FFH -- We don't betray or kill all of our allies

Go ahead, if you want :) I think I'll have some time tonight to start on the global reinstallation project.

k, I will play a couple of turns tonight. time to set sail towards evermore.

Played a couple of more turns. Our army has sighted the shores of the Ljosalfar continent. They sent one galleon our way.

Played two more turns.

Got to Evermore. Have not captured it yet but stole a Paladin and a flurry. Killed a could of galleons coming to land somewhere.

I got interupted so I have not finished this turn. Should just kill more units in Evermore and land with our entire army next turn. No chance we will ever loose it again and it will act as a magnet for all ljosalfar armies.

Attachments

• Faeryl Viconia AD-0363.CivBeyondSwordSave
    486.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Civ4ScreenShot0077.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0077.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Civ4ScreenShot0079.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0079.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 234
  • Civ4ScreenShot0078.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0078.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 241
We could also just opt to take it on the turn before the ToM completes so I don't think that's a very big deal. Well done :)

Folket, do you plan on playing more turns before leaving for holiday or shall I finish the game?

I was pretty much waiting for you to finish it. If you do not want to get 2.42 installed again I can spend some time ending the game.

No, I already reinstalled everything. Was just waiting on you to finish that interrupted turn. I will then wrap up the game while you're away. Have a nice holiday :)

Still some unfinished business on this forum...

Sorry, Folket, it took a lot longer than expected. SGOTM did eat up all of my gaming time and more in autumn, and in the last few weeks I didn't feel like playing anything remotely civ4 related (just switched jobs too, didn't have much time either). Anyway, better late than never, here's the win:

We start off on T363, with the four towers already built, and part of our army gathered at Evermore... (er.. this looks a bit more like hit and stay instead of hit and run, and it could have ended ugly if the AI had the right spells, but they just didn't).
Spoiler :

So anyway, we cross our fingers and continue the attack.

If all of our cities started to build wealth at that turn we could have rush bought the ToM in 40 turns (costs about 23000 :gold: with 1T in). This meant we were better off using hammers also, therefore Nameless Tower needed a Forge just for the ToM and we also needed some basic defense against Garrim who would declare on us as soon as we start on it (we didn't get lucky and the Ljosies never declared on him again). Unfortunately switching to RoK was out of question. I had to switch back to FotL and GoN to get some :) in, WW was getting really bad, and there was just no point in starving down fully cottaged cities.

I briefly considered abandoning the island cities but they were much too good, even without a CH (is City States broken or what?)
Spoiler :

Most of these buildings wouldn't have ever paid off, even with building wealth severely nerfed (you should really stop building all those monuments, Folket, they are even worse than in BtS costing 60 :hammers:).
Spoiler :

Kept the gold buildings we already invested in except for the Bazaar which would have taken much too long, built some markets in cities that could finish them early enough. Otherwise just built wealth (default rush buying ratio is 1 :hammers: = 6 :gold: :eek:)

Thought about starving down a city to possibly get another GA, but the only two cities with enough GPps were Thariss and Gereth Minar, so I abandoned the idea. Not quite sure, might have been a bit faster, especially if I could have timed the religion and civic switch along with the GA, but since both these cities were generating plenty of gold, I didn't want to try. Just made a TM to Garrim with the merchant we got soon after.

Some highlights...

T364 before we can even retake Evermore, Amelanchier lands an army next to Straatus. Fortunately not a really big one and they can be easily held until reinforcements arrive.
Spoiler :

T365 Evermore retaken.
Spoiler :

Notable AI efforts to get the city back (there were plenty of those during the whole TS but they were less and less meaningful):

T369 Basium:
Spoiler :

T371 Arendel:
Spoiler :

Started building the ToM on T373 so Garrim declared next turn, however it was Arendel who we had to defend our virtually empty city from first...
Spoiler :

T376 The rest of Basium's army doomed to die...
Spoiler :

T378 And Garrim goes for a variation and instead of attacking our island cities sails over to harass us...
Spoiler :

T380 Amelanchier had a go at Evermore as well, without any more Paladins apparently...
Spoiler :

T388 Finally we can hurry the ToM (in fact with the help of two SoKs captured from Garrim, he really should have had more of those...)
Spoiler :

T389 Score is ridiculous but oh well, it's the one we don't call by na
Spoiler :

T389 and the win with a meaningless event (interestingly there were no others during this last TS).
Spoiler :

Facits:
As for MNAI we already discussed some problems in the thread, and some of those had already been addressed in the new version. Also, I really like some war tactics of the AI, not getting next to a city with a living army with archmagi inside capable of Domination, but instead plant an angel army next to Evermore, that was quite clever. I guess there's still some work to do on the mana selection. Our army should have been dead before Evermore could be taken with the ships under them burned away mercilessly. They did use the spells they had, they just didn't have the ones they really needed at that point.

Er... and I should mention that the Ljosies could have won this game ~200 turns ago.

As already said I was quite surprised how fantastic City States turned out to be. It would be interesting to compare the commerce output with a TR economy with TGL and City States vs aristofarms with a non-cottage civ. Right, Aristocracy also reduces maintenance, but not to that extent.

Still no idea which map would be the most ideal for the Grand Menagerie. I guess tropical is a given but definitely no Pangea-types or continents. Islands are usually too small for gorillas to spawn on. Maybe archipelago with the Doviello added as opponents to secure the wolf?

Well, all in all the game is won [party]

Attachments

• Faeryl Viconia AD-0389_final.CivBeyondSwordSave
    548 KB · Views: 208
Well done.

I hope you also saw the power of domination and tower of alternation. Infinite Paladins!! =)

Yep, although both archmagi lost the ability to dominate relatively soon (Hemah of course abandoned us, when I switched back to FotL). I could restore one promo but not the other. Had to kill lots of Paladins :sad: Still, with the Swarts it's definitely good play. Third level summons aren't half as devastating as illusions.

Well, if you continue to build mages you just disband the archmages that can't take the domination promotion again and replace them.

Well, if you continue to build mages you just disband the archmages that can't take the domination promotion again and replace them.
Sure, but an archmage promo is pretty costly, besides you also need to move the unit to the front, which eats up turns. Normally I would create four liches too, so I'd prioritize Death III first for archmagi, anything else comes second.

Top Bottom