CivRev 2 pet peeves

Shadowhal

Warlord
I know that - between the new so-called Civ mobile and Civ VI on pretty much all devices - the chances of getting a successor or even patches are somewhere between slim and non-existent, but I still think there is room for a more condensed Civ experience. (And no, micro-transaction-riddled garbage doesn't count). Civ Rev and 2 actually did a lot of things right, so it was frustrating that with a few minor tweaks it could have been so much better. So, here is my humble change request:

1. Interface and transparency: there must be several statistics somewhere in the background of the game that it never displays transparently. Chief offender here for me is culture. What is the accumulated culture of my city? When can I expect the next great person? How do I compare to other civilizations? How much more culture would I need to flip an opponent city? Are my cities are risk of flipping? The information must be there and it looks like Civ Rev on consoles showed this, so I found it frustrating that there is no way (that I know of) to find this in part 2. It applies to a lesser extent to other information too, e.g. competitor information, economic victory goal posts.
2. The other low-ish hanging fruit would be more game set-up options. Different world shapes, e.g. pangea, inland lakes, dryland, etc. I appreciate not all of these will be practical due to how the game is built, but certainly there could have been more variety. Even Polytopia now does this. The other aspect to this would be world size. Again, probably the nature of the game means that mechanics might break down with particularly large or small worlds, e.g. how long it takes to get from one side of the world to the other and options to speed up movement. But surely a bit bigger would be possible without breaking things.
3. At least on Android, I'd want an option to de-select a unit. Too many times I sent a wrong movement order because I was just panning the camera around and investigating tiles, not realising I had a unit selected. I don't think you can ever not have something selected. Civ VI on Android did this much better much dragging units to their destinations.
4. A classic Civ topic: AI. Actually, some posters said that the AI in Civ Rev 2 is worse than Civ Rev 1, some behaviours were missing or glitched. Which is odd, given that the two games are very similar.

For a true successor, beefed-up diplomacy and AI personalities would be nice, as would updated graphics.

But yeah, not gonna happen. If only they'd release the source code so an interested community might make some targeted fixes.

Any thoughts on your pet peeves? Anyone else thinking a Civ Rev 3 would be desirable?

Top Bottom