A Tryst with Destiny

:goodjob:

The next update will be on tonight or tomorrow morning. We will see the battle of Gwadar and Samrat Pulovami and Julius Caesar strike a deal. I hope VGL is following this as the second phase of the updates won't be possible without his decision.

A month had passed since the march to Gwadar had begun. The army of Magadh, with the guidance of Paradraj and the leadership of Senapati Virappalli had scored a dozen victories over the Parasikas. A route was opened which took the army through sparsely forested lands on the West bank of the Sindhu river. These were lands where spices were cultivated, many of the Paradas made a living cultivating spices in their villages and selling them for a profit to traders in Bharata. Phraates had this stopped, and demanded they give their spices as tribute to the Parasika empire or face the sword.

As with everywhere else in the Parad kingdom, here too the hatred for Phraates' rule had driven the people of the land to rebellion. As the army of Magadh moved through the spice lands, village after village were liberated from the stranglehold of the Parasika empire. Three dozen villages gave three thousand volunteers who joined the militias of Paradraj.

These volunteers acted as the fifth column for the Army of Magadh. They would harass the enemy, give information on the enemy's position and destroy their infrastructure. They had spread far and wide across the land harrowing the Parasika defenses, easing the march of the Army of Magadh.

"There it is" Paradraj pointed out to a tall tower built on a barren hill. This was the outpost of raiders, from where Phraates terrorized the villages of the Spice lands to the North and the coast to the South.

The day was still young, and the men had hardly marched for an hour and Paradraj was eager to start the attack.
"Our enemy is at sight, I say we take them out now. Charge with your men and overwhelm them!"
Virappalli looked incredulously at Paradraj, "It is just one tower. The garrison may not be more than a few hundred."
He rode to the back of his army and summoned the siege engineers. "ready the catapults. position them on the flat of the hill."

The elephants pulled the massive catapults forward till they came within range of the tower. Twenty catapults were readied for bombardment. The elephants loaded rocks and boulders on it, while the engineers fixed the throwing arm of the catapult.

"What is your plan Virappalli?" Paradraj questioned,
"There is no need to waste our energy on a battle here. I intend to force a surrender out of them. A bombardment should do it."
"These raiders have plundered and terrorized my people, I will not be satisfied till I taste their blood on my lips!" Paradraj drew his sword,
"If you won't charge on, then I will."
"Keep your calm paradraj, you command more than three thousand men. Even if I let you move on your own, it won't be a battle, it will be a massacre.."
"Then so be it ! I want a massacre. I want those Parasik to know what it means to live in fear! I want them to know that they can't just get what they want at the point of a blade."
"So you mean to act like a Parasika and kill them in cold blood?"
"I mean to skin their hide and wear it on my shoulder."

Virappalli felt disgusted, 'and this was the man we are meant to aid?' he thought to himself. "If you mean to massacre them in cold blood, then you must answer to me. Remember this Paradraj, this army is under my command. It won't move if I do not let it."
"Your army is far from home, friendship with me is not so easily broken Senapati."
"I could say the same for you."

The two exchanged intense looks for a while, then Paradraj moved back frowning in disappointment. "ready... aim!" the Senapati ordered,
Virappalli raised his hand, then shouted "Fire!"

A score boulders launched into the air, fired at the outpost. It was not made for this kind of punishment, this was no fort. The boulders broke the topmost part of the tower then tore away at the base. Archers had taken hold in the parapets at the top of the tower, preparing for an attack by infantry and cavalry. The tower was positioned well to defend against attackers from the ground, it was built on a hill with a steep slope and surrounded by rings of palisades. The Parasikas perhaps never thought that this tower would face the catapults of the Army of Magadh.

The bombardment went on for an hour, the tower now seemed like half a ruin. "Keep firing" the Senapati ordered.
"No one is to charge at the tower on foot. The men at the tower will either surrender or be destroyed."

Five boulders hit the walls of the tower at once causing a portion of the building to collapse. A few moments later, a group of men were seen coming out of the tower waving a white banner. "We surrender" the sound was faint in the distance, but unmistakable. "We surrender.."

Two dozen men walked up to the catapults. Hundreds more made their way from the tower to surrender. The leader of the Parasikas came before Senapati Virappalli with a white banner in hand, "We surrender, spare us and we will help you."
"You were raiders and looters under the pay of Phraates. Many families have perished at your hand. Do you think you can evade justice with a promise of help?" Senapati Virappalli asked,
"They deserve no mercy !" Paradraj entered shouting, "I will have your head on a spike Parasik!" he unsheathed his sword.
"Mercyyy!" the Parasika pleaded
"There will be no bloodshed here! They have surrendered to us in peace! They will be punished for their sins, but not like this, not here. When this war is done, they will face trial."
"You are too honorable Senapati, one should not be too honorable." Paradraj sheathed his sword and walked away.

Senapati Virappalli could only remember a few moments in his life when he felt nervous, he did not like it. He would try to forget this moment. He turned to the Parasika prisoner and spoke,
"Your life is in my hand, Parasika. I have let you live for a while longer, and give you a chance at redemption. You will tell us, how far Gwadar is, and what is the strength of our enemy there."
"Yes, yes o noble one. We have been receiving regular reports from Gwadar, it is not more than a day's march South of here."
"Don't tell me things I already know." Virappalli was stern,
"There are only mercenaries defending Gwadar. But Phraates has placed his best commander there."
"Who?"
"Spahbod Sura. He commands the garrison of Gwadar."
"How good is he?"
"The best the empire has to offer."
'Then it will be a battle to remember' Virappalli thought, "What of the strength of the garrison?"
"Not less than nine thousand my lord. Three mercenary companies."
"What of the seas?"
"Pirates control the seas, but the mercenaries control the beach."

Senapati Virappalli contemplated the situation for a moment. 'So the pirates have unwittingly helped us in our endeavor. Gwadar is surrounded by foes North, South and East, their only respite would be from the West.'
"Very well then, our troops will rest here for the day. We will use your tower. Does it have a prison cell?"
"Yes my lord."
"Bharghav" he called his lieutenant, "Go with the archers and secure the tower, free any prisoner you find in the cell, we shall use it for our captives."

The night did not pass easily for Senapati Virappalli "You are much too honorable Senapati.." the words rang in his head till they gave him a migraine. He walked outside of his tent to look at the stars and breathe in the cool night air. The Parad lands were known to become exceptionally cold near winter, but winds tonight were soft, and gentle, cool but not cold.

To his right he heard noises coming out from the Parada encampment, it sounded like a quarrel. Then a man screamed in anguish "Aaaaaaahh", Virappalli rushed to the site . The paradas argued with the guards the Senapati had posted at the prison hold. Paradraj led the mob of no less than a hundred Parad militias. They wielded clubs, pitchforks, makeshift iron hammers, and every other imaginable makeshift tool but no real weapon. "We won't rest till I flay the skin of those prisoners!" "We want blood!" angry slogans filled the night air, 'By Krishna.!"

"What is happening here Paradraj?" Virappalli asked sternly,
"I will have my revenge. This is between me and the Parasikas. Stay out of this Virappalli!"
"They are prisoners of Magadh, they are my responsibility. Go back to your tents! All of you!"
"Stay where you are!" Paradraj ordered,
"Do not provoke me Senapati, this will not go down well."
"Why do you want to do this Paradraj? Vengeance is not justice."
Paradraj stepped down from his horse and approached the Senapati, "I had a nephew, a brilliant boy he was, but headstrong. One day he took it upon himself to challenge the Parasikas. I tried to talk him out of it, we weren't ready, but he was stubborn. He took a band of hundred warriors and stormed the tower. His men betrayed him, that is why he was caught with his brave volunteers. I pleaded with them, to let him go. They demanded ransom, I promised to return all the gold I captured from my raids. They were meant to buy food and necessities for the winter, for thirty villages at the border. When I gave them the ransom, they gave me my nephew back…. In pieces. Pieces!" His eyes started to swell as he said those last two words.

"They tortured that poor boy for a week, they flayed his arms and legs before they cut him. The fate of his men was no better, and this was done by that cretin you have holed up in that prison, who you defend! Such vile men do not deserve mercy Virappalli, I swear by the gods, I will have his hide before the sun rises on the horizon! Do what you must."

Virappalli had to think fast, he could see rage and determination in the eyes of Paradraj. No force on earth could stop him. "Guards!" he ordered, …. 'may the gods forgive me..' "Let the Paradas in." the guards opened the doors of the prison cell. A frantic yelling ensued from the Paradas, as they rushed into the prison hold. Virappalli turned away and walked back to his tent, while the Paradas massacred the prisoners. He would not easily come to terms with what he had done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning threw light on the horrors that had passed the night before. The bodies of the Parasika prisoners lay strewn across the ground mangled and mutilated, but their leader's corpse was most grizzly of all. "Paradraj kept his word" the Senapati said as he watched the flayed corpse hanging from broken wall of the tower.

The soldiers had assembled for their final march. Gwadar was a day's march and the Senapati had planned to march with the day's first light. The night's events had brought some other changes.

The Senapati and Paradraj had argued one final time before the march began, and it was agreed between them that their armies would march separately but strike together. "We will meet again in the field of battle." Paradraj said as he departed with his militia, "I shall bid you farewell then as I have bid you now." the Senapati replied.

It would be a long march to the Southern desert coast of the Parad lands. "These are all lands of Bharatvarsha…" the Senapati said to himself in a contemplative mood as he rode with his men.
"I say what happened to the Parasikas was right" the captain of the Kambojas said to the Senapati, "The Parasikas are friends to no one, and Phraates is the worst Parasika of them all. I stand by Paradraja's actions last night."
Senapati Virappalli thought it better not to answer to that. He preferred to ignore the events of last night.

"let us focus on the march. Very soon, we shall have to face our final battle." 'the sooner this affair ends the better', Virappalli thought. The sun was bright and high today, and the day was unusually hot for this season. The troops covered their hair in turbans and washed their faces as they marched on. The provisions of the tower was looted and added to the supplies of the army, it would last them another month at least.

It bothered Virappalli that they had not faced any battle so far, that their march had been without challenge. 'This is going too well. I have a bad feeling about this.' he thought to himself, he was someone who believed that when something goes too well, there was always something terrible around the corner. He was always a cautious man who would never expend more than was needed.

This leg of the march to Gwadar seemed like the most difficult phase of the march 'Did I make a mistake by letting the Paradas go ?' he thought, 'but I had no choice. He was getting out of hand, he was driven by vengeance. After that night….' Virappalli began to shudder at the thought of the flayed men. For a second, it seemed as though the men were Tamils and he could see Kanchipuram burning while soldiers shouted for vengeance. "Aaahhh!" the Senapati blurted out,
"What is the matter Senapati ? is everything alright?" Lieutenant Bharghav asked,
"Nothing is alright Bharghav, nothing is happening the way it should."
"I do not understand.."
"Not every one does."

The march went on till they came across a fertile grassland to the West. Cattle could be seen with cattle rearers, nearby was a village the Senapati guessed. Evening was coming, the sun had turned red and the skies a strange golden color that back in Bharat would be called the 'godhuli' or the dust of cows. This was the time when cattle would be walked back to their shed and rain would follow.
"The sun would not stay up for much longer. We will march for another hour and then stop." Virappalli ordered,
"Senapati, I say we send out a scout to see if Gwadar is in sight."
"Do so."

A scout was sent ahead of the convoy, he rode up to a hill not more than a leagues away. On the hill, he saw something and returned in haste.

"What did you see there?" Bharghav asked,
"Gwadar arya, I saw Gwadar."
'And so it begins'.

Spoiler :

They called it the war of lions. The banner of the Indians was three lions perched on a pedestal of justice, while the banner of the Parasikas showed a golden winged lion. A lion banner stood on both sides of the barricades of this war.

Spahbod Sura stood facing with the mercenary army against the oncoming invaders. He detested Gwadar, an agglomeration of refugees terrorized by Paradas in the North and Sindh pirates in the South. Mercenaries weren't the most loyal fighters, but Persia did not have any better now.
'Babylon had fallen, Artashat was gone, now the Army of Magadh is making its way to Gwadar while another army threatens Persepolis.' Sura thought to himself as he inspected the defenses.

"How long till the army of Magadh reaches Gwadar?" Sura asked his scout,
"In less than an hour. Their scouts had already mapped us out."
'Damn that fool of a king Phraates. He couldn't deploy a single unit to harrow their march' "Tell the mercenaries to move forward. Gwadar has no defenses, we will have to meet them in the open."

Spahbod Sura had joined with a hundred of his own men to add to the garrison of Gwadar, but the garrison remained overwhelmingly mercenary. These men were strong and fierce and fought with metal armor, but they were expensive. The mercenary companies had earlier been under the pay of the Indians, but the Indian emperor had seen it fit to transfer the contract to the Persians. Back then they were fighting the Greeks, but the Greeks were gone, now it was the Indians who came for Persia, and the Romans.

Sura had all the soldiers assembled before him. The spears in their gleaming bronze armor, the axemen from Hyksos and the Kushan warriors, nine thousand in all, stood in line to defend Gwadar. From across the horizon, the crimson lion banner of the Army of Magadh arose with the army of Magadh. The battle lines were drawn and a blood letting was about to begin.

"Ahura Mazda give me strength" Sura prayed, he turned to face his troops.
"Warriors of persia! Lend me your ears.
There comes a time in the life of a warrior, where he must prove his worth before the gods and before the spirits of his ancestors. That time has come upon us, to fight for victory or an honorable death!" Sura raised his sword, the light of the sun shone on it, for a moment it looked like Sura was carrying the weapon of the divine. "We fight for glory, we fight for the fatherland, we fight for the aryan race!" "For Persiaa!"
The soldiers chanted in unison, "For Persiaa!"

The army of Magadh came forth slowly but steadily. The Persians sounded their bugle of war, a loud but shrill sound. The Indians blew their conch shell, a thick low sound that rung through the air. 'Ahura Mazda guide me true'

Spoiler :

Spahbod Sura had known that defending Gwadar would be futile, but he had planned it so that he could lure the Indians into a trap where the armored mercenaries could do their most damage. He would not be able to defeat the army of Magadh, but he could damage them long enough for Persepolis to build its defenses.

Senapati Virappalli followed a defensive offensive strategy, as he did at the tower, so would he at Gwadar first crush the morale of the enemy with a bombardment, then overwhelm the enemy with superior numbers.

The catapults were positioned at the North West of Gwadar where they were defended by a unit of archers. The main army comprising of the axe infantry, swordsmen, archers and Kamboja horse archers would march south to face the enemy on the field of battle. Senapati Virappalli had known that Gwadar had no defensive walls, just palisades. It was not entirely unexpected that Spahbod Sura would meet them in open battle, so Virappalli had ensured that they would have the advantage of height over the enemy.

The hills of Gwadar gave the indian army that tactical advantage. Senapati Virappalli would not move down to face the enemy, until the catapults had done their work, but Spahbod Sura would have a surprise in store.

He had split his army and ordered a charge from three directions. A small force of Hyksos mercenary axemen would charge ahead together with his own elite Persian warriors, while a larger force of Hyksos would march with the Kushan spearmen to take out the catapults. A third company of spearmen would stand in reserve ready to destroy the Kamboja cavalry when they come to rescue the catapults. At least that is what Spahbod Sura calculated.

The Indian forces perched on the North Western hill began their bombardment. Huge rocks smeared in oil were lit with fire before being flung at the town of Gwadar. The palisades were burnt and broken, many huts and mud brick homes were seen burning. Smoke was billowing the town of Gwadar. 'I must not look back' Sura marched on bravely with a force of five hundred warriors. Their blades met and the fighting ensued. Sura's men fought bravely, but not the mercenaries. The Indians came down on them hard, with veteran trained troops, but the Hyksos mercenary company had only conscripts. Their captain and leader Antigonus, was more interested in money than in fighting. He ordered his men to retreat soon after the fighting had begun, "Cowards!" Sura shouted.

The Indian swords fought with wootz steel and a special skill in martial arts, which the Persians had no knowledge of, but the Persians had better armor. Sura's men held off the Indians for an hour, 'Come on, where are those damned Kushans!?'

To the west, a division of mercenary Hyksos and Kushan spearmen emerged from behind the catapults to capture the siege weapons. Four thousand men had the Indians surrounded from the West and South. They were closing in, Senapati Virappalli was struck with fear at the oncoming Kushans. As Sura had predicted, he would send in his best troops, the Kamboja horse archers to relieve the archers and siege weapons. To Sura's surprise, he did not send the Kamboja horse archers, but the armored axe men.

He sent the Kambojas to aid the swordsmen in crushing Sura's resistance. "No retreat ! No surrender!" Spahbod Sura announced, they were now down to their last dozen warriors. The hill face had been littered with blood and bones of fallen warriors. Sura's Persian warriors held off the Indian charge for hours but even the mightiest do fall in war. Sura called on the Tamil mercenary spearmen with his bugle.

Unbeknownst to Spahbod Sura, Captain Deva of the Tamil spearmen, was in fact Devappalli, the long lost brother to Virappalli. The night before the Army of magadh came, the Tamil spearmen discussed long and hard about what to do when faced with the troops of Senapati Virappalli. They had no love lost for the armies of the Magadh, but when he would face the army of Magadh led by the Senapati Virappalli, he would have to fight against his own kin. It was decided by the captain then, that neither he nor his men would fight the Army of Magadh when it comes. When Sura called them, they did not answer. The Spearmen simply stood there, till Captain Deva gave his order, "Spearmen! Disband!"

The mercenaries began walking away to the East. They had abandoned the cause of Persia, their kin came before their contract, and how not. Spahbod Sura could not believe his eyes, his strategy was falling apart, his men were betraying him. He then felt a sword strike his shoulder, and he fell to his knees. He looked up seeing Gwadar before him, covered in smoke and fire, he closed his eyes and a sword found his neck.

Spahbod Sura's resistance was crushed, now there was only the task of relieving the siege weapons. Senapati Virappalli was pleased at the way the battle was unfolding, things were going his way. The retreat of the mercenaries had made the task of securing Gwadar much easier.

"Send in the Kambojas to clear the remaining axemen" the Senapati ordered, the banner of the army was waved signaling the horsemen to attack. The Kamboja horsemen, fierce and warlike, rode down the hill slope like a horde of death. The fleeing Hyksos axemen were at the mercy of their arrows. Thousands were beating a hasty retreat only to be caught by the bolts of the horse archers.

While the Kamboja slaughtered their enemy on the plains, a fierce battle was unfolding on the hills. The scene became more chaotic with the entry of an old friend. Paradraj had arrived with his militia, now the axes and spears found themselves surrounded on two sides even as the axe wielding warriors of Magadh moved for the kill.

The axes and archers and militias made short work of the Kushans and the Hyksos freeing he siege weapons from destroying the rest of the palisades of Gwadar and setting fire to the city.

"This battle may be coming to an end." Virappalli noted, from his vantage point, he surveyed the battlefield. The mercenaries were now all on the route or retreated, Spahbod Sura was dead and his best troops had been destroyed. The Catapults had destroyed most of the flimsy defenses of Gwadar. Though the retreat of the Tamil mercenary spearmen had left the Senapati perplexed.

"Bharghav," Virappalli called his second in command,"Why do you think the Tamils deserted like that?"
"You, Senapati."
"Me?"
"They are Tamils, they would not fight another Tamil."
The thought had brought a smile to the Senapati's face.

"This battle is as good as over. Gwadar is to be taken." Senapati Virappalli raised his hand, and shouted "Forward March!"

Much before the Army of Magadh could reach Gwadar, Paradraj's militias reached the city. To the South of the beach of Gwadar, pirates lurked in wait. Paradraj sounded his horn, then the pirate ships started to make for the beach and hundreds of pirates landed on the beach.

Virappalli was perplexed by what he saw. "This isn't right.. Bharghav, do you see what I see."
"It is as clear as daylight Senapati, Paradraj is calling on the pirates !"

The troops were in disbelief, Senapati Virapalli had to think fast. Only the horsemen can catch up with the militias. He summoned the captain of the Kambojas "Get to Gwadar before Paradraj does, defend it against the pirates! Move fast!"

The captain rallied his men, and they raced against time to secure the settlement of Gwadar. A portion of the city was already destroyed and it seemed as though the fires were spreading from one brick house to another. The Kambojas rode fast, but Paradraj had already entered Gwadar and he began implementing is plan. As the Senapati and his men came closer, he could hear cries and wails of women and children from a distance and the sound of shattered glass and buildings falling.
"He means to destroy the town!"

Senapati Virappalli started to hallucinate, Gwadar was no longer Gwadar but Kanchipuram, the Parasik settlers being chased from their homes and slaughtered became Tamils. Virappalli could not control his tears, 'This can't be happening..' he marched with his troops to Gwadar "secure the city! We will fight the pirates and the Paradas!"
"Senapati? You mean to turn on our allies?.." Bharghav was shocked at the thought,
"I will not see innocents die without cause."
Bharghav blew his conch and signaled the men to be ready.

Gwadar was a burning mess, filled with the stench of burning buildings and mutilated bodies bleeding into the earth. The men would have to fight from home to home, in the narrow lanes of this port town. Sword for sword met with the militias of Paradraj and the pirates who came from the beach. The fighting was brutal and long, the mid day sun had started to set. Finally, Paradraj met with Virappalli.
"What gives you the right to kill my men Virappalli!?"
"The city belongs to the empire of Magadh. Their citizens are our's now."
"You promised this city would be mine! I am the King of the Paradas, I am the Paradraj! You swore that no injustice was befall my people."
"That was before you shunned every ounce of humanity. The unjust should not crave for justice!"
Paradraj got off his horse and unsheathed his sword, "This is the only justice in this world."

He struck at Virapalli, but Virappalli met every blow he gave. The Paradas were great fighters with bow and arrow, but not with the sword. Virappalli was the best Kalari fighter in Chola Nadu, skilled in the art of sword fighting and the urumi.

"I do not wish to kill you Paradraj."
"Talk later, fight now!"

They exchanged blow for blow, till Virappalli's patience wore thin. With one fatal swipe he cut Paradraj at his forehead. With another swipe he sliced his feet, and then stabbed his heart killing the King of the Paradas. Killing the Paradraj changed nothing.

Gwadar continued to burn and the militias continued their killing spree. The saffron and red flames danced against the dark night sky. Virappalli saw the city he tried to save burning, a child ran before him whose body was encased in fire. He felt defeated and sank to his feet and dug his bloodied blade into the ground.

"We must leave now Seanapati. This city is lost to us." Lieutenant Bharghav took his commander and made his way out of the dead city of Gwadar.

Thus, the first battle of the war of lions came to a close. But it was only the end of the beginning.

Spoiler :

Next week I'll be traveling to Chalukya country where I'll be off for a week between the 12th and 18th. There won't be any updates during that period. I am also taking off for today and may post an interim update later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Have a good time!

One month earlier

"Are you absolutely certain of this ?" Samrat Pulovami asked,
"As certain as day turns to night Samrat, General Mark Antony means to conquer Babylon and Atropane", the emissary of Europa replied.

Samrat Pulovami had not expected things to take such a turn. He had expected the war to be one solely between Persia and Bharata, but with Mark Antony's arrival, it was a whole new ballgame. Samrat Pulovami contemplated the situation briefly, then called upon the Royal Scribe, "Bring Mrityunjay here. We have some writing to do."

In another time, in another life, he was William Sayer, an amateur writer in America, but here he was Mrityunjay, the immortal scribe. He had been in Magadh for over four centuries now, he had witnessed the rise and fall of two dynasties before this and now witnessed the rise of the Satavahanas. Decades passed, monuments turned to rubble, but Mrityunjay remained.
"Maharajadhiraj Pulovami ki Jay." he saluted as he entered the throne room.
He brought with him, stacks of wooden leafs which were the traditional writing material, and some animal skin parchments, which were the standard for official foreign correspondences.

"A letter is to be written addressing the Roman Emperor, Julius Caesar. Follow my words closely."

"To emperor Julius Caesar, undisputed and magnanimous emperor of Rome. Chakravartin Samrat Pulovami, the first of his name, King of Kings, gives his greetings.

Our empires are today at war with one common foe. That foe, is the lion of Persia, Emperor Phraates and his godforsaken domains. It has come to my knowledge that General Mark Antony means to march on the Western provinces of the Parthian empire. This comes at a time, when our armies, which outnumber the Persians two to one, march from the East. Simpler men may see in this mere coincidence, but I see providence. The gods have willed the end of Phraates and the end of Persia, and that is why our armies march from both ends. It is therefore, my wish that we align our efforts and to bring an end to the Parthian emperor.

We shall soon have Gwadar, and all the lands of the Parad kingdom, which you will know as Gedrosia. Another army marches from the North straight to Persepolis. There we shall have the Parthians surrounded from North and South with a vast army. In this time the legions of Rome shall storm Babylon and Artashat leaving the Parthians only Susa.

I shall send to you my emissary who will be my messenger to you at all times during the course of this war. With him, I am sending Mrityunjay…" Mrityunjay was startled, he stopped writing momentarily, "Why did you stop.. keep writing" the emperor ordered.

"…With him, I am sending Mrityunjay, my scribe, who has knowledge of your language and people. When the time is ripe, he shall give to you the plan for the endgame. The day Gwadar falls, shall be the beginning of the end of Persia."

"Make two copies of this letter, one in Sanskrit and another in Latin. You do know latin do you not Mrityunjay?"
"yes samrat."
"Good. Then you will go with Gyanbhakt the emissary and stay at Rome for the duration of the war. You will be called back when the time is right."
The emperor then walked to Mrityunjay with slow deliberate steps. He looked at the emissary Gyanbhakt, "leave us."
The emperor then whispered into Mrityunjay's ear, the full extent of the plan he had in mind. Mrityunjay's eyes widened in disbelief, but one could only expect Samrat Pulovami to be devious.

"Is that understood then?"
"Yes your majesty."
"Good. Then prepare yourself for a long journey. "You are to go there through the land route from Herat. Be discreet, be cautious."
"As you bid your majesty."
"you may go now."

Mrityunjay bowed and left the throne room. He did not like the idea of going to Rome. It was over seven decades since he was in Rome. It was a different time, and a different emperor who sent him there to act as the emissary. "..Not Rome again.." he muttered, "God I can't believe this… I hope I don't get lynched there. Oh Sebastian.. can you ever forgive me..." the memories started coming back to him, memories he would rather forget, but that is the curse of the immortal. The immortal lives whilst others die around him.

Mrityunjay kept a skull in his room, a reminder of his errors in Rome which cost him the life of a dear friend and the unending anger of a woman who will never forgive. He picked up the skull and looked into the empty holes which were once eyes and kept it back in his trunk.

He looked over a Roman map which detailed the trade route between Rome and Herat. It was a perilous journey over land, one made more perilous by war, but the samrat's orders were the samrat's orders. One would shudder to think the cost of disobeying Samrat Pulovami.

One month later

Gwadar had fallen. The news had sent cheer all over the realm, but nowhere more than in Magadh. Samrat Pulovami celebrated the occasion with a great feast. The victory was occasioned with the emperor crowning himself as Pulovami Vikramaditya. Brahmin scholars in the realm counted this day as the beginning of the Vikram era.

Whilst India rejoiced in victory at Gwadar, the streets of Rome celebrated the triumphant return of Marcus Antonius from Babylon. Mrityunjay watched on from the diplomatic guest house at Rome as the procession passed through the streets. He had been informed of the fall of Gwadar, though he had been spared the more unsavory details of that battle.

He had spent one month in Rome, it was both strange and familiar. Rome was no longer a republic but a dictatorship. What was once a small kingdom now seemed a vast empire spanning the entire length of the mediterranean sea. With the conquests in Persia, the boundaries of the empire would be pushed farther East into Asia. Mrityunjay walked with emissary Bharghav to Caesar's palace, while he mused on the affairs of the world.
"Heh, history has turned on its head Bharghav."
"How so your excellency?"
"In my world.. where I was from before I came here. We learnt about a Caesar. That Caesar would have died twenty years ago. The Rome you see now, would be in civil war. India .. Bharat.. was one place we did not learn much about."
"It seems that the history of your world was very unfair to us?"
"Perhaps."

Mrityunjay felt a strange sense of irony, musing over world history while actively working to change it. 'Where is all of this leading to ..?' he thought to himself. But more things change the more they stay the same. Slavery remained in Rome, a familiar if unpleasant sight. Rome still remained Rome, that seemed more obvious as he walked down the hallways of the Caesar's palace, till they were met with Caesar's guards.

"I wish to speak with Caesar. Tell him, Vilinius has important news from India." 'Vilinius' was an adopted name, a latin modification of his real name, William.

The guard went inside to seek Caesar's permission. After some time, the gates of Caesar's palace were open to him.

"Hail Caesar." he saluted. "Hail Caesar!" Bharghav followed.

Caesar himself came forth to greet them, "Come, come my friends. There is good news all around, word of Marcus' victory in Babylon and Atropane, and I presume word of victory for the great Indian army in the battle of Gwadar?"
"Yes your excellency. Gwadar has fallen."
"Fallen you say? Don't you mean burnt and butchered to the last man, woman and child?"
"Your excellency .. I don't follow."
"It seems your own people are hiding the truth from their high officers. It makes no matter. India was victorious in this battle, now I presume you will tell me of your emperor's true designs? Take a seat."

That was the purpose of this visit after all. Samrat Pulovami had proposed an alliance, which Caesar did accept, but under condition of secrecy. Caesar was a man who had come to power through intrigue, and who knew how to prevail over his enemies through cunning and deception Pulovami, was no different. The war at this stage, was a war of shadows, where victory was decided through intrigue not battle.

"Samrat Pulovami offers complete annihilation of Persia. In his scheme, he offers the partition of the domains of the Parthian Empire between Rome and india. The empire of Magadh shall exercise suzerainty over Persepolis and all lands East thereof, while Rome shall have suzerainty over all lands West of Persepolis including the province of Susa."

"What is the prevent Rome from gaining these provinces on its own? What does india have to offer that Rome cannot gain?"
"What India has to offer, your excellency, is the conquest of an empire, without a single drop of Roman or Indian blood being shed."

That caught Caesar's attention. He leaned forward and looked Mrityunjay in the eyes incredulously, while he steepled his fingers.

"Go on."

Mrityunjay explained Samrat Pulovami's plan for the next two hours while Caesar listened intently. In Caesar's palace, the scheme to end the war of lions was put into motion. It would neither be peaceful nor bloodless. Caesar and Mrityunjay discussed and agreed over the details of the plans. The next phase of the plan would require him to move to the conquered territory of Atropane. From there he would oversee the successful implementation of Samrat Pulovami's grand scheme before moving back to India.

When the discussions were done, Mrityunjay left the palace and made his way back to the guest house. Emissary Bharghav was not told of the plan till today.

"Arya Mrityunjay, if I may say something… about this plan"
"Yes Bharghav. What is on your mind?"
"I had joined the foreign services when Samrat Vedistri was still the emperor of Bharat. Even then, when Samrat Pulovami was only a prince of Magadh. There was talk about his ruthlessness and cunning. Now that I heard the true extent of this plan, I can see why they say so. Did you know the poets sing a sonnet about him?"
"A sonnet for Samrat Pulovami ? Now that is new to me.. Can you recite it ?"
"This was composed after the death of the last Chola King and his heir. It goes like this -

'And who are you, the proud prince said, that dares to stand,
Only a cat with a different coat Thats all the truth I know,
A coat of gold a coat of red, A tiger too has claws,
And mine o lord are long and sharp, as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke and so he spoke, That arrogant king.
And now the waves cry by his halls, with not a soul to hear.
Oh the waves cry by his halls, with not a soul to hear.'"

The rainclouds thundered and a drizzle fell on the streets of Rome, as Bharghav recited the song of Pulovami.

Link to video.

Wow, now that is a mysterious return of William Sayer. Nice stories! I could only finish reading them now.

I hope we update the term in the Caliphate so you may post your orders before you go away.

I was going to work today but that was postponed to tomorrow, so today I have time. If you need my skills Samrat, I'm ready to help. (BTW, what does Samrat mean? I have my assumptions but I would like a detailed explanation)

Samrat means emperor :) . I can't give the detailed description of the origin of the term, but Ashok used the title Samrat. I guess its origin comes with the word samrajya. Rajya = Country Samrajya = unity of many countries.

Atlantic said I could use William Sayer for this part of my story. I've worked out a deal with him around this you could say :) . I'm going to wait for his review before telling you the identity of the skull though ;).

I think i said i will capitulate to you NOW. Not razing cities and making less cities to control.

Emperor of Persia, I'm a-Phraates, it's too late :p

@VGL : I thought I had explained in the message I sent you already that Gwadar had been destroyed.

The situation in Persia is presently like this :

You have lost Babylon and Artashat to the Romans and Gwadar is burnt.

The Northern army which has an elephant in it, is on the iron mines. While Persepolis is defended by a division of immortals, a Judean archer and a normal archer with city garrison upgrade.

The army of Magadh has two catapults all of which survive but damaged. The army of Magadh is intact including a horse archer and several powerful infantry units.

Meanwhile, the army of Mark Antony (4 legionaries + 2 catapults) can make their way to Susa which is defended by two hoplites.

War of Lions - Downfall

The war was not going well for Emperor Phraates, and it was the people of Persia who had to pay the price for his failings. The Parthian empire had lost more than half of its land. The once vast empire was reduced to the area of Susa and Parsa. The Parthian homeland now belonged to the Kambojas.

Phraates sat on the throne with his ministers and advisors. The Home minister spoke first, "The Northern army has traversed Parthia and has secured a base around the iron mines. They are within reach of our mining operations and it has come to my knowledge that the its leader Aditya intends to destroy our iron mines."

"Theirs is not the main army, when Spahbod Sura defeats the main army of Magadh at Gwadar this force will have no choice but to retreat, then we can dictate peace with Samrat Pulovami."

An awkward silence fell across the room, Emperor Phraates had not yet heard of the news. That Gwadar was destroyed and Spahbod Sura was martyred in its defense. One minister looked at the other, till the foreign minister, Hormazd decided to be bold, "O King of kings, Gwadar is no more. Spahbod Sura has been martyred in its defense. It is said he killed many Indians before meeting death."

Emperor Phraates stood up with a shock, he could not believe what he had just heard. His silence hid his anger. "Everyone leave this room, except Hormazd, Dariush and Rustom." Everyone left the throne room, except the foreign minister, the acting commander of forces, and the chief domestic advisor.

"When did this happen?" The emperor asked in a stern voice.
"The scouts had travelled for three days from the ruins of Gwadar till they arrived in Persepolis. So three days your majesty."
"You knew this for three whole days and none of you had the guts to tell me!!" the emperor shouted furiously, "Do I have a ministry full of cowards, lackwits and fools?! Is this what Persia has come to!"
"That damned Sura … That thrice damned honorable fool!.."
"Your majesty, the Indians had us outnumbered almost three to one, Gwadar had no defenses.."
"Don't give me excuses Dariush! Hah.. Dariush.. Of all the great men you had to be named for, you were named for a traitorous coward who sold off Persia! Acting commander of armed forces? You are better off acting the fool!"
"And you Hormazd, I should never have trusted your damned advice. What was it you said? The Indians are cowards who will never attack ? Look at what they just did !"
"I should never have decided to take Gwadar, I should have just given that worthless slum over to the Indians when Samrat Vedistri had asked for it. Well now his damned son Pulovami can enjoy its ashes!"
"Your majesty please calm down," Rustom tried to console, "Now is not the time to act in rage."
Phraates answered those consolations with a punch to the face. "Don't tell me to calm down Rustom! You.. you .. you, You are the most useless worthless man I've ever seen!"

After venting out his rage, Phraates calmed down and fell on his throne. "The Romans have taken all our Western provinces, the Indians threaten us from North and South. I have lost Gwadar." he said with deep breaths,
"And if this war goes on, I may lose Susa and Persepolis too."
"More than three centuries ago, Persia had a ruler who knelt. For a hundred years we remained slaves of a foreign invader, then arose stronger than before."
"Hormazd, draft a treaty of surrender. Write to Samrat Pulovami expressing our desire to surrender to the Empire of Magadh. Make it so, that we keep is ours, and secure the protection of India. Perhaps they may help us against the Romans…"

It was a fool's hope, to expect that india would ever fight Rome to take back lands which belonged to Persia, but Phraates realized that he was out of options. The future of Persia hung in the balance, and she could either kneel and survive or be cast to the graveyard of history where past civilizations lay as mere tombstones. Phraates would thus be the last independent Parthian emperor, whose legacy it would be to save his people from complete ruin. But for Phraates himself, fate and Pulovami had other designs.

The heavy wet Indian winter was a stark contrast to the dry cold winters of Persia. Hormazd had travelled under a peace banner ensuring immunity from attacks. He carried with him a treaty of peace and surrender, that would bring an end to the war of lions, but in his mind he knew this treaty would be nothing but a dead letter.

Hormazd arrived at Pataliputra three weeks after he departed from Persia. He was tired and fatigued, but knew the many comforts of the palace of Pataliputra would nurse him back to vitality. The palace of Pataliputra was a wonder in itself, a marvel of wood, stone and gold. Over the centuries it underwent numerous expansions and repair as successive emperors added their own mark on the palace. The silver fountain and gilded pillars of the hundred pillared hall were the addition of Chandragupt Maurya, while the gardens were the legacy of emperor Bimbisar and his wife. The grand courtyard of the palace was again the legacy of Emperor Satakarni, the first emperor of the ruling Satavahan dynasty.

Hormazd was brought before Emperor Pulovami who sat resplendent in gold on the lion throne of Magadh in the hundred pillared hall. "Long live emperor Pulovami! May your enlightened reign be long and prosperous" Hormazd saluted, "I come as an emissary of peace from Emperor Phraates. Our ruler has realized the folly of challenging the might of India and now we are threatened from East and West. It is the humble wish of Emperor Phraates that there be peace between our empires as there had been for hundreds of years past. For this, we come with a treaty."

"You are welcome to the palace of Pataliputra. As an emissary of peace, you will be accorded every respect that is your right as a diplomatic emissary You have travelled long to reach here, I shall have attendants to cater to your needs." Pulovami summoned the royal attendants "Take our esteemed guest to his quarter. Ensure that he is taken care of. We shall discuss the treaties in the morning after when our minds are fresh and healthy."

Hormazd looked into Samrat Pulovami's eyes and the two exchanged a smile. The morning next day, Pulovami, and Hormazd met alone to discuss the terms of peace.

"Now. tell me what Phraates desires." Samrat Pulovami started,
"This your excellency, is the treaty of peace that Emperor Phraates has decreed be signed. I will read it out now.

' The king of Kings Emperor Phraates of Persia decrees that peace is in our mutual interest. While India has proven itself with possessing the strength to overwhelm Persia, I can assure that Persia still has enough strength to defend her cities and make the war irreparably expensive for any foe. However, neither India nor Persia has anything to gain from continuing this wasteful war.

Thus, I emperor Phraates have in my infinite generosity deemed it fit to make peace with you Emperor Pulovami of India. To seal this peace, I shall offer to surrender to your control the protection of Persia against all her enemies. It will only bode well for the both of us, if all lands stolen by Rome is restored to Persia, and for which India would give us its assistance.

Thus, shall peace truly last between us. '

'Heheh, hahahahahahaha!" Samrat Pulovami had tried hard to suppress his laughter, but at the end of the letter. "haahahahaha!" Hormazd soon joined him in the derisive laughter.

"Arya Hormazd, you are truly a master of flattery. How could you not laugh at this message?"
"I will tell you truly your excellency, it was most difficult to try not to laugh at this letter. Most of it as you may have guessed was dictated by Phraates."
" I do not doubt it was."
"We have our own agenda of course. I have secured the support of all other noblemen in Persepolis. "
"Yes, so it is. For long had we nurtured our ally. Now I think it is time that we put our plan to motion."
"Everything has gone according to plan."
"Indeed it has, and might I say you have played your role spectacularly Hormazd. You shall be justly rewarded in our new order of things."
"Your excellency, you are much too kind."
"There is still the issue of responding to this offer."
"That is true, what is your plan emperor ?"

Samrat Pulovami steepled his fingers and thought on this matter for sometime. "Tell Phraates, I accept his terms."
"What ? Accept ? But why ?"
"Tell him, that we will sign this treaty at the Herat. There he is at liberty to bring his troops if he feels the need for protection."
"but .. our plan?"
"Oh Hormazd, you know me. Do you really think I will accept this farcical treaty? No, let Phraates come to Takshashila, we shall.. 'welcome him' ."

Oh boy, incoming stab in the back!

Emperor Phraates thought that he had achieved a diplomatic master-stroke with the treaty of surrender. By his own calculations, India would defend Persia and her borders and retake its lost cities on behalf of the Parthian empire. Hormazd assured him of the same, stating emphatically that Samrat Pulovami had accepted every term of the treaty unequivocally.

Phraates marched on with his cavalcade of ministers, attendants and soldiers, five hundred in all, to Takshashila. His own personal guard composed of an elite group of Immortals were responsible for his security. These were the best fighters in all of Persia handpicked by Emperor Phraates.

"There stands Takshashila, King of Kings." Hormazd pointed out to the great Indus river and the beautiful city that overlooked it. The fires of the temple of Brahma could be seen from the hills. Awaiting them below the hills and across the river, was Emperor Pulovami with the garrison of Takshashila numbering five thousand highly trained archers.

"You are positive the emperor has accepted our terms.. unequivocally ??" Phraates asked Hormazed nervously.
Hormazd replied, "Why do you worry my emperor ? The treaty has been accepted and now you are going to sign it. Believe me when I say so your majesty, there is absolutely nothing to worry about."
"Somehow.. this all feels too easy. Why would he call me to Takshashila ?"
"Perhaps because he believes this treaty would be blessed by the gods here ? Takshashila is a sacred city for the Indians and their emperor is reputed to be a very religious man."
"So it seems. But still…."

Phraates' doubts remained. Those close to him knew of his troubled relationship with his sons. After he had seized the throne through assassinating his brothers and murdering his own father, his eldest son Tiridates rebelled against him. For his crime, Phraates had imprisoned him and his younger brothers in the dungeons of Persepolis. Then one day, it was heard that the eldest son escaped. Phraates' cruelty was complemented by his paranoia, that one day his son would do to him what he had done to his own father.

So Phraates had initiated a manhunt against Tiridates. The hunt went on for a year but there was no sight of the escaped son, till one day a corpse was found in the deserts of Parthia, wearing the royal ring that Tiridates was known to wear on his right hand index finger. It was announced that prince Tiridates was dead and the corpse was his. Though Phraates announced the death of Tiridates, he never truly believed his own words. The corpse was beyond recognition, it could have been anyone. For all he knew, it could well have been one of Tiridates' followers dressed in his clothes to hide his escape 'but to where?..'

Bugles and conch shells were blown to greet Phraates through the gates of Takshashila. The men came in boats across the wide expanse of the magnificent Indus river. Emperor Pulovami had announced a grand feast in honor of Phraates' arrival. Troupes of dancers performed for the emperor, a hundred lords and noblemen gave gifts of gold and silver in honor of Phraates' arrival, and there was a grand feast with the most delicious food in the world.

The Persian soldiers were greeted by the womenfolk of Takshashila famed for their beauty and hospitality. They rested in the numerous comfort houses of the city and were engrossed in the many vices of the city.

The festivities and performances went on, till Phraates entered the stately governor's mansion at Takshashila. This would be the chosen place of signing the peace treaty with Phraates. Emperor Phraates, Minister Hormazd, Amatya Chakravarty and Samrat Pulovami gathered in the governor's hall. Hormazd brought out the seal of Persia, a large silver seal designed to resemble a roaring lion, while Amatya Chakravarty brought out the seal of Magadh, a large wooden block covered in gold leaf sculpted in the shape of the lion insignia of the Magadhan empire. Thus, did the last act of the war of lions begin.

Samrat Pulovami announced, "With this treaty, our warring empires shall at last be at peace!"
"I now welcome you to join us for the day's festivities."
"I have no love for your festivities." Phraates replied with scorn,
Then Hormazd intervened and explained, "Your majesty, it may not be wise to reject the emperor's offer. It would be an insult on our hosts if we do not stay."
"Hm, very well then, we will stay."

The days festivities went on. Emperor Phraates was kept entertained by dancers and musicians at his beck and call. The Persian soldiers made themselves comfortable in the numerous inns and brothels that dotted Takshashila. Others found pleasure in entertaining themselves in the city's numerous gambling dens. More money was lost than was made that day, but the gamblers and innkeepers of Takshashila grew wealthier than before.

Day turned to night, and Phraates was invited for a great show at the governor's mansion where Pulovami had called for a grand dinner party before bidding his 'new found friends' farewell.

Samrat Pulovami had called some of the best actors and dramatists of the empire for this grand feast. If the festivities in the morning were grand, they would pale in comparison to the feast held at night. The most sumptuous food was prepared for the emperor and his attendants that night. They would dine with Samrat Pulovami in the great hall of the governor's mansion, but only after witnessing the plays that the drama troupes had prepared. The Ramayana was played out before him, then the Mahabharat, and then Pulovami's own personal favorite, the signet ring of the devil depicting the rise and fall of the Nanda Dynasty from the first Samrat of Bharat, Dhrittiman to the last of the Nanda rulers, Dhananand.

"I do hope you are enjoying this your excellency?" Samrat Pulovami asked, but got no answer from Phraates.
"His royal highness does not easily express happiness your majesty, but rest assured he is fully content at the night's entertainment."
"And how did you enjoy the play Arya Hormazd?"
"We in Persia have heard praise of the skill of Indian dramatists. Now I see why."
"The next round of performers will be musicians." With two claps Samrat Pulovami summoned the musicians.

The first played the lute, the other a group of Tabla players and the third played string instruments. Yet for all their musical brilliance, Phraates remained in a pensive mood. The night's festivities were to end in a grand dinner hosted by the Samrat for Phraates and his followers. Samrat Pulovami had ordered that the tabla players and lute players to play while the guests fed themselves.

Phraates had kept his guards at the gates of the hall, the doors were closed from within. All the men ate in merriment, all except Phraates, the emperor without an empire, the man who sold the freedom of the Persians, so Persia may live. The thought hung heavy on him. An hour passed without notice, and Samrat Pulovami arose, addressing a hall filled with guests, most of them Persian.
"Please excuse me your majesty, I need to relieve myself." Hormazd walked out.

Link to video.
Listen to this while you read the remainder

Pulovami began, "My friends and brothers, Persians and Bharatiya. We are gathered here to celebrate the peace between our two nations. That peace, which is signed by the rightful samrat of Bharata, I, Pulovami,.. and the rightful emperor of Persia, the 'king of kings' Emperor Phraates."

Pulovami brought out the treaty and showed it before all, "And this treaty is our mark of friendship and peace. So that our people may live in harmony."

Pulovami then tore the treaty into four parts and threw it to the ground. "Folly ! I declare this treaty to be void!" Phraates was filled with rage, his eyes reddened, while the other delegates from Persia were left gaping, stunned at the suddenness of it all.

Pulovami pointed to Phraates and said, "I declare this man, to be a usurper. For he is not the rightful heir of Persia." "Nikolasa, call the soldiers!" Within moments dozens of armored infantry filled the hall. "Seize this man, and all his minions in this hall!" "I sentence every Persian in this hall to death! For the crime of treason against the Samrat of Bharat!"

"You traitor! You Traitor ! You have no honor!" Phraates shouted, and went for the table knife and attacked Samrat Pulovami, but Pulovami grabbed his hand before he could land a strike. A guard came forth and beat Phraates to the ground. Pulovami then drew a sword from underneath his seat, and stabbed Phraates in the heart.

"Tiridates sends his regards" were the last words he heard from the mouth of Samrat Pulovami in the din of screams and shouting.

Merriment turned to tragedy. The soldiers were violent in the manner in which they brought the Persian nobles to heel, they were trained to be ruthless and they proved the worth of their training. They stabbed and slashed, and pulled the noblemen by their robes to slit their throats.
"Mercy! Mercy! I surrender!" a nobleman pleaded. ssslishh, the spear cut through his throat. A few tried to escape through the sealed gate, these few were brought down with half a dozen stabs each. They pulled the hapless men by their hair and flowing Persian robes. Before long the massacre was ended and Pulovami walked through the blood and gore to the gate, to inspect his work.

The scene at the governor's mansion was the least of the violence in Takshashila that night. The scenes outside mimicked a small hell as every Persian soldier was killed in cold blood. Drunk in luxury and vice, these men trained in battle could not raise so much as a finger when the foot soldiers of the garrison of Takshashila swarmed through the streets killing Persians at will. They barged into pleasure houses and gambling dens to conduct their macabre task.

When the sun rose over the city, the true extent of the brutality was revealed. Bodies were strewn everywhere, the streets were reddened with blood. The great hall of the governor's mansion bore the most gory sight of all, but none was worse than the sight of Phraates' mangled corpse fixed on a bloody spear. The emissary Hormazd stood as a spectator of the night's massacre.

With a sly smile on his lips and a content stare he muttered to himself, "Sarve narã Mriyantãm"

Phraates is killed and Persepolis, conquered.

btw Tiridates is -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiridates_II_of_Parthia

Tiridates II of Parthia was set up by the Parthians against Phraates IV in about 32 BC, but expelled when Phraates returned with the help of the Scythians. Tiridates fled to Syria, where Augustus allowed him to stay, but refused to support him.
During the next years Tiridates invaded Parthia again; some coins dated from March and May, 26 BC, with the name of a king "Arsaces Philoromaios," belong to him; on the reverse they show the king seated on the throne, with Tyche stretching out a palm branch towards him. He was soon expelled again, and brought a son of Phraates into Spain to Augustus. Augustus gave the boy back to his father, but declined to surrender "the fugitive slave Tiridates."

Top Bottom