Sri Lanka 2: A Tamil Narrative (not an OCC) for RFC DoC

oh... so no brave new world for the tamil...ians?:lol:

Government Reports, Part 6: Omens of War

Compiled and edited by Adiyaman, Chief Secretary and General Assistant to the Emperor, and Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, dated to 900 AD.

The empire's population continued to grow as the empire reached 2,000,000 people.

A new civilization was met, the Indonesians, and Open Borders were secured with them.

Many imperial scholars wished to compile a massive work of libraries across the empire, and while [Rajendra] was a patron of science, he was too busy building up the military to give any support or funds.

A Great Merchant, Todar Mal, was born, and he settled down in Anuradhapura and made fortunes off of investing in new types of machinery.

In the west, the exploring Dharani met the Arabians, a powerful new empire following a new religion known as Islam.

New trade deals were secured with Tang Taizong, the Emperor of the new Chinese Tang dynasty.

Exploring naval vessels met the new civilization of Japan.

The emperor himself suddenly ordered nearly all military to assemble and go all the way over to Indonesia, and the emperor's megalomaniac plans suddenly became clear...

End of report.

good update :clap:

looks like mr.random is 20 years ahead of the curve(he attacked on 980 ad)

Buddha would be proud.

break the candis and scrap the stupas
that's what Srivijaya hates!
-King Siddhartha of India, singing with Emperor Justinian

I will provide a non-gameplay narrative of this war at some point, but right now, I am plagued with writer's block and hopefully something will come to me in a week or two. So for now, it is only gameplay updates.

Government Reports, Part 7: the Tamil-Indonesian War

The emperor had always had massive ambitions for an empire as grand as China's or Arabia's, but all of his advisers thought the move for Srivijaya was bold. However, they proved to be ill-equipped and poorly defended, and thus, the siege of Palembang began.

Meanwhile, in India, wartime prompted more government law enforcement buildings.

After some bombardment and a suicide Catapult attack, the odds were looking favorable, so the emperor ordered an attack.

With that, Palembang, the capital of the Indonesian kingdom, fell to the empire's forces.

To prevent support from getting through while Tamil forces rested, the Tamil navy of Dharanis thrashed the primitive Indonesian fleet of galleys. Many units in the Tamil army and navy received various promotions.

The Tamil forces that had lost fewer men captured civilian workers and began to besiege Sundapura.

Tamil scientists made several breakthroughs in military engineering during that time.

When Indonesian wartime measures became increasingly harsh in favor of rich landlords, Indonesian peasants, partially supported by Tamil spies, revolted and let the Tamil army easily take the city.Quick disclaimer: I didn't actually use any espionage for that, I just got extremely luck with a peasant revolt event.

With Java under Tamil control, the rest of the Indonesian navy was destroyed by galleys. However, the last major Indonesian city, Tumasik, had properly fortified itself during the time that Palembang and Sundapura fell. As a result, a peace treaty was made which resulted in the Indonesian rump state becoming a protectorate of the Tamil empire. Anuradhapura was starting to develop from a small kingdom into a true empire.

End of report.

My computer is having problems turning on, so no gameplay updates for a few days. Sorry!

same here, i accidently dropped my civ 4 disk when i took it out to clean it, i could play civ 4 on steam, but steam is all like "we hate you, and want all your games to instantly crash!"

luckily, i still have my civ 3 disk after all this years :D

so essentially no updates from me for a while (scratch that, i just remembered my india story was an AAR)

You are safe, until the Dutch and maybe the Mughals.

I owe all of you an update. However, RL is starting to kick in, so my updates will be slower. However, the reason why I stopped updating this for a while is that I hit SEVERE writer's block. The good news is that over the next two weeks, I will have some spare time without Internet, and then when school starts up, I will be taking a creative writing class. So for now, I am just going to do gameplay updates until I start writing again, and to celebrate my 700th post, I will give an extra long update to this story!

Sincerely,

mrrandomplayer

Without further ado...

Government Reports, Part 8: Normalization

Compiled by Adiyaman, Secretary and Chief General Assistant to the Emperor, and Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, dated to 1230 AD.

After the war with Indonesia, the empire slowly returned to normal. The troops rested and recovered, and relations with Indonesia recovered.

There was a flourishing of Tamil literature at the time relating to the war, and some suggested a new, feudal lifestyle.

Work begun on a Great Library in Anuradhapura to compile all of the new books that were being published.

Not everything was good for the empire. A political marriage intended to bring two important families from Anuradhapura and Indonesia, respectively, ended in a complete failure, and it brought negative consequences between the two nations.

The population of the empire reached 5 million, a new record for the time.

Tamil dharanis met the newly resurrected civilization of Egypt.

Pala arsonists destroyed the Forge in Mumbai. The government would've rebuilt it, but financial problems took precedence, the only action the government took was to investigate the fire.

Later on, guilds became more and more prominent in everyday life, and society gradually became more and more urbanized.

A new power in northern India known as the Mughals came to power in 1210, spelling doom for the Pala Empire and ancient Indian civilization. They introduced Islam to the subcontinent where there had only been Buddhism and Hinduism before.

In 1230, the Great Library was completed, housing the largest collection of books and employing the largest number of Scientists in the world at the time.

End of report.

i hope you can survive the mughals

anyhoo, good update:D

Sorry about the delay and lack of flavor updates. 12-hour time difference jetlag and starting high school a week late do not exactly go together. Hopefully, my creative writing class will help me break my writer's block and I will be able to dive back into the story.

All the best,

mrrandomplayer

Government Reports, Part 9: Exploration

Compiled by Adiyaman, Secretary and Chief General Assistant to the Emperor, and Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, dated to 1370 AD.

In the year 1290 AD, new Optical naval technologies were discovered. However, Dharanis were already exploring up the Atlantic Coast of Africa at that time.

Several new civilizations were met in Africa and Iberia, and trade deals were secured with some of them.

While the few uncivilized tribes still in Tamil Nadu were mostly peaceful, there was a rare uprising, which was at first a cause of alarm amongst the residents of Kachnipuram.

Meanwhile, in Anuradhapura, a Great Scientist, Bhaskara, was born, and he founded the 1st Imperial Academy in Anuradhapura.

The Barbarian swordsmen were no match for the ever-vigilant defenders of Kachnipuram and were soundly defeated.

The emperor sent an emissary to the Genghis Khan, leader of the nightmarishly powerful Mongol Empire. Fortunately, the Mongol Empire was too far away from Anuradhapura to be any real threat.

The most important invention of the 14th century was the gun, a completely new type of weapon. Some claimed the Chinese were first to discover gunpowder, but most have denied that.

End of report.

Do you plan on uniting India?

Nope!

Okay, my gameplay was actually pretty sloppy this game. Being probably the most peaceful player on S and T, I was too busy building wonders and infrastructure to get a large army together to take on India's large army in the north. Maybe if I was as aggressive (and good) as someone like Tomorrow's Dawn, I would be able to kill India, but now you all know that I'm a lazy, peaceful player.

War Memoirs: A Collection of Firsthand Accounts of the Tamil-Indonesian War, Part 1

Note that these will follow a different character each time.

Generously donated to the Imperial Archives in 1356 by an anonymous descendant of Chiyavaman, Captain of the 1st Crossbow Division

I had always been skeptical of the need for a military buildup. It was obvious that there were many wars going on at the time, but our defensive forces were sufficient, especially with the new crossbows, but I guess it was better safe than sorry. The Guptas would surely not invade us when facing war from Persia, the Khmer and Indonesians were no threat, and China, Korea, and Japan were too far away. So for a while, I just continued on with my daily life and tried to ignore the growing military attitude of the government.

However, inevitably, I was conscripted into the army. I guess was lucky enough to be put into the crossbow unit rather than the spearmen, axemen, or catapult units. I'm pretty sure that part of it was from my family ties. However, I'm guessing that most of it was because of my score in the aptitude test.

I remember first being given a spear. I was then told to stab at various targets and practice dummies. I hit at the right places, but in hindsight, I don't think I had the muscle strength to thrust with enough force. I was then given a sword and told to hack at, slash, and stab the various dummies. I think I did slightly better, but I don't think that I had the right muscular build to properly use either.
I also didn't qualify for catapult service because I didn't know nearly enough about mathematics to utilize the catapults well. Lastly, I was given a crossbow and told to hit various targets from varying distances and angles. I hit nearly all of them in the bulls-eye.

As a result of that, I became a captain of a new unit of crossbowmen. For a while, we were just garrisoned in Anuradhapura. However, the emperor suddenly ordered nearly the entire armed forces to assemble in Kachnipuram. The entire army then boarded a fleet of Dharanis and set sail eastward. We were not informed of our destination until the night before we landed. That was the night that the emperor himself told us that we were invading Indonesia.

I remember the speech he gave as clearly as the ocean was that night. It was a stirring, evocative speech, worthy of an emperor's glory. He described how Indonesia had made several insults to Anuradhapura's honor, and how we needed to show our might to the rest of the world and teach Indonesia a lesson. The speech had some very good points, but the speech and the war seemed to be to just be a veil for the government imperialism. Genuine or not, this speech raised morale to extremely high levels and made the first siege much easier.

The day that we landed was a day of glory but just as much a day of dread. The climate was surprisingly similar to that of Sri Lanka, but even wetter and warmer. The first day, we were able to set up camp successfully and make a campfire, and our location was protected but relatively close to Palembang. The next few days, we sat around and waited while the catapults blew down the walls. Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, and with every passing day, fear and anxiety mounted up. 5 months after we landed, the first major assault began.

We were told to saddle up, get our bows and swords, and begin attacking the city. As we approached Palembang, our hearts were fearful. Then, the Crossbowmen were chosen for one of the first few assaults.

As we climbed up the siege ladders and charged into the city, the situation was getting increasingly chaotic. The city was a hellish inferno as many soldiers were fighting and running from the flames as much as each other. I managed to find a defendable position inside of a building and my squad shot most people that came by. This way, we contributed greatly to the victory but also didn't get hurt.

The worst parts of the fighting were the short lulls in between waves of reinforcements, where everything was deadly quiet and we were paranoid of being ambushed or mobbed. Eventually, Palembang was captured, but the traumatic and horrible memories of war never disappeared.

Top Bottom