why I stuck in the mountains bit, that's really the main part of the UA, probably should have put that first, it's not really a mechanic that your gameplay would be devised around, just a little bonus for being trampled on to get you back on track, I could add more though, if you think the UA is a little UP in that regard. However, the UU and UB are very strong, so if I beefed it out too much, it might become a really OP civ. I was thinking of an idea where units have only 25% maintenance if within 2 tiles of an afghan SETTLED city, to encourage defensive play, and maintain gold, this could be added to the UU in lieu of some of the hills bonuses, and add 'No movement cost in hills' to the UA, or I could add that to the UA instead of the bonus for retaking cities. God, its all very complicated, balancing it out, though I'd still love to see it... I should learn to mod eh. :lol:

Carthage already has the mountains thing as a minor part of its ua.
Maybe the two afghanistan ideas could be combined somehow? The putt-spahi is fine as is, but maybe the kitabat could be what gives faith to great works of writing and then the ability could be to get more great writers?

I like your UB Kitabat idea, but can I suggest something? Instead of replacing the writer's guild, you could have it replace the amphitheater, by available at writing, but the main ability is that each Kitabat increases the number of Great Writer points in the city with the Writer's guild by however many civs are at war with you. So, if you have two Kitabats and you're at war with a single civ, your Writer's Guild produces an additional 2 Great Writer points. That way you're encouraged to build lot's of them, rather than just one. To make note of your comments on the Mujahideen, I think you're generally right and the name should be changed. But, I do like a more aggressive Afghani civ because throughout history they've been too unsuccessful defensively to really deserve to be a defensive civ.ven

And why would you give someone a unique wonder anyway? I didn't even notice that earlier. Just replace the library or something.

Assuming and hoping the devs do another DLC run after BNW that would include 7 civs to make it a nice round 50, I would like to see:
- The Khmers
- The Muisca
- The Sioux
- The Inuits
- The Kongo
- Vietnam
- Afghanistan

I prefer Pakistan instead of Afghanistan, and the Olmecs in place of the Inuits

and adds to Romania and Canada

But I find it hard to launch new DLC

Top Bottom