Improvement Ideas and Discussion

New look for improvments:
- Desert Wind Mill
- Sea Wind Mill
- Tree Farm
- Hybrid Forest
- Goody Island

Desert & Sea Windmills look great.
Tree Farm: you're using the habitat model for this. This really isn't the look I would imagine for this at all. In fact by the time I'm done with improvements the tech this can get built at might be slightly earlier. This should not have a futuristic look.

Hybrid Forest: somewhat of the same issue above, but you may be able to get away with the future look since the tech requires are alot further out. I don't really know what I am going to do with this improvement ter though, or even if it will still exist.

Goody Island looks great.

Next time though please post screenshots in advance.

Other Improvement graphical suggestions:
Abatis, Fortified Cave, Fortified Cave w/ Cache, and Palisade all share the same graphics as the Fort. They could use some unique textures at the minimum, or altered models where possible. (The cave fortifications especially, while considering the location of the caves in the cave feature graphics itself.)

Stone and Steel Watchtower are exactly the same, Steel ought to at least have a retexture. The same is true for Radar and Listening node.

It may not be possible at the moment, but it would be nice to have alternate graphics and models for several improvements that can appear on Peaks, one's designed with the idea that they will explicitly be appearing on peaks on not elsewhere, and can thus take the proper Z values into consideration. This mostly affects Mines and Quarries. I have been considering splitting off mountain versions of the mines and quarries just to enable having different yield and tech requirements for them.

Marine Preserve could use a different graphic, just a ring of buoys ought to suffice.

Forestry Chain Ideas:

Wood Gatherer: Mostly as is, small bonus hammers but does not upgrade into anything, does not deplete the forest/jungle.

Lumber Camp: Good Hammer production, but 'upgrades' into a clear-cut forest. So when the new improvement triggers, it causes the forest (and itself) to get deleted.

Lumbermill: Best Hammer production, but upgrades (at a faster rate) into a clear-cut forest.

Clear-Cut Forest: The opposite of Plant Forest in function, causes the forest/jungle to disappear, which causes itself to also disappear, as soon as it is built. You can only "build" it via upgrade.

Treefarm: Available at wildlife conservation. Medium Hammer production, does not kill the forest.
better than wood gatherer, perhaps equal to lumber camp in bonus hammer, but gives less hammers than Lumbermill.

Advantages and disadvantages over worker based vs improvement based clear-cutting.
Workers, used in mass can do it much faster, but only adds all the hammers all at once when they are done.
Improvement based clear-cutting, frees up your workers to do something else, but it takes longer, and spreads the hammer gain out over across many turn rather than getting it in a lump sum.

Can we teach the AI how to use these properly and not automatically choose clear-cut improvement over treefarm improvements? Of course in the RL we are still having trouble getting many countries to not clearcut everything.. so maybe this is somewhat realistic.

Hybrid Forests:
I haven't decided what to do with these yet, if anything they'll be improved Tree Farms.

I am having a bit of problem with that python at the moment.

Having the 'clear cut' is a bit of a problem at the moment because you don't get :hammers: from chopping until about iron working so clear cut wont give you anything.

Originally the AI would chop and hence increase its disease and generally destroy its cities.

Tree and forest conservation go back to the Medieval era in Europe where the foresters protected the trees and the 'hook or by crook' law was introduced where you could only take timber for fires if you could break the branch using a pruner's hook or a shepherd's crook.

I am having a bit of problem with that python at the moment.

Having the 'clear cut' is a bit of a problem at the moment because you don't get :hammers: from chopping until about iron working so clear cut wont give you anything.

Originally the AI would chop and hence increase its disease and generally destroy its cities.

Tree and forest conservation go back to the Medieval era in Europe where the foresters protected the trees and the 'hook or by crook' law was introduced where you could only take timber for fires if you could break the branch using a pruner's hook or a shepherd's crook.

From a coding/game mechanics point of view, the "Clear Cut" improvement itself would not give hammers anyway, so that is not an issue, all it is supposed to do is forcibly remove the feature via python. The hammers you obtained was all the worker production per turn for having a city worker assigned to it. So for example if lumber camp gave you 4 hammers per turn and it upgrade in to a "clear cut" in 30 turns then you obtain 120 hammers in total, 4 per turn until the forest disappeared by 'upgrading' into a "clear-cut" improvement which deletes itself so you can build some other improvement on the tile.

Anyway its just an idea, I'm not going to implement it unless there is a real desire for it.

Well, while it IS realistic indeed, and I like the concept of it, there is the unecessary addiotion of micro management. Good players will build it and remove it the turn before the clear cut occours. But then you have to check every now and then 8or remember it9, which will seed unhappiniess amongst the players.
I think for the clear cut we already have the "chop forest" action for the workers (although it is nice to free up your workers with your suggested improvement).

I'd suggest this:
(all values are examples)
Workers that chop a Forest get 300 :hammers:

Lumberjack: +5 :hammers: per turn, can't be removed/destroyed except by a Treefarm. Depletes after 100 turns (=500 :hammers:)

Lumbermill: +8 :hammers: per turn, can't be removed/destryed except by a Treefarm.
Depletes after 75 turns (600 :hammers:)

Treefarm: +3 :hammers: per turn, never depletes.

Note that the Treefarm I suggest here is not the current one but the medival version DH was talking about.

In the long run, every resource (and Forest) could have a property value of how much Wood/Iron/Deer.... is there.

I object to forest depletion from these improvements. Forests that are not clear cut purposefully will recover. Even portions of forest being clearcut now and then will only make the forest healthier overall. And from a gameplay perspective it would just be incredibly irritating!

Tree Farm: you're using the habitat model for this. This really isn't the look I would imagine for this at all. In fact by the time I'm done with improvements the tech this can get built at might be slightly earlier. This should not have a futuristic look.

Hybrid Forest:

Could you send me pictures with some ideas about these improvments?

Does anyone actually have any saved games that got into the modern age enough to build Windtraps, Greenhouses, Solar Panels, and Core Mines?

I want to re purpose these improvements, mainly by reusing the art.

We need a set of off-world improvements, habitats are the only improvements that have lunar and martian terrain validity references.

I'd like to eliminate the 'windtrap' and the 'greenhouse' and use them instead for off planet colony buildings, "Colony Factory" and "Colony Greenhouse", Solar panels could have a duel use, or an additional off-planet only version of the improvement could be made.

Core Mine could simply be an off planet version of the standard mine/quarry. (although it could be duel use, I think the Modern mine can be enhanced enough w/ tech yields.

Could you send me pictures with some ideas about these improvments?

There is nothing special about them, they are just trees, in RL it would be hard to identify a treefarm apart from a regular forest. The building and fence from the standard forest preserve graphic isn't that bad of an idea.

Hmm maybe just keep the standard forest preserve graphic (building w/ fence) for treefarm. Instead change the Forest Preserve and Nature Preserve graphics. (which I'd like to merge anyway, so they just need one graphic) For them I would suggest no fence at all, just maybe a short wide sign toward the bottom (like you see when driving into a national park) and a ranger station like building/tower in the center. (maybe a retexured, roofed version of the wooden watch tower)

There is nothing special about them, they are just trees, in RL it would be hard to identify a treefarm apart from a regular forest. The building and fence from the standard forest preserve graphic isn't that bad of an idea.

Well there are some tree farms than are planted in rows to maximize space. Especially if it a Christmas tree farm.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5

Thus I would say they more resemble an Orchard than a Forest.

Well there are some tree farms than are planted in rows to maximize space. Especially if it a Christmas tree farm.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5

Thus I would say they more resemble an Orchard than a Forest.

Tree farm is a bad description then. I am viewing them as a 'managed forest' (via modern forestry practices) as this improvement is intended to be the upgrade successor to the Lumbermill. However putting the trees all in neat rows would be fine. Also keep in mind, the underlying forest/jungle feature is not intended to be removed.

Thanks, though I was asking in more of a general sense to get an idea of how often, and how many of such past games existed, that want to be continued. This is due to considering save game compatibility in reference to proposing to change the function of those improvements.

From other thread..

Looking at the core mines in game I think they should be a bit smaller and possibly not possible to build on peaks because they don't look quite right. Plus if you really drilling to the core, starting from a peak seems like just more work.

They don't look right on hills either, just another reason I wanted to turn them into off planet mine improvement instead.

Extraterristic Planets and Moons have Hills and Mountains as well.

I know, although there is a different problem regarding hills and what would be our eventual 'off-planet' maps.

Any improvement, with the HillsMakesValid flag set to true would be buldable on the hills of ANY terrain type, including lunar and maritian ones where it makes no sense to have that improvement. It might be possible to set the TerrainValid flags to false to make exceptions for lunar and martian terrain, but I've not tested to see if it works that way. Even so, that will be a lot of tedious exceptions to include if it works.

Apart from soliciting feedback, I am not worried about pursuing space stuff with this first set of improvement changes.

I think you could also limit space stuff over the workers that can build it. You won't have normal workers on Moon nor Mars, so you can just disable the Lunar Worker to build improvements you don't like there.

Proposed Improvement Changes:
|:food:|:hammers:|:commerce:|Bonus Req.|Feature Req.|Req. Tech|Upgrades To|Category||Notes
Beacon |||||Y|Sailing, Masonry|A Lighthouse|Marine||
A Lighthouse |||||Y|Engineering||Marine||
Marine Preserve |||3||Y|Tourism||Marine||
Scavenging Camp ||||Y||Scavenging||Hunting||
Hunting Camp ||||Y||Hunting|Hunting Preserve|||Formerly named Camp
--Hunting Tactics|1|||||||||
Hunting Preserve ||||||Monarchy||Hunting||New Improvement
--Matchlock|||1|||||||
--Semi-Automatic Weapons|||1|||||||
--Artificial Evolution|2|||||||||
Wildlife Sanctuary ||||Y||Tourism||Hunting||Formerly named Safari
--Ecology|||1|||||||
--Ecological Engineering|||1|||||||
--Environmental Economics|||1|||||||
Cottage |||1|||Pottery|Hamlet|Towns||Culture 2, Range 0
--Masonry||1||||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
--City Planning|||1|||||||
Hamlet ||1|3|||City Planning|Village|Towns||Culture 4, Range 0
--Construction||1||||||||
--Civil Service|||1|||||||
Village ||2|4|||Civil Service|Town|Towns||Culture 6, Range 0
--Engineering||1||||||||
--Printing Press|||1|||||||
--Social Contract|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Town ||3|6|||Social Contract|Suburbs|Towns||Culture 8, Range 1
--Economics|||1|||||||
--Civil Engineering||1||||||||
--Mass Transit|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||2|||||||
Suburbs ||4|8|||Mass Transit||Towns||New Improvement, Culture 10, Range 1
--Consumerism|||1|||||||
--3D Printing|||1|||||||
--Organic Cities|1|||||||||
--Megastructure Engineering||1||||||||
--Max Routes|||2|||||||
Desert Camp |1||1|||Naturopathy||Camps||Needs Unique Button Graphic
--Sendentary Lifestyle|||1|||||||
--Medicine|||1|||||||
--Tourism|||1|||||||
--Wildlife Conservation|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Jungle Camp |1|1||||Naturopathy||Camps||
--Sendentary Lifestyle|1|||||||||
--Medicine|||1|||||||
--Tourism|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Wetlands Camp ||1|1|||Naturopathy||Camps||Needs Unique Button Graphic
--Sendentary Lifestyle||1||||||||
--Medicine|||1|||||||
--Tourism|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Seed Camp |1|||||Gathering|Farm|Farms||
Farm |1|||||Agriculture|Vertical Farm|Farms||
--Crop Rotation|1|||||||||
--Biology|1|||||||||
--Pesticides|1|||||||||
--Machine Tools|1|||||||||
--Gene Manipulation|1|||||||||
--Biofuels|||1|||||||
--Derivatives|||1|||||||
--Vertical Farming|1|||||||||
--Cloud Patterns|1|||||||||
--Irrigation|1|||||||||
--Plough|1|||||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Vertical Farm |15||3|||Vertical Farming||Farms||Formerly named Farmscraper
--Artificial Evolution|3||1|||||||
--Organic Cities|3||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Windmill |1||1|||Machinery|Modern Windmill|Power||
--Agricultural Tools|1|||||||||
--Replaceable Parts||1||||||||
--Electricity|-2|1|2|||||||
Modern Windmill ||2|4|||Ecology||Power||Formerly named Desert Windmill
--Wireless Electricity||1|1|||||||
--Weather Control||1|2|||||||
Sea Mill |||4|||Ecology||Power||
--Wireless Electricity|||2|||||||
--Weather Control|||2|||||||
Tidal Harness |-2|3|2|||Ecology||Power||
--Wireless Electricity||1|1|||||||
--Weather Control||1|1|||||||
Solar Panels ||3|3|||Solar Power||Power||
--Nanotechnology|||1|||||||
--Micromechanics|||1|||||||
--Wireless Electricity||1||||||||
--Fuel Cells|||1|||||||
--Rapid Prototyping|||1|||||||
--Environmental Economics||1|1|||||||
Watermill |1|1||||Machinery|Hydro Dam|Power||
--Agricultural Tools|1|||||||||
--Electricity|-2|1|2|||||||
Hydro Dam ||3|3|||Hydroelectricity||Power||
--Wireless Electricity|||1|||||||
--Environmental Economics||1|2|||||||
Offshore Platform ||||Y||Plastics|Extraction Facility|Marine Minerals||
--Globalization|||1|||||||
--Deep Sea Exploration||1||||||||
--Seismology||1|1|||||||
--Superstrong Alloys||1|1|||||||
Extraction Facility ||3|3|Y||Superstrong Alloys||Marine Minerals||
--Nanomining||1|1|||||||
--Teleportation||1||||||||
Submerged Town |1|1|1|||Marine Architecture||Other||
--DNA Computing|||1|||||||
--Teleportation||1|1|||||||
Workshop |-1|1||||Machinery|Factory|Production||Culture 1, Range 0
--Guilds||1|1|||||||
--Chemistry||1||||||||
--Assembly Line||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1||||||||
Factory |-2|5|1|||Assembly Line|Manufacturing Complex|Production||Culture 2, Range 0
--Organic Chemistry||1||||||||
--Industrialization||1||||||||
--Consumerism|||1|||||||
--Manufacturing||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1|1|||||||
Manufacturing Complex |-3|8|2|||Manufacturing||Production||Formerly named Industrial Complex, Culture 4, Range 0
--Robotics||1||||||||
--3D Printing||1||||||||
--Rapid Prototyping||1|1|||||||
--Superflous Manufacturing||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1|1|||||||
Tar Gatherer ||1|||Y|Adhesives|Hydrocarbon Well|Hydrocarbons||
--Ship building||1||||||||
--Geology||1||||||||
--Paleontology|||1|||||||
Hydrocarbon Well ||3|1||Y|Refining||Hydrocarbons||Formerly named Well
--Plastics|||1|||||||
--Seismology||1|1|||||||
--Nanomining||1|1|||||||
--Derivatives|||1|||||||
Groundwater Well ||||||Modern Seismology||Other||Adjusted to properly bridge irrigation gaps on terrain a farm can't be placed on
Fishing Boats ||||Y||Boat Fishing||Boats||
--Weather Lore|||1|||||||
--Weather Forecasting|1||1|||||||
--Sonar|1||1|||||||
--Aquaculture|1||1|||||||
--Artificial Evolution|1|||||||||
--Marine Biology|1|||||||||
Harvest Kelp |||1||Y|Marine Biology||Boats||
--Aquaculture|1||1|||||||
--Artificial Evolution|1|||||||||
Whaling Boats ||||Y||Harpoon Making|Whaling Ships|Boats||
Whaling Ships ||||Y||Commercial Whaling||Boats||
--Naval Cannon||1|1|||||||
--Corporation|||1|||||||
--Screw Propeller|1|1|1|||||||
--Marine Biology|1|||||||||
Fossil Dig Site |||2||Y|Paleontology||Other||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Archaological Site |||2||Y|Scientific Method||Other||Now buildable on Ruins Features
--Tourism|||2|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Fruit Gathering Camp ||||Y||Gathering|Fruit Picking Camp|Orchards||
--Barter|||1|||||||
Fruit Picking Camp ||||Y||Sedentary Lifestyle|Orchard|Orchards||
--Agriculture|1|||||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
Orchard ||||Y||Orchards||Orchards||
--Agriculture|1|||||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
--Currency|||1|||||||
--Pesticides|1||1|||||||
--Gene Manipulation|1|||||||||
Grape Gathering Camp ||||Y||Gathering|Grape Picking Camp|Wineries||
--Barter|||1|||||||
Grape Picking Camp ||||Y||Sedentary Lifestyle||Wineries||
--Agriculture|1|||||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
Winery ||||Y||Fermentation||Wineries||
--Agriculture|1|||||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
--Currency|||1|||||||
--Pesticides|1||1|||||||
--Gene Manipulation|||1|||||||
Plant Gathering Camp ||||Y||Gathering|Plant Picking Camp|Plantations||
--Barter|||1|||||||
Plant Picking Camp ||||Y||Sedentary Lifestyle||Plantations||
--Agriculture|||1|||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
Plantation ||||Y||Calendar||Plantations||
--Agriculture|||1|||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
--Spice Trade|||1|||||||
--Drug Trade|||1|||||||
--Pesticides|||1|||||||
--Vertical Farming|||1|||||||
--Derivatives|||1|||||||
Special Stone Workshop ||||Y||Hard-Hammer Percussion||Quarries||
--Microlith||1||||||||
Quarry ||2||||Masonry||Quarries||
--Geology||1||||||||
--Explosives||1||||||||
--Nitroglycerin||1||||||||
--Civil Engineering|||1|||||||
--Androids||1||||||||
---Max Routes||1||||||||
Stone Tools Workshop ||1||||Hard-Hammer Percussion||Mines||
--Microlith||1||||||||
Mine ||2||||Mining|Shaft Mine|Mines||
--Geology||1||||||||
--Iron Working||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1||||||||
Shaft Mine ||5||||Explosives, Geology||Mines||
--Steam Power||1||||||||
--Gas Lighting||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1||||||||
Modern Mine ||9|1|||Modern Seismology|Core Mine|Mines||
--Robotics||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1||||||||
Core Mine ||10|2|||Nanomining||Mines||
--Max Routes||1||||||||
Mountain Mine ||5||||Mountaineering||Mines||New Improvement. This Is the only improvement that will be valid on peaks. Need custom graphic made to look nice when on a peak. (like tunnels going into the mountain or something)
--Explosives||1||||||||
--Steam Power||1||||||||
--Gas Lighting||1||||||||
--Modern Sismology||1||||||||
--Robotics||1||||||||
--Nanomining||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1||||||||
Mushroom Gatherer |||1|Y||Gathering||Other||
--Agriculture|1|||||||||
--Barter|||1|||||||
--Trade|||1|||||||
--Fungiculture|1|||||||||
Nomadic Herd ||||Y||Canine Domestication|Pasture|Domesticates||
Pasture ||||Y||Animal Husbandry||Domesticates||
--Refridgeration|||1|||||||
--Gene Manipulation|1||1|||||||
--Artificial Evolution|1||1|||||||
--Barbed Wire||1|1|||||||
Peat Cutter ||3|1||Y|Iron Working||Other||
Thatch Cutter ||1|||Y|Sedentary Lifestyle||Other||
--Iron Working||1|1|||||||
Silk Farm ||||Y||Sericulture||Other||
--Currency|||1|||||||
--Mercantilism|||1|||||||
--Zoology|||1|||||||
--Plastic Electronics|||1|||||||
Tree Nursery ||2||||Guilds|Young Forest|Forest||
Young Forest ||2||||-|"Plant forest"|Forest||
Wood Gatherer ||1|||y|Woodworking|Lumber Camp|Timber||
Lumber Camp ||1|||y|Sedentary Lifestyle|Lumbermill|Timber||
--The Wheel||1||||||||
--Mathematics|||1|||||||
--Construction||1||||||||
Lumbermill ||3|1||y|Machinery|Treefarm|Timber||
--Guilds||1||||||||
--Steam Power||1||||||||
--Max Routes||1|1|||||||
Treefarm ||5|2||Y|Wildlife Conservation|Hybrid Forest|Timber||
--Ecology|||1|||||||
--Max Routes||1|1|||||||
Hybrid Forest |1|5|4||Y|Environmental Economics||Timber||
--Planetary Economics|||1|||||||
--Sentient Earth|1|||||||||
--Max Routes||1|1|||||||
Geoglyph |-1||1|||Stargazing||Culture||Needs to require South American Culture & other things to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Mathematics|||1|||||||
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Aesthetics|||1|||||||
--Geometry|||2|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Moai |-1||1|||Megalith Construction||Culture||Need to require Oceania Culture & other things to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Masonry|||1|||||||
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Aesthetics|||1|||||||
--Ancestor Worship|||1|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Mesoamerican Temple |-2||2|||Masonry||Culture||New Improvement. Needs to Require North American culture ,stone, etc.. to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Sundial|||1|||||||
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Aesthetics|||1|||||||
--Calendar|||1|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Stone Circle |-1||1|||Megalith Construction||Culture||New Improvement. Needs European culture, stone, etc. to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Stargazing|||1|||||||
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Aesthetics|||1|||||||
--Priesthood|||1|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Pyramids |-2||2|||Masonry||Culture||New Improvement. Needs African culture, stone, etc to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Aesthetics|||1|||||||
--Mummufication|||2|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Asian Temple |-2||2|||Masonry||Culture||New Improvement. Needs Asian culture, etc to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Polytheism|||1|||||||
--Meditation|||2|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Ziggarut |-2||2|||Masonry||Culture||New Improvement. Needs Middle Eastern culture, etc to build. Culture 2, Range 1
--Scriptures|||1|||||||
--Sculpture|||1|||||||
--Aesthetics|||1|||||||
--Code of Laws|||1|||||||
--Archaeology|||2|||||||
--Tourism|||2|||||||
Geothermal Energy Factory ||6||Y||Vulcanology||Obsolete?||Obsolete if Geothermal Resoure is removed.
--Planetary Economics|||2|||||||
Colony Habitat (Small) |||2|||Lunar Colonization|Habitat (Medium)|Off-Planet||Formerly named Habitat (Small)
--Lunar Manufacturing|||1|||||||
--Lunar Tourism|||1|||||||
Colony Habitat (Medium) |||3|||Lunar Manufacturing|Habitat (Large)|Off-Planet||Formerly named Habitat (Medium)
--Lunar Tourism|||1|||||||
--Orbital Flight|||1|||||||
--Organic Cities|1|||||||||
--Lunar Trade|||1|||||||
--Personal Robots||1||||||||
--Lunar Megastructures|||1|||||||
--Planet Colonization|||1|||||||
Colony Habitat (Large) |1|1|7|||Planetary Colonization|Habitat (Huge)|Off-Planet||Formerly named Habitat (Large)
--Lunar Megastructures|||1|||||||
--Planetary Manufacturing|||1|||||||
--Planetary Trade|||1|||||||
Colony Habitat (Huge) |1|1|9|||Planetary Manufacturing||Off-Planet||Formerly named Habitat (Huge)
--Planetary Trade|||1|||||||
--Planetary Megastructures|||1|||||||
--Interstellar Trade|||1|||||||
--Colony Arcology|||1|||||||
Colony Hydroponics |5|||||Lunar Colonization||Off-Planet||New Improvement. "Space Farm", uses greenhouse graphic
--Augment Consumables|1|||||||||
--Vertical Farming|1|||||||||
--Accelerated Germination|1|||||||||
--Environmental Economics|1||1|||||||
--Planetary Economics|1||1|||||||
--Botanical Alchemy|1|||||||||
--Artifical Evolution|2|||||||||
--Extraterrestrial Agriculture|2|||||||||
Colony Manufactory ||5||||Lunar Manufacturing||Off-Planet||New Improvement "Space Workshop/Factory" uses Windtrap graphic
--Superstrong Alloys||1||||||||
--Lunar Megastructures||1||||||||
--Megastructure Engineering||1||||||||
--Planetary Manufacturing||1||||||||
--Planetary Megastructures||1||||||||
Colony Extraction Facility ||6||||Lunar Colonization||Off-Planet||New Improvement. "Space Mine" uses Geothermal Borehole graphic
--Lunar Manufacturing||1||||||||
--Planetary Manufacturing||1||||||||
--Nanomining||2||||||||
--Superstrong Alloys||1||||||||
--Megastrong Alloys||1||||||||
Colony Solar Array ||5|5|||Lunar Colonization||Off-Planet||New Improvement. "Space Power" uses Solar Panel Graphic
--Environmental Economics||1|1|||||||
--Planetary Economics||1|1|||||||
Forest Preserve |||1||Y|Wildlife Conservation||Nature||Should become Obsolete, by way of being merged into the Nature Preserve Improvement.
--Ecology|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Nature Preserve |||3||Y|Wilflife Conservation||Nature||Code review/editing needed for checking feature growth function.
--Ecology|||1|||||||
--Tourism|||1|||||||
--Environmental Economics|||1|||||||
--Planetary Economics|||1|||||||
--Sentient Earth|||1|||||||
--Max Routes|||1|||||||
Note bonus yield gains are not listed here, a seperate table for those can be done later if needed.

"Max Routes" This is the maximum total yield bonuses from the best route(s).

Route bonus follow this pattern:
If the improvement has a route bonus, it will be either a single :hammers: or :commerce: depending on the improvement type, and start at Road and carry forward into Paved Roads and all subsequent routes.
If the improvement warrants one more route bonus, it will be a single additional :commerce: first added at the railroad level and carried forward to all subsequent routes.

Tech pattern:
If an improvements ONLY is valid on a bonus, it does not have any base yields, as these are detailed (with greater variation) at the bonus level.

Along an upgrade chain, lf the tech yields are to techs mostly guaranteed to have been obtained before reaching the required tech for the upgrade, then the upgraded versions base yield should include the sum of the prior versions tech yields. In some cases, this often includes the "bridging tech" ie the tech that grants the upgrade, adding the final bonus yield, to be in effect during upgrading turns. A bridging tech yield is not always used though, and is mainly for improvements that have long turn times to upgrade.

Some tech yields are on both the prior version and the upgraded version of an improvement. These are not added in to the upgraded version's base yields. This is because the upgrade tech and this other tech are so close together but on different paths the player might have that tech before upgrading the improvement or might gain it afterwards.

All improvement upgrades are intended to also be directly buildable rather than waiting for an upgrade.

None of this is checked in yet. I don't have a sourceforge ID or check-in access, I want feedback first, and I am not done with the Build Infos, and text cleanup. I may not have time to finish the bulid/worker hookups and text clean-up before being away for a bit.

I deliberately chose not to address Forts, Watchtowers, etc for now. - let the Superforts stuff get working better.

Er.. what are the changes or is everything changing? Or are you only showing the changes?

I think that "Plant Forest" should never bee seen as it is what triggers the removal of the improvement (itself) and the addition of a feature ie the correct forest for the climate.

If I can get it to work beacon and lighthouse improvements should reduce the damage to units and increase their speed through the reefs.

Core Mine 10 2 Nanomining Mines New Improvement. This Is the only improvement that will be valid on peaks. Need custom graphic made to look nice when on a peak. (like tunnels goin into the mountain or something)

Totally disagree (part in Red). If used/implemented will destroy the Usable Mountains Option. And Mountains again become a late game after thought. This is the same mentality that kept Jungles from being used/considered "bad" terrain/wasted tiles in the game Until Jungle Camps Mod was created.

JosEPh

Top Bottom